Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Rework Respite

BloonkBloonk
Mabinogi Rep: 1,080
in Feedback and Suggestions
The Respite skill came out with the rest of the fighter skills about 7 years ago, and it really shows!

at rank 1 it heals a WHOPPING 75 hp and stamina, with a 95% chance to recover poison.
it's hard to say how much hp most players had 7 years ago, but looking at old youtube videos from around that time, 300-400hp seems about average. so back then, Respite would heal you for about a 25% of your health (casting a spell after using respite takes away 25% of your health, so it's balanced like that purposefully.)

these days, endgame players have 3k hp or more, so channeling respite for 5 seconds to heal 75 hp is completely out of the question!

now you could argue that the chance to recover poison at least gives it niche usability, but you get the same effect from just summoning a Tuan or a pegasus. you could also argue that Free 2 play players don't have access to Tuan or Pegasus, but you get a free battle pegasus from completing saga iria.

I don't think there is any case to be made for Respite, in fact if you deleted the skill I wouldn't even notice. Sometimes I click the skill because the animation is neat, but otherwise it's a very bad skill. the amount healed should be buffed to a point where it's usable.
  1. Is respite useless?13 votes
    1. yes
       100% (13 votes)
    2. no
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited February 5, 2020
    If you are a new player and happen to rank it early then it may have some use for you for a while. But overall, although it's not the most useless skill in the game (that honor goes to Artifact Investigation), it is one of those skills that you rank for stat boosts and moreso as a trophy. Like those millions of titles we can get but can only wear one at a time, nearly all are gotten just to get and collect.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Honestly, fighter in general needs some updates.. and I'm not saying to add more OP knuckles, that's just a band-aid at this point.
    I mean fix the glitches that have been around for many years now, maybe add a few more skills (besides combo, I'm sick of being a sitting duck during skill cooldown), as well as fix Respite to help us out more nowadays..
    Blissfulkill
  • HelsaHelsa
    Sherri wrote: »
    . . . I'm sick of being a sitting duck during skill cooldown) . . .

Really? You get two rounds with two sets of fighter combos then you do one round of close combat skills then the whole thing starts all over again; doesn't that work for you?
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Helsa wrote: »

Really? You get two rounds with two sets of fighter combos then you do one round of close combat skills then the whole thing starts all over again; doesn't that work for you?

Even with a Revenant Knuckle, I burn through them and have to wait or try my luck with that crit thing which never works out for me lol
    I'm just terribly unlucky, I'm sure a lot of other people have it better lol
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    Bloonk wrote: »
    these days, endgame players have 3k hp or more, so channeling respite for 5 seconds to heal 75 hp is completely out of the question!

3266 HP at 167/12 ninja talent age 12 giant no buffs or gear on, missing a few points from unfinished grandmasters but skills all maxed so 3k~ I'd say is solid estimate. That being said, I've never used respite aside from ranking. I can honestly say the same thing about Life Drain in my giant's case due to the Professor J patch nerfing it by adding a needlessly long cooldown, R1 is suppose to drain 450 HP but never quite seems to go over 300~ now, although back in the day respite was new Life Drain was always the superior alternative until we got cloud pets which objectively deprecated both and the heal+party heal skills.

I would say not just respite but all healing skills need reworked aside from rest and inspiration, they're the only ones that reasonably do their jobs. Infact just make Respite an hp+sp version of inspiration and restore 50/75% respectively, it'd be a usable skill then.

Bloonk wrote: »
    now you could argue that the chance to recover poison at least gives it niche usability, but you get the same effect from just summoning a Tuan or a pegasus. you could also argue that Free 2 play players don't have access to Tuan or Pegasus, but you get a free battle pegasus from completing saga iria.

Even the poison recover is hardly a justification for the skill being so useless as a heal because Antidote Potions exist, and it only applies after the poison has had several ticks at your health, which it doesn't recover.
    Honestly, fighter in general needs some updates.. and I'm not saying to add more OP knuckles, that's just a band-aid at this point.
    I mean fix the glitches that have been around for many years now, maybe add a few more skills (besides combo, I'm sick of being a sitting duck during skill cooldown), as well as fix Respite to help us out more nowadays..
    It would be nice to see another tree or two of 3 stage combos added for sure, especially with so many monsters being immune to pummel, the strongest multiplier skill at fighter's disposal. Admittedly though, if you're a giant the extra cooldown reduction from combo mastery already lets you chain all 6 skills infinitely, so long as you can actually use pummel on something, although that's a bit less the case if you're using knuckle ego with 1.5x stage 2/3 speed, but erg also patches up the problem with another additive 50% cooldown reduction.

