Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Updating Mabi Engine :D

ZetophiZetophi
Mabinogi Rep: 1,425
in Feedback and Suggestions
What would it take to Update Mabinogi's Engine, all clothing items and character models and the like to The Engine used in this Trailer.

It is a Trailer from Nexon's own engine... The Graphics were wonderful, but the concept of basically Vindi II to replace our wonderful free world of Mabi was cringe :(
However I think it would be cool to see the full game updated into this engine :D
Give us all sliders to play god with our characters and the like.
  1. Would you play mabi in a Updated World?23 votes
    1. HELL YES As long as it wasn't Arena.
       9% (2 votes)
    2. Yes
       13% (3 votes)
    3. I would have to see.
       30% (7 votes)
    4. No
       9% (2 votes)
    5. NOOOO KEEP THE ANIME CUTENESS :D
       39% (9 votes)

Comments

• aef8234aef8234
    Mabinogi Rep: 760
    I still honestly do not understand why they don't just move the game to a different engine, I mean most of data involved for the change are just variables.

What items we have, their rolls, our skill ranks/AP, etc.

It might be a gigantic undertaking in the sense of man-hours, but people have asked for this kind of thing the second the combat system removed skill loading which then made the hitbox problem all the more glaring.

Seriously there was a gap a long time ago where this game could've been the best diablo-esque beat-em-up game, which was probably where Mabi2 was going to be, but now PoE has that spot.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Probably because this isn't their bread and butter, but enough people still play it in its current state to keep it on the menu.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited June 14, 2019
    Probably because this isn't their bread and butter, but enough people still play it in its current state to keep it on the menu.

The main culprit seems to be the spaghetti code Devcat left behind, which is still being decoded/untangled by the KR branch.
    Musicat
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    I'd only be onboard with this if the game stayed colorful and anime-style. None of that gritty, nasty, gray/brown wannabe realistic crap. A game that looks like it needs a bath is only aesthetically appropriate for horror games, dark fantasy, and shooters. Maybe I'm biased because I came up in the 16-bit era, when most of the biggest games of the time used bright, vivid colors and cartoonish art styles, but I never really got on board with the whole "the realer the better" graphics bandwagon and never got how making a game look dirtier made it somehow "gorgeous."

So, sure, update the engine, upgrade the combat, smooth out the graphics, sharpen the textures...but keep Mabi colorful and anime-esque. Maybe bring in some crisp, clean cell shading. But please, don't dip the game in the same bag of dirt as half the AAA games from the past 16 years.
    THICCthighssavelivesMusicatSherriYangKoeteskpkion
  • ZetophiZetophi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,425
    I'd only be onboard with this if the game stayed colorful and anime-style. None of that gritty, nasty, gray/brown wannabe realistic crap. A game that looks like it needs a bath is only aesthetically appropriate for horror games, dark fantasy, and shooters. Maybe I'm biased because I came up in the 16-bit era, when most of the biggest games of the time used bright, vivid colors and cartoonish art styles, but I never really got on board with the whole "the realer the better" graphics bandwagon and never got how making a game look dirtier made it somehow "gorgeous."

So, sure, update the engine, upgrade the combat, smooth out the graphics, sharpen the textures...but keep Mabi colorful and anime-esque. Maybe bring in some crisp, clean cell shading. But please, don't dip the game in the same bag of dirt as half the AAA games from the past 16 years.

I agree with you :D
  • Donk3yDonk3y
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,050
    edited July 5, 2019

The main culprit seems to be the spaghetti code Devcat left behind, which is still being decoded/untangled by the KR branch.

There's an easy way to fix that: get Devcat back :/
    None of that gritty, nasty, gray/brown wannabe realistic crap.

The sad part is that a lot of "medieval" themed fantasy games have that, while in the actual medieval times, people were wearing really colorful stuff, not the brown poopstained stuff that's depicted in movies and games xD
    SherriDanievictria
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited July 5, 2019
    Zetophi wrote: »
    What would it take to Update Mabinogi's Engine, all clothing items and character models and the like to The Engine used in this Trailer.

It is a Trailer from Nexon's own engine... The Graphics were wonderful, but the concept of basically Vindi II to replace our wonderful free world of Mabi was cringe :(
    However I think it would be cool to see the full game updated into this engine :D
    Give us all sliders to play god with our characters and the like.

Why is it that every thread of yours asks for something that will never happen?

I wouldn't mind Mabi having Skyrim-level graphics.
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390

I would. Look at that fence; that's not an improvement over what Mabi has.
    8655-1-1331537164.jpg
    8655-1-1360221376.jpg
    Sherri
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    At least get rid of the absurd use of 2-D decals for objects. Please...

I'm sure it'd be a lengthy process, but an "upgraded" engine with graphics would be nice.
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    edited July 8, 2019

So, something like Xenoblade Chonicles 2 or the more recent Tales games?
    DanievictriaDonk3y
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited July 7, 2019
    Draech wrote: »

I would. Look at that fence; that's not an improvement over what Mabi has.
    8655-1-1331537164.jpg
    8655-1-1360221376.jpg

If that's your benchmark for quality, I'd find a different job, if I were you.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Maybe have a radio button in Options under UI to choose either Mabinogi Classic or Mabinogi Ultra or whateverthell they wanna call it; then everybody wins. Whether they do this or not I'd still like characters to blink rather than having a doll-like blank stare.
    YangKoete
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    Helsa wrote: »
    Maybe have a radio button in Options under UI to choose either Mabinogi Classic or Mabinogi Ultra or whateverthell they wanna call it; then everybody wins. Whether they do this or not I'd still like characters to blink rather than having a doll-like blank stare.

At least letting us look a bit more "Animated" works well. Blinking, some fluid movement on the tassels on weapons, etc.
  • Donk3yDonk3y
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,050
    nomigid15 wrote: »

So, something like Xenoblade Chonicles 2 or the more recent Tales games?

I kept saying that I want my nopons in this game :D