Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Something is going on at Nexon HQ from news

RoyRedRoyRed
Mabinogi Rep: 2,140
edited January 4, 2019 in Town Square
oBNmAN7.png
What you all had to say about this, I don't want the memories to go away that early that I make for over 9 years of this MMO or even the companies of South Korea, China, Japan, Taiwan&the U.S servers alike to crumble this much sorrow that we all enjoy ourselves over the years that we started so now, what's gonna happen in the future of the company?
P.S: Don't ask me where do I find the source at, so just leave your theories to yourself.

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Yes, I believe there is a brief discussion on another thread.
    Nexon founder doesn't plan to pass down the company to his kids (wise choice).

It will be interesting on who wants to take the bid. The above mentioned parties are all giants.
    Netmarble, Kaokao, and Tencent are definitely the big contenders, while I think EA is on the outside looking in if interested.

But it will also depend on if they're planning to sell each Nexon asset separately or collectively.

The trouble with collected sales is you get into monopoly or anti-trust issues (for example the sales of Fox assets last year to Disney backfired, and Disney was forced to resell some assets back into the market).

We'll see what happens.
    Darkpixie99
  • RoyRedRoyRed
    Yes, I believe there is a brief discussion on another thread.
    Nexon founder doesn't plan to pass down the company to his kids (wise choice).

It will be interesting on who wants to take the bid. The above mentioned parties are all giants.
    Netmarble, Kaokao, and Tencent are definitely the big contenders, while I think EA is on the outside looking in if interested.

But it will also depend on if they're planning to sell each Nexon asset separately or collectively.

The trouble with collected sales is you get into monopoly or anti-trust issues (for example the sales of Fox assets last year to Disney backfired, and Disney was forced to resell some assets back into the market).

We'll see what happens.

Oh, this isn't the important forum I should post at? Then I guess I to wait until a forum admin or Nexon staffs to move my post to somewhere fitting then.
  • RajinsuRajinsu
    Mabinogi Rep: 435
    so does that mean if its sold off we would have to redownload the game under the new owners site and start all over agin?
  • RoyRedRoyRed
    Rajinsu wrote: »
    so does that mean if its sold off we would have to redownload the game under the new owners site and start all over agin?

Well let's say, I have no clue about if that's going happen...
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870

It would be in their best interest to secure the progress of the current playerbase. But the truth is we have no idea what's going to happen. It's wiser to wait and see rather than speculate, which would quickly devolve into FUD if left unchecked.
    Darkpixie99Wrenaissance
    We won't know what will happen until we know which bidders are in, who wins the bid, if the buyer(s) pass govt regulations of the purchase, and then its plans.
    Its a lot of complex things that normal consumers like us wont know unless your an investor in the company and have connections to the board of directors.

But you can always run background checks of the current potential list of buyers.

In my personal opinion, on the current list, Id like to see Netmarble take over. KaoKao and Tencent are too focused on the mobile market and too sprawled out in the social media market. Netmarble is mostly cored on gaming.

And I think everyone knows how EA runs things, I dont think theyll do a good job managing these games.

Of course in all purchases and mergers of public companies, there is a chance they will keep the current names and potentially staff as well. But as one should know, shakeups are very possible after takeover.

A positive after purchase may be that investors pour money in and they may be more dedicated and have better efforts to improve and make the game(s) more profitable.

Another question is if each asset/department is sold separately, what will happen with the developer (Devcat) and what will happen to each service department (Nexon NA).

A lot of uncertainty going forward, what we do want to know are gurantees which in this case, at this moment we are all watching.
    WolfsingerImaizumiDarkpixie99SherriKaaros
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    If I'm reading this correctly this guy owns 98.64% of the company?
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Helsa wrote: »

I mean he founded the company itself. It'd be natural for him to hold a massive majority of the company stock, but 98% sounds pretty high up there for that position.
    Kaaros
  • HelsaHelsa
    Buffalos wrote: »

I mean he founded the company itself. It'd be natural for him to hold a massive majority of the company stock, but 98% sounds pretty high up there for that position.

Definitely. Either Nexon had an IPO of 2%-ish, which seems really weird, or they've been doing massive stock buy backs over time.
    edited January 7, 2019
    Buffalos wrote: »

Definitely. Either Nexon had an IPO of 2%-ish, which seems really weird, or they've been doing massive stock buy backs over time.

Wasn't there a buy back and few years ago when the legal troubles began? Kinda crashed the price a bit.
    Sebastian wrote: »

It would be in their best interest to secure the progress of the current playerbase. But the truth is we have no idea what's going to happen. It's wiser to wait and see rather than speculate, which would quickly devolve into FUD if left unchecked.

The only way we would redownload is if whoever buys out, decides to fold operations of Nexon NA and switch it onto their own server, or if they bought out the server rights for the game.
  • HelsaHelsa

The only way we would redownload is if whoever buys out, decides to fold operations of Nexon NA and switch it onto their own server, or if they bought out the server rights for the game.

Having to manually re-download is unlikely. What's the point of buying Nexon? For their ground breaking technology? Doubtful. It's for their money making assets. That includes the servers hosting Mabinogi, the personal maintaining them, the building they are housed in, the IP addresses, and the website, to name a few. What this means is "Under New Management" won't mean anything unless the new owners decide that Mabinogi doesn't cover their opportunity cost and make their expected rate of return. So keep spam buying those gacha's boys and girls if you're worried about it. If a new owner say decides to swap out the Nexon logo for their own, then that will be done as part of a regular update.

