Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

«Anyone can just "Google" stuff and say it's true»

HabimaruHabimaru
Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
in Town Square
The title of this thread is me quoting a local-sheriff after describing the existence of major financial-fraud going on in the «system» to him (ironically, I was later on forced to file a counter-complaint against him and his co-conspirators for deprivations of rights under colour-of-law [18USC241], amongst other acts of treason).

«There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.» – Søren Kierkegaard (1813-55)
«This chapter does not argue against skepticism. On the contrary, it demonstrates that critical thinking is a double-edged sword: It must be applied to any claim, including the claims of skeptics.» -Dean Radin

So, some months ago, discussion came up about the introduction of legislations in some countries to essentially ban gacha-sales (I also recall from elsewhere at another community that they [who-ever they might be] are/were planning to «ban your [let's-just-say-this-is-a-animé-related-NSFW-term-here]»).

Anyway, just this last week, regarding Google, a law-suit by the U.S. Government (and 11 other states) is being dish out (i.e.: served) against them... https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/us-government-sues-google-heres-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-antitrust-case-5994071.html
The «complaint-document» consists of sixty-four (64) pages... SIXTY-FOUR pages!!!

Too bad there don't seem to be any search-results with direct-link to said law-suit (in Legal-practice... obtaining such is called Discovery).
  1. Sticking With Google or...?2 votes
    1. I am still a Googlephile
       0% (0 votes)
    2. Yahoo
       0% (0 votes)
    3. Bing
       50% (1 vote)
    4. Yandex
       0% (0 votes)
    5. DuckDuckGo
       0% (0 votes)
    6. Baidu (top-used search-engine in China [Google & CNN are actually banned in MASS-censorship China!])
       0% (0 votes)
    7. QQ.com
       0% (0 votes)
    8. AltaVista
       0% (0 votes)
    9. YouTube (how is this a Search-Engine!? And isn't it still owned by Google anyway!^)
       0% (0 votes)
    10. Archive.Org
       0% (0 votes)
    11. SwissCows
       0% (0 votes)
    12. Gibiru
       0% (0 votes)
    13. StartPage
       0% (0 votes)
    14. Search Encrypt
       0% (0 votes)
    15. OneSearch
       0% (0 votes)
    16. Had no idea about (a lot of) these other search-engines. I think I'll try them out !
       50% (1 vote)
    17. Interesting list/results but I think I will still seek out other alternative search-engines now~
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• JulieJulie
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    for many things i have looked, google hasnt given me the results i looked for, this includes shopping for things.
    KensamaofmariWolfsinger
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    I've been on google mostly for convenience-sake but I've been debating switching off to something else for a while. Really tired of not finding what I want, or discovering it buried 60 pages deep beneath someone else's bias.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    I've been on google mostly for convenience-sake but I've been debating switching off to something else for a while. Really tired of not finding what I want, or discovering it buried 60 pages deep beneath someone else's bias.

Wanna get away from Google? Use Yellow Pages!
    Wolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Friends don't let friends home-school in their double-wide and google.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    I actually haven't bothered to use Google for literally years & years & years to search for anything. People also don't seem to know about astroturfing. Seriously, I used to think I was smart by going to some product-review site, but it turned out that those review sites were also propped up by those selling their product, and, like Wolfsinger described, getting the real review-information was apparently buried down like at least sixty pages down exposing the product/company as a scam... I actually wasn't privvy back then to the deceptive practice of social-engineering via astro-turfing... a method used to convince you to buy into their product or information... (and there was a very interesting book I read long ago authored by Margaret Thaler Singer titled... Cults in Our Mindst: The Hidden Menace in Our Everyday Lives). According to that book on cults, apparently, even Presidents aren't immune to falling prey to cult-influence, not to scare anyone or anything (even though All Hallow's Eve is nearing).

Lastly, I always found it a bizarre use of one's logical-faculties that, just because some information came from one particular source or another, that it automatically becomes true or false just because the source said so. Let's put it another way : Well, what is quoted in this thread's title is one thing, but can it also not be said that... «Anybody can read a book and say that it's true» or «Anybody can go to the library and say it's true» or how about even «Anybody can watch something on TV and say it's true» and maybe we could even take it so far as to claim that «Mr. X said it so it must be true» (appeal-to-authority fallacy) but if the same thing were said by Mr. Y and the masses like Mr. X but not Mr. Y they would end up saying «Mr. Y said it so it can't possibly be true (reverse-appeal-to-authority fallacy as-if who said a particular thing makes it true or not [«Mr. X said that 2+2 = 5 so it must be true because he said it !» in contrast to «Mr. Y said that 2+2=4 so we know that it's false to claim that 2+2=4 because he said it!»]). I once had some neighbours who said that their grandma was always right... always (and it turned out that she wasn't wrong on anything that I tested her on either [home-schooling FTW!]).
    Wolfsinger