Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Together in Erinn

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited March 26, 2022
    Helsa wrote: »
    No, I'm pretty sure that's not gonna fix it. I've been to nearly dead channels and had lag issues... And I'm sure someone's gonna say "Get a better computer", so I'ma stop you right there. I've known people with better technology that have had the same problems. Shouldn't need high end technology to run something like Mabi anyway. (As much as I love Mabi, it's true)

If you get lag on dead channels, then that's an entirely different kettle of fish, and not something related to having or not having a merge.

I don't know if you're on WIFI or not but if you are, a cabled connexion to your router is faster and, for what it's worth, more secure. I assume you've also already gone through your 'start up' list for extraneous crap?

I'm very well aware of my internet issues, but merging definitely won't help anything. More people = more lag. That's the point I'm trying to make. I can live with a little bit of lag, but not the lag this will bring.

I understand what you're saying but what I'm saying is unless we're talking about lag on a particular channel, typically channel 1 as it is the shopping channel on both servers, general lag is addressed with by adding channels. You said yourself that you avoid channel 1, so that kind of lag won't be anything new for you. While there may be additional general lag right after the merge as there was with Nao they will add channels and that will address it. If you get lag even now, even on dead channels, then that has nothing to do with how the player-base is forcibly distributed. Merge or non-merge has nothing to do with your lag problems.

Oh boy, this isn't going anywhere. I understand that they will add more channels, but you never know which channels are gonna get filled if more people flood in. Maybe there will be a channel that's not so crowded, sure, but the more people that come in, the more people to fill up different channels. I never denied my internet being a problem and even said I can live with a little bit of lag, but the more people that show up, the worse it gets. I don't mind being in channels that are kinda dead because of less lag, but who knows how many people will occupy a channel at any given time. I've been in dead channels that suddenly came to life. Just because a channel is dead, doesn't mean it'll stay that way. Anyway, I'm done beating a dead horse. Have a good one! :3

That's what I meant about per channel lag. The easiest way to tell if a channel is "bad" is if it's laggy. If it's laggy you move to another channel. If they are ALL laggy, then they are all laggy for everyone. If they are all laggy for everyone then Nexon adds more channels. If they have to keep doing that then it means that more people are joining the game. If more people are joining the game then that's a good thing. But if a channel is laggy for you but not for someone else then that's not Nexon's or a merge's or lack of merge's fault.

Hmm, it's almost like having separate servers for people to use would stop some of the lag. Like it would stop one server from getting too full of people. What a concept. They can keep making separate channels if they want, but that just seems like more work on them. I stand by my argument as I'm sure you'll stand by yours. They should just leave well enough alone.

We're both right in different senses. Where the merge will cause more lag is on the shopping channel which is channel 1 for both servers right now. This is because all those folks whose entire Mabinogi experience involves the thrill of buy low sell high spend their entire career there. Now there will be more of them stuffing into that channel. This is why I asked you, much earlier in the thread, if you spend your entire time on Channel 1.

On the other hand, overall lag will be unaffected once Nexon activates a sufficient number of channels for Erinn. At the moment, Nexon thinks 10 will be enough. Recall when they made Nao they thought that 7 would be enough. It wasn't so they had to add more. If the same kind of thing happens here then they will add more.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 26, 2022
    Valynt wrote: »
    I hope they reconsider the name change issue. Character names should take precedence over pet names. Apparently there is pet named Valynt on Nao. So my understanding of how the planned naming would work would mean that the character I play on Alexina would then be named Valynt+Alexina, while the pet on Nao will be remain being called Valynt. In my opinion, characters should retain their names before pets.

I understand no one will be happy with name changes, however I would think you would want to keep the names of active players while changing the names of pets and players who have not logged in in a significant amount of time.

In my situation my guild contains part of my characters name so it would be strange to have a guild owned by pet ... Valynthearts.

