Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

About forums

TentacleTentacle
Mabinogi Rep: 1,070
in Town Square
How about limiting the number of threads one user can create to 1-3 per day? Not only would that be a countermeasure against bots but also a general spam-prevention mechanism. Sorry if I'm not supposed making suggestion about that kind of stuff, I just want the forums to be clean again.
GretaXiokunNegumikoTheNyanCat[Deleted User]Sherripawcalypse

Comments

• PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    That would kill the forum even further than it already is.
    [Deleted User]
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited July 22, 2017
    I actually think that's a good suggestion. Usually people create 1-3 threads a day. Or don't create at all. If they want to tell or ask something, but they have already created 3 threads for a day then they can try to do that in Discord server, Facebook, other fan-made forums and so on. Honestly most people don't create more than 3 threads a day so i guess this restriction would work out good.
    [Deleted User]Sherri
  • nevyn25nevyn25
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,135
    I agree that it's a good suggestion. it's pretty annoying to barely be able to read the forums with all those spam threads popping up lately. as for killing the forums, the general sections like server forums or general thread are still pretty lively. I sometimes see over 30-40 replies within an hour to some threads, which I wouldn't call even remotely dead.
    [Deleted User]Sherri
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    Yeah, this spam is making the forum so stupidly unpleasant and unprofessional-looking. How can you even let this slide? x_x It's just like the endless spam bots ingame, but at least the general public outside of the game can't see how badly it's handled.
    [Deleted User]Sherri
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    It's obvious by the fact that there's a new user approval thing that they're trying to fix it. I'm alright with the idea of a limit of thread creation, but replying to one is a different story.
    [Deleted User]
  • GretaGreta
    Bump, please Nexon consider this.
    [Deleted User]
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    At the very least limit it to three per section, if you're making more than three threads in a single section you probably need to calm down anyway.
    [Deleted User]
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    edited July 24, 2017
    or they could limit it to 1 thread per day(or 1 every X hours) for new accounts that are under 2-3 weeks old like a few forums I was on.

Actually there was one forum I went to that people couldn't make threads for 1 week minimum, and they had to have something like 30 posts made in other topics before gaining the ability.
    [Deleted User]
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    TheNyanCat wrote: »
    At the very least limit it to three per section, if you're making more than three threads in a single section you probably need to calm down anyway.

That will still fulfill a bot's purpose.
    3 per section is enough spam.

Really, the best solution is preventing them from being able to come onto the forum in the first place.
    [Deleted User]
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    lidiya wrote: »
    or they could limit it to 1 thread per day(or 1 every X hours) for new accounts that are under 2-3 weeks old like a few forums I was on.

