Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mounted Combat Skill

YangKoeteYangKoete
Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
in Feedback and Suggestions
An addition for the Lance Combat area as a main skill, but can be affected from other weapon classes.

My reasoning for this skill is to give people more variety in fighting and giving pets more combat use for ones such as horses, which we all start with nowadays, as well as give us better abilities to use with our pets, and make a non-race-specific combat skill.

How to obtain would be simple; You need to have competed in a jousting match, and you get the quest to get Lance Mastery up to Rank C.
Once you get to tht level, you will learn it at the jousting arena for a basic rank.

How it'll work;
Up until Rank D, you'll only be able to use Lances for the Mounted Combat skill, but as you progress you'll be able to use other weapons;
Definitely; Melee weapons, Bows, Crossbows, Dual Guns.

But I do see issues with it working with Magic and Alchemy, but it'd still potentially work.

Bard would still be able to use their buffing songs, just not Dischord or Dance of Death.

Definitely no Mounted Combat for Martial Arts, Puppetry, Ninja or Chain Slasher, however.

To get said talents usable for Mounted Combat, you'd need to get their Masteries up to Rank 9.

I was thinking the main stat raised would be Hp and Sp for the most part, maybe Strength as well.
  1. Would you want Mounted Combat?4 votes
    1. Yes! All of this sounds great!
       25% (1 vote)
    2. Not at all.
       0% (0 votes)
    3. Yes, but try to include the other Talents more.
       25% (1 vote)
    4. Yes, but only for specific weapons (Longswords, Lances, Bows, but not with Daggers, for example.)
       50% (2 votes)

Comments

• GiegueGiegue
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,975
    I like your theory, though there are definitely a couple shortcomings.
    -Elves can in fact use archery on the back of a horse already, the reason its not a universal thing is because its a unique trait for elves seeing as they have little else.
    -Additionally, I think Melee weapons should only include two handed melee weapons, but this would cause issues for elves. Lances are essentially the Giant and Human version of mounted combat to give them something to compare with elves.
    -It would trivialize the unique trait of Combat Mount pets who's main feature was mounted combat. These pets use the damage of your weapon when mounted, essentially already allowing mounted Melee and Magic.
    -It locks an additional skill behind the pet system, which isn't too bad but this fixates it on mounts.
    -Dual Gun seems kinda pointless considering how it's based on movement skills. You'd be knocked off your mount very quickly.

However, I absolutely support the idea that bards should be able to play instruments while mounted. Mounted healing too would be very cool for raids. Troubadour anyone?
    YangKoete
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    Ahhh! I never knew that about the elves/combat mounts.

And Dual Gun I was thinking just for normal attacks.

Otherwise I can see quite a few issues...
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Yeeeesss

I know some people like to tell me that I can lance charge on a mount, but I really prefer the mounted mag spam that I can do on my elves.

inb4 another 3-page argument about not giving racial specialities to other races
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    Actually, I think it'd be cool if elves got some kind of "galloping shot" similar to the technique used by Mongolian archers wherein one would shoot an arrow while riding a mount that's charging toward them at full speed, thus greatly increasing the amount of inertial force in the shot. :D
    YangKoete