Hey Valley, if the scripts that will perform the merge can distinguish between a player character and a pet, and my gut says that they can, then they would be able to do that right now. The two main schemas discussed in this thread are either unfair to Alexina or unfair to Nao. I think your suggestion would make a fair compromise though. Unfortunately, they've already gone public and announced how priority will be set. This is all fixable though, but after-the-fact, and in Nexon's interest to do so.

Nonetheless, let me tag @Katherz as there is still time, and I'll summarize:
    Katherz, Valynt of Alexina is suggesting changing priority

1) Nao characters and pets
    2) Alexina characters and pets

to:
    1) Nao characters
    2) Alexina characters
    3) Nao Pets
    4) Alexina Pets

Does this seem like a fair compromise to you?
    Shakaya
  • MarsBarsFromTheStarsMarsBarsFromTheStars
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,000
    No, I'm pretty sure that's not gonna fix it. I've been to nearly dead channels and had lag issues... And I'm sure someone's gonna say "Get a better computer", so I'ma stop you right there. I've known people with better technology that have had the same problems. Shouldn't need high end technology to run something like Mabi anyway. (As much as I love Mabi, it's true)

If you get lag on dead channels, then that's an entirely different kettle of fish, and not something related to having or not having a merge.

I don't know if you're on WIFI or not but if you are, a cabled connexion to your router is faster and, for what it's worth, more secure. I assume you've also already gone through your 'start up' list for extraneous crap?

I'm very well aware of my internet issues, but merging definitely won't help anything. More people = more lag. That's the point I'm trying to make. I can live with a little bit of lag, but not the lag this will bring.

I understand what you're saying but what I'm saying is unless we're talking about lag on a particular channel, typically channel 1 as it is the shopping channel on both servers, general lag is addressed with by adding channels. You said yourself that you avoid channel 1, so that kind of lag won't be anything new for you. While there may be additional general lag right after the merge as there was with Nao they will add channels and that will address it. If you get lag even now, even on dead channels, then that has nothing to do with how the player-base is forcibly distributed. Merge or non-merge has nothing to do with your lag problems.

Oh boy, this isn't going anywhere. I understand that they will add more channels, but you never know which channels are gonna get filled if more people flood in. Maybe there will be a channel that's not so crowded, sure, but the more people that come in, the more people to fill up different channels. I never denied my internet being a problem and even said I can live with a little bit of lag, but the more people that show up, the worse it gets. I don't mind being in channels that are kinda dead because of less lag, but who knows how many people will occupy a channel at any given time. I've been in dead channels that suddenly came to life. Just because a channel is dead, doesn't mean it'll stay that way. Anyway, I'm done beating a dead horse. Have a good one! :3

That's what I meant about per channel lag. The easiest way to tell if a channel is "bad" is if it's laggy. If it's laggy you move to another channel. If they are ALL laggy, then they are all laggy for everyone. If they are all laggy for everyone then Nexon adds more channels. If they have to keep doing that then it means that more people are joining the game. If more people are joining the game then that's a good thing. But if a channel is laggy for you but not for someone else then that's not Nexon's or a merge's or lack of merge's fault.

Hmm, it's almost like having separate servers for people to use would stop some of the lag. Like it would stop one server from getting too full of people. What a concept. They can keep making separate channels if they want, but that just seems like more work on them. I stand by my argument as I'm sure you'll stand by yours. They should just leave well enough alone.

We're both right in different senses. Where the merge will cause more lag is on the shopping channel which is channel 1 for both servers right now. This is because all those folks whose entire Mabinogi experience involves the thrill of buy low sell high spend their entire career there. Now there will be more of them stuffing into that channel. This is why I asked you, much earlier in the thread, if you spend your entire time on Channel 1.

On the other hand, overall lag will be unaffected once Nexon activates a sufficient number of channels for Erinn. At the moment, Nexon thinks 10 will be enough. Recall when they made Nao they thought that 7 would be enough. It wasn't so they had to add more. If the same kind of thing happens here then they will add more.

