Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Making more outfits Genderswapped

FlaireFlaire
Mabinogi Rep: 440
in Feedback and Suggestions
I just got the new ocean box admiral outfit M and its so cute... But I really would rather play female model :( would love if they made it optional rather than strict... That and the sunglasses hair in the ocean box. Why is a hair with glasses genderlocked?

Make more outfits genderswappable please :(
NioughtAmarazGschoener1Keichiro

Comments

• NioughtNiought
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    I agree, I feel similarly about the Hyperspace outfits and tons of other females wear that I can't equip cause I prefer playing as a boy.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Just remove all limitations: gender, race, age, and so on.
    AmarazGschoener1
  • NioughtNiought
    I would really love that
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,745
    Agreed. Get rid of gender locked clothing.
    Niought
  • Atheist42Atheist42
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,680
    We've already got clothing that magically fits both elves and giants. Seems totally reasonable that it should also be able to fit both male and female characters.

Or we could take it a step further in support of gender diversity. There really aren't any game mechanics that rely on gender. So why not eliminate gender entirely. On each rebirth you get to choose a body shape, which would include the current existing two gendered options, but renamed with non-gendered terms like "curvy" and "chunky", but could also include other options that don't conform to any existing gender norms.
    AmarazNioughtKeichiro
  • NioughtNiought
    Atheist42 wrote: »
    Or we could take it a step further in support of gender diversity. There really aren't any game mechanics that rely on gender. So why not eliminate gender entirely. On each rebirth you get to choose a body shape, which would include the current existing two gendered options, but renamed with non-gendered terms like "curvy" and "chunky", but could also include other options that don't conform to any existing gender norms.

Ohh, that's a pretty interesting idea!
  • MikunennaiMikunennai
    Mabinogi Rep: 590
    I wholly agree with the idea of removing gender restrictions on clothing, but I cannot agree with the idea of removing the gender options without adding pronoun options.

The gender options do affect certain parts of the game, such as the way story NPCs refer to your character (Incubus King referring to your character as either a "beautiful lady" or a "wanderer" depending on your current gender as an example) as well as incubus/succubus AI patterns and dialogue.

As someone who struggles to find gender affirming games where I can play as a woman and have my character properly gendered, having all gender options removed would mean that NPCs would never properly gender my character, which would be hurtful and a real loss. I think a better version of what you proposed would be to have body type not be gendered, and be able to separately choose the pronouns the NPCs will refer to you with.

But TBH, going back to the original thread idea, I think Mabi's current system is already fairly LGBTQ+ inclusive (Gay marriage, Transing your gender upon rebirth) and only needs a few tweaks in order be great.

Here are my ideas-
    1. Make all outfits available to all races and genders/body types.
    With the Mabinogi Eternity Project on the horizon, this is something I really hope they start working towards.
    2. Add third gender option/body type.
    We currently only have the two binary genders, and while being able to freely switch between them is a good start, I think we should have an option that is associated with neither, a they/them milletian option if you will.
    3. Add pronoun options.
    This one is absolutely necessary if they remove the current gender system. Ideally pronouns and body type would be decoupled so if you want to use he/him while playing a character using the feminine body type you would be able to.
    NioughtKeichiro
  • NioughtNiought
    I do agree that they're doing really good about being LGBTQ+ inclusive already, plus its nice that we have "eluned" wear. Your ideas also sound really good, and the pronouns thing was a good call. How npcs refer to us almost completely slipped my mind.
  • KeichiroKeichiro
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    Plenty of great ideas in this thread! I've personally found myself sulking several times over perfectly neutral-looking outfits and hairstyles that my male character cannot wear because of... reasons? For example, I like the Hillwen Engineer's Wig and Goggles (F) but there's no Eluned version of it. The male version isn't bad, but I'd rather not have the little side braid since it doesn't fit my character. Ironically, this makes the F version look more masculine to me.
    Niought
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,745
    Keichiro wrote: »
    Plenty of great ideas in this thread! I've personally found myself sulking several times over perfectly neutral-looking outfits and hairstyles that my male character cannot wear because of... reasons? For example, I like the Hillwen Engineer's Wig and Goggles (F) but there's no Eluned version of it. The male version isn't bad, but I'd rather not have the little side braid since it doesn't fit my character. Ironically, this makes the F version look more masculine to me.

I can't even count the number of male clothing I wish I could wear. I don't like girly fashion, I'm a tomboy. And there's no reason a female cannot have more pants options. Women wear pants. I know, shocker.