Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Race Changes When?

AuniroAuniro
Mabinogi Rep: 405
in General Chat
The addition of darler skinned elfs now makes me not want to play my Human any longer. Only reason i didn't play elf was due to lack of human like customization.
Alshian

Comments

• AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    I was happy that its 4 days away to be a dark elf, the hype!
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited December 2, 2018
    Well if Korea doesn't have it we won't since it'd be a pain to program?
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    It's kinda why I continue to stick with my elf for a while despite the fact that I hate having pale skintone because I knew they'd eventually give us the options to have dark skintone.

I hope we'll have the ability to change our race via rebirth eventually but like what @Leinei said, it may be difficult to program/code in the race change via rebirth or whatever due to race-specific skills, etc.
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    Cosmetic feature or a character you have worked on and put time/effort into. That is your option.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Leinei wrote: »

It would not, in fact, it'd be a snap. The delay is most likely due to the fact the some folks have expressed opposition to it. So, Nexon has had to weigh how many are happy subtract how many are upset and decide whether to proceed or not. It seems like a silly thing but everything effects the bottom line to some extent. When it comes to the bottom line all corporations are inherently conservative and cautious. If we are now getting dark skinned elves then Nexon has determined that happy minus upset comes out as a net gain.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Helsa wrote: »

It would not, in fact, it'd be a snap.

NA doesn't have their own development team for Mabinogi. We basically have to follow most of what Korea does in terms of major content changes, and race change wouldn't be nearly as simple as same-sex marriage was for the game. As it stands currently, I don't think there's a system in the skill window that prevents you from using a race exclusive skill: you just can't learn that race exclusive skill. That would have to be a fundamental thing for race-change to be a fair system.
    Leinei
  • nevyn25nevyn25
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,135
    I feel a new monthly thread coming up. after server merges, dark skinned elves and name changes we now have...
    *insert drumroll here*
    race change
    BuffalospawcalypseZeoImaizumioffwithyourheadsRadiant DawnVeylaineCrimsọn
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    >Finally get something y'all have waited ages for
    >y'all: "let's start asking for even more stuff now!"

/thonk
    VaughanKageitoLaticijaoffwithyourheadsVeylaine
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    nevyn25 wrote: »
    I feel a new monthly thread coming up. after server merges, dark skinned elves and name changes we now have...
    *insert drumroll here*
    race change

Whereas allowing for dark skin for elves would be really REALLY easy to implement. Race change at rebirth is more work, but hardly insurmountable. To be able to change race as freely as you can with gender, you'd have to do the following first:
    1) End the racial ally system.
    2) Allow for elf/giant marriage
    3) Allow for free choice of the three venues for having your marriage.
    The point of these is to prevent problems should you rebirth in such a way as to break them. The third one isn't directly necessary but is necessary to allow elf/giant marriage.

If these start happening you can bet your bottom dollar that its a bellwether heralding race change at rebirth.
    Zeo
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Implement it so you can acquire race specific skills via race change rbs but weapons are still race locked. Giant can't use bows, elves can't use lances, etc. Human can use the skills but are penalized with lower output, or each race gets a special bonus, giants have a higher str and will cap and have higher str and will growth potential, elves get higher int and dex cap and potential, and humans don't get any bonuses besides having access to all weapon types. So elves can get access to FH, humans can nom on giant's WG, and giants can get mag and never use it.
    Zeo
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    I identify as a giant. I want to be able to have my identity reflected in my character. Race changes pls.
    THICCthighssavelives
  • RoxwellRoxwell
    Mabinogi Rep: 605
    Helsa wrote: »
    nevyn25 wrote: »
    *insert drumroll here*
    race change

Whereas allowing for dark skin for elves would be really REALLY easy to implement. Race change at rebirth is more work, but hardly insurmountable. To be able to change race as freely as you can with gender, you'd have to do the following first:
    1) End the racial ally system.
    2) Allow for elf/giant marriage
    3) Allow for free choice of the three venues for having your marriage.
    The point of these is to prevent problems should you rebirth in such a way as to break them. The third one isn't directly necessary but is necessary to allow elf/giant marriage.

If these start happening you can bet your bottom dollar that its a bellwether heralding race change at rebirth.

I wanna sit on my Gaint buddies shoulder already : c
    Zeo
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    Roxwell wrote: »
    I wanna sit on my Gaint buddies shoulder already : c

This along with being able to marry a giant. Those two players have been asking for some time now and I’d imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult to implement in!
  • starkiller1286starkiller1286
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    If they do such a thing I'd imagine Nexon would have "race change cards" for players like they do for pets.
  • YuoichiYuoichi
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,435

JP has that option
  • LeineiLeinei
    Yuoichi wrote: »

JP has that option

To program something like that? I dunno. That would require code to remove skills (and the resulting combat power and stats gained from them) that are race-specific if one was to change races and there's also the concept of creating the item that would allow it to be possible. Also, would the race change be one-way? Would you be able to change back? And if you could change back, would the race-specific skill ranks be able to be saved or would you have to re-rank them?

What has Japan programmed for Mabinogi?
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited December 6, 2018

JP has that option

We're not JP, though. Nor do we follow them. We follow KR.

JP has that option

To program something like that? I dunno. That would require code to remove skills (and the resulting combat power and stats gained from them) that are race-specific if one was to change races and there's also the concept of creating the item that would allow it to be possible. Also, would the race change be one-way? Would you be able to change back? And if you could change back, would the race-specific skill ranks be able to be saved or would you have to re-rank them?

What has Japan programmed for Mabinogi?

The only thing I see JP influencing is all the crap events known as "crossovers".

Also, on the point of race-specific skills, there's also transformation; especially when switching to human, how is Paladin v Dark Knight determined? (This could also be a way for humans who regret going Dark Knight can return to Paladin, if the choice of which of the two the player wants is given upon rebirthing to a human, regardless of the character's original race.)
    Veylaine
  • LeineiLeinei
    I thought that it was only crossover content, but I couldn't remember. Something in depth code wise would definitely have to be done by the Korea branch then.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Auniro wrote: »
    The addition of darler skinned elfs now makes me not want to play my Human any longer. Only reason i didn't play elf was due to lack of human like customization.

Throw away humanity and join the dark elves.
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Yes join us!~

We are faster, brighter, full of HTDs, and Highest of Dex for your spin slashering needs~