Maybe that will work out, but I'm also worried about what other stuff Nexon will mess up. We already know Alexina is getting is getting the short end of the stick when it comes to names. It's really not fair that the Nao server isn't getting the same treatment. Make it fair or don't do it at all. People shouldn't have to lose their name, especially if they had it first or are more active than the person they lost it to. Nexon's really not making the right moves here. I also wonder how bad inflation is gonna be after this. I struggle to afford stuff as it is. It would be one thing if they would set a price cap on stuff, but they won't. I could see a rare item that you can't really get anymore or that is hard to obtain being super expensive, but when it's something you see ten of on the same page and then ten more of on the next, it's ridiculous. One thing Nexon did right was making the repairs cheaper, I'll give them that.
  • HelsaHelsa

Maybe that will work out, but I'm also worried about what other stuff Nexon will mess up. We already know Alexina is getting is getting the short end of the stick when it comes to names. It's really not fair that the Nao server isn't getting the same treatment. Make it fair or don't do it at all. People shouldn't have to lose their name, especially if they had it first or are more active than the person they lost it to. Nexon's really not making the right moves here. I also wonder how bad inflation is gonna be after this. I struggle to afford stuff as it is. It would be one thing if they would set a price cap on stuff, but they won't. I could see a rare item that you can't really get anymore or that is hard to obtain being super expensive, but when it's something you see ten of on the same page and then ten more of on the next, it's ridiculous. One thing Nexon did right was making the repairs cheaper, I'll give them that.

This time should go smoother because Nexon has already done it before. Anything that was unanticipated the first time is known, and the fixes for them are also known. Unfortunately for you Naowegians but fortunately for us Alexinans is that you guys were the guinea pigs for us the first time around and we all thank you for that, if belatedly.

There are actually some people here who think that the only reason the merge is happening is because somehow I personally argued and orated so well that I beguiled Nexon into it; horse####! I mean, I'm flattered and wish it were so; if I were old enough I'd run for President! The merge is happening because Nexon's accounting department told them to do it. It was a bottom-line issue. The merge that created Nao proved that Nexon was willing to merge. Until then it was not a certain thing. For example Mabi EU might have lasted longer if they had merged their two servers together. Instead they took channels away from their servers, as a cost saving measure, which caused the player base lose confidence. Even after that they could have merged the EU database into the NA one and they didn't. So, until the first merge happened it was an uncertainty. But it did happen; that and the fact that Alexina was bleeding out being clear only a few months afterwards made it clear to myself and others that a final merge here was inevitable. Again not because we whined about it but to save Nexon money.
    edited March 27, 2022

This time should go smoother because Nexon has already done it before. Anything that was unanticipated the first time is known, and the fixes for them are also known. Unfortunately for you Naowegians but fortunately for us Alexinans is that you guys were the guinea pigs for us the first time around and we all thank you for that, if belatedly.

There are actually some people here who think that the only reason the merge is happening is because somehow I personally argued and orated so well that I beguiled Nexon into it; horse####! I mean, I'm flattered and wish it were so; if I were old enough I'd run for President! The merge is happening because Nexon's accounting department told them to do it. It was a bottom-line issue. The merge that created Nao proved that Nexon was willing to merge. Until then it was not a certain thing. For example Mabi EU might have lasted longer if they had merged their two servers together. Instead they took channels away from their servers, as a cost saving measure, which caused the player base lose confidence. Even after that they could have merged the EU database into the NA one and they didn't. So, until the first merge happened it was an uncertainty. But it did happen; that and the fact that Alexina was bleeding out being clear only a few months afterwards made it clear to myself and others that a final merge here was inevitable. Again not because we whined about it but to save Nexon money.

Okay...? There are still people in Alexina, if you dare to look. I would know, because I'm on the Alexina server as well. I've seen much deader games than Mabi, and I know Nexon is a greedy corporation. That was predictable that you would eventually pull the "Mabi is dead card". I was waiting for it, actually. I like how you really didn't even address anything else in my argument. That really tells me all I need to know. You sound like you need to get over yourself with your not-so-humble bragging at the beginning. Have a nice life.
  • HelsaHelsa

Okay...? There are still people in Alexina, if you dare to look. I would know, because I'm on the Alexina server as well. I've seen much deader games than Mabi, and I know Nexon is a greedy corporation. That was predictable that you would eventually pull the "Mabi is dead card". I was waiting for it, actually. I like how you really didn't even address anything else in my argument. That really tells me all I need to know. You sound like you need to get over yourself with your not-so-humble bragging at the beginning. Have a nice life.

