Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

So dungeon botters are a thing now.

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited March 31, 2017
    lidiya wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    For me using multiple computers to log in Mabinogi with dummy accounts for more loot is same as using multiple clients with dummy accounts on one computer. The outcome is still same. The player gets more gold and loot in really short time, which is still really unfair in this case. So i really don't like people who use/have multiple dummy accounts and use it to collect more gold, loot and event items. Like seriously, after 9th Anniversary Hot Time event we had some shops in Belvast with FULL bag of various Direct Dyes.

There is a difference though as was said to run multiple instances on one PC you need to mod it to not look for the other instances where they are VERY much against mods of any type.

Different or not, but outcome is same, because player still gets gold and items. but just in more legal way. That's 100% win for that player.

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Where? Please show us that Nexon said this. Further, please show where they specifically said that it's OK for one person to run mabi on multiple computers at the same time.

Would love to, but it was 1-2 years ago when someone asked on the old forums which they've removed with the introduction of these current forums.

For me using multiple computers to log in Mabinogi with dummy accounts for more loot is same as using multiple clients with dummy accounts on one computer. The outcome is still same. The player gets more gold and loot in really short time, which is still really unfair in this case. So i really don't like people who use/have multiple dummy accounts and use it to collect more gold, loot and event items. Like seriously, after 9th Anniversary Hot Time event we had some shops in Belvast with FULL bag of various Direct Dyes.

There is a difference though as was said to run multiple instances on one PC you need to mod it to not look for the other instances where they are VERY much against mods of any type.

FayeKaiba wrote: »
    I don't see it as a problem because there are far more important things that people should report and bring to nexon's attention. Stuff like, reporting harassment, and people who use mod's to harm the game and the players. Those are the kinds of things people should report and 'flood' the ticket system with, Let nexon focus on the more important things first. I would much rather report that, than make a judgement call and accidently report someone who is running multi computers.

Exactly
    In all honesty they just want a witch hunt.

There are some modifications that I think make the game more feasible, such as text modifications. I do not think modifications are inherently bad either in that case. Though remember, if Nexon wanted it, they would not have disallowed it. They made it so you do need modifications for these things, rather than making them a possibility, which is pretty self defeating in that sense, unless there are other reasons why we cannot open multiple windows of Mabinogi.

AlmostNotsuper
    edited March 31, 2017

Different or not, but outcome is same, because player still gets gold and items. but just in more legal way. That's 100% win for that player.

True, though to reiterate, legality does not matter as much as consistency. Otherwise it is just a loophole.
    Where? Please show us that Nexon said this. Further, please show where they specifically said that it's OK for one person to run mabi on multiple computers at the same time.

Would love to, but it was 1-2 years ago when someone asked on the old forums which they've removed with the introduction of these current forums.

I kind of doubt that. Nor does it dispel the reasoning that using both methods can be "abused", if you consider it that.
    AlmostNotsuper
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    I don't see it as a problem because there are far more important things that people should report and bring to nexon's attention. Stuff like, reporting harassment, and people who use mod's to harm the game and the players.

I really wouldn't go about calling any of those issues more important than the other, because they're all pretty important. Harassment and cheating are obvious, but botting can cause some serious long term problems to a MMO's economy if not kept in check. I don't want to see people bullied into depression, but I also don't want to see people have to shell out five million gold for something that currently costs one hundred thousand gold one year from now.
    Exactly
    In all honesty they just seem to want an old fashioned witch hunt.
    Best one prove it is the same player, and not multiple people using one internet connection too. So imagine if they start banning people logged on from one IP with multiple comps, and they start banning those people who have family members that play.

That's something they are certainly capable of doing if people report suspected offenders instead of ignoring the problem.
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    Buffalos wrote: »
    I don't see it as a problem because there are far more important things that people should report and bring to nexon's attention. Stuff like, reporting harassment, and people who use mod's to harm the game and the players.

I really wouldn't go about calling any of those issues more important than the other, because they're all pretty important. Harassment and cheating are obvious, but botting can cause some serious long term problems to a MMO's economy if not kept in check. I don't want to see people bullied into depression, but I also don't want to see people have to shell out five million gold for something that currently costs one hundred thousand gold one year from now.

On the other hand prices might skyrocket more as there will be less of items in circulation due to the low drop rates.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    On the other hand prices might skyrocket more as there will be less of items in circulation due to the low drop rates.

