Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Great Era of Commerce Part 2 Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/75598/great-era-of-commerce-part-2-patch-notes-july-28th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

March Update!

Comments

  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    Posts: 887
    Member
    SirRyu wrote: »
    Xiokun wrote: »
    SirRyu wrote: »
    Honestly if you really want to be accurate giants are the top race with limited downsides.

    Can you keep the race debate in the race debate thread? (I cut down the quote so it's not a big long box. This wasn't directed just to you Leinei, it was to everyone talking about it.)

    It's not exactly off topic in a topic about the March update which main focus is the new skills which are different for each race.

    Alright. I was just concerned it would escalate into becoming a race imbalance debate or argument like the last threads.
    (Also I'm sorry for calling you Leinei... your icons are the same and I just assumed you were him. This is why we need to get different icons sooner than anything. x_x)
  • darkchaos125darkchaos125
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,165
    Posts: 44
    Member
    edited March 10, 2017
    Oh this update now......sighs

    Why is it that humans are the only ones with the speed buff? I think all races are in much need of a speed movement buff, whether default movement speed or active/passive skills (passive would be nice)

    Trolls will be happy to know that they can now camp via crazy-leg techniques.
    Not to be mean or anything but it kind of feels like elves got the short end of the stick in terms of having a cool upgrade ;-;. Feels like it'll be an archery only type of perk which would really suck. Please tell me that I'm wrong D:!

    By "volley of rapid attacks" I'm kinda hoping for some dps potential to help us keep up in dungeons/SMs/with FH but I definitely won't be holding my breath


    To be fair I think, despite that some of us want elves and/or archery to be better, anything further would just make elves seem a lil op in the long run.

    It feels like a decade since anything major has been added x.x
  • kuronogamikuronogami
    Mabinogi Rep: 750
    Posts: 6
    Member
    Not a lot of people seem to be aware of this but... the new korean director (now nearly a year old) has already stated he isn't over worried if things are over powered. He said since mabinogi has so much and that it's not really a competitive game theres no point in stressing out about balancing everything.
    badnewsbarrett
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    Posts: 617
    Member
    edited March 11, 2017
    kuronogami wrote: »
    Not a lot of people seem to be aware of this but... the new korean director (now nearly a year old) has already stated he isn't over worried if things are over powered. He said since mabinogi has so much and that it's not really a competitive game theres no point in stressing out about balancing everything.

    Source?
    Anyways, IF this is true; This would be one of the reasons I would love to see them implement a race change card/potion/option.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,015
    Posts: 2,440
    Member
    edited March 11, 2017
    Wait, we got a new Director again? Were they responsible for G20 or was that the last one?

    @Xiokun Lol, yeah I've seen a few peeps use Meryl's icon other than me. I wish they'd bring back the feature where you can upload your own icons... -_-
  • kuronogamikuronogami
    Mabinogi Rep: 750
    Posts: 6
    Member
    Leinei wrote: »
    Wait, we got a new Director again? Were they responsible for G20 or was that the last one?

    @Xiokun Lol, yeah I've seen a few peeps use Meryl's icon other than me. I wish they'd bring back the feature where you can upload your own icons... -_-

    Up to g20 was done by the old directors plans but the new direct started around g20 time. The first content done by the new direct was the Phantasm update.

    He said he wanted to update and bring old content back to life (ps this is how you actually save a game in game dev) but stated there was a lot of issues since a lot of the mabinogi team didn't know the code in and out due to the game changing staff over time. He also mentioned dungeon updates (which we got ofc) and talked about playing the end chest drops (which we got) and seemingly hesitantly mentioned he would like to be able to revamp egos however said that the code is such a mess/unknown that doing so could break a lot of things and this has been their main trouble in revamping systems.

    It seems I mis remembered about the balancing thing when he said that he was talking towards PVP not necessarily PVE.

    AeolysHiroki05
  • tachiorztachiorz
    Mabinogi Rep: 435
    Posts: 11
    Member
    Game had 7 directors, last one was director of Nexus: The Kingdom of the Winds apparently
    https://namu.wiki/w/마비노기
    AlmostNotsuper
  • ApollodorusApollodorus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,865
    Posts: 57
    Member
    Greta wrote: »
    More reskinned wings? Meh, show me something new that is not in any overpriced gacha with terrible rng... I'm wondering if they will ever make an event where everyone gets wings for free with 100% chance. Probably not... I would be really surprised if they ever will do it.

