Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Which Class?

NeamiNeami
Mabinogi Rep: 300
edited September 20, 2020 in General Chat
Hellloo everyone! I've been trying to get into playing Mabi again and I have decided to try and do the trading thingie in it, BUT I'm actually kinna wondering what "fighting" class is good to start with BEFORE trading so I can defend myself from bandits cause, I'm gonna be the only one playing. Orr are all the classes equal so it doesn't really matter for trading? I REALLY wanna do Puppetry, I love it a lot but at the same time, I unno if I should for trading. Do you guys have any tips and/or suggestions about what class I should choose for bandit defense as a trader? Oh, and if this ain't the right place to put this, the mods can move it. XS Thanks in advance!

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited September 21, 2020
    All of them.
    Every single skill in every talent adds to your stats.
    Have fun ranking everything.
  • VasumatiVasumati
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    Start with melee combat. It's a good solid base and almost any weapon from any other talent can benefit from using combat skills, such as smash, counter attack, windmill etc. Deffinately start with melee and branch out from there. And try to focus on windmill in particular at first if you can; it's one of the most important skills.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    In addition to the basic combat skills, also rank up other basic skills in magic like the bolts and healing. Try to get the skills past rank A and then start to look into how to pair with the skills and talents you prefer. The more intermediate skills would work better if you have the other skills to complement and support you.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Math.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited September 21, 2020
    Make sure to visit Duncan often. He has a service where he will lower all your skills to rank F. This gives you all those AP back, allowing you to borrow AP from yourself, and, since it lowers your stats, it lowers your Combat Power level, making some skills A LOT easier to train. Don't worry you can put the skills right back up again, without training, by just spending the AP back into them. If you decide to do this, and you should, don't work on mastering and danning anything until after you've gotten every skill to rank 1. Ranked and lowered is fine, just as long as every one has been at rank 1. When you lower skills any partial progress to the next rank is lost; this includes mastering.

If you want a talent that makes you a badass fast there are two choices: fighter and Chain Slasher.

Chain Slasher does more damage than fighter, I think, and has more AoE attacks. It's skills are very easy to train but really hard to get. Using slasher requires some discipline in resource management; in this case Dorcha. You'll see the first time you run out of it.

Fighter hits pretty darn hard, though not as hard as Chain, it's skills are some work to train but easy to get. Using fighter skills is really easy. The only trick is filling in the dead time while you wait for their cool down, but thats not trouble really.

Your call.
  • NeamiNeami
    Helsa wrote: »
    Make sure to visit Duncan often. He has a service where he will lower all your skills to rank F. This gives you all those AP back, allowing you to borrow AP from yourself, and, since it lowers your stats, it lowers your Combat Power level, making some skills A LOT easier to train. Don't worry you can put the skills right back up again, without training, by just spending the AP back into them. If you decide to do this, and you should, don't work on mastering and danning anything until after you've gotten every skill to rank 1. Ranked and lowered is fine, just as long as every one has been at rank 1. When you lower skills any partial progress to the next rank is lost; this includes mastering.

If you want a talent that makes you a badass fast there are two choices: fighter and Chain Slasher.

Chain Slasher does more damage than fighter, I think, and has more AoE attacks. It's skills are very easy to train but really hard to get. Using slasher requires some discipline in resource management; in this case Dorcha. You'll see the first time you run out of it.

Fighter hits pretty darn hard, though not as hard as Chain, it's skills are some work to train but easy to get. Using fighter skills is really easy. The only trick is filling in the dead time while you wait for their cool down, but thats not trouble really.

Your call.

Ahh okay, sooo, not Puppeteer yet then? Chain Slasher looked kinna cool. Would Archery be good too? Orr like, I dunno bout Alchemy, but magic? I don't know about bard. I leveled handicraft to D so I can make the marionette repair boxes so when I can use puppets.
    Neami wrote: »

Your call.

Ahh okay, sooo, not Puppeteer yet then? Chain Slasher looked kinna cool. Would Archery be good too? Orr like, I dunno bout Alchemy, but magic? I don't know about bard. I leveled handicraft to D so I can make the marionette repair boxes so when I can use puppets.

Puppeteer maybe a little difficult early in the game. Archery is always a chore unless you are really into it.
    Bard skills are for support if you want to focus as a support.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775

Your call.

Puppeteer maybe a little difficult early in the game. Archery is always a chore unless you are really into it.
    Bard skills are for support if you want to focus as a support.

while I agree most bard skills are only for support learning Dance of Death and Encore will probably be useful to the op as they said they want to do Commerce/Trading. Dance of Death is incredibly useful when doing Commerce alone cause if you stay next to you Commerce mount while it is active bandits won't be able to loot until the Dance of Death skill ends and Encore instantly resets the cooldown for all bard skills including Dance of Death allowing you to use it a second time instantly if needed.

start with melee class and learn to fight a little first but if Commerce is something you want to do a lot I do recommend looking into getting Dance of Death. if you are doing Commerce solo it can be difficult focusing on 5 to 8 bandits all at once and stop them looting.
  • NeamiNeami
    Ahh ok, thank you guys! I'm gonna do that. I appreciate the advice!
  • HelsaHelsa

Or just raise lullaby in bard then use knuckles or chain when fighting banditos.

Feel free to come back here if you need more info.
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    I also suggest sometimes working on music, not just lullaby but also Battlefield and Enduring— the former will give you a nice temp boost in power/crit, the latter will help you recover stamina and mana and give you some defense.
    Wolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa

Your call.

Definitely do NOT start with puppets. Yes, they hit harder than a brand new character but, if all you have is puppetry and it's time to repair your puppets, if you don't have the money, how are you gonna get it. When puppetry first came out I saw a newb run into this very situation, they basically had to start all over again.

Early on, for bard, work on Lullaby, and if you are into crafting, harvest song. The rest can wait since all the recover buffs it gives can be covered with potions by new characters. You can revisit bard later to make your game more efficient. Now, that being said, I'd recommend bard as your first grand master though.