Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Is commerce mastery bugged?

ShouKShouK
Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
edited January 8, 2017 in Help
The requirements said
1) Earn 100 or more ducats in a single chunk through Commerce at a trading post
2) Earn 1000 or more ducats in a single chunk through Commerce at a trading post
Requirement 1 only works when I'm at lower rank and as I rank the skill, I had to sell as 2 chunks for it to count.
Requirement 2 only works in the beginning, somehow it doesn't count anymore so I tried 2 chunks, then it worked, after that it doesn't work and I had to sell every chunks simultaneously for it to work now. What gives?

Comments

• PyroPyro
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,030
    edited January 8, 2017
    You're probably just be doing your math wrong o.o

The overall ducats received in the chunk doesn't matter. The profit gained is what counts. You can easily see this by looking at the Gold gained, as this is equal to the profit you made in ducats.

For example, I just brought 600 Lovely Potions from Tir to Tara. The price to purchase them in Tir was 175 ducats per item and Tara bought them off of me for 263 each. As a result, I was making 88 ducats profit per item. I have rank 1 Commerce Mastery, so I get a 15% bonus to my earnings. In order to receive training at rank 1, I needed to sell in profit chunks of 5,000 ducats. After doing a little multiplying, I found out that 50 potions needed to be in each chunk in order to reach the 5,000 requirement. (50 potions * 88 profit each * 1.15 mastery bonus = 5,060). Given my total load of 600 items, I was able to sell 12 chunks of 50 potions and received training towards the 5,000 ducat requirement for each of them.
  • ShouKShouK
    @Pyro Oh LOL I thought the numbers are the amount of ducats earned, not the actual profits. I calculated like what you said and yes it works. Thank you!

And do you have any tips on how to earn ducats efficient? Currently I have just managed to purchase a wagon, and I have a commerce reforge lvl 17 and a commerce partner, but going forth from Tailteann to Tara only nets me on average 2k ducats per trip. And 1 trip takes about 3~4 minutes. So in 1 hour roughly only 30k ducats T^T
  • PyroPyro
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,030
    @ShouK Ouch, 2k per trip? On a regular basis? In Tarlach, all trips from Tail->Tara look like they'd be at least 4k+ unless something tanked while travelling. I personally never did Tail->Tara trips though.

Taking a quick look at Tail's options in Tarlach, I see that Palala Crystals (Merchant Rating 4) would probably be good for you:
    450 Palala Crystals (Wagon) -> 15 profit per at Cobh = 6,750 ducat trip
    700 Palala Crystals (Elephant) -> 15 profit per at Cobh = 10,500 ducat trip
    *commerce partner, merchant rating, and mastery bonuses excluded

I imagine you should be able to travel from Tail->Cobh at least 5 times within an hour via wagon to match/exceed your current 30k rate. Once your merchant rating is 5, you'd be able to get 16 profit in Cobh because of the 1% Tail discount. It's not much itself, but all of the bonuses really start to add up.

Your goal should be to get to a merchant rating of 7 for Tail so that you can start transporting the Limited Item that restocks *almost* every 2 hours real-time. Then, once you're able to, get the elephant and continue on at Tail or consider raising Tir up to a merchant rating of 7.

I'm rather lazy with commercing now so I tend to only do Tir's when I see that a restock is about to occur. Even so, I've been able to purchase a harp for 5 million ducats, 1.8 mil worth of Yvona composition skill books, and I'm currently at 3.5 mil for my quest to obtain a piano >.< Tir = OP. Unlocking it was annoying because it was slow beforehand, but it really pays off if you don't want to have to do as much work later.
  • ShouKShouK
    edited January 9, 2017
    @Pyro Is there a difference between server? Because in Alexina right now, I am doing Tail>Cobh and forth and runs from Tail is 4-5k profit, 5k being the max, and Cobh is 3.5~5k but never exactly reach 5k. In ~30 minutes, I have managed to gained ~25k ducats with 4~5 minutes the average time per trip. I forgot to count how many trip I managed in 30 minutes, but I think about 5~7. So in 1 hour I guess I should be able to get about 50k ducats which is definitely an upgrade from my previous route.

