Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Flashy Dyes and Epilepsy

CelticmossCelticmoss
Mabinogi Rep: 750
edited October 29, 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions
Flashy dyes seem fun and all but someone is going to have a seizure one day. Like no joke, some of those speeds are insanely fast and Nexon will most definitely get sued if it happens and I don't know what that would do to Mabi. I know this game has been going strong with flashy dyes so I'm suggesting that we have have an option to turn off the visuals. I've been playing since the beginning and they've always given me visual issues and headaches. I know others who've complained about them as well and had to blacklist users who were wearing flashies (which seems unfair). Anyways, please consider it.
Niought

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Celticmoss wrote: »
    Flashy dyes seem fun and all but someone is going to have a seizure one day. Like no joke, some of those speeds are insanely fast and Nexon will most definitely get sued if it happens and I don't know what that would do to Mabi. I know this game has been going strong with flashy dyes so I'm suggesting that we have have an option to turn off the visuals. I've been playing since the beginning and they've always given me visual issues and headaches. I know others who've complained about them as well and had to blacklist users who were wearing flashies (which seems unfair). Anyways, please consider it.

I suppose under game settings they could implement a check-box where the game just displays, say, the first colour in the (gif?) resource file. Although this is a medical issue, it would still be unfair to the owners of the flashy clothes to have to give them up. So this suggestion would be a win/win.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    edited November 2, 2023
    This has been talked about before.

Turn your camera away or unfortunately...mods. Because I know there is a mod that turns off flashy which is something Nexon should just implement. It's not the first time they have implemented a feature that was originally available as a mod and they should do it for this.

For the record modding is against the ToS and I can not condone it here on this particular website for obvious reasons.
    Niought
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited November 2, 2023
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    This has been talked about before.

Turn your camera away or unfortunately...mods. Because I know there is a mod that turns off flashy which is something Nexon should just implement. It's not the first time they have implemented a feature that was originally available as a mod and they should do it for this.

For the record modding is against the ToS and I can not condone it here on this particular website for obvious reasons.

If there is a mod out there that turns off flashing and Nexon shows a history of incorporating mod capabilities into the game, and why not, Mojang does it all the time and I understand Minecraft has sold well, then Nexon should add this feature before someone gets hurt. The intern assigned to do it could, say if they need to, download the mod and run it through a decompliler to get an idea of what to do. I mean, it's a mod, how big can it be?
    Twelie
  • TwelieTwelie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,850
    Helsa wrote: »
    snip
    They could even just ask. I'm sure most modders would be ecstatic to see their creation become a part of the official game.
  • ElebonElebon
    Mabinogi Rep: 840
    Member, Administrator, Nexon
    Hi Ya'll,

Just wanted to let you know I've forwarded your concerns and feedback/suggestions regarding flashy dyes to the rest of the team!

I don't have the emote marker like I do for the suggestions in Discord, but rest assured, I am looking through these forums for all the suggestion and feedback as well! :smiley:
    NioughtAmaraz
  • NioughtNiought
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    I hope something gets done about it. While I know its unfair to some people with flashy outfits, some are so fast that its not even appealing and I can't help but wonder if its people just trolling around. It makes me sad. But anyway, a visual option would be a great fix so flashy dyes wouldn't have to get removed altogether (which might've been what I had been quietly thinking this whole time)

That being said, it'd probably be for the best if that option to hide flashing dyes is already toggled on or at least in a very obvious place for those with medical issues who are new to the game?
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    Or at least a speed setting that slows down the flashing.
  • Atheist42Atheist42
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,680
    There is indeed a long history of players requesting the ability to turn off the display of flashy dyes. It's not just an issue for those with epilepsy. Flashy dyes also cause havoc for vision impaired players, as described in this thread from 2018. As it is, whenever I see flashies, I immediately add the player to my blocklist. No exceptions.
    Niought