Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the May Quality of Life Updates! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91455/may-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-may-9th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

So long Mabination!

Comments

• PectylPectyl
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,715
    edited August 27, 2018
    Gaea wrote: »
    Pectyl wrote: »
    Well that's your misguided opinion. You might of worded that wrong, but we have a lot of new and returning players who have joined the discord channel. I can assure you of that.

Why is my opinion misguided? what did i word wrong? you use a lot of "catchy" words but backs none of it up with anything, what would removing the wiki solve? what issue is the wiki creating? you have answered none of this though this whole conversation, yet you keep claiming that by somehow removing the wiki something would change or at least be affected for the better, however you haven't told us what that might be.

I never claimed that. You assumed that. I am just stating the original intention of the game was for exploration and discovery. I do still use the wiki on occasion for certain things. Even if the wiki was the shut down - it would NOT be the end of this game.

But you didn't try to claim otherwise until i questioned your motive, again, there is no reason whatsoever to remove the wiki at all, if you avoid it for personal reasons feel free to do so, but don't take something that important away from everyone else just because you have years of experience with this game, not all of us wish to run around trying to figure things out, that may have been the basis for this game when it first released over a decade ago, but that's definitely not the case anymore with how the game has changed and the massive amounts of content added since then.

My doomsday prediction may have been exaggerated, but removing the wiki is definitely one step in that direction.

Also no i do not doubt this community, but that has pretty much nothing to do with removing the wiki or not, please don't answer comments directed at me, i am capable of doing that myself thank you.

I also like to make it clear that i mean no harm, if i provoked someone, i am sorry.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Any end to the game will involve Ferghus.
    I'm not sure if wiki ending will mark the end of or even the decline of the game that would lead to its end though.
    Wiki is a useful guide, but in the ever changing digital world, people can easily replace it if needed.
  • PectylPectyl
    I'm not sure if wiki ending will mark the end of or even the decline of the game that would lead to its end though.
    Wiki is a useful guide, but in the ever changing digital world, people can easily replace it if needed.

Are you saying that Fergus was behind the shutdown of Mabination?

It's possible.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    edited August 27, 2018
    Well that's your misguided opinion. You might of worded that wrong, but we have a lot of new and returning players who have joined the discord channel. I can assure you of that.

Why is my opinion misguided? what did i word wrong? you use a lot of "catchy" words but backs none of it up with anything, what would removing the wiki solve? what issue is the wiki creating? you have answered none of this though this whole conversation, yet you keep claiming that by somehow removing the wiki something would change or at least be affected for the better, however you haven't told us what that might be.

I never claimed that. You assumed that. I am just stating the original intention of the game was for exploration and discovery. I do still use the wiki on occasion for certain things. Even if the wiki was the shut down - it would NOT be the end of this game.

But you didn't try to claim otherwise until i questioned your motive, again, there is no reason whatsoever to remove the wiki at all, if you avoid it for personal reasons feel free to do so, but don't take something that important away from everyone else just because you have years of experience with this game, not all of us wish to run around trying to figure things out, that may have been the basis for this game when it first released over a decade ago, but that's definitely not the case anymore with how the game has changed and the massive amounts of content added since then.

My doomsday prediction may have been exaggerated, but removing the wiki is definitely one step in that direction.

Also no i do not doubt this community, but that has pretty much nothing to do with removing the wiki or not, please don't answer comments directed at me, i am capable of doing that myself thank you.

I also like to make it clear that i mean no harm, if i provoked someone, i am sorry.

I
    do
    not
    want
    the
    wiki
    removed.

Also as a side note. I consolidated all of my bills and no longer donate 2 dollars a month to the wiki.

Um...yeah.
    VeylaineHelsa
  • PectylPectyl

It's possible.

• RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    If the wiki's gone...thats okay. Mabi's forum help section is still a thing. lel. o3o
    Jayy124Greta
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Xypix wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure trying to figure out how to edit pages in the wiki is a NIGHTMARE...to simply edit a monster's info table you have to edit a separate page that has the template. After editing the already inconsistent template, trying to preview it is impossible because it just gives you a wall of text. It used to be the tables were directly on the pages themself, but I guess they decided to switch to embedding tables instead...it's really backwards in my opinion.

tl;dr the site doesn't seem to be user friendly at all

I wish I had a list of users to contact, but I don't.
    Sorry, but anyone who can't get in contact with a Senpai will just have to rough it.
    All I have that could maybe help is a player made guide for other players on the Mabinogi Wiki.
    The link for that is here.
    (Even if the site I used for image hosting does system wide wipes, and those go away over time.)
  • TheOthicTheOthic
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,525
    edited August 29, 2018
    Pan wrote: »
    Mabinogi Wiki should shut down as well seeing how much it lacks in being maintained and updated. Comparing the wiki now and back then, we're seeing a lot of missing things that continue to be missing for months. The information provided just is not holding up anymore like it used to be. With new sites such as mabibase and discord groups to pull information from foreign servers, there really is not a need for the wiki anymore. Same could also be said for Nexon's Mabinogi forum itself. May as well cut the cord and shut the whole game down.

