Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Any fix for Elf Ranged Lag yet?

Comments

• SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    edited September 19, 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Sebastian wrote: »
    @Sebastian
    "Elf Ranged Lag" is a mythical scapegoat popular among many who are unable to admit their computer is in need of service (preferably by someone who knows what they are doing). ~ What steps (aside from looking for more scapegoats) have you taken to combat this lag? :)

~ http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Lag
    Considering the fact that in the livestream (in KR) showcasing the new talent had something tacked on about "placement logic", which is essentially whats being argued here, I highly doubt this is a myth.

KR has literally addressed this, I'm lost trying to find out why you'd argue otherwise by saying it doesn't exist.

//thread.

Go home everyone.
    This thread was proven a myth upon the convenient placement and removal of a fail nation link. You're trying too hard sir. :unamused:

http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/comment/61798/#Comment_61798

Proven a myth?

It's been addressed by KR, honey. I don't know why you're dodging this.
    It wasn't addressed by KR, and don't "honey" me. There is no existing elf lag issue. It is an animation issue if it is any real issue at all (refer to their non-lag-related-so-called-fix). I originally said, Elf Lag is a mythical scapegoat; and you folks have done nothing but prove it since then.

Whatever you say, honey.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Whatever you say, honey.
    Your trolling is cute, but that's all it is. Nothing more. :trollface:

I'd consider myself drop dead gorgeous, actually.

But thanks for the compliment.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    It wasn't addressed by KR, and don't "honey" me. There is no existing elf lag issue. It is an animation issue if it is any real issue at all (refer to their non-lag-related-so-called-fix). I originally said, Elf Lag is a mythical scapegoat; and you folks have done nothing but prove it since then.

If the fix worked, that means the issue was real. It might not be "lag", but it's an "issue." At this point you're arguing just for the sake of arguing and will end up getting this thread locked because you're flame baiting super hard right now.
    NilremDFDFDChaosShadow
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    I simply said (on the first page) Elf Range Lag is a myth. If you bother to read the thread, you'll see it was followed by numerous attacks/attempts to prove me wrong, and in the end I was ultimately right, but you still find room to cover the morons at nation and then throw the blame on me.. -- you sir can pound salt up your whazoo!

People did attack you at the start which isn't cool. Then people came in with what pretty much says "Hey they is 95% an issue" and you continue to deny it. I snapped, but that's mostly because people who blatantly ignore or twist facts/findings in their favor will drive a scientist wanting publication like me insane.
    A 'sorry' from me ain't gonna fix anything, so I won't bother with it.
    At this point in time, it does not matter if it's real or fake.

This is just a massive slap in the face to EVERYONE who has this issue and begging rebuttal from them. You're asking for people to attack you, and you need to stop that.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    The biggest slap in the face is the fact that none of you are willing to accept the fact you can correct this on your own, without mods, or devs, or special attention, or your own chapter in the bible. This old myth is old, and now you're going to say it took a year old forum post from nation to learn about it? I don't have this issue because I don't run the average system. I don't need to be reminded of what to turn off and what to leave on. I don't run 50 other things in the background and then moan because the one thing I use the most is like molasses moving uphill in the winter. There's a way to deal with this and a way not to. This thread is largely on the latter.

I don't run 50 programs in the back, have an average system, or need to be told to soft reset stuff. And I have elf lag. Just because something doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You've had this mentality with other stuff and it needs to stop. Seriously.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Buffalos wrote: »
    I don't run 50 programs in the back, have an average system, or need to be told to soft reset stuff. And I have elf lag. Just because something doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You've had this mentality with other stuff and it needs to stop. Seriously.
    You're telling me to stop being 100% sure the problem is client-side. ~ I don't think you have room to talk about mentality at this point.

He's telling you to stop being 100% narcissistic.
  • JulieJulie
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    Hello people, it's been a long while since i last posted here, you could have a 16 thread cpu with fiber internet and someone will still think that its either your computer or your internet while also defending nexon for a lot of things that happen wrong with mabinogi, ever since the release of elves, elves had several issues, one that is cosmetic with the purple spot on their face when facing a certain direction, the other being the elf lag that comes with using the bow, for years the elves always had this "do absolutely nothing" issue and it makes elf archery feel a lot more clunky and uncomfortable than what it feels in comparison to using human archery, without a doubt, elf archery and human archery skills behave slightly different from eachother if you leave out the fact that elves shoot out a second arrow. The thing is that usually that sweet spot in where it lags usually slips by like nothing 99% of the time given the ideal circumstances but at times it can get stuck like a clogged toilet if you're ever unlucky, it can last anywhere from a couple of seconds to a full minute, you could also see yourself get attacked and everyone else also saying things just fine and even see those annoying announcement messages pop up like no problem, but you're stuck there not being able to retaliate or even call for help to your nearby members, while it is not a problem most of the time in such a severe way, its still is a problem because it also is what makes elf archery feel like you're walking on very tiny staircases that you have to tippi toe you're way on.

