Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Just Read

EdmundSevenEdmundSeven
Mabinogi Rep: 100
in General Chat
Hello, I am a returning player I played back in 07-09 when I first started within a month I was addicted in a way. I'd go do dungeons with friends, I'd spend hours building up my character & skills, I would go even Hunt for uniques & of course probably the biggest one, I would go an Make New Friends..
Since I have returned literally last week I have found that the Social aspect has been taken away from this game all I see when I walk around ch1 Dunbarton all I see are lifeless characters every other channel is a absolute ghost town.. An of course, it was heart wrenching to see what this game has become, as the player=base has decreased beyond what I ever thought it would
Personally if I was the person calling the shots
I would say ''This game needs a full Rework Graphically & more content''
this game back in the day was light years ahead of its time I know a ''Graphic rework'' costs money, but I really think that this could be the MMORPG
of the year if that measure was taken
I do not understand why nexon doesn't wanna take that leap, I know the player base would grow an I do understand there is players that love how mabinogi is now, but it could be So much more an I hope this gets attention cause I at the least wanna know why, why nexon is literally letting this game die :(
also I know profit is of course a concern but the players this was a lot of peoples child hood, an before long I know Mabinogi will be gone.

Comments

• FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    In 07-09, a lot more players were kids and teens that had more free time to spend. Much of the playerbase consists of adults now, supposedly with adult responsibilities that supposedly equate to less time. Supposedly. You see AFK players because the events encourage players to stay online to reap rewards instead of something more productive. It's an issue that's been argued against for years, but I'm thinking it's an attempt to cater to the passive players, something the game has a lot of.
    Pair that with the fact that this gaming model isn't exactly appealing to most outside of East Asia (especially in today's gaming age) and you'll naturally have a playerbase of old, tired vets. This is an issue other games in the same category are suffering from as well.

A graphical rework wouldn't hide all the other glaring issues the game faces. It wouldn't exactly encourage more players to actually stick around, either because you can have a pretty-looking game that is still... ... ... ... ... ...
    Let's just say underneath the fluff, it'd still be "same old Mabi" at the end of the day.
    More modernized graphics to compete with today's standard of 3D gaming (which would supposedly appeal to more people?) would require a more modernized engine; something Pleione is not, and that would likely require building a whole new game from the ground up. There's too much invested in this one at this point to justify it right now. There's enough South Koreans (the originators) who still love this game, so devCat/Nexon isn't convinced that they need to rush to straighten up the graphics tomorrow.
    There is an update that enhances the first three Gens a bit, but... at this point I dunno when it's coming here. South Korea released it prior to G25, and this server already has G25 now.

more content? In terms of content, since you last played in 09(?) or so there has been numerous things added in. Have you bothered to go through them? 0.o

Look,
    put yourself out there if you want to talk to other players. You won't get anywhere if you gawk at the statues lying around.
    There's typically somebody advertising that they're looking for peeps to play with across the channels. There's social guilds advertising that they're looking for players in game and here on these forums. There's an official Discord server and some unofficial ones as well. They get somewhere, so you can too, if you try.

Final point: What are the chances the author will visit these forums again? ...slim to none with the way these types of threads go. But maybe the person who finds this on Google at a later point in time will find something worthwhile in the responses.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Welcome back!
    They're all on discord now. I recommend joining a guild.
    This game's engine is too obsolete for an overhaul.
    I've done all the gens, you should catch up.
    The forums are obsolete plus a lot of the original dev staff are no longer around.
  • FloppedFlopped
    This game has gone to trash unfortunately.
    Recycled gacha/events/ideas. It is just now a gacha pool to see how much funds they can squeeze from a dying game.

This game had potential but unfortunately not in good hands.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Flopped wrote: »
    This game has gone to trash unfortunately.
    Recycled gacha/events/ideas. It is just now a gacha pool to see how much funds they can squeeze from a dying game.

This game had potential but unfortunately not in good hands.

Every year people say this game is dying and that they are gonna shut It down. 13 years later people are still saying this. I mean yeah eventually they will shut this game down. I just find it funny that people have been saying this for 13 years now. :D
  • Juliet1972Juliet1972
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,265
    Both of you are wrong and if Nexon hates Erinn THAT much, it will be an absolute tragedy...but let's be smart and keep supporting.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Ok JULIE.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    While I agree the game needs a graphical overhaul (and has needed it for years), I don't know if it'll ever happen. What always *does* seem to happen is that the devs start finding ways to sneak more polygons into the graphics. While it won't completely "fix" the visual look, at least characters have fingers now (Sometimes...) and at least some of the older areas finally have had their draw distance increased.

Honestly, I think we (and computers) are at the point where we can hit a compromise: The devs should go through all the existing models and just clean them up using the game engine as is. Yeah, it's old, but if homesteads are any indicator, most newer computers should handle whatever they can throw at it. Fix shoulders on any models where they are detached (like was done for Grace Shawl years ago), add geometry to older outfits, add "fingered" hands to all gloves that don't yet have them, fix feet models (they're ugly), find some way of making "moving" hair for more than a couple gacha wigs, give homesteads better "backdrops", re-do the interior of older buildings, allow Iria-grade draw distance in all old zones, add hills/terrain and remove the old textured backdrops in older areas, etc.

