Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Potion Revamp

ResoluteResolute
Mabinogi Rep: 310
in Feedback and Suggestions
Current Potion system was designed for players around 1/3 of our max resources, 500-600 hp/mp/stam typically. Now, when you get 1.5-1.6k in a resource, it hits 0, or worse deadly, and you have to recover,you're gonna be either pot poisoned if you do a full recovery using normal pots, or you're gonna quit using pots before 100% recovery/using alternate healing methods, to alleviate the stress from potion posoning.

I feel the entire potion system, including possibly potion making, should be redone to accommodate the power creep. I think a simple step towards this, would be simply making pots 1000% more efficient. So a 10 pot becomes 100, a 100 becomes 1,000. Personally i'd prefer a bit more from the max potion, but that's just a rough example.

Continuing my train of thought, i just feel like the current pots are useful for beginners, but when you get more resources, and better yet skills, they're a waste of both time and inv space. Life drain, inspiration, fantastic chorus, enduring melody, respite, shield of trust, aoe pet, and even mana shield at times. There's multiple ways to recover or mitigate the impact on your resources, and the stronger you get the more use you will have for many of these methods or the less stress you'll feel with prolonged skill usage.

Recipes could remain basically the same via pot making, if you're to assume the example method were implemented. So a base herb+bloody herb would yield a hp 500 pot, instead of a 50. Same recipe, but that would be the pot after the update. Again, rough example, not wrote in stone.

And of course, the potion poisoning would need to follow suit. I lost at what point the original potion poisoning was intended to kick in. As originally you would recover several times, fully, before seeing it. And due to the fact that it would be rare to be repeatedly one shot to deadly, within a span of 20-30 seconds, that means you're going to be slowly recovering from the side effects of the potions, as you play, making the whole process much more drawn out than it is now.

Comments

• THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    I've often tried to work out how potions work logically, and usually by the end I'm just left wondering two things: 1) What happens when we combine potions of different strengths, like a 30 potion and a 100? and 2) Where do the potion containers come from? (I guess the same place enchant scroll paper comes from.)

As for your suggestion, I think we should remove the 10 potions altogether and settle on 30 as the smallest size. My preferred potion sizes are: 30, 150, 500, 2000, 18000
    YangKoete
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Id like the Pots of 500s pls

And with a grade system into created pots too!~ to reduce pot poisoning gain~
  • SlugFillerSlugFiller
    Mabinogi Rep: 490
    A simpler system that is used in many other games is to have recovery items be % based instead of absolute. So instead of HP30, you'd have HP5%. That way, leveling up won't feel like a power down in terms of potions.
    We already have skills that do this (Inspiration), and worse yet, enemies that do the opposite (Girgashiy). So it would be both consistent, and fair.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Resolute wrote: »
    I think a simple step towards this, would be simply making pots 1000% more efficient. So a 10 pot becomes 100, a 100 becomes 1,000.

If you multiply the effect of all potions by 10, then they are 900% more effective.
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    edited August 18, 2018
    I say we keep 10's for training's sake for Potion Lore and newbies, but we can use bigger sizes.

10, 30, 50, 100, 300...then 500, 1,000.