Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

The Tara Bank PTJ

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
in General Chat
This job forces you to get in contact with a complete stranger. Typically what happens is the jobber friends the stranger, they accept, the jobber explains what's going on via an in-game chat window, the two meet at a homestead, the PTJ is completed, and both go their separate ways with either both of them remaining in each others friends list or both unfriending. If you are not the jobber then your experience is that you suddenly get an unsolicited in-game friend request. I've heard a few folks say that excepting an unsolicited friend request in-game can expose you to hacking. I don't see how it could. Can someone shed light on this?

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    It is baseless rumours arising from paranoia, nothing more.

It could theoretically "happen", but so could a number of things, ranging from being hijacked via opening a note to being blackrobed by using the mailbox.

• dowiedowie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,800
    Some next level paranoia
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited July 8, 2018
    the ONLY way something like that could happen is if person A accepts a random friend request from person B and then person A proceeds to give out their personal account information to person B.... which they would not do if they had any ounce of brain matter in their head. People doing the job won't be asking for personal information... they'll only be asking to meet and hand over a package. if they ask anything other than that then they're phishing and you delete them. plain and simple. I don't know why people are so paranoid

Long story short: There's no way simply adding another player can allow a hacking. They have to be dumb and give out their account information
    JazmynVeylaineBronzebreakoffwithyourheadsLongSly
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    I'm also going to point out, it seems like they'll ask to meet in yours or their own homestead to do the exchange.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    90% of the time they are not on my friends list and that player is 99% of the time afk.

I hate this ptj.
    BronzebreakGoldtiger01TwelieSpaceCat
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    I don't like this PTJ, either.

I mean it's inconvenient, but my simplest reason for thinking that would probably be "it forces me to rely on strangers who are as likely to respond and take a break from their fun to receive a gift that probably contains garbage as they are to not be AFK in the first place".

Well, except on the off-chance the PTJ picks someone who I know and am friends with.
    I mean, that's never happened to me, but, ya'know.
    Wouldn't that be nice?
    JazmynBronzebreakGoldtiger01Twelie
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    Well, except on the off-chance the PTJ picks someone who I know and am friends with.
    I mean, that's never happened to me, but, ya'know.
    Wouldn't that be nice?

I once did the PTJ and got one of my best friends as the recipient. It is nice.
    Iyasenu
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    Gaea wrote: »
    90% of the time they are not on my friends list and that player is 99% of the time afk.

I hate this ptj.

But then there is the joy of getting someone who isn't afk but decides to reply at 11:40 pm.
    IyasenuKensamaofmari
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    TheNyanCat wrote: »
    Gaea wrote: »

I hate this ptj.

But then there is the joy of getting someone who isn't afk but decides to reply at 11:40 pm.

Sob...
    IyasenuSpaceCat
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735

It could theoretically "happen", but so could a number of things, ranging from being hijacked via opening a note to being blackrobed by using the mailbox.
    That reminds me..when I was a newbie, I did this ptj a lot as my best source of income, and some players are so paranoid that I have to explain really slowly and carefully to convince them that this is an actual quest from the game and not some sort of hacking trick. It’s amazed me, a newbie, that so many “old” players didn’t even know about this ptj when I was doing it at the time.
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    ShouK wrote: »

That reminds me..when I was a newbie, I did this ptj a lot as my best source of income, and some players are so paranoid that I have to explain really slowly and carefully to convince them that this is an actual quest from the game and not some sort of hacking trick. It’s amazed me, a newbie, that so many “old” players didn’t even know about this ptj when I was doing it at the time.

People are so paranoid and weird as [bleep].

Once got added by a random person doing that PTJ. Funny thing is I actually was on my way to the bank to to the PTJ myself haha.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    I've had several instances when I was active but in a dungeon or something similar when someone added me to do their PTJ. I feel really bad because while I'm active I can't accept the package because of my current location.
  • MegasoulMegasoul
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,735
    Since the PTJ always gives a Falias Fragment, the difficulty was probably intended; that said I don't recommend doing it on popular channels (especially at times of the day people are likely going to be AFK). Most of the people you get will be at Dunbarton or Belvast with a few outliers in places like Tir Chonaill.
    Fluorette
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    The reason why there is such paranoia is because at the time there was this special program...and even if you added the person and removed them...They can use said program and still see when you log in and off as well as teleport to where you are. This was a very scary program......that even the GM's use. So I doubt it would go away unless they implemented a whole nother program.

I hope this helps.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    asnscorpio wrote: »
    The reason why there is such paranoia is because at the time there was this special program...and even if you added the person and removed them...They can use said program and still see when you log in and off as well as teleport to where you are. This was a very scary program......that even the GM's use. So I doubt it would go away unless they implemented a whole nother program.

I hope this helps.

I really hope what you said is a good lie. It will give people a lot of FUD if it actually happened in past.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Greta wrote: »

I hope this helps.

I really hope what you said is a good lie. It will give people a lot of FUD if it actually happened in past.

I think I had heard something about that too. IIRC it was a hack based on giving the player GM capabilities. Over time the powers that be do improve security by taking services off the client side and putting them on the server side. You get better security, but more lag; alas no free lunch.
  • EmerisEmeris
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,120
    Helsa wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »

I hope this helps.

I think I had heard something about that too. IIRC it was a hack based on giving the player GM capabilities. Over time the powers that be do improve security by taking services off the client side and putting them on the server side. You get better security, but more lag; alas no free lunch.
    http://mabinogi.nexon.net/News/all/130/00DSi/monday-january-2-2012
    Are you talking about this event? It was scary playing during that time, but it was mostly limited to camp tents around Dunbarton, if I recall correctly.

I think the paranoia surrounding the Tara PTJ has more to do with the fact that not many people seem to know about it or understand how it works...
    Doing this job stinks if the recipient is also AFK as well. It'd be much less of a hassle if we had to deliver to a random NPC or something.