Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Many small UI enhancements

KeichiroKeichiro
Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
in Feedback and Suggestions
It's undeniable that Mabinogi has improved immensely in recent years when it comes to UX and is a much more player-friendly game than it used to be in the past. There are still, however, a few things that feel harmless and anywhere from useful to amusing which cannot be achieved through allowed means as of now. This is going to be a list of several small suggestions, as they are too small and too many to warrant their own separate threads and all of them pertain to the UI specifically. These are:

> Allow Erinn clock to display time by the minute rather than in increments of 10 minutes
(This allows players to better manage their time and feel less impatient when waiting for specific in-game timed events. Not a huge change, but a welcome one for some people.)

> Font alternatives and fixes
(Many people find the font ingame to be hard to read due to how it renders, or experience issues with how it wraps within the game's interfaces. A few font alternatives and options, like size, fixed color setting and maybe even including bitmap fonts, could help improve accessibility for players. A fix to the wrapping issue would also greatly enhance the experience.)

> Allow CP to be displayed
(While nowadays this would be mostly a for-fun feature, there are still players who would like to be able to tell at least their own CP if not that of others as well. In general it's harmless and relies on information the game client already receives but doesn't display.)

> Allow items to be assigned to regular and extra Skill slots
(This is a generic but useful quality of life improvement which could allow players to have more usable items at their fingertips, like specific kinds of Phoenix Feathers or potions that restore more than one gauge at a time like Full Recovery Potions, and others that don't even have associated hotkeys like Movement Speed Potions or Letters of Guarantee. Especially beneficial in today's Mabinogi as many players have inventories with many bags and lots of items which can cause a hiccup to the client when opened and take time to find the right item as well.)

> More detail on minimaps and minimap pins
(Basically, adding something like a different color on the minimap to zones where L-Rod Exploration can be performed and areas of the same kind, to help players know where to go for these. As an addition or alternative to this, some kind of system that allows players to place custom markings on their maps client-side and import/export them as a file. This helps with navigating very large regions like those in Iria by giving players a way to mark their usual routes or places of interest or find the right things faster in large and complex maps like Tara where it's impossible to read the existing indications without zooming in to the maximum limit. There is not much of a reason not to implement these things because the advantage they give is technically already possible to some people just by memorizing or by looking at maps outside the game window, so this would just make that comfort more accessible to everyone equally.)

> Optional automatic pet desummon upon summoning another one
(Another small but comfortable improvement to have, basically makes it so that when a player already has a summoned pet/partner and attempts to summon another one, the one already present gets automatically desummoned. I can imagine not all players being fond of this, so placing it as a game option that can be toggled might be best.)

> Items automatically going to item type-specific inventory bags before bag order is taken into account
(Presently, if a player has a generic bag on their top left inventory cells and a Bolt bag (for example) farther to the bottom right, any newly acquired Bolts that don't stack with the ones in possession will prioritize going into the generic bag. This can become clunky to deal with over time or when running content that drops may different items. My suggestion is that item-specific bags should get taken into account before inventory order by default, from most specific to least specific in terms of item categories. An example of this would be that a bundle of Bolts would first go into a Bolt bag if one exists, next it would check for an equipment bag, and then finally go to the top left-most general bag if none of these are present or have any free space.)

> Option to display bugles, overlay messages and announcements on the chat interface only
(These kinds of messages can become obtrusive in several different contexts, like trying to look at inventory items and their descriptions or simply taking screenshots. They have a lot of padding in relation to the window, tend to happen very often, remain on the screen for a long time and make text and visuals underneath unintelligible until disappearing. I would like to suggest an option to only display these messages in the chat so they stop becoming a detriment to what is very normal gameplay for people who love taking screenies or who have inventories that take up their entire screen.)

> Dedicated board for player announcements/direct trades
(Currently, when players wish to broadcast a message like they are looking to buy an item, sell one at a non-fixed price or wishing to promote their own ingame event, this is done by broadcasting a party announcement and therefore flooding the Party chat tab. I suggest the creation of a board present across major idling areas in the game where people can post these kinds of announcements, and they could even be automatically broadcast in a cycle in a new chat tab dedicated to them if the poster so desires so they still reach their intended target passively.)

That's all the ones I can think of right now. Hopefully I've explained them all clearly enough and people can understand why there were too many to feel comfortable flooding the forums with this many individual threads despite the guidelines, especially considering I am already in the process of posting several suggestions that aren't UI related.
  1. Would you like these new features?2 votes
    1. Yes to all (comment why if you'd like)
       100% (2 votes)
    2. Yes to some (please comment the specifics)
       0% (0 votes)
    3. I don't care for/am against all of them (please comment what issues you have with them)
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• KeichiroKeichiro
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    edited December 31, 2023
    I'd like to add that if any mods still deem that all of these should go in individual threads despite being small and numerous and sharing a theme I'll be more than happy to post them separately. Please don't kill me, I'm sure I don't taste good.
  • NioughtNiought
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    edited January 14
    I really like the last one, Dedicated board for player announcements/direct trades. Also would be cool to just check that board whenever to see if there's anything that catches your eye. And a dedicated chat tab for it would be good so it doesn't spam people who don't want to see it.

These are all interesting ideas though