Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the RE:Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/74016/re-life-patch-notes-april-28th-2022
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

About forums

Comments

  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    Posts: 664
    Member
    We need people who can sacrifice time, effort, and who is available the majority of the time. The current Mods are getting packed with things in real life to where they have no time for ridding the forum of bot spam.

    I say hire new people, who are regulars, and who follow the rules of the forums. These people obviously have time and understand the boundaries that shouldn't be crossed; let's use this as ammunition .-. I know one lady who would be an amazing choice even if she can be a tad sassy @Greta

    @TNinja

    @Sherri

    @Hardmuscle are also great choices. They may have different opinions and can be sassy, and they might not be liked by the minority, but they have been rather helpful to new players and old players alike. They're here on the daily, and can help a lot in the down hours. I say they're probably some of the best choices.
    GretaHardmuscleSherriLeilicia
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,145
    Posts: 1,167
    Member
    I don't think it would work for me. I've been forum banned once, and generally, anyone who's banned once are barred from being affiliated with NEXON. Except as a consumer. There's no discrimination as a consumer. Privileged life.
    Ataraxiz wrote: »
    We need people who can sacrifice time, effort, and who is available the majority of the time. The current Mods are getting packed with things in real life to where they have no time for ridding the forum of bot spam.

    I say hire new people, who are regulars, and who follow the rules of the forums. These people obviously have time and understand the boundaries that shouldn't be crossed; let's use this as ammunition .-. I know one lady who would be an amazing choice even if she can be a tad sassy @Greta

    @TNinja

    @Sherri

    @Hardmuscle are also great choices. They may have different opinions and can be sassy, and they might not be liked by the minority, but they have been rather helpful to new players and old players alike. They're here on the daily, and can help a lot in the down hours. I say they're probably some of the best choices.

    Everyone mentioned except me liked that post. I'm a rebel. :^)
  • MissFortuneMissFortune
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,530
    Posts: 349
    Member
    Tbh, it's not that we're bogged with things irl. The addition of the bots m
    Ataraxiz wrote: »
    We need people who can sacrifice time, effort, and who is available the majority of the time. The current Mods are getting packed with things in real life to where they have no time for ridding the forum of bot spam.

    Spambots are an anomaly. While I'd be thrilled with an addition to the team, it definitely shouldn't be because of the spambots, in my opinion. It's also a bit unfair to say that we're getting packed with things irl so we have no time. We put as much time as possible. But, we are human and spam bots are not.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,035
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited September 3, 2017
    Tbh, it's not that we're bogged with things irl. The addition of the bots m
    Ataraxiz wrote: »
    We need people who can sacrifice time, effort, and who is available the majority of the time. The current Mods are getting packed with things in real life to where they have no time for ridding the forum of bot spam.

    Spambots are an anomaly. While I'd be thrilled with an addition to the team, it definitely shouldn't be because of the spambots, in my opinion. It's also a bit unfair to say that we're getting packed with things irl so we have no time. We put as much time as possible. But, we are human and spam bots are not.
    While spam bots are definitely an anomaly, they are in fact human. I had communication with one of them in a private message last week and they are not only human, they spoke English. If someone with a little more access to certain "tools" on the server-side actually spent the time required (IP Trace); they could probably figure out who exactly (which disgruntled player/forum user) is responsible for them.
    Note for the incoming nerds bound to attempt an explanation of proxies: */nexon.net/* blocks (auto-bans) proxy connections (Tor, Aol, etc.).

  • JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,300
    Posts: 499
    Member
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Note for the incoming nerds bound to attempt an explanation of proxies: */nexon.net/* blocks (auto-bans) proxy connections (Tor, Aol, etc.).
    I've not tried Tor or Aol, but proxies I've used seem to all work fine without any issues.
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    Posts: 251
    Member
    jjeremy wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Note for the incoming nerds bound to attempt an explanation of proxies: */nexon.net/* blocks (auto-bans) proxy connections (Tor, Aol, etc.).
    I've not tried Tor or Aol, but proxies I've used seem to all work fine without any issues.

    That is not going to work, you cant fight IP block with IP random, every forum i know always has these and all fail to block the correct IP because people use different IPs.
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,020
    Posts: 139
    Member
    Ataraxiz wrote: »
    let's use this as ammunition .-. I know one lady who would be an amazing choice even if she can be a tad sassy @Greta

    Might as well make watercat a VFM too while we're at it.
    Hardmuscle
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,035
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited September 3, 2017
    jjeremy wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Note for the incoming nerds bound to attempt an explanation of proxies: */nexon.net/* blocks (auto-bans) proxy connections (Tor, Aol, etc.).
    I've not tried Tor or Aol, but proxies I've used seem to all work fine without any issues.
    The point in my saying that was to imply the spammer likely isn't using a proxy (connections to the site, not the game; Tor nodes are blocked by hundreds of thousands of sites, not just Nexon; and I learned of Aol on accident,.. It was an unpleasant surprise and was easily corrected after; Aol has a "Make me invisible" option). Admitting to use of one is not very brilliant either, as they violate the terms and open the door to multi-client play, but that's a whole entirely different topic. ~ All I was saying is it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who's behind the bots.
    watercat0 wrote: »
    That is not going to work, you cant fight IP block with IP random, every forum i know always has these and all fail to block the correct IP because people use different IPs.
    There are only two possible ways for you to know that, and while it's true to say a majority of people are not using a static IP, they're not very likely to shuffle ISPs more than once every couple of years either. This means if they connect with sbcglobal from "Texas" ("something well known"), filing a complaint against them, or taking legal action, would be a piece of cake.

  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Posts: 797
    Member
    Liberate wrote: »

    Might as well make watercat a VFM too while we're at it.

