Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Server Merge Alternative?

Comments

• Pie5434Pie5434
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
    I think the biggest problem with this is the names. People with duplicate names will have to rename and some people might complain if they lose their name since it's a duplicate. I wish there would be a server merge but at the same time there would be massive name issues and how to settle it without too many people getting angry losing their names (if taken). Another issue is pets. If the names are in the same category (where names can be the same in different servers) then it will cause people to probably have to rename their pets. Honestly, it'd just be best if they wanted to REALLY server merge to just ask the community/tell the community the problems and what we would want (ex. We want server merge even if some of our names would change or vice versa)
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    They don't want to do it because they don't want the headache. Lol.
    [Deleted User]Radiant DawnVeylaine
  • Pie5434Pie5434
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
    edited January 29, 2018
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Pie5434 ~ Names are not an issue. ~ Character data is cataloged by ID; not Names. ~ Names are like Decorations. Identities are the only issue concerning names (which person is which), and this is easily dealt with using tags. ~ (Nexon doesn't want to do this merging of servers you all whine for). ~ Try reading the thread. ~ Afterwards; read the other thread; and then read the other threads; and if you can dig up the archives for the last two forums; you can read the last 10 years of threads on this topic. http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/2157/server-merge/p1

See, you tell me to read the post when you didn't read my post x.x. I know it's by character ID but people will complain they lost their name if they come back and it's a hard to get name; that's why I suggested to ask the community what they want so if people ever complain you just slap them with the post and say you decided it upon yourself. My whole argument was the hassle to have people change IGNs and such with their pets/characters.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    You guys also have to understand that a lot of things can go wrong if a server merge was to take place. We could possibly see the game being down anywhere from a full day to several days. (This would cause the forums, discord channel, and other social media to blow up btw). That means our poor mabinogi staff would be working some serious overtime hours doing trouble shooting and debugging. Not only that we could very well see items and other stuff go missing, they would be swamped with tickets for weeks, potentially even months.

I totally understand why they wouldn't want to touch an undertaking of that magnitude. But at some point it's going to have to happen.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    We currently have 4 login servers. ~ Said merge would set us down to 1 login server.

~ Showing me a list of channels says nothing about the population on the server it represents.
    All of South Korea would fit in the area between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Still don't get it.

Aren't all four login servers in the same place anyways?
    Why would it matter that South Korea's smaller in that case.
    Both before and after a merge, people would still be logging in from the same distances.

And login shouldn't be affected.
    Depending on how the login server works.
    Whether it's currently one server handling login requests for all 4 servers right now, or if each game server has its own login server (that's what you mentioned), it shouldn't matter.
    If it's one for all, then nothing should change. It's still the same amount of total players.
    And if it's one for each, then why wouldn't they be able to utilize each of them to connect to a single merged server just fine?

I mean, even then, I feel that even every server's login traffic added together wouldn't bounce up against their capacity. It's a merge, not a sudden massive unflux of new players.
    It's not like this is Final Fantasy XIV on it's launch.

But, for the sake of seeing if they could do it, they could do another one of those Server Stress Tests, like they did loooooong ago when they upgraded the servers.
    NegumikoZeo
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited January 29, 2018
    I mean... If we can't do a server why not create a system where players can actively choose which Servers to play on every time they log in?

Is that too much to ask for?? 0.0

Unfortunately, that exactly defines merging/transferring the servers in order for the old mechanics to be modernized and allow such a thing.
    The high costs of the tech and human resources required are vastly larger in number than NA has at the moment. (As far as we the players can observe.)
    Such actions would require KR Devcat to move over to NA momentarily (weeks to months) to fix the issues themselves, and tell the NA team how to handle the situation from there. This would leave both branches vulnerable to a content hiatus, if nothing is already set in motion at the time.
    Nexon KR likes to do things their own way, and the current situation that the NA community placed the KR community in begging Devcat for the homestead housing update only caused them more trouble. (KR community outcried, more revisions were made to bring back the housing channel. IE- Emergency Maintenance, long downtime.)
    Such actions like going out of the way to do more for KR's other global branches may seem foreign and an unnecessary waste of both time and money if things go wrong.
    Greta wrote: »
    Merge the server merge threads pls.
    Thread If a Vmod so wishes to do so.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Gaea wrote: »
    I'm serious, if you can't do a freaking server merge - then at the very LEAST remove the population indicators at character creation! It was bad enough NA created that UNNECESSARY server, but they are perpetuating the imbalance by indicating the most popular server. GET RID OF THAT FEATURE!!! God damn.

