Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Magic: Create a Skill

RaintheswordRainthesword
Mabinogi Rep: 1,905
edited April 28, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
Before you ask no idea from here will ever reach the game and as far as I know none have from the forums but I want to brain storm with others on interesting spells they could create and bring into the world of Erinn if they could, as the title suggests this is only for spells and feel free to give a neat history if you want to your own spells.
Spell: Burning Apocalypse
Grade: Cursed Magic
Type: Fire Magic (Destruction)
Cost: All Mana (Requires 1000-2000 Mana Points to cast depending on rank)
Affects:
- 5 Minute Cast Time
- Interruption will cause mana explosion with the caster being the centre of said explosion.
- Once cast a small star will appear above the player wrapped in magical symbols.
- Once successfully cast the player can click anywhere within a set radius leaving a magical crest on the ground and one above.
- A pillar of fire will pour out of the crest in the sky slamming into the crest on the ground and damaging anyone within the crest.
- This spell can be maintained for 5 minutes without mana once cast.
- Only 10 pillars of fire can be active at one time.
- Once the spell has worn off the player will enter a Mana Cursed State for the next 30 minutes being unable to cast any spell, black chains should be seen around them faintly indicating this state.
- Can’t be used in confined places.
Spell: Frozen Despair
Grade: Cursed Magic
Type: Ice Magic (Support)
Cost: All Mana (Requires 1000-2000 Mana Points to cast depending on rank)
Affects:
- 5 Minute Cast Time
- Interruption will cause mana explosion with the caster being the centre of said explosion.
- Once cast a large magical crest will appear below and above the cast expanding to a point dependant on rank.
- When standing within the crest all enemies will face movement debuff getting slower the longer they stand within.
- Razor ice will rain down from the above crest causing minor injury but not enough to kill any true threats.
- This spell can be maintained for 5 minutes without mana once cast.
- Once the spell has worn off the player will enter a Mana Cursed State for the next 30 minutes being unable to cast any spell, black chains should be seen around them faintly indicating this state.
- Can’t be used in confined places.

These are what I've though up as interesting spells I would want but I will most likely come up with more or develop these ones based on your opinions.
  1. Do you mainly use the Magic skills over other talents?16 votes
    1. Yes (You use most of it)
       31% (5 votes)
    2. No (You never use it)
       31% (5 votes)
    3. No (Use only a few skills to compliment your main talent)
       38% (6 votes)

Comments

• AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Wrong place to post this.

Go to suggestions.
  • RaintheswordRainthesword
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,905
    I disagree, as we all know nothing suggested ever makes it into game and I'm not suggesting anything here be implemented as I know that is an impossibility. This is a general chat about what skills people can come up with and what they would do.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    I disagree, as we all know nothing suggested ever makes it into game and I'm not suggesting anything here be implemented as I know that is an impossibility. This is a general chat about what skills people can come up with and what they would do.

Actually sounds like an interesting idea.
    Kinda like a thought-out wishlist - I like it XD
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited April 4, 2019

I beg to differ. There are quite a number of things suggested that were implemented or returned when it was posted in the suggestions forum.
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    there was a suggestion of whips and we got it but different.
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    the fire spell is like "Pillar of Fire" from The Kane Chronicles.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Would be cool if we could make our own skills though. Kind of like sao mothers Rosario.
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    A custom spell crafting system like Morrowind had would be pretty nice, it could be extended to other classes too of course. To keep with the grindfest spirit of Korean MMOs the effects of the created skills could be based off of basic building blocks (eg: magic skill, ice elemental damage, area of effect, etc) that are dropped as a blueprint of sorts at 0.00025% in tech duinn elites and any future tedious content.

Admitedly balancing any sort of custom skill system in an MMO would be quite the task, one that I don't personally believe Devcat will undertake since they seem rather averse to balancing already. But it's nice to dream.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Heck yeah, we have to expand from the missile casting system of magic we have now to include more support magic.

- Stone Fists: improvised knuckles
    - Stone Skin: increased defense/protection
    - Flaming Fingers: Your hands become a source of heat for cooking. You can point and start a small very temporary campfire.
    - Moist Inspiration: You don't need "bottled water" for cooking and alchemy. Also use it to fill all bottles in your inventory.
    - Flight: Use the power of wind to fly without a mount.
    - Shock: Same exact effect as alchemic Shock skill.
    Rainthesword
  • DonPatchDonPatch
    Mabinogi Rep: 850
    I've always joked that this should be a thing since the non-existent crossover with full metal alchemist.

It's not magic, but alchemy lol.

Skill name: Bee swarm

Description: Through the use of equivalent exchange, sacrifice some of your life force to bring bees back life to attack an enemy.

How it would work is just have dead bees in your inventory and use the skill. Higher levels, you can use dead bees+honey/royal jelly for stronger versions of the attack.

Can recycle and use a hornet model as the attack or something lol.
    Rainthesword
  • XehalinXehalin
    Mabinogi Rep: 530
    You lost me at 5 minute cast time. There are instant cast skills that drop anywhere from 100k-1m damage easily with a short cooldown. What could your 5 minute skill do? It would have to do damage in the 10s of millions to be useful. I get that it's just an idea, but long cast time skills are wildly unpopular. It's just not fun gameplay, and it's usually ineffective in most situations in this game.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Xehalin wrote: »
    You lost me at 5 minute cast time. There are instant cast skills that drop anywhere from 100k-1m damage easily with a short cooldown. What could your 5 minute skill do? It would have to do damage in the 10s of millions to be useful. I get that it's just an idea, but long cast time skills are wildly unpopular. It's just not fun gameplay, and it's usually ineffective in most situations in this game.

Basically ineffective for every situation barring using it on raccoons or foxes. Meteor's cast time already limits its usage I can't imagine a 5 min cast skill at all.