At the end of the day I think everything will be fine. According to the story this guy owns 98% of the company, so what he did then was make the smallest possible IPO to create a public entity to shield himself from any potential litigation rather than continuing with a private company and remaining vulnerable. This kind of thing is normal in business. It's was just bad luck for him that the legal troubles he got into were ones that could be pinned to him rather than the company. He won that fight in court but since it was probably "South Korea vs Kim Jung-ju", first-world governments having VERY deep pockets for these kinds of things, it must've come at quite a cost, made clear when his legal team said "Congratulations, here's our bill." Likely he has to sell stock to pay his lawyers and who knows maybe it costs a ton to keep his wife in furs. The way the story is written implies he's selling it all, but that may not actually be true.
    Wolfsinger

Having to manually re-download is unlikely. What's the point of buying Nexon? For their ground breaking technology? Doubtful. It's for their money making assets. That includes the servers hosting Mabinogi, the personal maintaining them, the building they are housed in, the IP addresses, and the website, to name a few. What this means is "Under New Management" won't mean anything unless the new owners decide that Mabinogi doesn't cover their opportunity cost and make their expected rate of return. So keep spam buying those gacha's boys and girls if you're worried about it. If a new owner say decides to swap out the Nexon logo for their own, then that will be done as part of a regular update.

At the end of the day I think everything will be fine. According to the story this guy owns 98% of the company, so what he did then was make the smallest possible IPO to create a public entity to shield himself from any potential litigation rather than continuing with a private company and remaining vulnerable. This kind of thing is normal in business. It's was just bad luck for him that the legal troubles he got into were ones that could be pinned to him rather than the company. He won that fight in court but since it was probably "South Korea vs Kim Jung-ju", first-world governments having VERY deep pockets for these kinds of things, it must've come at quite a cost, made clear when his legal team said "Congratulations, here's our bill." Likely he has to sell stock to pay his lawyers and who knows maybe it costs a ton to keep his wife in furs. The way the story is written implies he's selling it all, but that may not actually be true.

What might happen, he sells his shares, remains at Nexon as an employee or consultant, resume normal operations. None to limited company mergers.

Was reading a couple articles and on TechCrunch, this was their report in November

"In its most recent financial report in November, Nexon made a net profit of 22.3 billion JPY ($206.5 million) on total revenue of 69.3 billion JPY ($641.7 million), that was up 14 percent and 15 percent year-on-year, respectively. Korea is the company’s biggest market by revenue, followed by North America, Japan and China."

Folks, we're a pretty important revenue source for em.
    From The South China Post

Could Tencent buy controlling stake in Nexon, the South Korean gaming giant that makes Dungeon & Fighter and MapleStory?

By Park Chan-kyong

* It remains to be seen whether Tencent will take the plunge, given China’s gaming industry has been hammered over the past year with regulators freezing approvals for new games

The founder of Nexon, South Korea’s largest video game company, has fanned speculation he will sell his controlling stake in the company, which produces hugely popular action role-playing online games Dungeon & Fighter and MapleStory.

Kim Jung-ju is considering new business opportunities, according to a company spokesperson, as Chinese and US firms emerge as possible buyers of his stake in Nexon.

“I’m considering various ways that would help make Nexon a globally competitive company all the more,” Kim said in a statement published on Saturday. “I’ve been always in agony, searching for the best ways for the company’s growth and for that purpose, what I should do ... I am more determined than ever to plunge into new challenges, without getting complacent.”

hares of the company’s subsidiaries surged for the three consecutive business days, with Nexon GT trading 19 per cent higher and Net Games soaring 9.5 per cent on Monday.

Kim Jung-ju has reportedly sent letters through Deutsche Bank New York branch to Chinese online game behemoth Tencent and some private equity funds, expressing his intention to sell most of the 48 per cent stake worth 6 trillion won (US$5.4 billion) he and his wife own.

Tencent publishes Dungeon & Fighter in China and Nexon is heavily dependent on the Chinese market. Tencent may therefore have an advantage over other potential buyers, including US game publisher Electronic Arts.

Nexon’s 2018 fourth-quarter sales have been estimated to be somewhere between 45-50 billion yen (US$414-460 million), down 5-13 per cent from the previous year, a Nexon spokesperson said. Net profit for the September-December period was forecast to be 7.6-9.6 billion yen, a turnaround from the net loss of 2.2 billion yen the year before.

However, it remains to be seen whether Tencent will take the plunge, given China’s gaming industry has been hammered over the past year with regulators freezing approvals for new games.

A Tencent spokesman declined to comment.

Kim founded Nexon in 1994 after abandoning a master’s degree in computer engineering at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology. He launched the popular online role-playing game Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds.

Nexon has grown to be a global company, producing more than 90 game titles played by more than 1.4 billion users.
  • HelsaHelsa
    48% stake? That's a whole lot different. He may be the largest stockholder in the company but that is not technically a controlling interest. This story is looking more and more like a nothing-burger.
    Wolfsinger
  • SheenaSheena
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,515
    so does that mean if its sold off we would have to redownload the game under the new owners site and start all over again?

The day that happens or if this game ends up in EA's greedy hands it will be the end for Mabinogi as we know it.
    KensamaofmariSherri
    As I've said, as long as some other company that is not EA or Tencent, Mabi should be fine.
    [Deleted User]AlexLightMaggietheCook
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    As long as it's not Bandai Namco, we'll be fine. -- @Kensamaofmari

I don't think they're in the mix lol. But you never know.
    In my opinion, Netmarble will be ok.
  • HelsaHelsa
    I'll admit, I'm kinda ignorant about this can someone explain the pro's and cons of:
    EA, Tencent, Bandai Namco, Netmarble, and any potential others?
    edited January 14, 2019
    I'll admit, I'm kinda ignorant about this can someone explain the pro's and cons of:

Gonna take some research.
    Please stand by.
  • HelsaHelsa

Gonna take some research.
    Please stand by.

I'm giddy with school-girl anticipation!