Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Alexina Should have been in Nao.

Comments

• ShogaiShogai
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,090
    I just might server change to Alexina if it'll be emptier. Y'all are lucky.
    SpareohWolfenstinNishiki
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited June 6, 2019
    Shogai wrote: »

The old servers were small enough that they were merged together, while Alexina was considered big enough to not be merged. What you are experiencing now is nothing new for us. Still it must be coming as a shock to you; that's understandable. Marians are on a twice as big server, Ruairians three times, and Tarlachites four times. It may not be easy to see right now, but you will get used to it and adapt; you all will. Consider this, all that you are now experiencing is nothing new to the folks on Alexina, yet in spite of all that, we'd all like to be merged too.
    JOKJR
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    edited June 6, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »

The old servers were small enough that they were merged together, while Alexina was considered big enough to not be merged. What you are experiencing now is nothing new for us. Still it must be coming as a shock to you; that's understandable. Marians are on a twice as big server, Ruairians three times, and Tarlachites four times. It may not be easy to see right now, but you will get used to it and adapt; you all will. Consider this, all that you are now experiencing is nothing new to the folks on Alexina, yet in spite of all that, we'd all like to be merged too.

A merge isn't a real solution to dwindling player numbers, its a response to the company's lack of confidence in being able to draw in new players. There's also a problem now of people who previous wanted to get away from players in those servers are now stuck with them or throw away everything they've invested to maybe keep away from those people until the next time they do a final merge into 1 server. While players will have to adapt to continue enjoying the game, this was an unnecessary change that was imposed on many players that did not want the merge to take place. They should've implemented server transfer only and let players choose if they want to migrate to a more populated server or to a less populated one. The choice now has also been taken away as we now only have 2 highly populated servers.
    SpareohNishiki
  • HelsaHelsa
    GTCvActium wrote: »

A merge isn't a real solution to dwindling player numbers, its a response to the company's lack of confidence in being able to draw in new players. There's also a problem now of people who previous wanted to get away from players in those servers are now stuck with them or throw away everything they've invested to maybe keep away from those people until the next time they do a final merge into 1 server. While players will have to adapt to continue enjoying the game, this was an unnecessary change that was imposed on many players that did not want the merge to take place. They should've implemented server transfer only and let players choose if they want to migrate to a more populated server or to a less populated one. The choice now has also been taken away as we now only have 2 highly populated servers.

That could very well be but the dwindling player base may have been a result of the small servers, or rather too may of them. Apparently, the Korean servers have 20 channels; we never did. If we had then we might've only needed two servers all along, each with 20 channels. Such a set-up from day one might've kept the population sufficiently concentrated to have kept some folks from quitting.

Choosing between people who want to be away from other people and people who want to be near people is a zero-sum game. I suspect inclusion is the much more popular desire.

The biggest problem with Mabingoi is the same as it is for all games: they are funner for new to mid-level players, but not so much for highest-end players. Most of the folks that are jaded by Mabinogi now are these high-end players. You can see they've tried to make new content interesting for them, but then weak players complain that they are shut out until they are strong enough so for them there essentially is no new content. And when they make new content for the newer to mid-level players then the high-end player complain that it's not challenging and that they are still bored. Shadow missions attempted to address this by allowing freely chosen difficulty level, and what do active non-AFK/chatting high-end players do? Difficulty selectable content. But I digress.
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    If they decide to leave Alexina out of the merge, at least don’t break anything in Alexina. Still salty they also resetted guardian guild in Alexina
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium

That could very well be but the dwindling player base may have been a result of the small servers, or rather too may of them. Apparently, the Korean servers have 20 channels; we never did. If we had then we might've only needed two servers all along, each with 20 channels. Such a set-up from day one might've kept the population sufficiently concentrated to have kept some folks from quitting.

Choosing between people who want to be away from other people and people who want to be near people is a zero-sum game. I suspect inclusion is the much more popular desire.

The biggest problem with Mabingoi is the same as it is for all games: they are funner for new to mid-level players, but not so much for highest-end players. Most of the folks that are jaded by Mabinogi now are these high-end players. You can see they've tried to make new content interesting for them, but then weak players complain that they are shut out until they are strong enough so for them there essentially is no new content. And when they make new content for the newer to mid-level players then the high-end player complain that it's not challenging and that they are still bored. Shadow missions attempted to address this by allowing freely chosen difficulty level, and what do active non-AFK/chatting high-end players do? Difficulty selectable content. But I digress.

