Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Name Changes

Comments

• ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    I support, this should have been already implemented in NA Mabinogi looong time ago along with the server transfer thingy...

As for three people (at that time) who voted no, I’d really like to know their reasoningwhy aside from using the obvious reason regarding scammers.
    Elfy
  • EkaterinEkaterin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,360
    Yes, please. I won't use it myself, but I would not object to seeing fewer "Legolas420" and "Kirito6969"-type character names.
    Elfy
  • KrissyPootelKrissyPootel
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,445
    ive been wanting this for soo long to change my cringe name i made when i was just a kid.
  • CalemCalem
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    I think it'd be best to make it a "one time use" item. for situations like. people scamming someone then changing their name and doing it over and over and such.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Thora ~ In order for this to even be feasible, it'd have to be automated. If you graze over this topic even slightly, you won't find many people saying it can't be done. Not even myself. That's not the argument and this is not KR. This has been discussed for the past 10 years, many times.

Which was exactly my point when I said this:
    Hazurah wrote: »
    confusing isnt it?, the most basic part of MMORPG does not exist in the game
    NAME CHANGING! HOW HARD IT CAN BE?

Considering the fact that KR has a team dedicated to monitoring each request, as well as fraud checkers... Nexon NA is probably not in a state to release it at this time.
    If they had implemented it several years earlier, they would have had the additional human resources available to do so.
    Right now they aren't matching up in any popularity contests, so finding capable employees is probably going to be difficult, unless there's just one person who can handle the mountains of time it'll take.
    There's just so much that needs to be done to keep Mabinogi up to date and modern, that it probably seems like something Nexon KR or NA doesn't really think needs to be added immediately.

The fact that it's relatively easy for KR to do this with multiple teams for different things means that it's not impossible.
    Rather, it's more difficult for NA to do this, simply because they aren't as strict, or public on community fraud with an entire team dedicated to it.
    (IE- KR's Wall of Shame)
    Instead, NA likely just uses the GMs and any other members on the technical side who communicate with the instigators and reporters via emails.
    This means that any player who spends $10-$30 on a name change after being rude, profane, or scammy, will still be out there with a different name, but the investigation may take longer with a shorter staff than KR has. (Even with the 30 day limit.)
    KR has naming rules in place that could work here, but only if NA actually had enough people available to fraud check and review.
    Product Link and KR summary of Service:
    top.jpg
    detail_2.jpg
    detail_1.jpg

[Deleted User]
  • ThoraThora
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    edited January 22, 2018
    @Thora ~ In order for this to even be feasible, it'd have to be automated. If you graze over this topic even slightly, you won't find many people saying it can't be done. Not even myself. That's not the argument and this is not KR. This has been discussed for the past 10 years, many times.

Which was exactly my point when I said this:
    Hazurah wrote: »
    confusing isnt it?, the most basic part of MMORPG does not exist in the game
    NAME CHANGING! HOW HARD IT CAN BE?

Considering the fact that KR has a team dedicated to monitoring each request, as well as fraud checkers... Nexon NA is probably not in a state to release it at this time.
    If they had implemented it several years earlier, they would have had the additional human resources available to do so.
    Right now they aren't matching up in any popularity contests, so finding capable employees is probably going to be difficult, unless there's just one person who can handle the mountains of time it'll take.
    There's just so much that needs to be done to keep Mabinogi up to date and modern, that it probably seems like something Nexon KR or NA doesn't really think needs to be added immediately.

