Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

August 21st Eclipse!

AtaraxizAtaraxiz
Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
edited August 12, 2017 in Town Square
On August 21st, the North American Continent is going to be experiencing a Solar Eclipse. The Eclipse will begin around 1PM EST! Be sure to wear your shades and not to look directly at the sun this day! During the Eclipse, the sky will turn jet back as the moon crosses in front of the sun! This only happens every 375 years (stated by NASA), so be sure to take in this experience! We will be having Lunar Eclipse's this month as well, so be sure to check on NASA's page for more information!

I hope you all enjoy the occasion! Have fun, stay safe!

Be sure to comment your opinions and such below!
  1. Are you excited for this?11 votes
    1. Yes
       91% (10 votes)
    2. No
       9% (1 vote)

Comments

• ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    edited August 12, 2017
    We are preparing for the chaos. :P The resort town my fiance and I work in, Jackson, WY, is expecting over 100k people for the eclipse. We will be working the day of it and I hope we can find parking at our workplace. Not looking forward to the crowds and traffic though lol.

I've seen a couple lunar eclipses years ago, but this will be my first solar eclipse. We already have our glasses ready for it!
    Ataraxiz
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Astronomical events are very tricky. Certain places would get the perfect view, the angles don't always line up for every geographical location, which proves that the world is not flat, sorry flat world people.

And then you have to factor the weather of that day. If your location has extreme cloud cover for that time period, you're pretty much in the dark anyways. Now, eclipses, you have a better chance of catching under cloud cover than meteor showers, if you're covered, then you're pretty much doomed from seeing it.
    Ataraxiz
  • MissFortuneMissFortune
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,530
    My roommate says we should be able to see it here, so he's going to get us glasses.
    Ataraxiz
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    My school provided mine so we're very excited for next Monday!
    Ataraxiz wrote: »
    My school provided mine so we're very excited for next Monday!

I would be indoors next Monday at work, local time 10 am windows facing the west, with a chance of am clouds from the "Marine Layer."
    Ataraxiz
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    edited August 16, 2017
    Literally starts at the same time as my first fall class.
    Ataraxiz
    I wonder why Mabinogi doesn't have eclipses, I mean there are 2 moons.
    Ataraxiz
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    edited August 16, 2017
    The entire continental U.S. and a big chunk of Canada is going to see a deep partial eclipse, but only a narrow little band gets to see the total eclipse.

On average, for any given single spot on Earth, you'd have to wait 300-400 years for the path of a total solar eclipse to pass over it, but averages are bunk, and people these days are more mobile than ever before. There's a total solar eclipse somewhere every few years.

Too bad I didn't have the means to go somewhere to see this one in its full glory, but for the next one that comes our way in 2024 I'm right on the path of totality, so that one's coming to me instead—assuming I can hold the status quo together another 7 years. I'm not sure I can.
    Kensamaofmari
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    Total eclipse is going to happen where I live, so it'll be neat to see. The only thing that can ruin that day is bad weather.
  • VioletBoyVioletBoy
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,765
    edited August 17, 2017
    I might buy the glasses for this once in a lifetime event. Since I don't have work that day, just need to remind myself.
    Edit: trying to post an image about the eclipse and waffle houses but nope.
  • ShoogShoog
    My job gave everyone a gift bag this morning with some cookies and x2 eclipse glasses. Now I wish I had held off on buying them previously lol. Now we have 4 extra pair that we don't need.

As a plus, our store will be closing for an hour during the eclipse so everyone can go outdoors to experience it.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Shoog wrote: »
    My job gave everyone a gift bag this morning with some cookies and x2 eclipse glasses. Now I wish I had held off on buying them previously lol. Now we have 4 extra pair that we don't need.

As a plus, our store will be closing for an hour during the eclipse so everyone can go outdoors to experience it.

Where do I apply for this store? Lolol.
    Shoog
  • ShoogShoog
    Ataraxiz wrote: »
    Where do I apply for this store? Lolol.

XD I heard they gave us and only one other store the freebies since only the two stores were in the full eclipse zone! It's Lucky's Market. :P A small specialties/organics grocery chain that originated in Colorado.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Ooo sweet sweet. I enjoy Aldi's. Such good store xwx I need one in my town, I'd buy so much chocolate and cheap snacks, lolol.
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    I'd like to see one of these types of events for once in my life, but I always miss them. I forget and it's over.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Sai wrote: »
    I'd like to see one of these types of events for once in my life, but I always miss them. I forget and it's over.

Fina a way to keep yourself reminded :3 I use alarms loll
    Caught it on local tv livestream. Got a screenshot will try to upload it tonight.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    edited August 21, 2017
    I got to see it with my own eyes @-@ It was beautiful. We got pictures and videos. Gonna show our guildies when we get it ready. There were police patrolling streets and all kinds of crazy stuff. Like the entire state was traveling to our town. Crazy~
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    edited August 21, 2017
    Made a lens for my DSLR out of welding goggle I had laying around early this morning so I could take pictures of it as I looked outside, and it was really clear morning. 7-10 mins prior I went outside seen it was sorta cloudy, but the sun was still perfectly visible, and I could see the beginning with my other pair of welding goggles. Setup the tripod, and camera about a minute later cloud cover came as I was focusing the camera to the point I couldn't see even a slight portion of the sun without any eye protection. Truthfully it got so cloudy I couldn't even tell what point the sun was at in the sky, and then right after that I felt a few rain drops so I closed up the tripod, and went in as I didn't want to damage my camera if it started pouring.

So yea got to see nothing at all. I blame the windbag mayor, and elected officials with all the hot air they keeps blowing out of city hall :P
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Lol the only people we can blame, right? Maybe next time you can travel to see it!