The thing with that is that we did have high populations in the past, it was for this exact reason that Alexina was created. Remember originally there was only 3 servers, Mari, Tarlach, and Ruairi. It was deemed necessary for the creation of a 4th server to handle the strain, which is why for years Alexina had the "new tag" on it which funneled all of the new players into it. Afterwards the lack of support, and horrible management of the game led to gradual decline. I'm not sure if you're played long enough to encounter this problem, but there was a point where the friend and guild list was broken for a full month. This led to several of my friends (new to the game) quiting because of lack of response from NX and other problems piling on top. But besides that, this doesn't change the fact that the merge was imposed on players that didn't want a merge, or at least those who didn't want to deal with the problems and potential fall out from the merge.
    Nishiki
  • lyldiesumlyldiesum
    Mabinogi Rep: 430
    ??? i see people all the time day and night. maybe you're just on the dead channels? idk i usually play on channel 1 or 3 and on both i always see people even in places that people typically don't spend time at like Tara (not including Shadow Mission area), Emain Macha, and even around Iria. obviously the more typical places like Dunby and Tir there's always plenty of people all around. only time i don't see nearly as many is around 10pm EST but even then it's still fairly populated and active. i've been on Tarlach before the server merge and i don't think i hardly saw anybody even on channel 1 in Dunby. maybe like 5 people at most anytime i was on there. the merge was simply to match Alexina's population since Tarlach, Ruairi, and Mari combined is just slightly higher. idk the merge JUST happened we'll see how it goes from this point on. i think it's for the better honestly
    Wolfenstin
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited June 6, 2019
    The thing with that is that we did have high populations in the past, it was for this exact reason that Alexina was created. Remember originally there was only 3 servers, Mari, Tarlach, and Ruairi. It was deemed necessary for the creation of a 4th server to handle the strain, which is why for years Alexina had the "new tag" on it which funneled all of the new players into it. Afterwards the lack of support, and horrible management of the game led to gradual decline. I'm not sure if you're played long enough to encounter this problem, but there was a point where the friend and guild list was broken for a full month. This led to several of my friends (new to the game) quiting because of lack of response from NX and other problems piling on top. But besides that, this doesn't change the fact that the merge was imposed on players that didn't want a merge, or at least those who didn't want to deal with the problems and potential fall out from the merge.

Since the Korean servers can handle 20 channels, instead of creating Alexina they could have just expanded the number of channels on each server. That would have made up the difference and divided the community less. Merging or not merging is a zero-sum situation, whatever the situation imposes on the other. Nexon chose a kind of time division multiplexing solution, non-mergers got the first 12 years, now it's our turn for the next 12.
    lyldiesum wrote: »
    ??? i see people all the time day and night. maybe you're just on the dead channels? idk i usually play on channel 1 or 3 and on both i always see people even in places that people typically don't spend time at like Tara (not including Shadow Mission area), Emain Macha, and even around Iria. obviously the more typical places like Dunby and Tir there's always plenty of people all around. only time i don't see nearly as many is around 10pm EST but even then it's still fairly populated and active. i've been on Tarlach before the server merge and i don't think i hardly saw anybody even on channel 1 in Dunby. maybe like 5 people at most anytime i was on there. the merge was simply to match Alexina's population since Tarlach, Ruairi, and Mari combined is just slightly higher. idk the merge JUST happened we'll see how it goes from this point on. i think it's for the better honestly

The population at the moment appears to be about 2.5x's Alexina. This high result is due to hype but I expect Nao to settle to about 63% of the active population.
    Pan
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175

The population at the moment appears to be about 2.5x's Alexina. This high result is due to hype but I expect Nao to settle to about 63% of the active population.

I'd expect it to settle in the 50s and dip into 40s during the busy seasons of "other" obligations.

