Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

The Blacksmithing Rant

Comments

• NicheeNichee
    Mabinogi Rep: 915
    Xiokun wrote: »
    Blacksmithing alone for a while, to go rank and do other things, I decided to come back to it. I felt that after ranking up synthesis and being able to duplicate a lot of the needed ores, and gathering loads of fine and finest leathers, I would be ready. Yes, maybe a few braids and tough string here and there but I can make that. What recently set me over my edge was reading this very well developed guide about ranking blacksmithing.

-link removed-

I'm rank 9 Blacksmithing right now, and the fact that I'm required to go grind oodles of monsters for not only the manuals, but the items to finish armor, really puts me off. The exp per point in blacksmithing is far too low for the amount of effort taken to get the materials and the money it would take to get those materials if you really couldn't find it yourself is even worse, granted you find them on sale. The blacksmithing skill is far too arduous and I feel it should be changed, not only to be easier, but to be more rewarding.

Blacksmithing has been such a neglected talent with all these gachapons dropping weapons that should be blacksmithed and NEVER dropping Blacksmithing Manuals! The only time blacksmithing has been brought about recently is with this 'rad new idea' of banding the entire server together to all hunt for materials in a super hard dungeon with a HORRID drop rate JUST to make one shiny pair of greaves or gauntlets so the richest player out of all of them can sell them with a party add of 300m a/w! That's insane!

Furthermore on my rant, why is everything so directed towards humans with the things you have to make? I understand blacksmithing was made long before there were giants and elves, but how many years has it been? There should have been more items added for those races. Better yet, uni-gender armors. If they have already, they must be in production gachas, which haven't been released again in forever! They really should be to increase the incentive to rank Blacksmithing. Or at least stop adding all these new weapons and just add new blacksmith manuals.

*WITH MATERIALS THAT CAN BE OBTAINED EASILY.*

I'm just mainly upset with the fact instead of being a really useful skill to rank, it's become more of a skill I want off my bucket list because I have this small, slim sliver of faith that blacksmithing will eventually be revamped, along with many other life talents. This was probably really all over the place but I wanted to get all my feelings out and see if anyone felt this same frustration with blacksmithing like I have.

Hope you're not claustrophobic, cos you've got no rooms to talk. Some of us trained blacksmith to R1(and dan1-2-3) before Training Pots/Seals were even invented, especially when now, there's 2x events, 2x life skill potion, heck, there's even a reforge for it. And though I agree the rates for these new items are horrid, and can be improved, we should all just be glad that they aren't in some cash-grabbing Gachas (yet).
  • MarithMarith
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,005
    Liyeta wrote: »
    Hmm isnt blacksmith worthless because most good equipment pop out ready to wear.

Imagine if
    -seal shop actually gives rk armor pattern instead of actual armor.
    -saga actually gives demonic pattern and mats instead of actual weapon.
    -instead of animation and non animation gacha equip (i still find this really stupid till this day), they actually gives animation equip and it's pattern.
    -vales shield too, for the best shield in game, instead of putting it in shop, why not make player craft for it.

Then there would be a lot more life skiller.

This is pretty close to the truth, but the reason blacksmith isn't so useful is both that AND that blacksmith craft grades aren't particularly great. Between not being able to get S+/X grade blacksmithed items except in gachas, and those particular bonuses being a measly 4 or 5 points here and there, it deflates the purpose of smithing gear instead of just picking up a slightly less potent piece off the street.
  • ikoreanikorean
    Mabinogi Rep: 620
    Good point but nexon is just going to dish out more gacha's to get the best equipment and if there is a scroll, a lot of people are high ranking because of training seals.
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    Nichee wrote: »
    Hope you're not claustrophobic, cos you've got no rooms to talk. Some of us trained blacksmith to R1(and dan1-2-3) before Training Pots/Seals were even invented, especially when now, there's 2x events, 2x life skill potion, heck, there's even a reforge for it.

Even with those boosts, you can rank blacksmithing a little faster, but for what? Only to make celtic weapons for a few mil every once and a while? To brag that you ranked a super grindy skill to your friends? To be honest with you, those who ranked it a long time a go to Rank 1 should feel the most betrayed out of this. They knew a time when blacksmithing was useful and when blacksmithing was profitable, but now those days are left in the dust due to gachapons, and the only reason I can see people still rank it is for the hope they can make CRKs people can buy to make a quick buck. And for stats, I guess. They deserve more manuals to make that Mabinogi, hopefully, won't put into a gachapon and put them out of business.

It feels like people are getting the impression that I hate grindy skills and I'm scared of breaking my nails over blacksmithing. Grindy skills like Ninja and Mining at Hillwen were pretty bad, but the reason I made a thread about blacksmithing and not THOSE skills is because, again, the benefit for having rank 1 blacksmithing is less and less rewarding. All the gold spent for manuals, all the time grinding monsters for manuals, gatherting leather, getting cobwebs for thin threads to make braids with thick threads, all to pretty much be able to make a bunch of junk and yell out to the world "look at what I did"! At least with the other skills I didn't feel like I was wasting a bunch of gold for nothing.

Lastly; If people keep saying Blacksmithing shouldn't be fixed only because they already have it R1 and they feel they won't get anything out of it, even though if it does get fixed one day there will be loads of new stuff we can make, I feel it'll only kill the motivation in people to rank blacksmithing even more because not only is the reward for blacksmith smaller than what it was hyped to be, but the minute they tell someone who ranked it the old fashion way they think it's way more arduous than it should be, they get some pretty negative feed back. They get talked down and told they should just suck it up and do it instead of encouragement and "look at all the great things you can do with a high ranked blacksmithing"!

As much as I love life skills, the minute a skill feels more like a chore without any fun in it, it's time to stop and do something else.

(And I should probably say this before anyone gets angry; Regardless of your opinions I respect everyone in this thread for contributing. <3 It makes me feel good to see everyone's pieces to add on this.)
    Grea