Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Will Unreal Engine Reset Game?

AmarazAmaraz
Mabinogi Rep: 2,745
in General Chat
My friend thinks we will have to restart completely when the new engine hits and now I have unlocked a new fear. Someone prove him wrong ... I beg you.
  1. WIll the new engine make us restart / lose all progress?17 votes
    1. No way
       71% (12 votes)
    2. It probably will
       18% (3 votes)
    3. Yup
       12% (2 votes)

Comments

• NioughtNiought
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    edited December 24, 2023
    From what I heard, it doesn't sound likely. It's not like they're transferring us onto the new engine either, they plan on just transforming us. So our progress should be fine, unless a change of plans happen. I kinda doubt it though, since they seemed pretty sure on what they're doing on that part at least.

Also I'm sure the team is will do everything they can to make sure we won't have to suffer that kind of grief.
  • tommyrockettommyrocket
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,040
    edited December 24, 2023
    Just an upgrade, akin to how they did the 64-bit client, although far more complicated as they already know.

An exciting prospect. It means this game has many more years under its belt, and its popularity is high enough even now for them to consider doing this. I personally think it's still Nexon's top game, granted that is only my opinion.

Regardless of how long it may take, it may breathe new life into this game. Think of the possibilities; the Unreal Engine, provided they stop at UE4 and don't touch UE5, even the combat system could be substantially upgraded in both function and QoL-related ways. It has a lot of potential for an already unique game given the era it was originally created in.

- From a player that joined Mabinogi right around G3's release
    NioughtKadracAmaraz
  • NioughtNiought
    I never found the quality of Mabinogi to be as bad as what some say, but I'm really looking forward to seeing it in those stunning graphics they've been showing us. Really, Mabi's the only Nexon game I've touched, other than a bit of Maplestory 2. And also the only mmo I've stuck with, so its exciting to know they plan on doing such a huge update.
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    From what I understand, it is mostly an upgrade to the graphics. The developers have talked about going through almost every object in the game and updating it for the new engine. A few things will be left out (TBA), but they are aiming to minimize player angst with the transition.

A full reset would be a giant leap toward maximizing player angst. I believe it would destroy the player base. Players would leave the gave in droves, and this game would die. Why would Nexon bother updating trivial objects but zero out player stats? It's the kind of move that would even make Ferghus gasp in freakish horror.

It sounds that most of our stats are safe. Our levels, ranks, and other stats will be perfectly fine. The thing that I expect to change is is last known location for all characters/pets/partners. Given the level of change in detail that is coming, the new 3D environment could mean a change in the coordinates. To avoid glitches. they might reset all characters to the home warp point. Likewise, I expect all the guild stones to be plucked up (assuming they are kept as an element in the game). But again, the stats that matter, they should be safe.

Then again, I suppose that I could be wrong. We might keep our last known locations. :smile:
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    edited December 31, 2023
    They stated in interviews that content will be trimmed. Not everything will be able to be transferred over. What can be transferred over -which is the part that is worrying everyone- we don't know yet. We probably won't until maybe a few months before the update launch and that is YEARS away. So we're going to be speculating for a while because there is a TON of stuff for them to go through.

What I do know is that this is necessary to maintain growth and survival of this game. Sacrifices will have to be made, (just like with the last server merge). What's really neat is even if we lose some players because of said lost content is that the graphics engine update will attract a whole bunch of NEW players. There are already news articles cropping up about this update which will peak the interest of new younger players. Because of that they might be able to get away with shafting a lot more than anticipated due to this potential new growth. I know that is pretty callous to say but business is business.

As for skills and stats and other accomplishments...I think we will be ok. Just keep in mind nothing is safe but as far as progress goes whatever you have now you will have the equivalent (more or less) in the update.