    Don't you remember? They did do that with the Amazing Ferghus Wings.
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    Posts: 288
    Member
    tachiorz wrote: »
    Game had 7 directors, last one was director of Nexus: The Kingdom of the Winds apparently
    https://namu.wiki/w/마비노기

    Thanks for this.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Posts: 1,704
    Member
    Oh, wow... so we finally get the wing orb. Any idea if we're getting the new wings?
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    Posts: 359
    Member
    kuronogami wrote: »
    He said he wanted to update and bring old content back to life (ps this is how you actually save a game in game dev) but stated there was a lot of issues since a lot of the mabinogi team didn't know the code in and out due to the game changing staff over time.

    This is what I've been saying for months, and here's the validation. There have been so many changes in staff that nobody who was there at the beginning is still there now. Nobody knows how their game works anymore, probably because the programmers who came and went over the years were required to obfuscate their code and didn't leave notes on what it does. As a result, we have a game full of "black box" systems that nobody can figure out how to update or expand, so they just hang some new bells and whistles on it, and keep the bread-and-circuses stream of events going.

    It's gotten to the point where devCat would seriously be better off just rewriting the whole engine from scratch, but they'd never put in the time and money it would take to do so. They'll just milk it until it dies.

    LittlerabbitAlexisEUBlissfulkillPeloiXiokunIyasenuImaizumiSherriAlmostNotsuper
  • FavrielFavriel
    Mabinogi Rep: 440
    Posts: 32
    Member
    Anyone think dominion wings are gonna be in this like monochrome or white
  • ImaizumiImaizumi
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,225
    Posts: 698
    Member
    edited March 12, 2017
    kuronogami wrote: »
    Not a lot of people seem to be aware of this but... the new korean director (now nearly a year old) has already stated he isn't over worried if things are over powered. He said since mabinogi has so much and that it's not really a competitive game theres no point in stressing out about balancing everything.

    I suspected they realized this but nice to know it's been officially stated. It would make sense since the systems they implement seem to gravitate towards giving up on any meaningful PVE rebalancing and just offer more fashionogi/lifestyle improvements.

    Which I think is the right direction since they obviously can't scrap all of the power creep that happened over the years due to the way things are. Reforges, the time people have spent, etc. They'd be better off making a true Mabinogi 2 if they wanted to do that, but the likelihood of something like that happening is basically none at this point.
  • KirimaseKirimase
    Mabinogi Rep: 330
    Posts: 3
    Member
    Favriel wrote: »
    Anyone think dominion wings are gonna be in this like monochrome or white
    White, Black, and Red dominions are all listed under orbs from the version KR got, but monochromes aren't so I'm not sure about those. So assuming the version we get doesn't differ from theirs we should be seeing the dominion wings dropping from it. I feel like they might change it for us though because of the dominions being added to the eweca orb recently.
    badnewsbarrett
  • FavrielFavriel
    Mabinogi Rep: 440
    Posts: 32
    Member
    Kirimase wrote: »
    Favriel wrote: »
    Anyone think dominion wings are gonna be in this like monochrome or white
    White, Black, and Red dominions are all listed under orbs from the version KR got, but monochromes aren't so I'm not sure about those. So assuming the version we get doesn't differ from theirs we should be seeing the dominion wings dropping from it. I feel like they might change it for us though because of the dominions being added to the eweca orb recently.
    Kirimase wrote: »
    Favriel wrote: »
    Anyone think dominion wings are gonna be in this like monochrome or white
    White, Black, and Red dominions are all listed under orbs from the version KR got, but monochromes aren't so I'm not sure about those. So assuming the version we get doesn't differ from theirs we should be seeing the dominion wings dropping from it. I feel like they might change it for us though because of the dominions being added to the eweca orb recently.
    Kirimase wrote: »
    Favriel wrote: »
    Anyone think dominion wings are gonna be in this like monochrome or white
    White, Black, and Red dominions are all listed under orbs from the version KR got, but monochromes aren't so I'm not sure about those. So assuming the version we get doesn't differ from theirs we should be seeing the dominion wings dropping from it. I feel like they might change it for us though because of the dominions being added to the eweca orb recently.
    pretty sure only the black dominions are in the eweca
  • KororeKorore
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,765
    Posts: 667
    Member
    edited March 12, 2017
    Favriel wrote: »
    pretty sure only the black dominions are in the eweca

    The Eweca has all 3 Dominion wings, the White, Black, and Monochromes.

