Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Regarding name changes..

YemXtrinYemXtrin
Mabinogi Rep: 960
in General Chat
So like... are we ever getting paid name changes, or did they just forget about that?

Comments

• ToreishiToreishi
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,180
    It's funny how we got a Server Merge and VIP Update before Name Change Coupons. I thought the latter was easier to implement. -shrug-
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Perhaps you won't be getting away from NPC murder by changing your looks and your name just yet...
    Wolfsinger
  • HarukariHarukari
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,470
    edited November 27, 2019
    Expect it to take at least a year or longer.
    There's a lot of people on Nao wanting their names changed.

Not everyone likes rocking the +Server after their username.
    I certainly didn't.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Harukari wrote: »
    Expect it to take at least a year or longer.
    There's a lot of people on Nao wanting their names changed.

Not everyone likes rocking the +Server after their username.
    I certainly didn't.

If it's taking time then that might indicate that they are working on reorganizing how the database is set-up. If they can move to using record number as the Primary Key field this would allow so much more than just enabling server merges. It would make the database completely independent of the load bearing system. They would then be free to move from the channel system to something else.
  • HarukariHarukari
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,470
    Well considering the fact that they do name changes once a week, with how many people there are on Nao, of course it's gonna take a while.
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
    Honestly, Helsa may be bringing in a valid point. Maybe they're not bringing paid Name Changes yet because they're looking at how to optimize names, which may mean they are thinking of doing something that could affect names again. Something like an Alexina merge maybe.
  • SkyahriSkyahri
    Mabinogi Rep: 980
    I think the name change process for this game is a lot more complicated than people think because of how it was coded in the past. It isn't like other games where you can just change it and be done with it. I think in Mabinogi your name is like tied with your character. I think thats why when you request a name change it is only done during the maintenance because they have to manually change people's names 1 by 1. I don't think they have like a system that can do it so if they released payed name changes it would be a lot of work load for few people. So my guess is that they are trying to find a way to fix this or work around for it before they let everyone change their names. That is why I think it is taking so long.
  • ServilliusServillius
    Mabinogi Rep: 745
    I'm lucky my main didn't have +server. Almost none of my pets and characters did.
  • OdinMYOdinMY
    Mabinogi Rep: 10
    Yeah, the way Mabinogi was coded has a lot to do with it. Your character name ended up being used as a unique identifier that a lot of other data regarding your character refers to. Changing this is nontrivial, it would require a lot of additional code to make it instead use an index number or internal identifier and then retrieve your name to display on the fly.

Right now name changes are no doubt done by using a find-replace script wherein they can give it a batch of names to replace and it scans the database to find and replace all instances of that name. Thus it can only be done during server maintenance when nothing else is referencing that data. For a name change item to make sense it really would need to be done on the fly, which means restructuring the database in a way that would allow that. Most critically- you'd probably have to go see Nao first to put your character in a known condition where nothing else is interacting with them that could be broken by the change.