My rating for both Tail and Cobh are 4 right now. So I should continue till I reach max level with both until I am able to purchase the elephant? Then after I get the elephant I should start to raise my rating at Tir? But from Tir, to which town should I go? I am really bad at estimating the distance (always need to check the map) being spoiled by the moon book and all lol

And what about Byrun the Smuggler? Shouldn't I take advantage of him or is it a bad idea?

EDIT: And is the ship the only way to go to Belvast?
  • HanasakiHanasaki
    Mabinogi Rep: 820
    Max level's 9, but I think unlocking limited goods at 7 is good enough. Then you can just do that to 9.
    It's okay, I'm bad at estimating distance too. ; u; From Tir, I generally think Dunbarton's the no-no choice but everywhere else is decent?

[[Yes, the ship is the only way to get to Belvast while commercing.]]

Trading with Byrun the Smuggler will lower your town rating, I personally wouldn't recommend it for regular use since you're trying to raise it to unlock all possible trade goods. Since you're ranking commerce mastery, I'm not sure if you'd care much for him anyway since he's not a trading post and wouldn't count towards the training requirements.

However, if you have a life talent and see the smuggler announcements/friend who informs you of them, the daily trade good would be a nice ducat boost without tanking your rating. It's daily irl though, you can't keep bringing him the good even if it's the same/another day in Erinn iirc.

You mention the beginner's traveling moon book but I don't want to make any assumptions on your combat ability/availability of friendship labor, so I want to make sure you're aware of alternative options to earn ducats if you don't feel like purely commercing until you get the elephant.

>Outlaw hunting: Maybe you can get your hands on some bounty hunter cards from previous gachapons, the mini npc helper+ducat boost is pretty nice. It's an option to consider even if you don't have the cards if you can handle it, just interact with the wanted board next to a trading post. Cancel the hunt by finding the button towards the top right of the screen, the give up option is invisible.
    >Scathach metallurgy: Make your friend beat up white crystal golems while you use metallurgy and sieve their remains :^ ) They're used to trade in for commerce goods at the scary-beach trading post.
    (The drop chance is pretty darn low so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have company that keeps you from going bored.)
  • ErydanosErydanos
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,295
    ShouK
    ShouK said:

EDIT: And is the ship the only way to go to Belvast?
    Yeah, unfortunately that's the only way, since you cannot use the Moon Gates while Commercing (it's good to get the title that allows you to board the Fishing Boat in Rano, though)

And yes, each server has it's own Commerce rates and the amount of players also affects the availability of goods and prices. More players mean you have to get ready to get Limited Items, specially the Lovely Potions from Tir (they sell out fast!), and how much prices can tank (for example, if lots of players start building up Commerce by going to Belfast to Cobh or Dunby, the prices of said items can go pretty low)
  • ShouKShouK
    @Hanasaki Ranking up the commerce mastery is just a side thing. I just really want to earn ducats fast hence the smuggler owo However I tried selling it to the smuggler and most of time it doesn't really seem efficient time-wise as the town of the daily goods is always far from the smuggler (compared to my usual route) and I got a boatload of bandits spawning it's driving me crazy. Only earned 9-10k ducats and it seems I'm much better off just commercing the normal way. I also tried outlaw hunting and idk if I chose the strongest outlaw or what, but I'm too weak for that. I barely do any damage to the boss even with final hit. And I played solonogi so friends is out of the questions lol

@Erydanos Does the commerce rates changes with channels too? Many players must've commerce from Tir then, the price tanked so quickly...
  • ErydanosErydanos
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,295
    edited January 11, 2017
    @ShouK As far as I remember, channels don't matter. (EDIT: An extract from Mabi World Wiki on Commerce):

- Different towns give a different sales price for each item based on demand. Generally, the farther you go, the better the profit.
    -Selling prices for goods are weighted depending on the distance of the originating outpost. The farther the distance, the more weight on (the higher the) selling price.
    - The price changes similar to Farming system. If people sell certain products to a certain city, the prices will drop.
    - However, the price per town remains consistent per channel.

And yes, prices tank because Lovely Potions have the less weight so you can stock a ton of then, that is what makes them the fav Limited Good.

Also keep in mind that many players start ranking Commerce going from Tir-Dunby and back (Becoz of that damn backpack), so is a heavy traffic zone.

I personally do Tara-Cobh and back, since once you pass Blago Prairie, avoiding bandits is easier.