The fact that it's relatively easy for KR to do this with multiple teams for different things means that it's not impossible.
    Rather, it's more difficult for NA to do this, simply because they aren't as strict, or public on community fraud with an entire team dedicated to it.
    (IE- Wall of ShameKR's)
    Instead, NA likely just uses the GMs and any other members on the technical side who communicate with the instigators and reporters via emails.
    This means that any player who spends $10-$30 on a name change after being rude, profane, or scammy, will still be out there with a different name, but the investigation may take longer with a shorter staff than KR has. (Even with the 30 day limit.)
    KR has naming rules in place that could work here, but only if NA actually had enough people available to fraud check and review.
    Product Link and KR summary of Service:
    top.jpg
    detail_2.jpg
    detail_1.jpg

So... the argument is that Nexon NA isn't ready / doesn't have the necessary team for monitoring the name changes and such.... right?..
    Then why do they have the what it takes for NA's MapleStory?... if i remember well, this was an event item from the "V Shop" which was in game! you honestly think they tried to investigate every name change on a massive server event? hmmm o.O
    2016-12-07%2011_32_17-MapleStory.png

Sherri
  • ThoraThora
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    edited March 3, 2018
    @Thora
    Thora wrote: »
    Then why do they have the what it takes for NA's MapleStory?
    There's also possible side effects to having your name changed in Mabinogi. These are known of because of actions taken by GMs on a personal basis. ~ For example: (Pay close attention to the names over their heads on the following linked post; from this thread). http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/comment/62857/#Comment_62857

i know such side effects, that's because they are married and have a faimily tree too, so...

there's few requirements in mabi KR to being able to use the name change item, and you are just giving an example of name change in NA Mabinogi back in 2015, altho its glitchy, thats because neither the GM or player took the neccesary time to fullfit the name change requirements... So:
    -im not Guild subscribed / i can quit for name change anyways...
    -im not married
    -im not part of a family tree
    -im not holding items in the housing nor have a house
    -i could simply clean my buddy list....
    -im not married
    -im not carrying any exclusive item?
    -i don't care for homesteads, honestly...

Then... Why... why couldn't us, the ones that fit in with the requirements to name change, pay for it?... i really don't understand yet why would that be so hard, if its already been done in the past and its currently being done on oversea versions of mabinogi lol

also, hey nexon! any update on this? how many years we are going to wait till a good service?
    i have spent a lot of money in my account, im not even asking something that complicated you know :/
  • TsumikkiTsumikki
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,200
    edited April 6, 2018
    I'm playing like a ninja all alone because I hate my main's ign. I wish there was a way to change the name... I'd pay for it handsomely. ;_;
    People change, some things become embarrassing, but the characters are geared towards maining one-three ones. What do you think?
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    $50 per name change in NA. How badly do you want it?
  • Hellborn454Hellborn454
    Mabinogi Rep: 310
    edited May 18, 2018
    I have Been playing with a name that i used to use a long time ago and i really want to change it to something else is their anyway we could add a Name Changing Potion or Coupon to the game cause having this name is really boring and i wished it to be changed to something else and besides i know there is the 'A new Character Start' way but i really dont want to create a new character and lose all of my time training for the skills as well as the progress that i have made in the game
    Saianna
  • catharborcatharbor
    Mabinogi Rep: 970
    edited June 23, 2018
    Nexon Korea has issued coupons where the user can change a character's name. Please do consider that for Nexon NA servers.
  • TeddieTeddie
    Mabinogi Rep: 565
    I think that's a swift idea -- But what name would we be able to change to? Most of them are taken by inactive players it seems.
    *Shameless bump for my name purge thread*
  • AkirachuAkirachu
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,260
    edited June 25, 2018
    well its funny i ask if they can make the letter in my name in mabi from lower to capp and there like it will mess up when i know there just lazy and they can change the name they do it to ppl with bad names so its just nexon being lazy and not caring for the players
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    -Shrugs- Since name changes are bought and changed per maintenance usually so they can get it situated....I wouldn't mind having a friend list wipe atop of everything else like a clean slated character...besides my skills. >.< As it is almost everyone on my list is pretty much gone. As for spirit weapons and items bound...they could just make it character locked until they use it as it will be perma bound on your character to lessen other complications.