Weather it's some kind of internet lag or not doesn't really matter, it's still a problem that hasn't ever been addressed, you can't experience the problem on a human, as i already explained before, humans do not have this tiny glimpse of animation lag that is apparent on elves. This issue was also much less of a problem before the combat revamp due to how smooth everything was with the loading skills, the game never cancelled out your skills on cooldown because there was never a cooldown, instead it waits until the skill is ready to be used again (grayed out maybe, waiting to be used but not cancelling it) however whenever that animation lag decided to clog everything for some unknown reason, it was still apperant all the same, it's not that oftenly reported since it doesnt happen that way commonly and most people shrug it off too due to how rare and unusual it is.

This issue happened to me quite a lot of times when i played, i dont doubt it happens to others too, more often than not i had a lot of useless services disabled for the sake of running mabi better, even then that issue still happened. You can't blame this issue on the player forever when it commonly happens when players use a certain skill.
    BuffalosSebastianSiodhanPeloi
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    No. Sweet Thing. William is telling me he's out of Kleenex (doesn't like my opinion; even though he admits it was proven correct, multiple times). If insane were a dish I could serve it to everyone on our server. :trollface:

To be honest I am out of Kleenex and I should go buy some. I've given up on this being productive for anyone in any sense, seeing how we're both apparently too hard set to look at the same figure in the same way and that nothing new is ever going to be posted here as it can't.
    And ya know what? You really know how to use that troll face ironically while not being ironic at all.
  • OriaOria
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,310
    I wonder if this issue has something to do with trying to use a skill while in motion, since the character is usually stationary when using a skill. And since that character position is possibly still in motion on either side, maybe the skill doesn't go til both sides have the character position being the same?

I haven't actually experienced the elf lag as an elf that is mentioned, but I usually don't aim while running and try to shoot a mob while still moving. I tend to do archery as if playing a human, but I'm not certain if that matters.

There is that issue I usually have while rafting and I attempt casting thunder or any spell actually. I'm usually frozen in that position for some time with the spell ready to go. So I end up being stuck til I'm hit ,use shockwave , or attempt canceling the skill. I've also tried doing archery as a human while rafting with a similar result. (I was curious if it was only magic with the issue)

I'm not sure if this is a normal thing, but I feel like it relates to the topic a little bit.
    Also I'm sorry, I tried explaining the best I could..
  • NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
    Just got a recent upgrade to my internet speed, and decided to see for myself what this elf lag is like with pretty much lagless gameplay outside of typical market channel lag.

I tried many other things too, since I wanted to really know just how fast I was reacting.

All of my actions, such as gestures, using rest and similar, were instant, with no delay of any kind.
    I could swap weapon slots multiple times in a second.
    Even the use of magic was a lot smoother than I recall before the upgrade.
    Overall, the only lag I generally notice in normal gameplay is server lag.

But then I put on that bow and played around with it for a while...

...and was reminded why I hate archery in this game.
    Even with the upgrade to internet speed, I still notice this "Elf Lag" every now and again.
    Sometimes more than others, most likely from server lag.

If anything, I am mostly curious about the inner workings of this "lag".
    Especially since I'll be ignoring archery with chain whips right around the corner.

Already got that Sniper title anyway.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Nilrem wrote: »
    If anything, I am mostly curious about the inner workings of this "lag".
    I'm especially curious of how many more people will come in (since the removal of the nation-link proving it is not lag) to tell their lag related stories about this. Take a walk through the thread and read what was already posted. Just because the link was removed does not mean the once delivered "proof" suddenly becomes an "unproof" the moment it's realized their evidence didn't support their own argument in the way they had originally hoped it would. One side boasts a fix not related to lag (supporting what I first said about elf lag myth). The other side is too ignorant or carried away in their own thought to pay attention to anything each other has said (this becomes obvious when all they talk about is lag). :trollface:

Are you saying that "elf lag" isn't an issue, or are you saying that it's a myth because it's not technically "lag", but some other problem?
    I guess since it's not some FPS drop or connection stalling issue it's not lag. (I can certainly see the enemies perfectly fine as they get in some combat practice on my stuck self :disappointed:)

At any rate, do you have more advice to help avoid getting this skill lockup?
    Something's definitely gotta be better than my "don't use ranged attack as an elf" solution I currently use :unamused:
    Have you found out what's really going on?
    Though, I guess that'd be hard if you aren't able to recreate the issue yourself... :confounded:

You mentioned Windows Search Indexer here, and superfetch somewhere else.
    Just Stop and Disable those services to cut down on background drain on your processor?
    I'm not tech savvy myself, so if you've got some more recommendations. :persevere:

I'm just grasping at straws, and hoping for some insight into the issue.
    Something's gotta help.
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    My problem with this entire thread, which is also why I haven't really posted much past the initial premise, is that it just feels like we're arguing semantics or simply arguing for the sake of arguing, but the initial problem to me is still the same:

This phenomenon -- whether it is dubbed some form or shape of lag, interference, packet loss, code inconsistency, redundancy, or anything you want to name it -- it is real without a doubt and even if you can fix it by modifying your game with mods or your OS by turning off services, the question I've always asked myself is this:
    Why does this still happen? Especially if there's a magical cure like we're supposing there is, it would probably be best if instead of having every individual person solve the problem themselves, the game itself was made to bloody work properly like any other game.

