Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Name Changes

lockMorticianlockMortician
Mabinogi Rep: 620
in Feedback and Suggestions
Why haven't they implemented name changes for characters into Mabinogi yet? Their other games have it. Considering Mabinogi is free, they could charge $5 to $20 for a name change and hell I'd pay for one.

I wonder if they'd listen to their player base.
Kirara01FilthyRedDevilAechYukiKitsuneJillyBeanSheenaMiyukki_Xcution猿仙人_SaruSenninKrissyPootelBri333and 2 others.
  1. Who here wants access to name changes????170 votes
    1. I SURE DO. NO IDEA WHY IT'S NOT ALREADY A THING. I WOULD EVEN PAY FOR IT.
       73% (124 votes)
    2. ME I DO.
       9% (16 votes)
    3. nah
       18% (30 votes)

Comments

• ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    Me too, I would pay for it to be honest. I just realized how childish it is to have numbers in your ign after seeing majority of the players without lol My main is the only character that has numbers in its name...
    YangKoete
  • lucifernlucifern
    Mabinogi Rep: 700
    would be nice if they added such a feature, but it might be hard for friends to recognize you again and changes need to be applied in the friend list too. There might also be a name change times limit or some wait time before you can change again.
    Some ppls names may change even more then their status once its out
    Musicat
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    I think this would be a helpful feature especially since people may not like the name the picked when they first joined or want to make something a little more unique. That being said I would recommend this be available once per character to make things less confusing for everyone. Maybe have something in the character menu that says "formally known as" and their previous name so friends know who people are that change their name. I would like this option also available to pets so that we can rename a pet one time such as naming one relative to the type of items it holds or maybe the function it helps out with. I know many games that do allow for the renaming of characters so I hope this can be implemented here as well.

+1 from me
    [Deleted User]Miyukki_XcutionMermerieYangKoeteYoriden
  • FilthyRedDevilFilthyRedDevil
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
    Bumpity Bump! I mean I won't go as far as paying but having the feature would be nice for others, I would change my name to a more Celtic one than the current one.
  • Kirara01Kirara01
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,815
    I really want a name change coupon since the character I use the most is Kirara01 and it sounds so childish :'D
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    I think this would be a helpful feature especially since people may not like the name the picked when they first joined or want to make something a little more unique. That being said I would recommend this be available once per character to make things less confusing for everyone. Maybe have something in the character menu that says "formally known as" and their previous name so friends know who people are that change their name. I would like this option also available to pets so that we can rename a pet one time such as naming one relative to the type of items it holds or maybe the function it helps out with. I know many games that do allow for the renaming of characters so I hope this can be implemented here as well.

+1 from me

Yeah I support this too. I like the idea of a sort of button in the additional character information menu and as an option you can look into when you right-click a player. That way you'd be able to look into their previous name without having to add them.
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    More than just name changes, it'd be neat if they changed pets so that their names aren't limited. The only thing this would change in terms of gameplay would be that we probably wouldn't be able to whisper pet characters anymore, so it should be easier to implement than character name changes, in that sense. I'd miss this because nostalgia, but these days it isn't exactly a commonly used feature, if it ever was.
  • NeynaNeyna
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,140
    I think there are some issues going on right now with the name change stuffies in KR.. so maybe it won't be awhile till we get it in NA (I hope they don't but if they do, that's good for most of the players that deserves it).

Hopefully the marriage title/fam aren't "visually" glitched/stuffed up when they release this name change thingy..
    (I hope they fix my fiance's title and my fam tree too :c )
    Kaga
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    I think it would be a nice event for the name-change item to be given out once so people can try it out. =D
  • SylviaWolfeSylviaWolfe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,310
    lucifern wrote: »
    would be nice if they added such a feature, but it might be hard for friends to recognize you again and changes need to be applied in the friend list too.