Expect the worse and be pleasantly surprised or not surprised at all has always be my motto with Nexon. Again, sacrifices will be made, they said this. Expect it. Sorry to be pessimistic, but this is how I have survived Nexon's curveballs for over 15 years. :D

LoomyOfPi wrote: »
    Likewise, I expect all the guild stones to be plucked up (assuming they are kept as an element in the game).Then again, I suppose that I could be wrong.

Yep you're wrong on that bit, KR's recent guild update gets rid of guild stones. We should be getting that update soon actually. Goodbye guild stone real estate!
    KadracNegumiko
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    The unreal engine is just graphics right? Our progress is just data in a database. These things are not connected. That being said, how our characters look and our stuff looks will be effected. If you have "fox" eyes, say, how the unreal engine displays that might be different. I seem to recall years ago some kind of graphic change occurred and I had to change the eyes on my giant to a different set that looked closer to the ones I used to have.

Clearing out dead-weight code is a separate issue from the unreal engine. An example of what might be pitched is the whole E/G alliance system, since the war is over and all.
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    Crimsọn wrote: »

Yep you're wrong on that bit, KR's recent guild update gets rid of guild stones. We should be getting that update soon actually. Goodbye guild stone real estate!

I hadn't heard of that. That's good news to me. I don't mind the ones outside Dunbarton, but some of them are placed in a way that spoils the ambiance. I have been hoping Nexon would remove them. Did I expect that? No? Have I been mulling the possibility of it happening? Yes. I shall be looking forward to that change.

Helsa wrote: »
    The unreal engine is just graphics right? Our progress is just data in a database. These things are not connected. That being said, how our characters look and our stuff looks will be effected. If you have "fox" eyes, say, how the unreal engine displays that might be different. I seem to recall years ago some kind of graphic change occurred and I had to change the eyes on my giant to a different set that looked closer to the ones I used to have.

Clearing out dead-weight code is a separate issue from the unreal engine. An example of what might be pitched is the whole E/G alliance system, since the war is over and all.

I think so. A few days ago I visited Unreal's website. It is graphics focused, as are the current teasers Nexon has released. So I think the critical data will be safe, so long as Fergus doesn't go anywhere near the programmers.

NioughtCrimsọn
  • AmarazAmaraz
    edited December 27, 2023
    I wonder if our clothes will have the exact same colors on them... or will we have to re-dye everything.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Amaraz wrote: »
    I wonder if our clothes will have the exact same colors on them... or will we have to re-dye everything.

I would be very surprised if the colours changed. If there are changes it would be the shape of things.
  • AmarazAmaraz

I would be very surprised if the colours changed. If there are changes it would be the shape of things.

I'm very excited to see that change. I have been avoiding tailcoats and long hair for years because I hated the clipping lol. Some outfits will probably look different when they don't make our shoulders dislocate as well. I'm hoping they add physics to all outfits. Seeing old dresses actually flow, old capes flow, ect, would be awesome. I used to wear Odran's Outfit all the time but was bummed that the cape didn't move.
    Niought
  • NioughtNiought
    edited December 27, 2023

I'm very excited to see that change. I have been avoiding tailcoats and long hair for years because I hated the clipping lol. Some outfits will probably look different when they don't make our shoulders dislocate as well. I'm hoping they add physics to all outfits. Seeing old dresses actually flow, old capes flow, ect, would be awesome. I used to wear Odran's Outfit all the time but was bummed that the cape didn't move.

I'm imagine they will have physics!! I'm excited to see that
  • HelsaHelsa
    Niought wrote: »

I'm imagine they will have physics!! I'm excited to see that

If the extra physics is handled by the client then fine. If it's handled by the server then extra lag.
    Amaraz
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited December 31, 2023

I actually worry that not all clothes that we currently have will be available in Mabinogi after that update. Meaning we might lose some of our clothes and other stuff.

