Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

How is the game doing :3

MAnderson13MAnderson13
Mabinogi Rep: 710
edited January 3, 2017 in General Chat
Hello there I played mabi a while ago and I got a lot of stuff in it and I really made a great character that I keep wanting to come back to. The only thing that keeps me away however is when I think about how the games player base is so small and I keep fearing that the game will die and take away all my time and money. So I guess I'm just trying to find out from regular players' perspectives how successful you think the game is doing right now? Do you think the game is going to die or do you think it has enough players to keep it alive for a long time? Yeah I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing posts like this but I want some fresh insight now that it's 2017 :3
  1. What do you think of the game's future?60 votes
    1. Will become big again one day
       13% (8 votes)
    2. Stay small but alive due to the dedicated players
       67% (40 votes)
    3. Shrivel and die :(
       20% (12 votes)

Comments

• DaktaroDaktaro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    this is mabi forums not maplestory lol
    is maple's playerbase getting smaller too? o-o; never played it
  • MAnderson13MAnderson13
    Oh crap I meant mabi XD I'll have to edit it haha
    Daktaro
  • MiunaMiuna
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,705
    If I had to keep thinking games are gonna die and take away my time and my money I wouldn't play any online game at all anymore... Mabi still has its players and the staff is visibly working on the game so it doesn't really seem as it will be going down any time soon.
    Peloi[Deleted User]
  • XeekTheMightyXeekTheMighty
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,505
    From what I hear the game is still popular in Korea, which is why content will always be streaming in. We just need to keep the NA office alive.
    Honestly, what I would like is for Mabinogi 2. I am surprised they have gotten this far with this engine. But I question how much more it can be pushed.
    Peloi
  • ErydanosErydanos
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,295
    Mabi is still alive and kicking in Korea, so you can bet is gonna be around some more time. (Heck, even Ragnarok Online is still around and it is from AGES ago!)

Regarding the time and money, well...I'm afraid you have to realize that it is something bound to happen. Games eventually do die and take all your time and money to their digital graves. Remember that you don't own the game, look at it more as a 'service' you can pay money to enjoy some extra things.

Because of that, I suggest you always think about the entertainment value a game provides to you before you start forking out the cash.

Regarding population on the servers, I daresay Alexina and Mari are quite full. (Or so they claim). Ruairi has a decent population and Tarlach was the server with the least players, but that was like a year or more ago when I took a break from Mabi so maybe stuff changed.
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    The Korean servers are alive and healthy and have a good long future ahead of them, but the NA servers have a dark cloud of inevitability over them if things don't change with more focus on retention and advertising. As long as the player population keeps shrinking 5-10% a month like it's been doing the last couple of years, there will eventually come a point where there aren't enough whales around to justify the costs of keeping the NA servers running.

Alexina is the only server still decently populated, the other three are all similarly...sparse.
  • GiegueGiegue
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,975
    Korean servers suffer the same problems the NA server does. The players arent happy with the Gacha based direction the game is going in, but there are still updates and the current dude behind the content creation is doing a great job at giving Mabinogi a refresh and fixing up garbage outdated features such as the Market System, which I can't wait for. The games aren't as popular as they were in their prime and Mabinogi is very aged, but without a fleshed out sequel theres not much point in killing the game yet, it still makes money, so we'll still have time to enjoy it yet.
    My goal is to max out a character so i can feel satisfied that I've "finished" the game so in the event that it does close down, I don't feel like I've had a game I was still actively playing taken away from me.
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    This is all I have to say...
    https://s27.postimg.org/80766rn03/4419544.jpg
    GretaErydanos
  • ErydanosErydanos
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,295
    Ktty
    Ktty said:

This is all I have to say...
    https://s27.postimg.org/80766rn03/4419544.jpg
    *chuckles*

Well it wouldn't be a Mabinogi forum w/o this types of threads.

So...this means our brand new forum has been officially christened?
  • MAnderson13MAnderson13
    Thanks for all the detailed responses everyone. Personally I would hate it if they made a sequel unless they let you transfer your fashionogi over lol. Chefmatthew cannot exist withought his culinary artist outfit lol
  • GiegueGiegue
    edited January 3, 2017
    @MAnderson13
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=kvZ1Sju3ZcQ
    There was a sequel but it was canceled during development due to backlash based around the games playstyle (Vindictus-like style and combat, and Hub based worlds instead of Openworld) The devs canceled the game to start again after agreeing that this wasn't the right direction to take the game and would be a poor marketing decision to continue the game. While a sequel would mean the probable end of the Original, I'd welcome it purely because Mabinogi is so badly aged and dated.
    Heard in the video is mention of Nao (the black haired women) the Milletian (as Nao speaks of them), and the Male Narrator talks of Avalon, the land where the gods each other fight for power. Avalon gate is a new area in Mabinogi, I theorize that the two games may have linked together here if the sequel made it out. It looks really cool but I do agree that it doesn't feel like Mabinogi should.

