Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Signed Items: Thoughts?

NeyheshiNeyheshi
Mabinogi Rep: 1,220
edited May 20, 2020 in General Chat
I’m a crafter and nothing brings me more joy than selling what I make. There’s a sense of pride and fulfillment that comes with selling the gear I crafted or having someone ask for something to be made. This is especially true if the item has my signature. Back in the day I used to collect weapons that were signed by rank 1 crafters which is what started me on crafting in the first place.

I was doing my usual thing on Monday when a thought occurred to me: Do people still care if something is signed?

Signed usually means better but it also seems to sell slower. Even if I price 2 items with very similar stats the same, the signed one will sit around longer than the plain one.

I want to ask what your habits and preferences are when it comes to shopping for gear. Any input would be appreciated. If you’ve ever supported me and purchased something I made, thank you and I hope you’ve enjoyed it. :)
  1. Do signatures matter to you?21 votes
    1. Yes! I actively shop for signed items and for specific craftors
       0% (0 votes)
    2. Yes! A signature means the best rolls I can get
       19% (4 votes)
    3. Yes! ... but I only really seek them from friends/those I know
       19% (4 votes)
    4. Not really! I shop for deals, not stats
       0% (0 votes)
    5. Not really! I buy whichever calls out to me
       14% (3 votes)
    6. Not really! I only look for signatures for Erg
       10% (2 votes)
    7. No! I always look for the cheapest options possible
       5% (1 vote)
    8. No! It feels odd to have someone’s name on my gear so I try to get non-signed gear
       33% (7 votes)

Comments

• NeyheshiNeyheshi
    Crap. It posted twice. This is the one that has all the options. How to delete the other?
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    I mean, max rolls are nice, but I also like wearing items that have my friends' names on them.
    Or mine, I guess. I have a sigged Hairband, if that counts :p

But I also have some really old sigged items from friends when their ranks were lower than what they're at now.
    So they're kinda like mementos as well.
    Neyheshi
  • TimefallTimefall
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,505
    These days specific signed items are incredibly valuable, as the signature is a requirement for leveling up Erg. As an example, a Colossal Valiance Armor sells for 2-3m, but if it's signed, it sells for 8-10m, even if the stats aren't great.

To find out which signed items are in high demand, and worth big money, check the Erg materials for each weapon type, around Erg level 35-45.
    Neyheshi
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited May 20, 2020
    To some extent, WHO signed it may have some value as well. I might be willing to pay more for, say, a Gretux or a Habimaru than a Buttmunch55. Unless, of course, I'm planning to feed the item into a crafting box. Then, I suppose, Buttmunch55 will be the better choice.

. . . and fix your title. Both of them! :)
  • courtneyycourtneyy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,435
    It's sad because now it feels like nexon is telling us all our signatures are meaningless since they will just be eaten by erg and lost forever... :(

But, yes, Erg is really the only reason on a variety of items that we would want signatures nowadays, as even just having Signed high tier weapons is not necessary seeing as we can get almost any high tier weapon from gacha without signatures and most of the time pre-enchanted/r1'd. :L It's a love-hate relationship as usual with Mabi.
    Neyheshi
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    It's too bad most "endgame" gear is gacha only and thus can't be signed. I will accept some friend signatures here and there though but... I definitely prefer to have items self-signed (just feels satisfying knowing I made it myself, since I keep equip view off anyway). I've managed to sign every massive despair item I've crafted which is pretty cool. I think what's cooler is when I sign something for someone else though.
    Neyheshi
  • TwelieTwelie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,840
    I only care about the stats. honestly. If I'm close to the person who made it then I like it, but often times I feel awkward buying a signed item because I know nothing about the person and am being associated with them if people decide to view my equips.
    Neyheshi
  • NeyheshiNeyheshi
    It seems like people really dont want to have a signature on items if they can help it. While disheartening, I can understand why. This has been interesting to see.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I think it's a good idea. They already have it for crafted food, so I don't see why other crafted items shouldn't have a player's signature on them.
    Whether it increases the value or not will also depend on quality of the item and if it is actually something someone can use.

For example, people probably won't care who crafted a certain sickle versus a rare weapon.
    But that is why we need more crafting manuals to more things and make use of more materials to actually make something like this work.
    There needs to be some way to balance the use of NPCs and a player sufficient economy.
    Neyheshi
  • NeyheshiNeyheshi
    I think it's a good idea. They already have it for crafted food, so I don't see why other crafted items shouldn't have a player's signature on them.
    Whether it increases the value or not will also depend on quality of the item and if it is actually something someone can use.

For example, people probably won't care who crafted a certain sickle versus a rare weapon.
    But that is why we need more crafting manuals to more things and make use of more materials to actually make something like this work.
    There needs to be some way to balance the use of NPCs and a player sufficient economy.

Agreed. They also need to bring back old manuals that were Production gacha or event only. I would love to craft older items for style. Some even for purpose

Kensamaofmari
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    edited May 21, 2020
    I love signing an item. I made a few ~100 max fanatic swords and I had 2 people I've never met before thanking for the sword. I looked at their inventory and they bought the sword I made. Feels good!

Edit: my staff and my gloves are signed. The staff I had an old friend craft it for me, and the gloves are from someone I've never met before, but it's still nice to have their signature on them c:

I have some more random gear with signatures on them (mostly mine) but I don't use them as much.
    KensamaofmariWolfsingerNeyheshi
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    I specifically purchased a signed chain blade over the generic because the stats were better + support your local crafters. I don't know the person personally, but I don't feel like I should have to. It just feels wonderful to know a product you created is being appreciated by someone else.
    WolfsingerКалашниковNeyheshiShiro42
  • DreadhawkDreadhawk
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,525
    I just recently acquired Dan3 in all life skills and I really enjoy signing my works. It's one of the few ways I have fun playing Mabi any more. And I have a handful of patterns/manuals that don't exist any more, or are from 10yr old events. One-offs that people might only ever see because I made them.

And who knows how much they are worth? I sure as heck don't. But they end up going out there and getting worn by people and the thought of it makes me smile. :)
    КалашниковWolfsingerNeyheshi
  • NeyheshiNeyheshi
    Dreadhawk wrote: »
    I just recently acquired Dan3 in all life skills and I really enjoy signing my works. It's one of the few ways I have fun playing Mabi any more. And I have a handful of patterns/manuals that don't exist any more, or are from 10yr old events. One-offs that people might only ever see because I made them.

And who knows how much they are worth? I sure as heck don't. But they end up going out there and getting worn by people and the thought of it makes me smile. :)

Thats something I love as well. People using and working with the gear I crafted. It feels good to think of someone doing so
  • KLNKLN
    Mabinogi Rep: 820
    I sign every Blacksmith and Tailor stuff as I can so as to allow people to know I try to give out the best that I can even if it's a non-Erg item. I also do it as self-advertisement. :P
    A lot of times people will Note or Add me on signed stuff and when they ask for discounts I give that to them. Sometime I get Notes from strangers thanking me for the crafted stuff too.

gXzNlTT.png

If you don't know me, just know I appreciate any stuff you end up buying/given from me.