Yes, there are still people there but there aren't enough anymore to make the cost, to Nexon, of maintaining Alexina as a separate entity, worth it to them. Alexina no longer meets Nexon's expected rate of return. I didn't discuss your concerns about in-game inflation because, next to the real-world cost to Nexon of maintaining the Alexina player-base in it's current form, they are irrelevant. It seems like now you're getting upset as you're using personal slights about my personal character and treating this as some kind of contest rather than a discussion. How about we leave that kind of thing out of this.

Yes, there are still people there but there aren't enough anymore to make the cost, to Nexon, of maintaining Alexina as a separate entity, worth it to them. Alexina no longer meets Nexon's expected rate of return. I didn't discuss your concerns about in-game inflation because, next to the real-world cost to Nexon of maintaining the Alexina player-base in it's current form, they are irrelevant. It seems like now you're getting upset as you're using personal slights about my personal character and treating this as some kind of contest rather than a discussion. How about we leave that kind of thing out of this.

Not trying to make this a competition at all and calling someone's opinion irrelevant because it doesn't match your own really doesn't make you look so good either. I may not agree with the merge, but I never said your thoughts were irrelevant. We all have differing opinions. I was just going to leave my comment about how I'm not happy about the merge and be done with it, but then you replied. This is a forum, people will share differing opinions, I can respect that, but don't come at someone if you're not expecting them to say how they feel on the matter. You're the one who put yourself in that position by saying that stuff at the beginning, I never blamed you for the merge, but you felt the need to put that there, so I told you how I felt about it. My intention was not to harm, but to humble.
  • DevotionDevotion
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,395
    edited March 27, 2022

Nonetheless, let me tag @Katherz as there is still time, and I'll summarize:
    Katherz, Valynt of Alexina is suggesting changing priority

1) Nao characters and pets
    2) Alexina characters and pets

to:
    1) Nao characters
    2) Alexina characters
    3) Nao Pets
    4) Alexina Pets

Does this seem like a fair compromise to you?

This should be agreeable to everyone. I would think almost everyone on Nao would let their pet be tagged so that an Alexinian main character can keep their name (I hope :I).

We really need this to happen ^^!

After this, the issue of tagged pets should be addressed so that we can rename our pets on either a separate naming pool or different naming system. If there is a strong push for this, Nao-players who paid for medals to remove + tags will be more accepting for the above-mentioned priority change.

I'd even agree to having all pet names deleted so Alexinians can keep their character names, but that's just me :d

img]
    Musicat
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 27, 2022

Not trying to make this a competition at all and calling someone's opinion irrelevant because it doesn't match your own really doesn't make you look so good either. I may not agree with the merge, but I never said your thoughts were irrelevant. We all have differing opinions. I was just going to leave my comment about how I'm not happy about the merge and be done with it, but then you replied. This is a forum, people will share differing opinions, I can respect that, but don't come at someone if you're not expecting them to say how they feel on the matter. You're the one who put yourself in that position by saying that stuff at the beginning, I never blamed you for the merge, but you felt the need to put that there, so I told you how I felt about it. My intention was not to harm, but to humble.

I understand that inflation is important to you, but it's was not for Nexon's decision process to go ahead with the merge. The point about being blamed for the merge was not to accuse you for doing so. It was part of the point to illustrate another reason that the reason for the merge was a cost saving action on Nexon's part rather than responding to complaints from the player-base. All of that was part of the larger point of why some of us felt that the final merge was inevitable.

I'm not going to get into pointing out the examples where my character was being called into question as that is a distraction from the main discussion.

I understand that inflation is important to you, but it's was not for Nexon's decision process to go ahead with the merge. The point about being blamed for the merge was not to accuse you for doing so. It was part of the point to illustrate another reason that the reason for the merge was a cost saving action on Nexon's part rather than responding to complaints from the player-base. All of that was part of the larger point of why some of us felt that the final merge was inevitable.