Mabinogi will probably stay up and running purely because its so unique, unless the game either becomes too expensive to maintain, the sequel comes out, or a catastrophic server error.
    Aeren
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited January 3, 2017
    "Mabinogi will probably stay up and running purely because its so unique, unless the game either becomes too expensive to maintain, the sequel comes out, or a catastrophic server error."

Oh you mean the entire Nexon network crash that happened yesterday because of no maintenance? Oh yeah that catastrophic server error will probably happen next December if they keep up with this neglect every year for the sake of their vacation time. This happens EVERY year. :|

Btw of which there is STILL no maintenance happening. I am especially worried about the servers. Ch1 is to be avoided on Ruairi as of late.
  • GiegueGiegue
    edited January 3, 2017
    Gaea said:

"Mabinogi will probably stay up and running purely because its so unique, unless the game either becomes too expensive to maintain, the sequel comes out, or a catastrophic server error."

Oh you mean the entire Nexon network crash that happened yesterday because of no maintenance? Oh yeah that catastrophic server error will probably happen next December if they keep up with this neglect every year for the sake of their vacation time. This happens EVERY year. :|

Btw of which there is STILL no maintenance happening. I am especially worried about the servers. Ch1 is to be avoided on Ruairi as of late.
    ¦ Nexon Employees are humans with family and it is not up to us to decide how they spend it. Sure the tiny little crash we had yesterday was bothersome but at least it's not like MabiEu. When I mean catastrophic server failure, I mean something like what happened to this MMO: http://kotaku.com/5859963/an-entire-mmo-was-accidentally-erased-from-the-internet
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited January 3, 2017
    To be honest, if the Cash Shop and gachapon model isn't redone into something more modern and agreeable to players then the servers won't be funded as much as it used to be. There's far too many old features that need a revamp, and even new features like the Beauty Coupons need to be changed and improved. Homesteads still lack the interior housing option alternative for free players, and $400 tails were the peak of another Beauty Shop model mistake before they re released in an anime tie up. It doesn't really seem like Nexon was working enough through the years that Mabinogi was popular, so no we have a strain of outdated features, graphics, and infinite state of idleness. Nexon NA doesn't seem to have a very wise marketing team, as Gachapons still have useless items players repeatedly ask not to be added and the $400 for a tail thing happened. Those items don't have to be in a Gachapon, as they could just be sold in bulk for a few dollars instead. Sometimes I wonder if the marketing teams ever even play the game or understand that players spend $10-$40 on average, and not a single cent more. It just seems like they're out of touch with the game and community itself compared to the KR team.
  • DaisyShannonDaisyShannon
    Mabinogi Rep: 510
    I just joined yesterday and I was advised to play on C7 mostly for a bigger population of players on a previous post of mine on Tarlach. However I have noticed that although there are a few huddles groups around a large portion of where I've been to so far lies empty with just myself and NPCs to be seen. I'm thinking maybe this game is dead or dying? I could be wrong but I play MMOs for the multiplayer experience. If I wanted single player I'd play Skyrim or something lol.
  • ZerozakuZerozaku
    Mabinogi Rep: 720
    edited January 4, 2017
    Probably a low point because of a mixture of:
    Christmas Break, Winter Game Sales, and Winter events with more incentive in other games.

Overall, it's definitely declined though.
    Like most MMORPGs, you're going to find the majority of the server huddled in commerce areas and less population during content droughts.

Dunbarton and Belvast are the populated towns. The unofficial "market" channel will vary by server.
    DaisyShannonKtty
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    DaisyShannon

I just joined yesterday and I was advised to play on C7 mostly for a bigger population of players on a previous post of mine on Tarlach. However I have noticed that although there are a few huddles groups around a large portion of where I've been to so far lies empty with just myself and NPCs to be seen. I'm thinking maybe this game is dead or dying? I could be wrong but I play MMOs for the multiplayer experience. If I wanted single player I'd play Skyrim or something lol.
    Tarlach players don't do the huge groups of people the way other servers seem to still. You will find people in smaller groups scattered all over. And I do mean all over. But as @Zerozaku said, this is a low point. Through the holidays there's always fewer people on but they all come back. If you would like someone to help out you can always add me IGN: Ktty (yes I'm on Tarlach). As you do run into people on Tarlach don't be shy, you'll find that most of us are very friendly and helpful.
    DaisyShannon
  • DaisyShannonDaisyShannon
    Mabinogi Rep: 510
    edited January 4, 2017
    Thank you for the replies! I'll remember your offer Kitty. Oh by the way can you tell me why there are gravestones dotted all about? Lol!
  • mintielmintiel
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,855
    Isn't Tarlach the least populated server atm?
  • GentlemenGentlemen
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,340
    DaisyShannon

Thank you for the replies! I'll remember your offer Kitty. Oh by the way can you tell me why there are gravestones dotted all about? Lol!
    Those are guildstones
    DaisyShannonCrimsọn