Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Flight expansion

Comments

• badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    pawcalypse wrote: »
    I wish they would make a flight accessible area in the game like a floating castle or some sort of platform where players can hang around or venture into a new dungeon, mission or whatever.

That would be so cool omg. Makes me think about the sky temple in LoZ: Twilight Princess. I just think if something like this were ever to be added, there should be something like a teleportation spot on ground that could send you up too, for players who don't have flight/flying pets or who don't fly a lot because of lag, etc.
    Ataraxizpawcalypse
  • NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
    We can't use hot air balloons in the new flight zones.

0/10 update. No fun allowed.
  • EllisyaEllisya
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,525
    I wish they would make a flight accessible area in the game like a floating castle or some sort of platform where players can hang around or venture into a new dungeon, mission or whatever.

Pleione Engine : "No I cannot accept. I do not know how."

' Q')>
    pawcalypse
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    edited September 7, 2017
    Dunbarton is full of fun new spots to land now. you can land on top of the walls that could not be accessed before and run behind the magic school and you can land inside the fence with that Lylimark statue by Lorna.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited September 7, 2017

Sounds like a good plan on how to break a game with a single update :D
    Ataraxizpawcalypse
  • ErorservErorserv
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,695
    edited September 7, 2017
    I present to you, the laziest map designers in the world.

Don't get me wrong, the update is great. <rant> The scenery on the other hand is the most half arsed map design I've ever seen. Every map is just encased by the same barren hills. It looks horrendous.</rant>
    pawcalypse
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    edited September 7, 2017
    Gaea wrote: »
    So can we expect VIP revamp and the moongate book next?

Your optimistic thinking is admiring.
    I present to you, the laziest map designers in the world.

Don't get me wrong, the update is great. <rant> The scenery on the other hand is the most half arsed map design I've ever seen. Every map is just encased by the same barren hills. It looks horrendous.</rant>

I guess that's why they didn't want to add flight.

Can't show the people the designers' abilities to care.

Well, the maps weren't even designed with flight in mind anyway.
  • ErorservErorserv
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,695
    edited September 7, 2017
    TNinja wrote: »
    Well, the maps weren't even designed with flight in mind anyway.

While that's true, the barren hills and paths that lead into cliffs were added with this update.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Guess that's just one of the limitations that come with zone-based MMO.

But they could've done something like make fake versions of the areas beyond the loading zones.

Sorta like the Fake Tir you can see from the Uladh Rebirth Area, where Tin is at.

Would've been a bit better than these paths to nowhere and mountains about the flyline.
    pawcalypse
  • YellowBinYellowBin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,320
    Iyasenu wrote: »

But they could've done something like make fake versions of the areas beyond the loading zones.

Sorta like the Fake Tir you can see from the Uladh Rebirth Area, where Tin is at.

Would've been a bit better than these paths to nowhere and mountains about the flyline.

There's more areas present than in the video. There are massive mountains and hills beyond the boundaries now that lead to nothingness.
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    YellowBin wrote: »

There's more areas present than in the video. There are massive mountains and hills beyond the boundaries now that lead to nothingness.

They may need to add more cloud particle/effects to hide everything, more players may get curious what lies beyond what is accessible. The game is a true sandbox when you see these limitations. I wish Sen Mag and the rest become part of this soon.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Hardmuscle wrote: »

"zone-based MMO" .. as opposed to? How many game engines have you worked in? An open unlimited endless world (without such zones) would make an awesome crash-to-desktop simulator (and that's about it). -- Even Minecraft (despite trickery) doesn't load it all at once. :D

I can, for example, provide endless (seemingly infinite) terrain in a Unity 3D scene ... -- but even that would benefit from zoning (moving from one scene to another inside of a single persistent scene; so things dont unload/reload when moving from one scene to another).

Semantics!

You know what I meeeeean.

I'm not meaning technically, just... aesthetically?

As for a bit better example of what would've been nice to have done to existing maps with this flight update.

Look at places like... when Rano turns into Courcle.

