Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Elitism in PUG parties...

ApologistApologist
Mabinogi Rep: 1,205
edited August 22, 2017 in General Chat
When you start seeing that one person who tries to show off and mess anything and everything up for the pug party how do you deal/confront him/her???

I tend to tuck my gears away and afk in a corner. It's not leeching if someone wants to solo it so badly they refuse to let you do your share of the work right?

Funny enough I was called a leech by that person and was told he was blacklisting me so he'll avoid me in future pug runs.

I don't even...

Nanoca

Comments

• ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    What's a PUG party?
  • Clovis15Clovis15
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,780
    edited August 22, 2017
    To ShouK:

Pick Up Group... PUGs are players you didn't specifically ask to join, they joined more because the party was left open to the public.

To Apologist:

I would advise at least trying to look like you're doing something, even if they're nuking everything so quickly you can't do much of anything. However, I do perfectly understand your frustration when there's nothing left for you to attack half the time. Still, keeping up the appearance of trying - versus flat-out giving up - will generally keep everyone much happier.
    GretaAstralBluepawcalypseZurcishereSherriVeylaine
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    edited August 22, 2017
    shadow mission parties are the most annoying cause the party is made public automatically unless your in a party already. this is why I usually create a party before I even go to Tailteann or Tara for shadow missions. don't expect random players to play the exact way you do. if you have a problem with the way they play then say something and hopefully they will be reasonable about it. but I agree with Liyeta, talk to people cause you can't expect others to read your mind and if you do nothing when a team is counting on you it will always make you look bad.
  • ApologistApologist
    edited August 22, 2017
    I usually get an edgy response such as "U mad?" or "Jelly much?" the last few times I asked 4 some personal space to handle my own things.

It's a dam if U ask dam if U don't situation tbh.

My fav is always the "Git Gudd" response. The presumptions that comes loaded with that edgy comeback is always quite amusing. :rolleyes:
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    I hate this too. I'm only at 5k and my CP isn't very high compared to Elites. I try and work as much as possible, but when people are rushing something in someone else's party without being told to do so (AoE spam, using AoE skills constantly, using fast skills), I get pretty annoyed.

I would simply say something. If they don't like it, kick em. If they cause you trouble, blacklist atleast until you move on in your daily chores. Don't be afraid to say something just because they're intimating. Sometimes you have to let them know it's not welcome in your party, nicely mind you -- But If someone truly is a jerk about something and is making it personally hard for other players, I'd just save myself the trouble and blacklist em. I'm sure they'd be able to find other people to bother - or better yet - stop bothering others at all.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    No need to get angry over things like this. Free experience and gold.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    Pan wrote: »
    No need to get angry over things like this. Free experience and gold.

Sometimes people don't just run things for gold. They may just need to train, but the participant refuses to follow a simple instruction. Sometimes people are just looking for someone to assist getting them through a mission, but the participants rush the mission, which can waste an elite or other kind of pass. This could be considered wasting the pass because the intention of running the mission was to train.

Do you get where I'm going with this? People who take the glory for themselves when others just needed help training is kind of a jerk. It makes me think they believe the world is centered on them, ya know?

This is a common thing I run into. I really have a low tolerance for this kind of behavior from anyone. Especially when I specifically say "I need to kill this in order to train this, can you save some for me?" Or "Please don't rush the mission, give everyone a chance to kill something." but the person still does it. -_-; It's annoying.
    Danievictria
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    If you're running something with someone who bothers you or are otherwise becoming frustrated you could always just leave and find a new group. I understand that you might need to run this mission and you may or may not have friends available to help you. However, you could always try another random group and start it yourself so you can kick anyone who seems like they won't synergize well.

I would always try talking to the person first if it bothers you. If they give a crappy response, just leave if it bothers you still. Leeching might be justifiable against the one person, but people talk and it could impact your future endeavors.
    Ataraxiz
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    My best advice is to block him/her and dont run with them again. There are always people who kill steal and rush dungeons even when you ask them not to so when I encounter such people I refuse to run with them again. Best to work with people who are team players and want everyone to feel like they helped contribute to the successful run of the mission or whatever. Seems counterproductive to accuse someone of leeching when the other person is actually kill stealing for them self :c Maybe try setting up your own party on a popular channel like shopping channel (ch2 if your on Mari) and see if you can find a good group to go with you that will pace themselves and work together to achieve the goals.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    He blacklisted you.

Problem solved.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    giphy.gif That's the thing with pug parties. U can't choose ur members. Just stroke their e-peen(Flatter em) and they won't call U out on Ur free chest/gold/exp. Plus not my dur that's @ risk. :*
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    I remember when I was still noobish the only elitism I saw were parties only taking 2k+ players, now that so many people are at least 5k+ and just clearing entire waves with a single skill I can only imagine how useless lower level players must feel. Back then it wasn't a bad idea to have two people in a room since a single screw up could have you kissing the floor, now it's just "Dude go away, find your own room." or "If you don't one shot, you suck."

As people have said already keep trying, just flat out going afk isn't going to make you look better. And even if they seem like they want to solo it's still leeching if you're afk and they're doing all the work regardless if it's justified or not, you're still afk while they're fighting that's literally what leeching is.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Because while you are in a mission, you would also want to do training while you are at it.