I for instance know how to research things and usually deal with computer-related issues just fine because I've studied IT, but what about the rest of the crowd? What would a psychologist do? Or a construction worker? Point is, people here want to simply enjoy a game. A game that can not and has not dealt with not only this particular problem, but a plethora of other issues, yet we stand (or sit) here bickering about who's right or wrong about..what again?

I personally just want to bring attention to this issue and get a fix from an official source that we can trust, that is legal to use and makes the game feel as fair and balanced as game should generally be. Nothing wrong with that. So, can we focus on that? Or is there going to be some kind of disagreement with that statement again anyway?
    Vitula
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    yNiBv8S.gif

I can finally eat my popcorns again.
    [Deleted User]
  • JulieJulie
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    weather or not this issue is internet related or not, it still infact fits the definition of lag, just not the type of lag thats often referred to the type you get due to the internet, it doesnt make it any less applicable either way, the way it's named is still a valid thing to call it.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    @Hardmuscle

I guess it's not likely you can help much if you can't actually replicate the issue on your end...
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    @Hardmuscle

I guess it's not likely you can help much if you can't actually replicate the issue on your end...
    Perhaps true, perhaps not. This doesn't mean I'm not entitled to the opinion (ultimate fact) I gave on the first page. Think of it like this; If I had not said what I did, no one from banned-troll.com would have come here to prove me right (they were hoping to prove me wrong and failed).

If you were referring to what you asked me previously, I honestly can't say without turning a whole bunch of things back on.

I don't mean to appear seemingly angered, but I sort of am after being bombarded from every direction by people who don't take the time to focus on their surroundings. I don't mean you personally, and I can't be certain your issue (or anyone else's issue) is even the same issue. That's to imply you might be having a completely different issue. In fact, a lot or all of you could be having different issues, but I can't exactly say (even if I knew ahead of time), hey everyone .. do this thing .. in violation of the terms .. to fix your possibly not even relevant issue ..

This is a very old topic.

Oh I mean, don't worry.
    All I have is guesswork on what the cause of my issue is, anyways.
    But hey, if your case is anything to go by, you don't actually need that "thing" to not get this issue.
    So there's that, at least!
    [Deleted User]
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Well, I see how we ended up here.

Personally, I wouldn't categorize this as "lag" either, but I just wnet along with the name I guess.
    [Deleted User]
  • IrvynIrvyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 650
    Siodhan wrote: »
    20 straight seconds of lock even while not loading a skill (char just standing there like an idiot).

My brother, an elf, and I were running Karu the other day and this happened to him while he was using ranged skills. We were confused and I hopped over to his room to see what was wrong and his character was just stuck there, unable to move or anything else for half a minute or so. He told me this has happened a few times before and only when he was training ranged skills.

I'm quite certain this problem is unrelated to our net as I was completely unaffected (and as a competitive star/tournament player for another game and publisher, I make sure we have the best and most stable; including port forwarding, Ethernet cables, and even manually disabling Nagle's Algorithm for this game) and I don't believe it has anything to do with his hardware or poor management, as we both have top of the line PCs and always try to optimize the performance. I'm inclined to believe it is related to displacement lag as that seems to be the most reasonable explanation and I hope it gets addressed soon.
  • KimCheolsuKimCheolsu
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,625
    edited October 2, 2017
    Irvyn wrote: »
    Siodhan wrote: »
    20 straight seconds of lock even while not loading a skill (char just standing there like an idiot).

My brother, an elf, and I were running Karu the other day and this happened to him while he was using ranged skills. We were confused and I hopped over to his room to see what was wrong and his character was just stuck there, unable to move or anything else for half a minute or so. He told me this has happened a few times before and only when he was training ranged skills.

I'm quite certain this problem is unrelated to our net as I was completely unaffected (and as a competitive star/tournament player for another game and publisher, I make sure we have the best and most stable; including port forwarding, Ethernet cables, and even manually disabling Nagle's Algorithm for this game) and I don't believe it has anything to do with his hardware or poor management, as we both have top of the line PCs and always try to optimize the performance. I'm inclined to believe it is related to displacement lag as that seems to be the most reasonable explanation and I hope it gets addressed soon.

Top of the line PC's and good internet, how envious I am. I'd really like to do that in the future, when I am able to.
    *drool* that's so coool *_* Playing on your guys' PCs must be amazing. Compared to my trash computer...
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    Oria wrote: »
    I wonder if this issue has something to do with trying to use a skill while in motion, since the character is usually stationary when using a skill. And since that character position is possibly still in motion on either side, maybe the skill doesn't go til both sides have the character position being the same?

The way I've seen it explained on a certain other site, yes. Apparently there's a bunch of rapid-fire redundant packets elves have with archery that humans do not, and the ability to aim while firing is what people speculate they are for. I don't really notice trouble with "elf lag" when using other types of archery skills.

It's annoying when you're a lowbie because you'll be in the middle of trying to fire while some enemy rushes you, and suddenly find yourself unable to move while your enemy walks up and whacks you on the head. But like any game quirk, you eventually get used to it and forget it is there. I don't think it's given me significant trouble for years.