But those prize spinners better get an increased limit(quadruple should be fair) to top tiers R3-1 pulls...
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium

Since the Korean servers can handle 20 channels, instead of creating Alexina they could have just expanded the number of channels on each server. That would have made up the difference and divided the community less. Merging or not merging is a zero-sum situation, whatever the situation imposes on the other. Nexon chose a kind of time division multiplexing solution, non-mergers got the first 12 years, now it's our turn for the next 12.

Korea also has better technology to run the game on, and the expectant population that could be supported is much higher. Further more Merging and not Merging is not a zero sum game, merging ends up as a loss because of damage players have taken from it. Character corruption, lost items, time recovering lost settings, etc. People have lost time they could've used to enjoy the game from just trying to get their issues sorted out by an occupied Nexon that's working on solving a multitude of other issues. The merge was damaging, and don't you dare think that it wasn't. Don't treat this as we lose some and gained some, we didn't increase the game's overall population, we gained NOTHING from this besides dumping people into a pit. We have lost things in exchange, things that some of us are still trying to find out what. We've lost time trying to get things back into order, NX has lost money from services being stopped due to glitches. As I've always stated, server transfer would have been a far better solution to this. Players that want to take the risk of a server change will be welcome to, while people that didn't want to could avoid the issue altogether. This would have been a far better compromise for both parties. Opponents of a merge could get out of a choice being imposed on them, and proponents could get the change they wanted.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    They should merge Korea with North America.
    Kitini
  • HelsaHelsa
    Further more Merging and not Merging is not a zero sum game,

It's a zero sum in terms of the desires of the two groups. Either a merge happens or it does not. Anyway, there are 10 channels now, one more hurdle cleared.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    If they can just add channels this easily, then i totally have zero clues as to why they didn't do a full server merge.

This is seriously pissing me off.
    Sakura2503Kitini
  • HelsaHelsa
    Greta wrote: »
    If they can just add channels this easily, then i totally have zero clues as to why they didn't do a full server merge.

I see 3 possibilities.
    1) They don't actually intend to do a full merge.
    2) They want to do it in two steps to limit damage if there are problems.
    3) They specifically hate you and me, Greta :)
    GretaSakura2503
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805

I see 3 possibilities.
    1) They don't actually intend to do a full merge.
    2) They want to do it in two steps to limit damage if there are problems.
    3) They specifically hate you and me, Greta :)

All of them are still not reasonable excuses. Lol. :')
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790

they didnt do a full server merge cus all 3 servers = the population size of alexina
    - thats the answer...

didnt even open up to feedback before making such a decision... theirs been years of feedback for a server merge. but 1 anonymous decision to leave alexina out of it... like alexina players werent giving feedback to merge as well, and stating their server was also dying...

now the precautions of doing a decision like this means automatically warranting the idea you thought of all the issues beforehand and that it didnt weigh the same consequinces as merging alexina with the remaining servers.
    consequences like: having to make a new character to go to alexina or nao and start all over from scratch, or waiting for server transfers which may or may not happen.(and even if they did happen, it would cost a lot on players to do so.) consequences like that dont weigh the same as "alexina already = same amount of the remaining servers"
    SpareohNishiki
  • SpareohSpareoh
    Mabinogi Rep: 780

I made a new character on Alexina last night and the only channels that seem crowded are 1 and 2. It was blissfully lag-free even if I lost access to my pets that I spent like $75 on
  • HoldHold
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,480
    At first I was a bit disappointed but after the last maint, it feels like Alexina is a bit more populated now than before. Maybe because its summer time but a few months ago, channel 1 Tir Chonaill and Dunbarton was empty as crap. I really don't mind our low population anymore, just means I can train on Tir foxes whenever I want and keep all the lovely foxes to myself.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Hold wrote: »
    At first I was a bit disappointed but after the last maint, it feels like Alexina is a bit more populated now than before. Maybe because its summer time but a few months ago, channel 1 Tir Chonaill and Dunbarton was empty as crap. I really don't mind our low population anymore, just means I can train on Tir foxes whenever I want and keep all the lovely foxes to myself.

I've always just abused the foxes east of Filia instead.
  • ValenmirValenmir
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,385
    Hold wrote: »

I've always just abused the foxes east of Filia instead.

Like this one?
    0WoYowX.gif
    Went onto Alexina and thats what i seen the moment i logged in.