Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

[Announcement] Server Merge & FAQ

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    I think this:

is the definitive version.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Gaea wrote: »
    Pan wrote: »
    If they merged Alexina, we wouldn't be needing tests.

We would still need testing, shut the bleep up.

I was going to ask what the logic behind not needing tests would be, but it's Pan so I reckon there isn't any.

100% I would still do this test regardless of the number of servers merged because I'm personally quite concerned over how they're going to merge my Mari+Tarlach+Ruairi account. It's gonna be nice to have them all together on one server, but there are gonna be sooo many renamings and items moved that it isn't funny. I trust that the bank tabs will be merged correctly, but the Dressing Room is too much of a risk - which is why I emptied all of mine except for the noobie shoes.

The fact that we don't know what's going to happen to marriages, families and even meet-cute bracelets is an argument against including Alexina in the merge. The staff members are probably going to have to deal with heaps of panicked tickets from half of the NA server population, can you imagine how bad it would be if they had all of Alexina freaking out as well?

Leaving Alexina out of the merge allows them to 1) keep new character creation open on at least one server, and 2) control the amount of post-merge fallout they'll have to deal with. I'm getting really tired of 1-post nobodies crawling out of the woodwork to demand a merge without even addressing these things.
  • KousukeKiraKousukeKira
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,320
    Anyone knows what will happen to notes? Also if the names from the senders are being changed. I mean, I have a lot of notes from friends that don't play anymore that I don't want to lose, but are way too many to screenshot.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited May 22, 2019
    Anyone knows what will happen to notes? Also if the names from the senders are being changed. I mean, I have a lot of notes from friends that don't play anymore that I don't want to lose, but are way too many to screenshot.

Get to screenshotting a lot of things before D day.

DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Eralea wrote: »

100% I would still do this test regardless of the number of servers merged because I'm personally quite concerned over how they're going to merge my Mari+Tarlach+Ruairi account. It's gonna be nice to have them all together on one server, but there are gonna be sooo many renamings and items moved that it isn't funny. I trust that the bank tabs will be merged correctly, but the Dressing Room is too much of a risk - which is why I emptied all of mine except for the noobie shoes.

Doing a final full merge, of course, would be accompanied with tests, they're just being silly. If your account has characters on just one server, then your possessions are likely to be unaffected, including your gold.

It's folks with characters on multiple servers who are at risk. For them, I think items stored in the bank /should/ be okay. The issue with the bank would be gold merger but I think that should be alright too, but that's just a gut feeling based on them using scripts to merge the gold. Emptying Dressing Room for multi-server folks is necessary. Technically, you'd probably only need to empty duplicates, but if you have the space to full empty it, then that would be prudent.
    Eralea wrote: »
    The fact that we don't know what's going to happen to marriages, families and even meet-cute bracelets is an argument against including Alexina in the merge. The staff members are probably going to have to deal with heaps of panicked tickets from half of the NA server population, can you imagine how bad it would be if they had all of Alexina freaking out as well?

Leaving Alexina out of the merge allows them to 1) keep new character creation open on at least one server, and 2) control the amount of post-merge fallout they'll have to deal with. I'm getting really tired of 1-post nobodies crawling out of the woodwork to demand a merge without even addressing these things.

The consequences of renaming folks is a likely area where Nexon /could/ make unforeseen mistakes. I half agree with what you say. The idea of keeping one server free of consequence is prudent for the reasons you state, but if this were a full merge, conducted properly (ie with appropriate changes to game code as well), then there would be NO renaming needed; because duplicate names could be allowed. If there are a ton of tickets, the renaming issue, I suspect, is going to be the cause of the Lion's share of them.

That is an interesting idea. It all depends on whether the "from" field is just populated blindly with the sender's name, or whether it remains linked to their character record. If it's a duplicate name, then the server they are from would be attached to the note as a hidden field as well. Hm? I'm gonna guess it'll still work, but I'm not willing to bet the farm on it.

The other potential consequences of name change listed recently, are potential areas of unforeseen problems too. Gaea had mentioned someone whom had their name changed by a GM and all sorts of problems occurred, but it is my understanding that on overseas servers you can rename characters. Wouldn't that pretty much be the same thing? Or do they have rules like you have to get divorced before renaming or some such thing?
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Ladame wrote: »
    Another thing to consider, Meet-Cute bracelets. I wonder if the merge will mess those up as well?

It's a loss, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice. Que the "Country Roads" song (preferably from Whispers of the Heart version).

What if there was a new ownership reset item that Nexon KR could develop sometime later?
    That might solve the problem. Oh wait... the trade unlock potions would be our only hope.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited May 22, 2019
    Another thing to consider, Meet-Cute bracelets. I wonder if the merge will mess those up as well?

