Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi Direct Launch Ending March 16th

SaygoSaygo
Mabinogi Rep: 6,265
in Vault
Please be aware that on Thursday, March 16th, as part of a scheduled maintenance, we will be discontinuing the ability to directly launch the Mabinogi client via the Mabinogi.exe file within your Mabinogi game folder.

We are fully focusing on Nexon Launcher as the means to download and update most of our games going forward. Nexon Launcher is a unified central location for accessing all of Nexon's games. It automatically keeps your game client up-to-date by updating in the background, even if you're playing Mabinogi or another Nexon game.

The majority of our players are already using Nexon Launcher, and by discontinuing the older systems including direct launch, we will be able to focus our attention on making improvements to Nexon Launcher and providing a smoother patch experience for all of our upcoming updates.

00J3T-c5f875c0-d8d2-4fe1-b3f5-99998943e887.jpg

More info here: http://mabinogi.nexon.net/News/Announcements/1/00J3T
KororeAmyyGretaSherriIyasenuVitolan

Comments

• ZarricZarric
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,510
    So from this post here:
    http://mabinogi.nexon.net/News/All/1/00J3T/mabinogi-direct-launch-ending-march-16th

So that means we won't be able to continue the use of our old exe method from my understanding. That also makes me assume we can't update out client via that after the date, which if is the case makes me quite upset.

I don't want to use the nexon launcher. Period.

What's wrong with keeping it open as an option for those who do use it, and why do this now? I don't care about it being "smoother" in the future, I just know it's caused trouble previously and that's an issue I'd rather not face. Also why "fix" something that's not broken so to speak.
  • ZerukanZerukan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,280
    edited March 1, 2017
    You could get Mabinogi on steam since that's an alternative option if you don't want to use the launcher.

Personally, I really don't understand all the hatred towards the Nexon Launcher. All I really see about it is people complaining they don't want to use it and their argument simply boils down to 'because it's different/new'. Though, since I haven't experienced any problems with the launcher myself I don't know what kind of issues other people may have experienced.
    Regardless of that though, I still fail to see why so many people hate and simply refuse to use the launcher.

*Edit* I should add in though I don't see why they need to remove the direct launcher either since people are used to that. It doesn't sound like it's really going to benefit anything by removing it?
    Brightheart
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    I used the Nexon launcher once and wasn't a fan... It went kinda slow for me if I remember correctly. I'm gonna give it another try and if not I guess I'll start using Steam to launch. I wish we didn't have to do this either, I like launching it right from my desktop :/
    ZarricKryo
  • ZarricZarric
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,510
    edited March 1, 2017
    If I can't use the current launching method after that happens, I will likely switch over to steam again.

But yes, there was issues that kept users from being able to even get online in the past, so my friends that use it had to use the exe to get past the issue.
    It's stuff like that which complicates things and I'd rather not run into it if it can be avoided.
    That and I heard it's slower at patching, which can be an issue as well.

Also this
    I wish we didn't have to do this either, I like launching it right from my desktop :/
    badnewsbarrett
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Zerukan wrote: »
    Regardless of that though, I still fail to see why so many people hate and simply refuse to use the launcher.

The only excuses for hating it that I've heard boil down to two things:
    1) It's slow
    2) It's """"bloatware""""
    I've never had 1 happen to me, and 2 is just a disgusting misuse of the term. The launcher is small and doesn't install things unless you tell it to. I personally see no reason to hate it, but as you said it's something new and people hate change.
    ZerukanGreta
  • KororeKorore
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,765
    I actually love using Nexon Launcher. It always keeps you logged in which I find convenient (for me).

I like being able to have all my games right there and with a click of the mouse I'm in game.
    GretaSherri
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Zerukan wrote: »

The only excuses for hating it that I've heard boil down to two things:
    1) It's slow
    2) It's """"bloatware""""
    I've never had 1 happen to me, and 2 is just a disgusting misuse of the term. The launcher is small and doesn't install things unless you tell it to. I personally see no reason to hate it, but as you said it's something new and people hate change.

I can confirm it's slow, though I think that's more of an issue for older laptops or people whose internet isn't the best. Like I've tried using it on my old Dell laptop and I think at one point it would take like an hour to update Mabi and launch... Wasn't fun :/ My laptop now, can't remember if I ever used the Launcher on it or not.
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    i use the nexon launcher, its goddy, - and has to many basic issues.

-the start buttons will disappear as a issue from staying logged in to long. and you'll need to relog back in. (so right their "staying logged in" isn't really convenient)
    -if you exit the game the launcher will still say your in game.
    -theirs plenty of lil issues preventing it from being a smooth start button. which is funny.... (cause thats all its supposed to be)
    -its also never updates with the latest events in time. so the whole having this dialogue menu thing, showing all the cool things happening, pretty useless too...
    -sometimes clicking it wont even make it start up...(the launcher itself)
    - my friend also has these issues as well,... hopefully when they make it launcher only, they save the trouble, and fix these lil inconveniences, before ppl have to actually tell them to....
    (this could just be me and my freinds end, but not knowing a lot of ppl who use it....not really anyone i can talk to- to get their side)
    badnewsbarrettImaizumiNekoLilyBrightheartFelice
  • ROan2011ROan2011
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,470
    I have had Nexon launcher installed since Riders of Icarus beta, but have been only launching Mainogi by the exe. I do not get the option to import my current install of Mabinogi over. My launcher is on my G drive, while my installation of Mabinogi on my F drive.
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    @Nexon Staff:
    Can you modify the launcher to close automatically when a game is selected?