Ill say first mabibase is amazing when it comes to items/enchants vs the wiki, but thats it. I see no guides no quest layouts and no skill analysis.

I can't tell if you're disingenuous troll or forgot that early-to-mid game players exist.
    Pan wrote: »
    ...May as well cut the cord and shut the whole game down.
    OH wait don't tell me, I know.

I know its far from perfect but going the nuclear option is usually NOT a good idea, sure we will survive but you'll inconvenience a lot of players without a proper replacement at the ready.
    Hey, imagine if they incorporated mabibase into the actual game, in like a window or text command? dang, my wiki visits would be cut down by 80%.
    Again its nice and all for JUST items/enchants and maybe egos, with the advent of AH housing lost some traffic so its meh at best now.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do not see any quest-line walkthroughs, or tips for training skills or laying out skills multipliers (ie smash 2h smash bonus,WC and FireBolt max charge bonus,or how crash shots 2nd shot on the initial target becomes stronger with more fragments released),because the game will either do a bad job of telling you or just not give the specifics the duration for sand burst, or how to beat g11 cooking dungeon or an easier way to learn meteor or LR if you're F2P and missed a free Merlin rb.

Oh lets not forget reforge values, yes maybe im stupid but I see no data on mabibase for what each reforge does, sure some players would like to know what or how good the reforge they're gunning for before they attempt it. I know that it does not have every value but at least it has most, which is a lot better than being left in the dark. I can go on but I think I made my point.

Imaizumi
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Oddly enough in order to make up for their lack of a quality wiki, the KR mabi's travel guide works as an in-game wiki, letting you search up items and where one could obtain them, a guide to enchants as well and other useful information. Only they one-up us in that department, the devs will update their travel guide as the update hits, so they have the most up to date info and it is always accurate.
  • Davinator61Davinator61
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
    Since the game engine to Mabinogi is "outdated" and more than a decade old(2003-4 in Korea), why not update the game engine itself, instead of tossing it out the window in favor of a new set of bells and whistles? If an old junker-mobile of a car can be given new life as a resto-mod, why not do the same for the game engine used by Mabinogi. The devs did this around 8-9 years ago for Mabinogi NA. Why should they not do it again? Difficult as it may sound, it's not TOO difficult to do, for the better coders out there, especially for the right price. Of course, I'm speaking from the standpoint of a hot-rod enthusiast, so mileage may vary. Just my 2-cents worth...
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Oddly enough in order to make up for their lack of a quality wiki, the KR mabi's travel guide works as an in-game wiki, letting you search up items and where one could obtain them, a guide to enchants as well and other useful information. Only they one-up us in that department, the devs will update their travel guide as the update hits, so they have the most up to date info and it is always accurate.

Yeah...our traveler's guide needs to be WAY more comprehensive. Maybe that's something the staff are working on?

-coughs-
    Helsa
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125

Yeah...our traveler's guide needs to be WAY more comprehensive. Maybe that's something the staff are working on?

-coughs-

I'm gonna be straight laced with you, from what I've seen in KR streams, our travel guide is only about 5% what their's can do. If they manage to actually bring the full travel guide's abilities to NA, this would effectively harpoon our wiki (which is already dying). While I want to believe that they're gonna give us the full version, I honestly don't see it happening, there's a lot of stuff to translate and I really don't see NA investing that much resources into translating and maintaining it.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn

-coughs-

I'm gonna be straight laced with you, from what I've seen in KR streams, our travel guide is only about 5% what their's can do. If they manage to actually bring the full travel guide's abilities to NA, this would effectively harpoon our wiki (which is already dying). While I want to believe that they're gonna give us the full version, I honestly don't see it happening, there's a lot of stuff to translate and I really don't see NA investing that much resources into translating and maintaining it.

Well they surprised us before with commas...but yeah too much of a huge undertaking. Instead we get "who is the" master of combat.

-flops-
    Helsa
  • ImaizumiImaizumi
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,225
    Mabi wiki is an amazing resource even if it is not all comprehensive or updated to perfection. Why would we ever even suggest that we want it gone?
    Imaizumi wrote: »
    Mabi wiki is an amazing resource even if it is not all comprehensive or updated to perfection. Why would we ever even suggest that we want it gone?

It's just a way of speaking for some.