I'm not going to get into pointing out the examples where my character was being called into question as that is a distraction from the main discussion.

I will apologize if I did sound out of line. I'm sure Nexon, however, is not exactly hurting for cash, there's so many gacha items in the AH, it's not even funny, so to say this is because they're trying to cut costs just makes them look cheap. I'm not really surprised, it is Nexon, after all, but they're gonna hurt themselves more in the long run if they keep doing stuff like this. If they're really worried about money, doing stuff like this won't help. Maybe this will bring new life to Mabi. Maybe it'll ruin everything, but I've seen a lot of unhappy players who are against the merge that are thinking of quitting. So Mabi's going to lose people either way, whether they merge or not, which will lose Nexon money.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 27, 2022

I will apologize if I did sound out of line. I'm sure Nexon, however, is not exactly hurting for cash, there's so many gacha items in the AH, it's not even funny, so to say this is because they're trying to cut costs just makes them look cheap. I'm not really surprised, it is Nexon, after all, but they're gonna hurt themselves more in the long run if they keep doing stuff like this. If they're really worried about money, doing stuff like this won't help. Maybe this will bring new life to Mabi. Maybe it'll ruin everything, but I've seen a lot of unhappy players who are against the merge that are thinking of quitting. So Mabi's going to lose people either way, whether they merge or not, which will lose Nexon money.

Okay, fair enough; shake! Nexon has a ton of money. It's founder died recently, unexpectedly; at the age of 53. His Wikipedia article stated that he was the third richest Korean in the world and that Nexon is the largest software company in Korea. They'll never admit it but Nexon doesn't mind in-game inflation because it makes buying from the Web Shop more attractive than the auction house. Their recent decision to cut repair costs reduced one of the biggest gold sinks in the game. That's not gonna help reduce inflation. Although doing well financially, all companies are always looking at costs. Take Apple, for instance, they're the worlds first trillion-dollar company and their stuff is made in sweat shops to save costs.

Profits are maximized by either adding positives or eliminating negatives. A merge is more likely to be an eliminate negatives kind of thing. Remember, that Tarlach, Ruairi, and Mari were left to rot on the vine for ten years. During that time, some folks gave up on the game, some toughed it out, and the rest moved to Alexina. When they made Nao some of the folks that had given up on the game came back, but some didn't. Unfortunately, the ones that moved to Alexina, moved back. Nexon didn't count on that. So, Alexina was left to rot on the vine. Some folks gave up on the game, some (like you and I) toughed it out (sorry about earlier I had assumed you were Naowegian, my bad), and the rest moved back. With this merge some will come back.

If it had all been one server from the get-go, and it could have been, then none of the folks that left for servers being "dead" would have left for servers being dead. The thing is the main reason for the merge is actually not to stop the bleeding, it was just to save costs. Mabi EU tried getting rid of channels. It had the opposite effect. Mabi NA is trying merging. Most folks on Nao seem to be pretty happy with their situation. That would suggest that merging is the better option of the two.

Okay, fair enough; shake! Nexon has a ton of money. It's founder died recently, unexpectedly; at the age of 53. His Wikipedia article stated that he was the third richest Korean in the world and that Nexon is the largest software company in Korea. They'll never admit it but Nexon doesn't mind in-game inflation because it makes buying from the Web Shop more attractive than the auction house. Their recent decision to cut repair costs reduced one of the biggest gold sinks in the game. That's not gonna help reduce inflation. Although doing well financially, all companies are always looking at costs. Take Apple, for instance, they're the worlds first trillion-dollar company and their stuff is made in sweat shops to save costs.