If the forum system we're on can support that sort of limitation automatically, I think it'd work out decently well.
    [Deleted User]
  • GretaGreta
    Why this went from Feedback and Suggestions to Town Square? :|
    [Deleted User]
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Rather than think that people who are opposed are controlling bots, think of it more as a business meeting where we're making deliberations and debate for the best solution. Although in the end, it is up to the hosts to make the decision.
    [Deleted User]Ataraxiz
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    edited July 28, 2017
    Greta wrote: »
    Why this went from Feedback and Suggestions to Town Square? :|
    From what Dealer said on old forums, anything relating to game stuff is for Suggestions and anything exclusively for the forums is put in Town Square. Kinda bizarre, but at least they're consistent about it I guess.
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    I already mentioned this in my thread (more than once). It seems like some are against anything and everything that might actually work against bot spam. I'm currently under the impression that a number of people posing as "against these ideas" are the same people controlling the bots.
    I wouldn't be pointing fingers at people who are against the purposed counter measures: most of them have valid concerns about the suggestions. I honestly find that limiting post count on a timely basis to be a bit harsh to everyone, regardless of what factors are put into determining your post limit, for example.
    It's an even more absurd accusation when you consider that the bots are spamming Korean gambling websites supposed for horse races. No one here would have anything to benefit from advertising that.
    [Deleted User]Sherri
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Oh right, "because it's absolutely impossible for the bots to be controlled by an English speaking user" (I'm not that easily convinced or swayed). I didn't point fingers at anyone specifically, (or by name), despite drawing a line between people who agree that something needs to be done and people who don't. (It's one thing to disagree and offer criticism; It's another to disagree with the whole concept of controlling the madness). :|
    1) Of course that's possible, but I seriously doubt a NA Mabinogi player/forumer would be leading this sort of spam for giggles (see below).
    2) You still wanted to blame someone.
    . . . I'm currently under the impression that a number of people posing as "against these ideas" are the same people controlling the bots.
    3) One or two people definitely aren't being constructive, but:
    Buffalos wrote: »
    . . . most of them have valid concerns about the suggestions.
    It seems to me; no one in Korea (or anywhere else on planet Earth) would have anything to benefit from advertising that. :|
    If the website exists at all, them advertising it will always be seen as a benefit to them. I doubt anyone on NA forums (as a -natural- forumer) happens to be employed to this company/group, seeing as it's Korean horse racing.
    Besides... what I mentioned to start with was not intended to be "forever" ..... let alone "harsh". Those of us who have made it past filtration have no problem posting in the forum, and nothing should change. The topic isn't about standing in the way of users; it's about standing in the way of abusers (but .. lets drive the car off a cliff and avoid that point to prevent it from ever happening ... I totally get it). :|
    1) Then what's the point of implementing an anti-bot measure if you're just going to remove it later?
    2) And what about the people who are creating new forum accounts for the games they just started playing and want to communicate on those games' forums? Putting post limits on them isn't really fair to them.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Buffalos wrote: »
    1) Then what's the point of implementing an anti-bot measure if you're just going to remove it later?
    2) And what about the people who are creating new forum accounts for the games they just started playing and want to communicate on those games' forums? Putting post limits on them isn't really fair to them.
    Define the phrase "probationary period".

I hadn't read that recent post on the other thread. From the context here I thought you literally meant "block the bots entirely. . . for a week." This would still kinda hinder newbies seeking help here, as help threads tend to have OP posting a few times in a ~day asking for clarifications or to give thanks. Or they don't know that you can quote multiple posts in one reply.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Where did I say anything about blocking anyone for a week? The problem with this entire topic; both in this thread and mine; is that the people responding are missing the whole entire point and even when the point is spelled out to them and explained in detail, they seemingly go out of their way to miss the point even more. ~ I would be amazed to learn there is anyone at Nexon with a full head of hair left. -- ... ..

No you didn't say block for a week. What you said was that the measure wouldn't be a forever thing. Me missing the context from the other thread led me to believe you meant the entire anti-bot measure shouldn't be in place forever. You're just taking everything at exact face value, which is probably because it's the internet.
    [Deleted User]
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    As much as I would hate for any limits to be placed, something has to be done I guess.
    Maybe only limit these things to new accounts? Juuust maaaaybe.
    I'm currently under the impression that a number of people posing as "against these ideas" are the same people controlling the bots.

Oh okay. Thanks for accusing me of botting.
    watercat0 wrote: »
    lets close this one too because why not.

uhm

wat
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    I think this thread got a little too heated o.O I don't think anyone enjoys coming to the forums and seeing stuff like this spammed. I like the debating and all but arguing is pretty senseless at this point.

Can we all be positive and move on, yes yes?

On the topic of the forums:

Simply adding more VFMs with different time zones should help a ton. Mabinogi NA is a popular place for people from other countries to come chill out, so this should help a lot. He'll, I'd even volunteer to be a VFM o-o I'm here all of the time anyway LOL
  • GretaGreta
    Same, i could volunteer too... :D
    AtaraxizSherri
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    Greta wrote: »
    Same, i could volunteer too... :D

I'd look forward to working with you for sure.
    Greta