That's Devcat's way though, they've been refusing to touch skills due to player outrage in the past over dynamic combat and instead just make bandage "rebalances" via new upgrade systems and weapon tiers (special upgrades, pierce on 2h sword and bow, easier set effect access with points on weapons, erg, Revenant/Perseus special set effects, new egos) which people oddly seem inclined to dismiss as "power creep" instead of recognizing that balance is now walled behind upgrade systems instead of patch updates then wonder why new content is "too hard".

I expect thats how they'll address Respite too, if they bother at all, an upgrade or enchant that just adds to it's healing rate, which will in turn also become outdated as player characters continue to gain stats as more skills are added, recreating the problem instead of simply fixing the base skill in the first place.

All that being said though, I'm pretty happy with my ego Revenant knuckles, piled up with my reforges (charging cdr 3, combo 9, somersault 16+dropkick 18 on the same shoe) they've been pretty effective already even at only erg 30 without any cooldown reduction, if the cd reset rng is bad I'm just going to smash with my borealis or chain impale a few times depending on what's equipped since I'm not locked into the knuckles only or anything.
    Sherri
  • HelsaHelsa

Even with a Revenant Knuckle, I burn through them and have to wait or try my luck with that crit thing which never works out for me lol
    I'm just terribly unlucky, I'm sure a lot of other people have it better lol

Throw in a quick Fire/Counter or Counter/Fire and see if that buys you the time you need. Just a single charge Fire Bolt. You use Fire Bolt for the secondary effect: knockback (I think of it as knockback bolt); the damage it gives is just the prize in the Cracker Jack box.
    Sherri
  • SylekSylek
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,100
    As I'm primarily magic oriented, I use Merlin Knuckles so I don't usually have a lot of issues being left open. However, this makes Respite especially useless to me as if I were to try to use it, I'm pretty likely to take more damage using a spell before the debuff is gone. That said, I don't even have it fully ranked because there's little use to it. From what OP says about rank 1, HP 100 pots are easy to make, heal you more. don't use an animation, and don't have a cooldown. Antidote potions, while a little more rare, are also a thing to remove poison.
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    Honestly, all the Fighter skills need a desperate rebalance. I can't even combo them anymore because the game doesn't hits properly from some of the skills and move to the next skill set before I end up getting counterattacked. As for respite, it was always a useless skill to me. It had no real use other than maybe trying to get a little lost health back, but the price is pretty steep when you're a mage. Honestly I'd say it should also be instant, sort of like vital surge (but not granting all health back)
  • SylekSylek
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,100
    Squee wrote: »
    Honestly, all the Fighter skills need a desperate rebalance. I can't even combo them anymore because the game doesn't hits properly from some of the skills and move to the next skill set before I end up getting counterattacked. As for respite, it was always a useless skill to me. It had no real use other than maybe trying to get a little lost health back, but the price is pretty steep when you're a mage. Honestly I'd say it should also be instant, sort of like vital surge (but not granting all health back)

What reasoning does Respite have for having that recoil effect with magic or alchemy? What possible balancing issue is it? The only other healing method with a possible negative is potions, but that's only if you use a lot of them in a short period of time. And there are event potions that remove that risk. I'm not arguing that all other fighter skills are fine, but as we've mentioned, Respite has no use for anyone. I could try to argue that it's currently the only skill to try to restore SP, but it's still negligible.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Sylek wrote: »
    Squee wrote: »

What reasoning does Respite have for having that recoil effect with magic or alchemy? What possible balancing issue is it? The only other healing method with a possible negative is potions, but that's only if you use a lot of them in a short period of time. And there are event potions that remove that risk. I'm not arguing that all other fighter skills are fine, but as we've mentioned, Respite has no use for anyone. I could try to argue that it's currently the only skill to try to restore SP, but it's still negligible.

You know that's a good point, they should nerf the negative effect versus Magic and Alchemy. When the skill was new maybe it made sense to give it that downside, but, other than new characters that started as fighters, who uses the skill? I think that I might even have it mastered and I've never used it other than to master it. On the other hand, believe it or not, I've never ever actually loaded Giant Full Swing even though I have it topped off. You see to use it, you first have to transform and who does that. NO TRANFORM, NO ARMOUR; FOR SPARTA!!!!!!
  • BloonkBloonk
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,080
    edited February 24, 2020
    On the other hand, believe it or not, I've never ever actually loaded Giant Full Swing even though I have it topped off. You see to use it, you first have to transform and who does that.

You can use giant full swing while using Windguard. you're missing out on a ton of damage potential, it's a giant's bread and butter.