Profits are maximized by either adding positives or eliminating negatives. A merge is more likely to be an eliminate negatives kind of thing. Remember, that Tarlach, Ruairi, and Mari were left to rot on the vine for ten years. During that time, some folks gave up on the game, some toughed it out, and the rest moved to Alexina. When they made Nao some of the folks that had given up on the game came back, but some didn't. Unfortunately, the ones that moved to Alexina, moved back. Nexon didn't count on that. So, Alexina was left to rot on the vine. Some folks gave up on the game, some (like you and I) toughed it out (sorry about earlier I had assumed you were Naowegian, my bad), and the rest moved back. With this merge some will come back.

If it had all been one server from the get-go, and it could have been, then none of the folks that left for servers being "dead" would have left for servers being dead. The thing is the main reason for the merge is actually not to stop the bleeding, it was just to save costs. Mabi EU tried getting rid of channels. It had the opposite effect. Mabi NA is trying merging. Most folks on Nao seem to be pretty happy with their situation. That would suggest that merging is the better option of the two.

Man, I had no idea the founder passed away. I could believe it about them not caring about the inflation for those reasons. Such a big corporation thing to do and also, because Nexon. I really do hope that Mabi doesn't suffer from this, but if they do their players dirty, there's bound to be backlash and I wholeheartedly understand why the players would be upset. I know there's absolutely nothing I can do to stop this merge. Nothing any of us can do, really, so I hope it all works out, but I'm not expecting much. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
  • MusicatMusicat
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,320
    Two hotties from Cor Village are arguing. Will there even be an end? Are they fighting for territory like cats?
    The Meow thinks both of your initial statements were right.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 27, 2022

Man, I had no idea the founder passed away. I could believe it about them not caring about the inflation for those reasons. Such a big corporation thing to do and also, because Nexon. I really do hope that Mabi doesn't suffer from this, but if they do their players dirty, there's bound to be backlash and I wholeheartedly understand why the players would be upset. I know there's absolutely nothing I can do to stop this merge. Nothing any of us can do, really, so I hope it all works out, but I'm not expecting much. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Most Naowegians seem to now be glad that their merge happened, if that offers any comfort.
    Sherri
  • HelsaHelsa
    Musicat wrote: »
    Two hotties from Cor Village are arguing. Will there even be an end? Are they fighting for territory like cats?
    The Meow thinks both of your initial statements were right.

And where's your avatar from?
    Musicat

Most Naowegians seem to now be glad that their merge happened, if that offers any comfort.

I suppose. Won't know for sure until it happens, though.

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    This is the most activity this forum has seen in a while. :D
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 28, 2022
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    This is the most activity this forum has seen in a while. :D

Gee, I wonder why? Of all the conflicts on these forums, the merge has been the longest and the most emotional. Since it is a zero-sum situation, those who opposed it are left unsatisfied with their only hope for relief being that perhaps they might've been wrong; that's a very bitter pill to swallow. While I don't agree with them I do understand their pain, which is why I have tried to avoid gloating and crowing about it.
  • ShakayaShakaya
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,075
    I'm glad another merge is happening! I'm happy to make more new friends again!

And I hope Nexon can come up with a fair name solution for everyone, even if it's patched in later. I really wouldn't mind if my pets got +Nao tags on them. I kept the +Tarlach tag on the pets that got it. People's mains should be taking first priority.

Anyways, I just wanted to say welcome to Alexinans that get to come join us now! I'm excited to meet you in-game! :D
    DevotionMusicat
  • HelsaHelsa
    Shakaya wrote: »
    I'm glad another merge is happening! I'm happy to make more new friends again!

And I hope Nexon can come up with a fair name solution for everyone, even if it's patched in later. I really wouldn't mind if my pets got +Nao tags on them. I kept the +Tarlach tag on the pets that got it. People's mains should be taking first priority.

Anyways, I just wanted to say welcome to Alexinans that get to come join us now! I'm excited to meet you in-game! :D

Awesome, and that's very kind of you to offer. I know @Valynt, whom posted earlier in the thread, would be appreciative of the sentiment. Unfortunately, Nexon has already announced the order of priority, so changing it after-the-fact might be politically difficult.

Anyway, if you want to meet me, I'll be found at the Pokeodrome, or as they say on Nao, Poikodrome.
    ShakayaMusicat