    9dnGeIh.png
    HardmuscleSebastian
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    Posts: 251
    Member
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    jjeremy wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Note for the incoming nerds bound to attempt an explanation of proxies: */nexon.net/* blocks (auto-bans) proxy connections (Tor, Aol, etc.).
    I've not tried Tor or Aol, but proxies I've used seem to all work fine without any issues.
    The point in my saying that was to imply the spammer likely isn't using a proxy (connections to the site, not the game; Tor nodes are blocked by hundreds of thousands of sites, not just Nexon; and I learned of Aol on accident,.. It was an unpleasant surprise and was easily corrected after; Aol has a "Make me invisible" option). Admitting to use of one is not very brilliant either, as they violate the terms and open the door to multi-client play, but that's a whole entirely different topic. ~ All I was saying is it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who's behind the bots.
    watercat0 wrote: »
    That is not going to work, you cant fight IP block with IP random, every forum i know always has these and all fail to block the correct IP because people use different IPs.
    There are only two possible ways for you to know that, and while it's true to say a majority of people are not using a static IP, they're not very likely to shuffle ISPs more than once every couple of years either. This means if they connect with sbcglobal from "Texas" ("something well known"), filing a complaint against them, or taking legal action, would be a piece of cake.

    Are you sure that Nexon will even bother suing a company for doing something a forum is doing bad at. Just claiming that its the company fault isn't going to work at all when everyone knows its nexon doing all the code on vanilla forums not anyone else. they will never do it, too risky and waste of money.

    This is why i said IP blocking isnt going to work.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,035
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited September 3, 2017
    watercat0 wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    jjeremy wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Note for the incoming nerds bound to attempt an explanation of proxies: */nexon.net/* blocks (auto-bans) proxy connections (Tor, Aol, etc.).
    I've not tried Tor or Aol, but proxies I've used seem to all work fine without any issues.
    The point in my saying that was to imply the spammer likely isn't using a proxy (connections to the site, not the game; Tor nodes are blocked by hundreds of thousands of sites, not just Nexon; and I learned of Aol on accident,.. It was an unpleasant surprise and was easily corrected after; Aol has a "Make me invisible" option). Admitting to use of one is not very brilliant either, as they violate the terms and open the door to multi-client play, but that's a whole entirely different topic. ~ All I was saying is it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who's behind the bots.
    watercat0 wrote: »
    That is not going to work, you cant fight IP block with IP random, every forum i know always has these and all fail to block the correct IP because people use different IPs.
    There are only two possible ways for you to know that, and while it's true to say a majority of people are not using a static IP, they're not very likely to shuffle ISPs more than once every couple of years either. This means if they connect with sbcglobal from "Texas" ("something well known"), filing a complaint against them, or taking legal action, would be a piece of cake.

    Are you sure that Nexon will even bother suing a company for doing something a forum is doing bad at. Just claiming that its the company fault isn't going to work at all when everyone knows its nexon doing all the code on vanilla forums not anyone else. they will never do it, too risky and waste of money.

    This is why i said IP blocking isnt going to work.
    You're asking me whether or not the company would or could sue for something like this? I don't know if they would, because I don't fall for traps like that (I don't work for Nexon; how the hell would I know?), but I do know they could. ~ It all depends on the amount of damage they accrued in dollars. They could (for example) claim to have lost a healthy 7 figure sum of money and go full force after their target for payout.

    There's literally nothing in the law to stop them. If they threatened to sue AT&T for say, half a million. -- You better believe it... AT&T will turn the whole deal over to them in a heart beat .. they won't cover a bot to lose their ass like that.

    Buffalos
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,035
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited September 5, 2017
     
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,245
    Posts: 440
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    I think we can all stop with the accusations of who's doing what, or thinking that nothing will be done or hasn't been thought about.

    As annoying as the spam is, it will only be a temporary thing, and what's most important is that it gets taken care of. It may not be exactly when it happens, but it still ends up removed.
    HardmuscleLiberateAtaraxiz
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,035
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    Aquasol wrote: »
    I think we can all stop with the accusations of who's doing what, or thinking that nothing will be done or hasn't been thought about.

    As annoying as the spam is, it will only be a temporary thing, and what's most important is that it gets taken care of. It may not be exactly when it happens, but it still ends up removed.
    You're right. ~ It's probably my imagination.....
    watercat0 wrote:
    we will just keep coming back

  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,755
    Posts: 6,972
    Member
    edited September 4, 2017
    7 pages of spam bot threads.

    cXdKI80.jpg

    And it's still going.
    Hardmuscle
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,035
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited September 5, 2017
     
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,145
    Posts: 1,167
    Member
    Did this thread get hidden?

    It's under "Town Square" but I can't find it in Town Square.
    Hardmuscle
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,035
    Posts: 2,554
    Member
    edited September 4, 2017
    TNinja wrote: »
    Did this thread get hidden?

    It's under "Town Square" but I can't find it in Town Square.
    It was merged with "About forums" :)

  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,145
    Posts: 1,167
    Member
    Ok, now that made sense.

    The notification I get still calls it "Seriously, 6 pages?"
    Hardmuscle
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,245
    Posts: 440
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Where were you to bark at people for calling moderators slaves? Oh that's right; you aren't one. Sweeping the problem under the carpet is not the proper way to deal with it. Just because they will eventually be erased does not mean they don't cause any damage. ~ Here and now.

    I can still advise and make suggestions; I'm not doing any moderating here but instead giving a personal opinion, because I don't like seeing threads devolve into fingerpointing and personal attacks. I'm also a bit more informed in regards to the spam because I've personally dealt with it, much as with the Mabi VFMs here.

    I'm saying that while I know that the spambots are annoying, the VFMs are doing what they can to clean things up on top of other duties. People taking things out on them isn't going to help any.