Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

New Talent: Dealer

GTCvActiumGTCvActium
Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
edited August 30, 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions
After hearing about the cross over of Card Captor Sakura I started to have an idea on a talent based around cards. Here's a brief description of my idea.

The Dealer controls magic through the use of cards, using their incredible intelligence and luck they call forth magic sealed in cards for devastating effect.

Technical details: Dealer scales its damage from Intelligence and Luck and uses the weapon "Deck of Cards" as their main weapon. Nearly every skill in the talent is customizable through obtaining cards scattered throughout Erinn to suit the Dealer's play style and preferences. Cards are broken up in 2 categories, primary, and secondary. Primary cards can be used by themselves and have an immediate effect that is independent of other cards. Secondary cards are used to enhance and further the abilities of primary cards, and must be used with a primary card. Primary cards are also further categorized into different skills used by the talent. Secondary cards may be used with any primary, or locked to a specific category.

Deck Mastery: This skill increases the efficiency when using magic cards, reducing their MP usage and cool down and increasing the effects of the cards. Higher ranks allow you to use more secondary cards with your primary cards. At rank 1, up to 5 secondary cards can be installed on any primary card.

Strike: Cards that can be placed in this skill are high damage single target attacks. Higher ranks increase this skill's damage multiplier. At rank 1 the multiplier is 500%.

Area Strike: Cards that be placed in this skill are skills that attack an area but have lower damage than a strike card. Higher ranks increase the skill's damage multiplier, at rank 1 it is 250%.

Defense: Cards that can be placed into this skill are defensive in nature such as setting up barriers, force fields, or fortifications. Higher ranks increase the card's effects, at rank 1 the a card will receive 100% bonus to its effect.

Summon: Cards that can be placed in this skill summon a creature to assist you in fighting. Higher ranks increase the stats of the creature summoned. At rank 1 the stats are increased by 100%

Enhance: Card that can be placed in this skill can be used to enhance the user and their party in some form, adding more damage, defenses, speed, etc. At rank 1 the effects are increased by 20%.

Card Throw: The user throws a card at an enemy causing moderate damage by stunning them with a chance of locking their magic and alchemy for 10 seconds.

Card Storm: The use creates a storm with their card swirling around causing damage and confusing enemies caught in it and making them lose their attention on the user.

Each card, on top of having a specific stat, also comes with a cost modifier. Each card has its own MP cost as well as a cool down. Secondary cards when installed modify these qualities. For example, a card "magic arrow" has an MP cost of 10, a cool down of 2 seconds, and 100 Damage. A card called "Increased power" has the effect of "+20% damage", "+4 seconds CD" and "cost 2x", installing "increased power" to "magic arrow" will modify the effect to be 120 damage, 20MP, and cool down for 6 seconds. There will be cards where their specific purposes are to reduce costs and cool down.

The damage formula for this skill set is as follows Damage = (Card Damage + Player Damage) * (1 + Modifier).

Some cards:
Primary:
Magic Arrow - 100 damage, 10 MP, 2 sec CD, strike
Mjolnir - 800 damage, 50 MP, 6 sec CD, strike

Air Burst - 50 damage, 10 MP, 4 sec CD, Area Strike
Volcano Eruption - 500 damage, 80MP, 15 sec CD, Area strike

Barrier - Nulls 200 damage, 100MP, 30 secs CD, defense
Divine Aura - Prevents damage to HP for attack weaker than 400 damage, 400 MP, 3 min CD, 2 min duration, defense

Wolf - Summons a wolf to fight for you, 600 HP, 50-100 damage, basic combat skills. 6 Min summon time. 50MP, 1min CD, summon
Heroic Spirit - Summons a warrior from another time, 2000 HP, 400-600 damage, all combat skills, and int magic with chain cast enabled. 6 Min summon time, 600 MP, 6Min CD, summon.

Cheerful - Increases the the defensive stats of all nearby party members by 20%. 2min duration 20MP, no CD, enhance.
Divine Morale - Increases the damage by 30% and increasing attack/charging speed by 20%. 2min duration, 60MP, 20 sec CD Enhance.

Secondary:
Increased Power - Usable only on offensive cards, damage +20%, cost x2, +4 sec CD.
Reinforcement - Usable by all skills, card effects +10%, MP x2, CD x2.
Fortifications - Usable by Defense card, effect +40%, cost x3, +50 sec CD.
No time at all - Usable by any card, reduce CD by 50%
The Rich get Richer - Usable by any card, reduce MP costs by 50%

That's my idea. What do you guys think?
IAAWMizukiHayamaJazmynSplatulatedSherriGremmTHICCthighssavelivesAlexLight

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Definitely interesting.
    I have yet to read it completely yet,
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Oh.. my.. goodness! This is an amazing idea, I really hope it's looked at by the staff!

Not to mention I could make a good cosplay of Gambler Ranco from Valkyrie Connect aaaa >3<
  • GremmGremm
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,840
    I really like this idea, you have my support +1
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    I play a MUD called Achaea that has a Jester class that throws tarot cards around, each card having it's own power or utility. The Sun card illuminates the room, Magician replenishes mana, Empress summons another player to your location, Hermit card creates a teleport point to return to, and so on.

Will the cards be based on a tarot deck, the 52 cards of a poker deck, or something else? If the cards are mabi-custom, we can have a card for every monster, NPC, location, force of nature, and more. It would be like having a trading card game within mabi.