Two for one.
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    TheNyanCat wrote: »
    I remember when I was still noobish the only elitism I saw were parties only taking 2k+ players, now that so many people are at least 5k+ and just clearing entire waves with a single skill I can only imagine how useless lower level players must feel. Back then it wasn't a bad idea to have two people in a room since a single screw up could have you kissing the floor, now it's just "Dude go away, find your own room." or "If you don't one shot, you suck."
    I encountered similar things recently. In a MA run, me and one other player used final hit and started attacking the same npc and this one other party member just stood there watching, saying we didn't cap strength.. I mean sure, our damage is a lot lower than the others' but at least we helped right? It's not like the other players finished killing the other npc anyways, so we didn't delay the run. And I noticed that same player who sneered about our damage, barely contributed anything at all, not that he can't but it seems to me he's lazy, because he just stands around and only sometimes comes to help.

Then there's some players who seems to think everyone can solo a room in Elite mission, saying "what a waste" (it was MY elite pass btw) when I said I can't solo an orb in Shadow Wiz Elite. I take that to heart and tried to solo an orb the next time I run the elite, and I can solo it after all, it just takes some time compared to others who annihilate everything with gun and ninja etc as I don't have AoE attack.
    DanievictriaTheNyanCat
  • RheyRhey
    Liyeta wrote: »
    ShouK wrote: »
    TheNyanCat wrote: »
    I encountered similar things recently. In a MA run, me and one other player used final hit and started attacking the same npc and this one other party member just stood there watching, saying we didn't cap strength.. I mean sure, our damage is a lot lower than the others' but at least we helped right? It's not like the other players finished killing the other npc anyways, so we didn't delay the run. And I noticed that same player who sneered about our damage, barely contributed anything at all, not that he can't but it seems to me he's lazy, because he just stands around and only sometimes comes to help.

Then there's some players who seems to think everyone can solo a room in Elite mission, saying "what a waste" (it was MY elite pass btw) when I said I can't solo an orb in Shadow Wiz Elite. I take that to heart and tried to solo an orb the next time I run the elite, and I can solo it after all, it just takes some time compared to others who annihilate everything with gun and ninja etc as I don't have AoE attack.

Oh~ i remember some very sassy one in ma. A guy wearing all black and kirito wig. A very condescending person that didn't realize why people don't want to join his party

MA is where most elitism are found...for some weird reason when it's easy as heck 2 solo nowadays with how much options are opened to us more than before. Besidez its not like there is a rng wall to enter. It's spammable. :/
  • NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
    I never understood the purpose of Elitism, honestly.
    Whenever I host MA, I generally don't care about how strong the party is, and instead choose to keep players over one thing:
    "If they are clearly putting in effort to defeat enemies and not standing around or away from combat, they are good."

Only time I ever removed someone from MA was if they went to the back away from combat and did nothing for 2 entire rounds.
    First time you do it, I give a chance. Maybe you had to afk on short notice. 2nd time though.....

As for training in Elite shadow missions...
    Just use Other Alch and cooking dungeon solo.
    No really, its easier, faster, and way less stressful.
    Heck, some skills can be trained on Provocation barriers. Or even foxes and raccoons.

If someone joins my party for a specific target or something, I always hope its for a quest to obtain a skill or similar.
    If you feel like you are able to do nothing in rooms or at orbs, just wait at the gate for it to open, or find a seperate orb.

In cases where someone is being counterproductive to the party though, I always tell them.
    And if they are rude about it, well...
    I just pick separate enemies and let their overconfident mistakes get them killed.
    And then more often than not, nobody in the party even tries to feather them until combat is over.

Working in a group is not a complicated skill.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]AstralBluepawcalypseRheyAtaraxizFalaflame
  • RheyRhey
    edited August 22, 2017
    Or get into a clique. I'm solonogi most of the time so its mostly solonogi habits. Just let me know and I'll dial it down. I'd rather do less work if I can nwayz~ B)

Pretty sure most endgame players are like this.
    Policroma
  • NanocaNanoca
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,245
    edited August 22, 2017
    Apologist wrote: »
    When you start seeing that one person who tries to show off and mess anything and everything up for the pug party how do you deal/confront him/her???

I tend to tuck my gears away and afk in a corner. It's not leeching if someone wants to solo it so badly they refuse to let you do your share of the work right?

Funny enough I was called a leech by that person and was told he was blacklisting me so he'll avoid me in future pug runs.

I don't even...

Just deal with it. Someone wants to be the battering ram, let them. Load heal, etc.

I was in one of the more infamous Mabi/Mari guilds, and we never had issues like this.
    We just had fun. Someone made a 'thing' of it the whole guild came down on them.

Sure there were bans. Bans are always temporary.
    Nexon loves the money.

Just be a support player if you're not active, and things will work out.

• OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    This thread is why i run things alone on basic.
    Cause i have no reason to do anything harder.
  • ApologistApologist
    Yea maybe this thread will help people on the forum deal with those who isn't as nice that you run into in game.