They could follow Runescape's system for this where in the friends list it has a little symbol that signifies the name has been changed and when hovered over it displays the original name.
    ChibiMeguNinzerker
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited February 28, 2017
    Actually there is a reason why name changes haven't been added in yet. In Mabinogi KR, if you have a soulbound item, you'd have to reequip it in order for it to be used. However, they said they can't really help you with that. (Hinting that reaching the max unbind limit might cause problems with changing your character's name.)
  • NeynaNeyna
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,140
    edited February 28, 2017
    What do you mean by reequip? Cause right now, in NA at least, you could still use the -only items but the name on it will be your old IGN.

Unless you want to use a trade unlock, you won't be able to equip it again unless you want it binded to your new name (which idm keeping with my old ign)

(Idk what NA does when they offer player(s) a name change and if the issue is the same as what KR is facing atm)
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Neyna wrote: »
    What do you mean by reequip? Cause right now, in NA at least, you could still use the -only items but the name on it will be your old IGN.

Unless you want to use a trade unlock, you won't be able to equip it again unless you want it binded to your new name (which idm keeping with my old ign)

(Idk what NA does when they offer player(s) a name change and if the issue is the same as what KR is facing atm)

If we don't have any bugs or issues with name changes, then it's probably because Nexon NA doesn't have a team dedicated to server transfers and name changes like KR does with it's large population.
  • MyutoMyuto
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,335
    edited March 24, 2017
    Personally, I would love for this to be a feature so I could finally have the 3-letter name I've been wanting to have since I joined Mabinogi, but sadly I've had to put up with an alternative...So, if this feature were implemented, I could finally be happy with a name which I've wanted since the beginning!

This would be even better if names of characters that haven't been played in years would be released too...Like what happened with MapleStory! ^^
  • FalcondaeFalcondae
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,555
    I know World of Warcraft has a name changing system, as well as race changing, but I do believe their system is far more simplified than ours.

For one, while they do have racials, they're not like super breaking, and not to mention their skills don't require ranking, unlike ours, which we have to rank from Novice to Master/Dan in order to progress; they only scale as you level, not to mention no RB system. Mabi has a lot of ranking, and so thus I can see where some issues may come into play. I've seen suggestions where people suggest refunding the AP for racial based skills, or even putting it in suspension so that you don't have to redo it later if you RB back to the original race.

As for name changes, this one I am a bit iffy about since I know this will be abused no matter how many safeties are put into place. But I can see where things can get complicated due to the character-bound/personalized items. I'm sure somewhere in the character data they can put in a flag to mark that the character's original was changed and it shows up on the friends list, but I guess one concern is that once a name is released, anyone can take it, similar to guild names. For pets having their name pool unlimited I can't really see happening because the pets are playable, and thus they have to stay unique like a regular character.

Now, I did see a suggestion for the name released if a character hasn't been played for a few years. This one I can understand since WoW does actually do this, but they do server name releases every 4 or 5 years, or it can be done via requests with GMs. I think the only limitation is that the entire account has to be inactive for at least three years, which means even if the character isn't being played and they're on an alt, the name cannot be taken. Then usually what happens is that if the person does return and the name was taken, then they just have to rename the character to something else if they want to continue playing on that character.

Just my two-cents on this subject.
  • 0010w41404001100010w4140400110
    Mabinogi Rep: 450
    I agree with this. We really do need this feature and a lot of players will love to change the names they may have picked carelessly when they first started playing.
  • AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    One (very) minor drawback I can see is if the person has a name with capital letters in the middle of their name (including names with all caps). I have no clue when this was implemented, but Mabi only allows a capital letter as their first letter of their name. People with capital letters in the middle of their names are very unique today.
  • DaekesanDaekesan
    Mabinogi Rep: 510
    Even if the name change was only allowable or buyable ONCE, it would still be a welcome and fine idea. A majority of long-time players have names that they foolishly pulled out of a hat when they were 13 are dying to change it. If there was a simple, and somewhat discreet way of knowing who someone used to be for a month or so before the former name became available again, the issues within reputation shouldn't be detrimental to the game's community.
  • AechAech
    Mabinogi Rep: 510
    I personally wouldn't pay for it with real money, gold however I would. It could be set at a high price to pay and only be purchasable once
    Calem
  • ErorservErorserv
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,695
    I would purchase it just to capitalise the first letter of my IGN. But I wonder if they'd consider forum name changes too. (curse you immature past self)