It's a loss, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice. Que the "Country Roads" song (preferably from Whispers of the Heart version).

What if there was a new ownership reset item that Nexon KR could develop sometime later?
    That might solve the problem. Oh wait... the trade unlock potions would be our only hope.

I wouldn't put it past Nexon to put a price tag on that. 9dnGeIh.png

Seriously though, we should be compensated items like that after the merge. Name change coupons for instance, each account should get at least one. :|

DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
    Darkpixie99Woollywitch
  • LadameLadame
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,600

It doesn't seem possible to get ownership changed at all, involving the Meet-Cute Bracelets. :( My partner switched mains in recent years, and we haven't been able to use ours. I recently submitted a ticket asking if it was possible to move the bracelet from one character on her account to another, and they said it wasn't possible.

The only thing they could maybe do to people negatively effected by merge is deleting their old Meet-Cute Bracelets and giving the a new replacement Box to use.
  • HelsaHelsa
    If it breaks and they charges us money to fix it then they're evil. If it breaks and they have to fix it a future maintenance then they missed one. That folks are bringing up these issues here is helpful, since their QA department is just people too. The community may come up with concerns that Nexon hadn't anticipated. So, these discussions are useful . . . assuming they bother to go to slumming on the forums.
    Ladame
  • NyroNyro
    Mabinogi Rep: 940
    Gaea wrote: »
    Lutetium wrote: »
    Falaflame wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with Gaea for once.
    Gaea is a good girl who din do nuffin. The sheep as always is a bug bear in a sheep robe.

Amen to that. My rep has always been in the crapper. I know there are GM's and other staff that don't like me either. I tend to rock the boat, but I do it under the right intentions. I don't care if there is an Illuminati group that is trying to destroy me...I love this game and the certain people I allow to be my friends to play it with.

I play by the rules and you will never be able to get rid of me, so stop trying.

:)

love you best friend
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Why are people here worrying about the minor things such as: mEeT CoUPle bRaCElETS, nOTeS, mARRiaGe D@te$, eTc.

They all will be erased when Mabinogi shuts down anyways. People should stop putting value into these things because they do not mean anything. You can always send new notes or get new bracelets.

And what value do you find coming here with these statements and opinions of yours?
    WolfsingerGretaWoollywitch
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 21, 2019
    Why are people here worrying about the minor things such as: mEeT CoUPle bRaCElETS, nOTeS, mARRiaGe D@te$, eTc.

They all will be erased when Mabinogi shuts down anyways. People should stop putting value into these things because they do not mean anything. You can always send new notes or get new bracelets.

And what value do you find coming here with these statements and opinions of yours?

You know you're serving up some Pan-fry right?
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Helsa wrote: »

Pan values the art of trolling.
    Greta wrote: »

Pan values the art of trolling.

Well, I mean trolling can be used for some people's poor taste of entertainment. I do it sometimes elsewhere when I'm bored, but there's no real value to it unless you're using it for acts of espionage directed by certain groups to do so.
  • GretaGreta
    edited May 21, 2019
    I am simply trying to soften the blow of your depressions once you all lose these meaningless things that you're all overly attached to later on.

You sure it's not you who's the most depressed here?
    WolfsingerWoollywitch
  • HelsaHelsa
    I am simply trying to soften the blow of your depressions once you all lose these meaningless things that you're all overly attached to later on.

Oh let's face it, most folks on Alexina are depressed since we don't have dates to the Prom.
  • GretaGreta

Oh let's face it, most folks on Alexina are depressed since we don't have dates to the Prom.

I have no clue what did i just read.
    You guys give me happiness.

Glad that we do.
    Wolfsinger
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    You guys give me happiness.

Glad that we do.

Somebody has to
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited May 21, 2019
    @Pan
    Stop with the FUD.
    I used to think Mabinogi was doing poorly myself, but at 11 years, KR has a ton in store for NA. All we have to do is play catch up.
    The KR director has a a good team, and development is finally going in the direction players have been asking for.
    Mabinogi's server merge proves that Nexon NA has enough cash to support the servers for at least a few more years until loot box law becomes reality. (In theory.)
    As everyone has said, bound items can easily be replaced with new ones.
    It's Nexon's own spaghetti code, so it's only natural that any compensation would be free of charge.
    Even if gachapons were to become illegal within the time frame of 2020-2022, Nexon would have to make the business decision to change the Cash Shop themselves.
    It's called business for a reason, keep up with demand and logic, or be left behind. (Nexon KR chose keep up, so here's the NA server merge.)
    Nexon wouldn't be developing Rocket Arena or Peria Chronicles if they were in the red, that'd just be dumb.