Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Shieldless Charge

Your Fallen GodYour Fallen God
Mabinogi Rep: 1,070
edited April 24, 2017 in Feedback and Suggestions
When humans/elves need a reforge and giants get it for free. Make my range damage str based as well while you're at it.
The question is should humans and elves also receive shieldless charge freeing up a slot in their gear forges seeing as humans already get a speed boost for their new skill, making us as fast as a giant I don't see how we can't charge shieldless.
  1. Should Humans/Elves Get Shieldless Charge As Well?20 votes
    1. Yes, seems legit
       25% (5 votes)
    2. Nah, screw equality.
       25% (5 votes)
    3. No, giants aren't OP enough
       20% (4 votes)
    4. I ain't got time for this
       30% (6 votes)

Comments

• ErorservErorserv
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,695
    Aren't giants meant to be the melee oriented race though? Makes sense that they'd get an edge like this.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    At least let Elves charge with rapiers. You can't even use a shield with those kinds of swords. =(
  • Your Fallen GodYour Fallen God
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,070
    Aren't giants meant to be the melee oriented race though? Makes sense that they'd get an edge like this.

if that were true they wouldn't give the option to pay hella money and make it a reforge. Seems pretty unfair that their range is based off str as well that hits like 95% of the time instantly . Also why do we get a speed boost for our buff to still not make humans as fast as elves or giants, while giants get a 10% damage buff. How in the hell is that legit?
  • ErorservErorserv
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,695

if that were true they wouldn't give the option to pay hella money and make it a reforge. Seems pretty unfair that their range is based off str as well that hits like 95% of the time instantly . Also why do we get a speed boost for our buff to still not make humans as fast as elves or giants, while giants get a 10% damage buff. How in the hell is that legit?

They at least gave the option to the other races so people wouldn't complain. Originally it was an ability that was not designed for elves or humans, it was meant to be one of the reasons to want to play as a giant. Just as humans and elves can do things giants can't, it works the other way too. Except for this in particular the fairness skews towards humans and elves, because the option is available to them non the less.

Your next point seems to imply you have something against giants (and I don't even play them), but I'll save my judgements for another time. Anyway, to refute that I've already made a post in another thread on how (on paper) throwing attack lacks in terms of dps.
    Disclaimer: rough estimation based on the throwing attack formula.

On paper, looks like you might do up to 10-11k non-crit with title and weapon maxed. With 4 second cooldown that's about a consistent 2.5k dps, taking into account crits about 3.5k. Might be good for sniping though? Alpha isn't bad at all. In general however, not worth shaking a stick at. Magic's stronger. Best used as backup skill if anything.

If you'd like we could discuss the legitimate practicality of throwing attack. But I still have my doubts that it can keep up with or replace ranged or magic. Ranged is more versatile and magic does more damage so I really don't see how its unfair from your point of view.

I really don't see why you'd want your ranged damage to be based off strength. First off, it makes no sense. Dexterity (skill in performing tasks, especially with the hands.) is a skill archers should inherently have. Furthermore, it would be incredibly imbalanced. The ranged skills would give str instead of dex, bumping up maximum strength to high hell and cause a major imbalance for the other skillsets.

It honestly looks like you're shouting for equality for one thing in particular without taking into account how it affects the overall equivalence of the groups. That's not how equality works I'm afraid. Google "false equivalence" to read more. However, if you think giants are indeed imbalanced you're going to need a strong argument since this kind of thing is quite a heated topic.
  • GrawardGraward
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,140
    edited April 25, 2017

I really don't see why you'd want your ranged damage to be based off strength. First off, it makes no sense. Dexterity (skill in performing tasks, especially with the hands.) is a skill archers should inherently have. Furthermore, it would be incredibly imbalanced. The ranged skills would give str instead of dex, bumping up maximum strength to high hell and cause a major imbalance for the other skillsets.

Yeah I agree, I'd feel like a lot of elf player's wouldn't be very pleased either. tbf though, str letting you pull the gun trigger harder to do more damage is dubious.
    When humans/elves need a reforge and giants get it for free. Make my range damage str based as well while you're at it.
    The question is should humans and elves also receive shieldless charge freeing up a slot in their gear forges seeing as humans already get a speed boost for their new skill, making us as fast as a giant I don't see how we can't charge shieldless.

I don't know if I can talk since i've mostly been focusing on magic, but I don't actually see too much wrong with giving shieldess charge to other races. Giant's already get 2x dmg on charges (and we'll see if the no cooldown charge is gimmicky or not when we get it.) The only reason i can think of not allowing other races to charge is to try not to nerf shields too much since people don't really use shields anyway unless you're a giant or you want the alchemy skillset (which sounds like a pretty decent reason i guess).

Not to like shut you down or anything, but I got the impression that people look down on general race balance discussions outside of dedicated threads. Though, de-railing you're own thread kinda victimless, maybe start a new thread about it?

Edit: Wow those poll options lol. I voted yes though.