Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Only 1 damage???

LawrenceFoxLawrenceFox
Mabinogi Rep: 810
edited July 10, 2017 in General Chat
Im very green thus far to this game but I thought I had a handle on things until i found out I only deal 1 damage to zombies, ghouls and other monsters.
Im primarily gunslinger and each attack only does 1 damage no matter what skill I use or crit. Are there monsters that are just immune to ranged attacks or something?
Because of this im having a hard time completing certain quests like Bind from Advent of the Goddess and Lofty Goal from The Divine Knights
it takes an ungodly amount of time to kill zombies doing 1 damage at a time and the same goes for the crystal bears for the other quest.
Please help in any way you can
Pan

Comments

• SirRyuSirRyu
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,690
    Im very green thus far to this game but I thought I had a handle on things until i found out I only deal 1 damage to zombies, ghouls and other monsters.
    Im primarily gunslinger and each attack only does 1 damage no matter what skill I use or crit. Are there monsters that are just immune to ranged attacks or something?
    Because of this im having a hard time completing certain quests like Bind from Advent of the Goddess and Lofty Goal from The Divine Knights
    it takes an ungodly amount of time to kill zombies doing 1 damage at a time and the same goes for the crystal bears for the other quest.

They are weak towards melee, use windmill.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    Lol
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175

Use skills in the [Melee] Talent to hurt them.
    Pan wrote: »
    Lol

Now now. Be nice.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1EUXkbJ2oe3ud3sw6QaSyVkcwrr8GeSUxNNHF8zaIDMkNRsE

Pan
  • LawrenceFoxLawrenceFox
    Mabinogi Rep: 810
    awww was hoping I didnt have to put ap into melee biz =/
    Thank you though! And best of luck with stuff ^^
  • NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
    edited July 10, 2017
    To explain: Some enemies have "Standers", which are essentially when they make a little "ping" sound when attacked, followed by a red, yellow, or blue glow. You may also get a message regarding your attack being lowered.

The highest level of a stander can make all attacks of a certain type do 1 damage. Hence why Zombies treat ranged attacks like a joke.

Some enemies (usually certain bosses), are also just immune to typical forms of damage in general, and require a gimmick to be fought.
    An example is a certain Lich boss in Iria that is meant to be hurt by the bomb steeds he summons.

On another note, some skills just ignore any form of damage immunity in general, like Hydra and (in most cases) Dance of Death.

Also, since you are new, here is a tip:
    Anything related to Divine Knights should be ignored until you clear some other storylines and get stronger.
    I would say a safe bet would be clearing up to G12 (Which is the last story under the "Alchemist" story tab), and have at least 1 Master talent fit for combat.

Gunslinger also heavily relies on stats, so growing your character should help a lot in the long run.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,045
    flash launcher deals melee damage, but your likely to get hit by the zombie first
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    Everything regarding Heavy Stander(Melee), Natural Shield(Ranged), Mana Deflector(Magic) that needed to be said has already been said, perhaps with the exception of one thing. There's something called Advanced Heavy Stander which doesn't add any kind of immunity, but you will be entirely unable to ever knock the enemy that has it down. That makes a lot of skills straight up suicidal because the enemy will usually follow it up with a 355023502523758920559 damage normal attack for "difficulty".

Also, this isn't so important for you as a ranged character, but if you're actually gonna go for melee on some enemies, keep in mind there's a skill called "Instinctive Reaction" that makes them counter you with a normal attack without actually using a skill, before yours even hits. For instance, you try to smash, but it will just instantly whack you, again and again.

As for Generation 19 and beyond (Divine Knights): if you don't mind spoilers from previous generations you haven't played yet, I actually recommend playing it first thing, maybe with the help of a tutorial for the last two missions. Once you reach level 400+, or especially 1000+, it becomes 5000% harder than the previous difficulties. By that I mostly mean the semi-finale, not the finale. The finale will still hurt like hell if you don't do it right though.
    Once you go past level 1000 though, depending on the talent you choose to play with, you can probably assume you'll have to wait until level 3000+ just to be able to deal enough damage before you die to finish the semi-finale. For some talents (human melee *cough*) you may be fine right away. You'll likely still need a bunch of potions and maybe a nao or two though.
  • PannyaPannya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,710
    edited July 11, 2017
    Some mobs are resistant to some skills,is part of the game mechanics, the ultimate goal on this game is being a polymath, train more skills, if you stay with only one group your character will be extremely weak.
    pawcalypse
    edited July 11, 2017
    Siodhan wrote: »
    Everything regarding Heavy Stander(Melee), Natural Shield(Ranged), Mana Deflector(Magic) that needed to be said has already been said, perhaps with the exception of one thing. There's something called Advanced Heavy Stander which doesn't add any kind of immunity, but you will be entirely unable to ever knock the enemy that has it down. That makes a lot of skills straight up suicidal because the enemy will usually follow it up with a 355023502523758920559 damage normal attack for "difficulty".
    I think your exaggerating the damage they deal...
    The only mob that can do that kind of damage is the heroic 500% dmg Alban golem. And he doesn't even have adv heavy standard.
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    edited July 11, 2017
    Pannya wrote: »
    Some mobs are resistant to some skills,is part of the game mechanics, the ultimate goal on this game is being a polymath, train more skills if you stay with only one group your character will be extremely weak.