Or the icy river that transfers you from Courcle to Physis.
    Physis -> Courcle
    c769f70bc9.png
    And looking back at Physis after zoning over to Courcle's Map
    a229d21050.png

I wish the map updates did something like this to the affected Uladh maps.
    It's a fairly egregious offense when looking at where Gairech turns into Bangor.
    72c1683b90.png

Love the very harsh line where the ground changes color.
    It would've looked much nicer if they did a dummy version of Bangor after the loading zone.

Or just did what they did for Bangor -> Gairech and just end at the void.
    3c0628cb40.png
    That looks better than the... whatever they did for Gairech -> Bangor.
    [Deleted User]pawcalypse
  • GretaGreta
    Well these areas were created like 10-13 years ago... What do you expect?

Looks funny though.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    edited September 8, 2017

They already made something with a similar concept. It was released late 2009. It didn't float in the air, so it didn't break Pleione and its problems with the 3rd dimension, but it was still inaccessible by land -- you could only get there by flying on a pet or hot air balloon.
    It housed a mini-game that awarded rare weapons and enchants for its time, and was very difficult to complete for the players back then.

I was exploring Iria on foot and didn't have any pets, so I had to launch a balloon from the opposite beach. It took me a while to figure out how to work the balloon, but it was pretty exciting when I realised I was finally making my way to that exclusive flight-only region of the new map.

Nobody plays the mini-game there any more.

[Deleted User]pawcalypse
  • KingEphyKingEphy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,100
    edited September 8, 2017

Renes Torture Trap ~ http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Threat_in_Renes

I think 90% of us still have this quest from 2009. ~ Literally nobody has the patience to die like that. ~ lol :D

Feels good to be in the 10% then. :)

feels bad that we can't fly there anymore via Couples' Flight nor pets. But more flying in Uladh! WHOO!!
    [Deleted User]
  • GretaGreta
    edited September 8, 2017
    Eralea wrote: »
    I was exploring Iria on foot and didn't have any pets, so I had to launch a balloon from the opposite beach. It took me a while to figure out how to work the balloon, but it was pretty exciting when I realised I was finally making my way to that exclusive flight-only region of the new map.

Nobody even flies to Renes anymore, since it is now IMPOSSIBLE. Not only they added a Mana Tunnel in that island, but they also removed the option to fly through ocean to reach it by yourself.... It was changed like year ago or so. I don't know if it was intentional change or not. I hate this, i wan't to fly to that island again... :c

[Deleted User]pawcalypse
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785

I think 90% of us still have this quest from 2009. ~ Literally nobody has the patience to die like that. ~ lol :D

I'm in the 90% and i'm sad. :|
    I need to get that done one day!
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Greta wrote: »
    Nobody even flies to Renes anymore, since it is now IMPOSSIBLE. Not only they added a Mana Tunnel in that island, but they also removed the option to fly through ocean to reach it by yourself.... It was changed like year ago or so. I don't know if it was intentional change or not. I hate this, i wan't to fly to that island again... :c

I actually forgot that they broke the flight map lol. Most of my alts were simply granted access to the Renes Mana Tunnel after completing the Spying on the Giants quest, and they have the moonlight books anyway. I haven't needed to walk across Iria for a very long time now.

But yeah, every time they make unique exclusive content they end up nerfing it one way or another. Just like how Tara Rath used to be closed to people if they weren't approved by the door guard... now everyone, noobs, peasants, assassins and all, can just waltz right in straight to the Queen's throneroom. A floating castle will eventually be nerfed in the same way. Maybe it'll fall out of the sky.

• nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870

Greta wrote: »
    But yeah, every time they make unique exclusive content they end up nerfing it one way or another. Just like how Tara Rath used to be closed to people if they weren't approved by the door guard... now everyone, noobs, peasants, assassins and all, can just waltz right in straight to the Queen's throneroom. A floating castle will eventually be nerfed in the same way. Maybe it'll fall out of the sky.

Or how the two races that are supposed to be at war won't even bother to so much as slightly inconvenience members of the opposing race who sneak into their villages anymore.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910

My guild actually does that mini game as a guild event :3