Looking back at the quotes from the games...espeically NA. All but maplestory has a very very low income in comparison. It will take a very.....very long time before it gets implemented unless people stop paying and have them wonder what is going on and then listen. Or they shut it down. idk lol.
  • shikahrilshikahril
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,320
    i know this has been something people have been asking to get for quite awhile, and im sure nexon has noticed the desire of the masses. is there any chance that name changing can become a thing for players to use?

pets can be renamed with adoption medals, and homesteads can now if you move to a new region. can some kind of option be made to chance player names for those who want to do so, without starting over from scratch..
  • RobykyunRobykyun
    Mabinogi Rep: 830
    edited September 26, 2018
    I hope Nexon adds In-game name changes to Mabinogi. They always change innapropiate names, why don't they let us change our names? Their Other games have this feature.

(Younger me choose a dumb name, i want to replace my in-game name to the one i use here in the forums, oof)
  • Macal007Macal007
    Mabinogi Rep: 930
    edited June 21, 2019
    ..wow..

First off, when programming a database for gaming, you assign everyone a number, which is only known to the server, and only used
    internally. then you attach the name in a field, which is freely alterable (whether customers need to pay for it or not)
    This would mean that everything on the character's table would never reffer to a name directly, but to the number.
    Then when a certain stuff is attached to a certain player, it would refer to that number, not the name field.
    Changing the name field would then cause no problems whatsoever,
    And could potentially yield bountiful cash for the company, since they can charge a nice fee for it.
    Then when people are truly fed up with their name they could change it.

Now, if the server internally would refer to an actual name instead,
    the solution is simple.
    Let's say the customer ID is field #1, which is then followed by all the stuff they have and skills etc,
    in fields >#1, so basically everything points at the name.
    Now reformatting the entire database, would need some work, simply by adding a 20 byte assignment in just another field,
    right after the fields as they were before.
    Now you can keep the #1 field as the internl name, while using the new field as the displayed name.
    This field is now freely changeable,
    and the name displayed should reffer to the new field rather than the 'internal name' one (the #1)
    Now you display the chosen name, and new players get an internal name (possibly an alfanumerical sequence),
    while they instead fill the added new name field with whichever they have chosen.

Job done.

Well, unless the database is hardfixed to use certain ranges within the table.
    In that case..umm..bad programming leading to 'ur effles' result ?
    Basically the coding required to fix such a table, is extensive, and also badly planned.

but yeah, it would be nice to finally remove those numbers from my name.

Maybe get a major geek nerd straight from highschool, who's already way more advanced
    in database alteration, and use a ghost server, checking if everything works, and if names are
    dislpayed and referenced beforehand.
    Mind you, it doesn't have to be a full server, just a multicore system with the database file on it,
    since testing would only involve a handfull of people.

But that's just me.

I'd estimate the cost of implementing this at about $3000, but with so many wanting to
    change their name even if it would cost them, easily afforded.
    $10 is a small price to pay to remove those annoying numbers,
    and persoanlly, most my gaming toons have a different name for me now.
    (Except this one)

In any case, it's nice to be able to, even if there's payment involved.

Danievictria
  • Macal007Macal007
    Mabinogi Rep: 930
    edited June 21, 2019
    Also, with a database of over 100K entries, with 1 Mb per entry, the entire database would only be 100Gb, which can be
    reformatted in just under 15 minutes I'd say (using drive to 'diff''drive ops, not drive to same drive ops)

Also, backing up the database would be unneccesary since the original database would not be changed.
    The 'new' database with the extra field would be a different drive.
    (and also very handy just in case someone fouls up..)
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Why they are taking so long to add something that already exists in KR?

Nexon are a bunch of weirdos...
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Greta wrote: »
    Why they are taking so long to add something that already exists in KR?

Nexon are a bunch of weirdos...

My guess is that they want to repair all the fallout from the merge first out of fear that opening the name change gates before that is complete might lead to more work and headaches for us and them.
    Hisahime