^This

The more skills you train the more balanced your stat becomes in a way that you increase STR, INT, WIL, DEX, etc.. Learning other skills help you gain essential bonuses that you may not achieve in combat alone. Life skills and crafting featured in the game are boring and repetitive but will benefit you in many other ways; they can help in your supplies of ammo, food, potion or whatever else.
  • TtheHeroTtheHero
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,410
    pawcalypse wrote: »
    Some mobs are resistant to some skills,is part of the game mechanics, the ultimate goal on this game is being a polymath, train more skills if you stay with only one group your character will be extremely weak.

^This

The more skills you train the more balanced your stat becomes in a way that you increase STR, INT, WIL, DEX, etc.. Learning other skills help you gain essential bonuses that you may not achieve in combat alone. Life skills and crafting featured in the game are boring and repetitive but will benefit you in many other ways; they can help in your supplies of ammo, food, potion or whatever else.

I concur. Think of training those Life Skills as Boxing Lessons for Superman.

I can sense OP's aversion to those Close Combat skills from his most recent post. But he should ditch that line of thinking, immediately. Close Combat skills are the bread and butter of basic combat, as some can be used alongside other talents. What's that? You want to shoot something, but it got too up close and personal for you to shoot in time? Windmill. Counter. Defense. SMASH. These are essential to your survival, or at least staves off defeat for a bit longer.

And you NEVER have to worry about a shortage of AP. As long as you consistently rebirth and keep leveling, you'll have as much AP as you think you can get away with, and all the time in the world to rank your skills, outside obligations notwithstanding.

The Talent system at an immediate first glance may look like you're pigeonholed into one skillset, like every other bog-standard MMO, but you'd be severely limiting yourself if you do that. Be like The Great Wario! Be Greedy! LEARN THEM ALL!

....Just don't spread yourself too thin early on.
  • CapnReconCapnRecon
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,055
    At this stage in the game, Gunner isn't going to give you much mileage. Gunner really only gets strong once you've raised your STR and INT to high levels, along with maxing the gunner skills. Even then, Gunner's bread and butter is Bullet Storm and Shooting Rush. But, if you're caught in the middle of reloading, it'd be best to have Windmill to knock enemies away so you can leg it. At rank 1, it's range is pretty good for a melee skill.

Take your time, however, and make sure to enjoy yourself. Do make it a point to train close combat at some point; as the others above me have stated, it forms the basis of combat in Mabinogi. I know you don't enjoy close combat, but think of it like this. If you raise your close combat stats, the strength you get from doing so will help you with gunner in the long run, causing your guns to do more damage, as well as raising your defence, so if a physical attacker manages to get close, it won't deal as much damage as it would've if you didn't have the extra strength.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    TtheHero wrote: »
    pawcalypse wrote: »

^This

I concur. Think of training those Life Skills as Boxing Lessons for Superman.

I can sense OP's aversion to those Close Combat skills from his most recent post. But he should ditch that line of thinking, immediately. Close Combat skills are the bread and butter of basic combat, as some can be used alongside other talents. What's that? You want to shoot something, but it got too up close and personal for you to shoot in time? Windmill. Counter. Defense. SMASH. These are essential to your survival, or at least staves off defeat for a bit longer.

And you NEVER have to worry about a shortage of AP. As long as you consistently rebirth and keep leveling, you'll have as much AP as you think you can get away with, and all the time in the world to rank your skills, outside obligations notwithstanding.

The Talent system at an immediate first glance may look like you're pigeonholed into one skillset, like every other bog-standard MMO, but you'd be severely limiting yourself if you do that. Be like The Great Wario! Be Greedy! LEARN THEM ALL!

....Just don't spread yourself too thin early on.

R1 Smash and R1 Assault Slash only takes me so far...
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    zombies take almost no damage from most distance attacks but it is not a bad thing. this makes makes places like Tir Na Nog great for training ninja and gunslinger talents.
    pawcalypse
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    @LawrenceFox

welcome to mabinogi, the only class allowed to kill anything is melee

if you're not melee, you're doing it wrong

other classes are still fun, just 80% useless most of the time
    @LawrenceFox

welcome to mabinogi, the only class allowed to kill anything is melee

if you're not melee, you're doing it wrong