I use direct launch now to avoid my game from closing due to client taking up 3 GB or more of physical memory. With the client and launcher are open I crash more often which is why I have been avoiding it. I am a little disappointed that the launcher will be the only want to open the game, however if it can be changed to close the launcher program after the game launch begins I think it will resolve the problem of the client and launcher using too much memory together making the game unable to open. I never understood why we need an additional program to open the game in the first place.

Steam allows for you to open game from their interface or from a icon created to open the game directly so i wish this option was available to us for Mabinogi. I don't have another other games by Nexon so I'm not sure why the launcher is necessary.

IGN: Samuelalex
    Server: Mari
    Imaizumi
  • Eureka12Eureka12
    Mabinogi Rep: 955
    edited March 1, 2017
    Let's add that to the fact some people have multiple accounts. So, that's already inconvenient for them. I do hope they can fix that problem where everyone is comfortable to use.
    Shoog[Deleted User]DaktaroGreta
  • RomzieRomzie
    Mabinogi Rep: 760
    I'm hearing a lot of people saying steam will be a working alternative to this Nexon launcher, I sure hope you all are right.

The only issue I have with the switch is that I am really tired of every company trying to make their own launcher for their games. This leaves me with tons of desktop icons in order for me to access Steam, Origin, Uplay, Epic Games, Battle.net, and then there's games that don't have any association to a launcher such as Minecraft or Guild Wars 2. It's obviously very frustrating to have to go through 3-4 different launchers to play 3-4 different games. Not to mention most launchers have background processes too, which I'm sure Nexon will be doing this practice as well.

Of course my argument is completely obsolete if launching Nexon games via steam is still available, which it seems to be that it is. I just wanna throw my hissy fit so I can feel just that much better about myself.
    badnewsbarrettKryoNekoLilyBrightheartHiroki05
  • ROan2011ROan2011
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,470
    I cannot get the launcher to import my current install. I have mabi on my F drive (use to install game on) and my launcher on my G drive (older drive i've recently been using for all my games)
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    "stay logged in 36 minutes to earn X reward .... only can use nexon launcher soon"

are they trying to weed out people who use multi accounts?
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    Korore wrote: »
    I actually love using Nexon Launcher. It always keeps you logged in which I find convenient (for me).

I like being able to have all my games right there and with a click of the mouse I'm in game.

steam does this too
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    This is hilarious coming from that launcher news rarely ever being updated with recent sales and updates. As if Nexon can maintain it properly....
  • Jag272Jag272
    Mabinogi Rep: 630
    Not at all a fan of the nexon launcher personally, as i find I have to reinstall it frequently as it just stops booting seemingly at random, it will show up in task manager and then just disappear unless i reinstall or delete some of the launcher's data for it to repatch.

At the very least, the launcher should work properly before you force it, potentially locking people out of the game entirely. While I appreciate it works for most people, there are plenty of people in Mabinogi related discords as well as online with a quick google search reporting various errors including my own. It is even more troublesome that as a player from the UK, steam is not an option since Mabinogi does not exist on the European Steam Store.

Might we see the steam issue rectified as part of the Nexon Global merger?
  • CarlizeCarlize
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,840
    I use steam launcher and love it, but I know some people have trouble with lag using it. This may be a bit of an aside, but anyone who hasn't linked their Mabi to Steam really should, even if you never intend to use it through steam. I've heard of someone who got hacked and lost their account because the hacker linked it to another Steam, and there was nothing Nexon could do about it.
    Brightheart
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Korore wrote: »

You can do that with Steam too.

I just hope they don't take that away. I know that they hate dealing with players when transactions screw up because of Steam. Steam tosses you to Nexon, Nexon tosses you back to Steam, potential charge backs, messy. I mean I like selling trading cards and getting a little bit back for my Nx purchases. But I will tell you when the system hiccups I start nail biting.

Regardless though it's still a convenient hub.
    Helsa
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    edited March 1, 2017
    Romzie wrote: »
    The only issue I have with the switch is that I am really tired of every company trying to make their own launcher for their games. This leaves me with tons of desktop icons in order for me to access Steam, Origin, Uplay, Epic Games, Battle.net, and then there's games that don't have any association to a launcher such as Minecraft or Guild Wars 2. It's obviously very frustrating to have to go through 3-4 different launchers to play 3-4 different games. Not to mention most launchers have background processes too, which I'm sure Nexon will be doing this practice as well.

Welcome to the way PC gaming has worked since at least 2010. You can easily nuke the background processes with task manager and command prompt when you're done using the launcher if you need to free up processing power.
    Jag272 wrote: »
    Not at all a fan of the nexon launcher personally, as i find I have to reinstall it frequently as it just stops booting seemingly at random, it will show up in task manager and then just disappear unless i reinstall or delete some of the launcher's data for it to repatch.

Have you restarted your computer instead of reinstalling the launcher entirely?