Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Sprite + Divine Link Buff?

BronzebreakBronzebreak
Mabinogi Rep: 3,940
edited April 5, 2018 in Help
So, I was thinking, if you get the buffs of a pet that bonds with you, and r1 Divine Link gives 110% of their level as a protection gain, AND you normally don't get any defense/prot buffs while linking, then as long as you didn't need to get juicy stats and/or if you didn't use DL for just aggro management, wouldn't a L200 Lime Sprite + r1 Divine Link + r14 Subsets give you 222 Prot, 200 Defense + bonus from Str, and 60% melee defense, or am I just understanding this wrong?

If I do got this on lock.... why don't I see anyone using it?

I tried wiki/forums but no-one has seemed to be giving the poor guys any love since.... before AoE pets became meta.
  1. I is the smart? I is change meta?13 votes
    1. You got 'er.
       15% (2 votes)
    2. You dun' goofed.
       23% (3 votes)
    3. Why'd you even make a poll?
       62% (8 votes)

Comments

• FroglordFroglord
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,020
    You don't get anything, but you do get stun reduction from one of divine link's sub-skills after unifying with a sprite.
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    The point of using divine link is for aggro management though..
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited April 5, 2018
    Aggro management. No need for stun shields if you are not the one being targeted.
  • OdinwolfeOdinwolfe
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
    Aggro management. No need for stun shields if you are not the one being targeted.

Despite having Divine Link on more than half the time I'm fighting, I get aggro'd and targeted directly quite often.
  • LunarZeroLunarZero
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,535
    Odinwolfe wrote: »

Despite having Divine Link on more than half the time I'm fighting, I get aggro'd and targeted directly quite often.

I've noticed this as well. Oddly enough, the higher the rank I get, the MORE I get aggroed. Around R8, I'd see a whole room go blue and attack my scooter, now at R3, maybe R2, I forget, I see 2 blue marks and the rest are red and go after me.
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    edited April 5, 2018
    With link I never notice an aggro problem unless I attack something (then of course it's gonna get mad at me and not the pet). I tried the sprite thing a while ago and it's not a good idea lol the stats you get from it are sub-par plus you lose the little tank drawing fire away from you.

Also I'm pretty sure unifying doesn't give you the pets stats. You get some little tiny buff of like 2 def and 2 prot or something kind of like having a pet summoned for x time (companion bonus; in this case: unification bonus). It's fixed not variable by level and doesn't go up based on the Sprites stats. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    edited April 5, 2018
    Odinwolfe wrote: »

It may depend on the monster. For example, in Baltane Elite Missions, mobs tend to target the player and the pet in equal doses, due to a stated change in the AI mechanic that causes them to be more aggressive towards the player. (In general, it seems Elite Baltane monsters ignore the otherwise universal aggro brought on by Divine Link.)

For shadow missions, lords, dungeons, and otherwise, the difference in aggro is generally always directed to the pet.
  • Sephard3Sephard3
    Mabinogi Rep: 465
    Yeah the only mob types that all aggro the pet are the ones with infinite aggro
    Mobs with single aggro or dual aggro (fighters and lancers etc.) only 2 can go for the pet and the rest see you

And the sprites only give I think 3 defense and protection regardless of level and Divine Link
  • BronzebreakBronzebreak
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,940
    Well darn there goes my master plan, lol.

As noted in my original comment, I do understand that most people use it for aggro tanks, but that is irrelevant to my question.

I do understand that there is no level-up bonus for the Sprite, and that there is the age decrease effect, so that a L1 and L100 and L200 sprite of the same age all only give their 1/2 def/prot normally when unified.

I had been under the impression that when mounted you gained some def/prot, but I tested it further and appear to be mistaken.

Sorry for roping y'all into a discussion after a 2 AM sleep-deprived post.
    edited April 5, 2018
    Well darn there goes my master plan, lol.

As noted in my original comment, I do understand that most people use it for aggro tanks, but that is irrelevant to my question.

I do understand that there is no level-up bonus for the Sprite, and that there is the age decrease effect, so that a L1 and L100 and L200 sprite of the same age all only give their 1/2 def/prot normally when unified.

I had been under the impression that when mounted you gained some def/prot, but I tested it further and appear to be mistaken.

Sorry for roping y'all into a discussion after a 2 AM sleep-deprived post.

Our replies have been centered around this quote of yours.
    If I do got this on lock.... why don't I see anyone using it?

The reason why no one uses this is because people value aggro tanks more. I have not seen AOE spam in a long time, except for Nimbus heals and certain debuffs.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Naw. My reasons is more simpler than that. I'm not walking AAHM or anything for that matter linked to sumthing I can't mount for the speed boost. I one_shot most things anyways. Prefer to link 2 a fast mount so I can get off>One_shot>Remount>vroooom off!