As for your suggestion, I think it would be neat if most of your skills chose a random card (or cards) from your carefully built deck. Why random? I think the heavy emphasis on randomness PLUS customization would help further differentiate the dealer talent and make it unique, instead of being just another theme-swap of existing talents (gunslinger, chain, ninja).
    Gremm
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    I play a MUD called Achaea that has a Jester class that throws tarot cards around, each card having it's own power or utility. The Sun card illuminates the room, Magician replenishes mana, Empress summons another player to your location, Hermit card creates a teleport point to return to, and so on.

Will the cards be based on a tarot deck, the 52 cards of a poker deck, or something else? If the cards are mabi-custom, we can have a card for every monster, NPC, location, force of nature, and more. It would be like having a trading card game within mabi.

As for your suggestion, I think it would be neat if most of your skills chose a random card (or cards) from your carefully built deck. Why random? I think the heavy emphasis on randomness PLUS customization would help further differentiate the dealer talent and make it unique, instead of being just another theme-swap of existing talents (gunslinger, chain, ninja).

I have actually thought about a system where there is a random element about the system but then Mabi's RNG left a bad taste so I went with something that's more... Reliable so to speak but can be customized to the player's exact preference. As for what the cards will be, my idea is that there are cards styled after various things in Erinn and even some outside context themes. Like some of the Area strikes are boss attacks like Grim Reaper Windmill. Also, on the topic of cards, the weapon item "Deck of Cards" won't actually have much variations, maybe about 3 types built for damage, crit, and balance (I know this is useless, but it WILL be there). You can then build specific decks and when you equip the Deck, your skills will use the Deck's card configuration for the skills so you can swap out different builds depending on your equipped Deck.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    A fancy name for the talent might be Croupier. Although a Croupier is not strictly a card dealer.
  • HigaHiga
    Mabinogi Rep: 810
    So much for celtic mythology.

There should honestly be a spear class or something way before something like a ninja or gunner class, let alone a person who throws cards around.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Higa wrote: »

There should honestly be a spear class or something way before something like a ninja or gunner class, let alone a person who throws cards around.

We have a talent that basically uses a mobile chemistry lab, a puppeteer, ninjas, gunslingers, and blades attached to a chain. At this point ANYTHING is fair game. Oh not to mention we literally have a skill were you throw gold at something to do damage. We have a SKILL that THROWS GOLD at an enemy. We can LITERALLY kill something by throwing MONEY at it.
    GremmJazmyn
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

And don't make javelins for giant only.
    GremmTHICCthighssavelives
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615

Um.. what?
    This could be tied to Celtic myth, at least better than ninja, gunner, etc.
    I mean come on, the stuff coming out lately in classes hasn't really been Celtic lore friendly, besides chain blade. I think.
    Cards have to deal a lot with luck. luck of the Irish?
    I'm sure they gotta have some sort of Celtic god/goddess of luck.
    Gremm
  • PierozekPierozek
    Mabinogi Rep: 315
    edited September 1, 2018
    Much of stuff in this game wasn't all that Celtic in the first place. Asian culture has a very specific view on Western culture. Just like western people find Asian culture being all about kimonos, ninjas, samurais, bento, j/k pop, sushi and anime. If there are gunslingers and puppets then why not cards. Although the word "dealer" is highly associated with something kinda illegal ;) I'd change it to something else. Other than that seems to be fun thing, not really my piece of cake, but I'm sure it might be fun. Also the description makes it sound like OP talent ;) I mean it has nearly all good aspects of other talents.
    Edit: maybe a trading card game system? Like a mini game similar to Final Fantasy ones?
  • GremmGremm

You think that they didnt have any card games or dealers back then? Just because theyre not in the myths and legends doesnt mean that theyve never existed. :p
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    GTCvActium wrote: »

We have a talent that basically uses a mobile chemistry lab, a puppeteer, ninjas, gunslingers, and blades attached to a chain. At this point ANYTHING is fair game. Oh not to mention we literally have a skill were you throw gold at something to do damage. We have a SKILL that THROWS GOLD at an enemy. We can LITERALLY kill something by throwing MONEY at it.

But like... we have scooters.... I mean; those are Celtic mythology right? Sarcasm here. <<
    edited September 21, 2018
    How about we make our own cards through the sketch action? We could sketch monsters, npcs, artifacts, locations, scenery, actions in progress. Cards could still drop from monsters and chests.
    Sherri
  • GremmGremm
    How about we make our own cards through the sketch action? We could sketch monsters, npcs, artifacts, locations, scenery, actions in progress. Cards could still drop from monsters and chests.

That could get messy and create many unique cards in the game and that would be hard in PvP and other instances, but we could have a design contest where the most voted-on cards get implemented into the game. :)
  • TakunshoTakunsho
    Mabinogi Rep: 660
    I like the idea, but knowing them, they would make it based on that horrible card duel game that came out on mobile. I agree that it should be based on Tarot (like in Achaea/Aetolia) or gambling. Technically Card Captor Sakura is based on Tarot as well though they used more kid friendly names.
    Gremm wrote: »

That could get messy and create many unique cards in the game and that would be hard in PvP and other instances, but we could have a design contest where the most voted-on cards get implemented into the game. :)

I was thinking that any sketch of a subject can be used to craft a non-unique card of that subject. Or take out the sketch paper from the process to simplify it: Sketch directly onto a blank card and it becomes a non-unique card.