Also, while not a graphical update, they could stand to do some "spring cleaning" on some of the older content. Does age-locked clothing really serve a purpose these days? How about NPC secret shops? What purpose do they serve in the current days other than forcing newbies to consult a wiki? While I get the idea of earning an NPC's friendship, the implementation is and always was terrible. You bribe your way to temporary friendship. It'd make more sense if the NPC let on that they had "hidden" items in the shop, and that the player could do some kind of daily quests or chats or something to earn an NPC's friendship, and then keep it once earned. (I'm thinking similar to partner characters.)
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Policroma wrote: »
    While I agree the game needs a graphical overhaul (and has needed it for years), I don't know if it'll ever happen. What always *does* seem to happen is that the devs start finding ways to sneak more polygons into the graphics. While it won't completely "fix" the visual look, at least characters have fingers now (Sometimes...) and at least some of the older areas finally have had their draw distance increased.

Honestly, I think we (and computers) are at the point where we can hit a compromise: The devs should go through all the existing models and just clean them up using the game engine as is. Yeah, it's old, but if homesteads are any indicator, most newer computers should handle whatever they can throw at it. Fix shoulders on any models where they are detached (like was done for Grace Shawl years ago), add geometry to older outfits, add "fingered" hands to all gloves that don't yet have them, fix feet models (they're ugly), find some way of making "moving" hair for more than a couple gacha wigs, give homesteads better "backdrops", re-do the interior of older buildings, allow Iria-grade draw distance in all old zones, add hills/terrain and remove the old textured backdrops in older areas, etc.

Also, while not a graphical update, they could stand to do some "spring cleaning" on some of the older content. Does age-locked clothing really serve a purpose these days? How about NPC secret shops? What purpose do they serve in the current days other than forcing newbies to consult a wiki? While I get the idea of earning an NPC's friendship, the implementation is and always was terrible. You bribe your way to temporary friendship. It'd make more sense if the NPC let on that they had "hidden" items in the shop, and that the player could do some kind of daily quests or chats or something to earn an NPC's friendship, and then keep it once earned. (I'm thinking similar to partner characters.)

As someone struggling with the whole 'secret shop' thing on my new char (Particularly cause cooking....that introduced me to the kitchen dungeon finally....I've found my new least favorite thing in Mabi XD) I agree whole-heartedly to this. Either dumping gifts on them or forking out money for the likeability potions for a limited-time shop is a hassle and pain that just feels so....stupid. The early Harvest Moon games did it better, lol. A quest or something would be so much better, and probably more fun honestly.

Hopefully they'll get to that point with the graphics. I don't know they'll spend time on the old stuff, but who knows. We have seen a couple things adjusted, maybe we'll get lucky and see the day we all have five fingers and homestead backdrops that don't look like we live in an actual desert regardless of where one chose to set up shop.
  • PectylPectyl
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,715
    edited May 11, 2021
    Hello, I am a returning player I played back in 07-09 when I first started within a month I was addicted in a way. I'd go do dungeons with friends, I'd spend hours building up my character & skills, I would go even Hunt for uniques & of course probably the biggest one, I would go an Make New Friends..
    Since I have returned literally last week I have found that the Social aspect has been taken away from this game all I see when I walk around ch1 Dunbarton all I see are lifeless characters every other channel is a absolute ghost town.. An of course, it was heart wrenching to see what this game has become, as the player=base has decreased beyond what I ever thought it would
    Personally if I was the person calling the shots
    I would say ''This game needs a full Rework Graphically & more content''
    this game back in the day was light years ahead of its time I know a ''Graphic rework'' costs money, but I really think that this could be the MMORPG
    of the year if that measure was taken
    I do not understand why nexon doesn't wanna take that leap, I know the player base would grow an I do understand there is players that love how mabinogi is now, but it could be So much more an I hope this gets attention cause I at the least wanna know why, why nexon is literally letting this game die :(
    also I know profit is of course a concern but the players this was a lot of peoples child hood, an before long I know Mabinogi will be gone.

First of all welcome back, Secondly this is very normal for any mmorpg and especially since you been away for this long, populations will decrease over time and this goes double for a game like Mabinogi which isn't being advertised anymore, nor have had any game trailers since 2015 (and what a trailer that was)

The Pleione engine (which Mabinogi runs on) is metaphorically held by duct tape and glue at this point, While I agree that they could go the World Of Warcraft way and rework all the older content to make it more pleasing to the eyes Nexon chose instead to have these changes locked behind loot boxes.

Mabinogi is a unique take on the mmorpg genre for sure and much of that unique gameplay has not been replicated yet, however Mabinogi is also owned by Nexon unfortunately.

I been asking the same question for years myself, But the hard truth is that all free to play mmorpg's are headed for a collision course forward self destruction the minute they are released for the public, the problem is often not the games but there publishers, Nexon cares about one thing and one thing only: Money and will disregard most of what the players want or the game needs in their pursuit for money, it's all about short term gains and has always been the case with this game, Many people have quit because they got tired of pointing out the games flaws and once in a long while they throw us a bone to make it seem like they are doing something when in reality most of the tweaks and changes are around the edges.

However don't let any of this stop you from enjoying the game, Mabinogi has plenty to offer even if you decide not to pay for anything, But I personally suggest not going too deep into the game as there is a paywall and the game can be very grindy.