    I hope that this wing box has them, they are crazy expensive!
  • FavrielFavriel
    Mabinogi Rep: 440
    Posts: 32
    Member
    Korore wrote: »
    Favriel wrote: »
    pretty sure only the black dominions are in the eweca

    The Eweca has all 3 Dominion wings, the White, Black, and Monochromes.

    I hope that this wing box has them, they are crazy expensive!
    I agree If that box has them il be so happy the prices will drop ;D the korean box did so it all depends on na changing things
  • ZephynZephyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 535
    Posts: 7
    Member
    edited March 13, 2017
    I've been struggling to get back into the game, because it always feels deserted when I try or it's too much of the same thing. It would be very interesting to see some extra asymmetrical strengths to further incentivise certain styles for these characters traits.

    Personally I'd like to see servers merge for less of a deserted feel I always get coming on, more lands to explore for high levels with more dungeons and more things to make like armors and shields for blacksmiths that don't involve gachapons. Maybe update some models and textures for old armors and weapons, add scabbards, allow Elves to wear more Heavy Armors and make Giant models for certain armors like chainmail, perhaps make Pauldron accessories similar to Giants' gauntlets for extra defense/protection.

    I'm probably being really picky or whatever, I have history with this game that I really like and want to keep enjoying this game. But it's mostly the way it feels deserted and how few places to explore or that are worth exploring.

    Of course, I look forward to coming back for a little while to test out my Human warrior with the new changes. I have too much of an AP surplus thanks to one of the updates with AP rewards for Talents. This is a cool update, I hope to see more in the future.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Posts: 661
    Member
    Shaeli wrote: »
    kuronogami wrote: »
    He said he wanted to update and bring old content back to life (ps this is how you actually save a game in game dev) but stated there was a lot of issues since a lot of the mabinogi team didn't know the code in and out due to the game changing staff over time.

    This is what I've been saying for months, and here's the validation. There have been so many changes in staff that nobody who was there at the beginning is still there now. Nobody knows how their game works anymore, probably because the programmers who came and went over the years were required to obfuscate their code and didn't leave notes on what it does. As a result, we have a game full of "black box" systems that nobody can figure out how to update or expand, so they just hang some new bells and whistles on it, and keep the bread-and-circuses stream of events going.

    It's gotten to the point where devCat would seriously be better off just rewriting the whole engine from scratch, but they'd never put in the time and money it would take to do so. They'll just milk it until it dies.

    It is true that the code is full of "black box" systems however we can verify that the current team and director have made an effort to fix this issue, as with various revamps old code must be researched and altered, as the director mentions in their interviews, the majority of their time is fixing the issues that a change will cause. While it seems slow and uninteresting, the current team has found a good balance of touching up old content while creating new content for the player base to enjoy. If you keep up with the Korean update, you will know that several major updates are coming to our servers as well. As for writing a new engine for the game, from a business perspective this is a poor decision, with the effort and resources required for such an endeavor, it would make better sense to simply publish as a new game. The development team is making an effort to improve age old content that were neglected by other teams that focused on outputting new content. In the test of time, older content will see a magnitude of problems like difficulty scaling no longer applying, and rewards being extremely lackluster. Though while the situation is quite grim here in NA, the game is doing very well in its home country and Japan, so while we won't see a complete rewrite of the engine, the game probably won't die as it is still popular enough in its home country to still receive updates and support.
    badnewsbarrettCarlizeHiroki05SherriAlmostNotsuper
  • darkchaos125darkchaos125
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,165
    Posts: 44
    Member
    kuronogami wrote: »
    Leinei wrote: »
    Wait, we got a new Director again? Were they responsible for G20 or was that the last one?

    @Xiokun Lol, yeah I've seen a few peeps use Meryl's icon other than me. I wish they'd bring back the feature where you can upload your own icons... -_-

    Up to g20 was done by the old directors plans but the new direct started around g20 time. The first content done by the new direct was the Phantasm update.

    He said he wanted to update and bring old content back to life (ps this is how you actually save a game in game dev) but stated there was a lot of issues since a lot of the mabinogi team didn't know the code in and out due to the game changing staff over time. He also mentioned dungeon updates (which we got ofc) and talked about playing the end chest drops (which we got) and seemingly hesitantly mentioned he would like to be able to revamp egos however said that the code is such a mess/unknown that doing so could break a lot of things and this has been their main trouble in revamping systems.

    It seems I mis remembered about the balancing thing when he said that he was talking towards PVP not necessarily PVE.

    If the coding is that tangled of a mess for them, we might not be seeing much of the changes we'd hope for a 'while'....ah well...