True, but that would only apply to the rare items that aren't being dropped. If you let botters farm gold freely, nearly everything in the market is going to inflate in price.
    And in case you misunderstood me, I was talking about people who are botting stuff without any user input at all. If someone is willing to carry under leveled characters through a dungeon for more chest drops, more power to them. But if they're going into these places while they aren't at the computer, the item generation becomes illegitimate and gets out of hand quickly when more people use the same script.
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325

True, but that would only apply to the rare items that aren't being dropped. If you let botters farm gold freely, nearly everything in the market is going to inflate in price.
    And in case you misunderstood me, I was talking about people who are botting stuff without any user input at all. If someone is willing to carry under leveled characters through a dungeon for more chest drops, more power to them. But if they're going into these places while they aren't at the computer, the item generation becomes illegitimate and gets out of hand quickly when more people use the same script.

Ahh ok yea I do agree on the botting/scripts (in all truth they are the same thing), and yea I did misunderstand you on that I just took for granted you were lumping multi pc users with the botters like most the others are.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Ahh ok yea I do agree on the botting/scripts (in all truth they are the same thing), and yea I did misunderstand you on that I just took for granted you were lumping multi pc users with the botters like most the others are.

Well at least we're on the same page. And on that, I do recall some GM answering the multiple computers thing on old forums as well, so perhaps someone could clear that out here again?
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited March 31, 2017

That's why I said report them in my quotes above. Most companies view multi clienting as an abuse of the system, and it's either bannable or not depending on what made the player report them. That's what the report ticket system and report button are for anyways.
    If we are referring to a completely automated or streamline hack process, then I guess the multi-client versus multiple computers debate is a bit off topic.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    If we are referring to a completely automated or streamline hack process, then I guess the multi-client versus multiple computers debate is a bit off topic.

Yeah. Although in all fairness dungeon botting and comparing it to the effects of multi clienting is more of a company discretion type of thing, so any arguments we make here could be null and void if a Mabinogi Dev summarized it already or says it's discretion and we shouldn't poke our nose in it.

Yeah. Although in all fairness dungeon botting and comparing it to the effects of multi clienting is more of a company discretion type of thing, so any arguments we make here could be null and void if a Mabinogi Dev summarized it already or says it's discretion and we shouldn't poke our nose in it.

That does not make it free from criticism on inconsistency, practical or moral. It does make it pointless, however, unless we are referring to the reward spamming you can do with either.
  • JoeyDee9JoeyDee9
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,065
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator

That's why I said report them in my quotes above. Most companies view multi clienting as an abuse of the system, and it's either bannable or not depending on what made the player report them. That's what the report ticket system and report button are for anyways.

Some game completely encourage multiboxing though. I'm looking at you Eve Online.
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240

It's a minor derail at worst. Remember how we got here -it was the question of whether or not people suspected of botting should be reported or not. As the people who've tried to defend players suspected of doing this have pointed out, there's no way for an observing player to tell the difference between automation and multiple computers. It's not as if bots can't be put on slightly different timers so as to appear as if they're all being manually controlled by a single person.

The only answer that makes sense is that players should report people who appear to be doing this, whether using multiple alts legitimately or illegitimately doesn't matter from our point of view. And if it is ok for players to use multiple accounts at once in order to profit more, then there should be no reason for such players to object to being investigated for botting.

Anyway, I'd really like to see Nexon clear up their position on this. They probably won't because any honest answer they have for us is either too depressing, or purposefully vague.

"Yeah, we agree that dragging alts around to get extra rewards is wrong and it breaks the game, but we can't really do anything to stop this without going back to the '1 account per IP' thing, and we're not willing to do anything so drastic because we're desperate to keep any paying players we can until the game finally keels over and dies."

We'd most likely either get that or "Players are allowed to create multiple accounts."
  • EllisyaEllisya
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,525
    edited April 1, 2017
    In fact... you can do multi-client thing without breaking any ToS (like using 3rd Party Programs) in KR (Mabinogi)
    Plus, certain Nexon games in kr actually supports multi client officially; they even put that sign in game (e.g. Kingdom of WInd)
  • DaktaroDaktaro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    from wikipedia which kinda helps explain the multi-clienting with bots vs multiple pcs with a different account logged in each and controlling them individually:
    "Multiboxing is generally allowed by MMORPG End User License Agreements, because the characters are still subject to all the normal rules of the game world and are controlled by the player directly. This is in contrast to bots that partially or fully control the characters, which are against the terms of service of most online games."

Well at least we're on the same page. And on that, I do recall some GM answering the multiple computers thing on old forums as well, so perhaps someone could clear that out here again?

i remember it too T v T but not who said it and never took a screencap. wanna say it was Dealer or Shoog? so forum mod rather than GM but really do not remember it could easily have been someone else.