But honestly...I am willing to make that sacrifice.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    edited December 31, 2023
    I am a little concerned about what will happen to all our outfits and pets, especially the anime crossover event ones. But overall Mabinogi needs this update to survive and I can live with some damage. Some things are gonna get lost or be a little buggy, this update is so huge that it is unavoidable. I really want to see what they have planned for the new UI though. Hopefully they won't make it to big or anything, my inventory bags barely fit on the screen now. Mabinogi has a small and simple UI compared to some other mmo games and I love it. Keep chat in the center and keep our skills in the top left corner of the screen, I don't care if they let us change the size of the UI much like the way you can in FF14 but let us keep things small. Don't want a bunch of oversized crap on the screen when I'm trying to explore Erinn.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 2
    Negumiko wrote: »
    I am a little concerned about what will happen to all our outfits and pets, especially the anime crossover event ones. But overall Mabinogi needs this update to survive and I can live with some damage. Some things are gonna get lost or be a little buggy, this update is so huge that it is unavoidable. I really want to see what they have planned for the new UI though. Hopefully they won't make it to big or anything, my inventory bags barely fit on the screen now. Mabinogi has a small and simple UI compared to some other mmo games and I love it. Keep chat in the center and keep our skills in the top left corner of the screen, I don't care if they let us change the size of the UI much like the way you can in FF14 but let us keep things small. Don't want a bunch of oversized crap on the screen when I'm trying to explore Erinn.

I don't think they will mess with the UI, this is mainly intended to be a visual graphics update. No more disconnected arms or long hair clipping your torso. Heck possibly no more different legs/arms designed for each outfit, we could probably have different underwear like Vindictus (Mabinogi Heroes) has! Imagine the possibilities! Stockings with outfits that didn't have them! Wooooo!

Also as a side note...you own nothing in Mabinogi as per the Terms of Service. Meaning it's VERY possible we won't get everything transferred over and that we WILL lose some of our stuff. Possibly all of it minus skills.

You get newbie outfit but all your levels/skills/abilities are intact. :D
  • HelsaHelsa
    Honestly, you folks are worrying WAY too hard over nothing. Our stuff is gonna be fine. The worst is it will look a little bit different, the best is that it will look better; likely the latter.
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Honestly, you folks are worrying WAY too hard over nothing. Our stuff is gonna be fine. The worst is it will look a little bit different, the best is that it will look better; likely the latter.

I hope you're right. I'm not even super huge on fashion but I enjoy it on the side.
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Crimsọn wrote: »

I actually worry that not all clothes that we currently have will be available in Mabinogi after that update. Meaning we might lose some of our clothes and other stuff.

But honestly...I am willing to make that sacrifice.

I worry about this too, however, if Nexon is smart IMO, they will get rid of the really old clothes and armors and just replace them with either the re-fashioned versions or just delete them. (Mongo's Traveler's Suit) I know there will be some player who will cry about this but honestly nobody wears this seriously.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 3

I'm not worrying anymore, just gonna embrace come what may.

embrace-change-its.jpg
    Amaraz
  • VuetVuet
    Mabinogi Rep: 305
    I do not intend to step on anyones relief or hope, BUT do note that all these comments/posts are all speculations and a reset is still possible. You'd probably best hear it from Mabi themselves say it, but haven't which is VERY concerning, since that is the first thing they should've mentioned.

(DO NOT READ any further if you are concerned this might stop you from playing. This is also pure speculation, so it will most likely be wrong, BUT simply a possibility)
    As for my speculation, I think they do intend to reset, but don't want anyone to know yet, since that will cause players to leave. Some would rather just wait rather than grind for something that will be erased soon. They'd still join later, but not play until the new update. problem with that is that they need funds to help improve the game, but no players means no money. As for others, they might simply quit due to the loss of years worth of progress. Sure a new game that's up to date would attract new players. BUT the biggest problem with that is that Mabinogi's design is "Classic". When you stick to the classics you stick with the OGs and new players are not a part of that. Some might like the game, but just saying that Mabi's design maybe outdated for younger people.
    Michael_Mind