Why would you do that? So the dead servers can have a handful of new people join, only to be told later that the server they started on is dead and they should've picked alexina?
    ShouK
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    I'm serious, if you can't do a freaking server merge - then at the very LEAST remove the population indicators at character creation! It was bad enough NA created that UNNECESSARY server, but they are perpetuating the imbalance by indicating the most popular server. GET RID OF THAT FEATURE!!! God damn.

Why would you do that? So the dead servers can have a handful of new people join, only to be told later that the server they started on is dead and they should've picked alexina?

Remove anything you want, it won't work. Some people WILL look or ask others for most populated server.
    TheNyanCat[Deleted User]Hellkaizer
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 29, 2018

Remove anything you want, it won't work. Some people WILL look or ask others for most populated server.

True but at least they won't always select Alexina.
  • GretaGreta
    edited January 29, 2018

True but at least they won't always select Alexina.

What A has to do with this? Lol, just because it's first in alphabet? It's totally normal to see things in alphabetical order, since it's simple and convenient.
  • GretaGreta
    edited January 29, 2018
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    I am purposely trying not to understand why 4 boxes in the space of 1 box will cause congestion.
    Login Server does not equate to Game Server (it doesn't have multiple channels/dimensions). ~ I'm done talking to you.

R.I.P Humanity.
    [Deleted User]
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595

I already reported it before anyone had even posted, yet here it is, 4 pages later, a "Feedback and Suggestion" topic in the "General Chat", that is essentially a repeat of everything already said in the "Server Merge" thread.

My opinion stands: "If they want to do a server merge, go ahead and do it as long as I do not lose 1 of my 50 pets or 1 of my 11 characters, as long as I do not have to change a single name of any of my said pets or characters, and as long as I do not lose a single item I have. If they can do that, have at it. If they can't do that, then I am going to play to my hearts desire on the "most dead server ever" Ruairi, and enjoy the time I have to play the game with my husband, until they just stop supporting Mabinogi all together."
    Greta[Deleted User]Darkpixie99Radiant Dawn
  • JazmynJazmyn
    edited January 29, 2018
    Opinions aside. ~ Nexon never insinuated a desire to do this. ~ No matter how slickly or slyly people choose their words.

As a business, Nexon takes into consideration the possibility of returning players. ~ A merge is asking them to forget about it.

If I'm understanding correctly here, I totally agree with you. EVERYONE has their opinion (including myself) on why we should/shouldn't merge servers, yet no one is considering the fact that Nexon has never (from what I have seen) stated they are even interested in doing one. Yet, people continue to argue and suggest a merge... MAYBE, if we spent more time playing instead of AFKing in game and arguing on the forums the servers might seem less dead..... LOL. ;P

I have some of my own theories on why merging servers will be saying "forget it" for returning players based on some things I have read on past server merge topics, but (without reading everything in the thread) I'm honestly curious, why do you say that?
    [Deleted User]
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Each server is representative of their own maximum population (active and inactive). Unless you're expecting a super server to have the same space, memory, and stability as the 4 we have now, that's a lot of players being 'forgotten about'.
    I knew there had to be some sort of IT-tech-software-server-knowledgeable type answer hidden in your reasoning. Lol. I'm glad I asked. I never considered the fact that say, everyone DID decide to come back, where would you put them all? Thanks! :)
    [Deleted User]
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    I am purposely trying not to understand why 4 boxes in the space of 1 box will cause congestion.
    Login Server does not equate to Game Server (it doesn't have multiple channels/dimensions). ~ I'm done talking to you.
    @Hardmuscle
    Wow.
    Did you have to be that rude about that?
    Edit-quoting my post in such a condescending way.

Why would the "4 boxes" become the size of "1 box."
    Why would they merge ALL the players onto a single server that is still only the same "1 box" in size?
    They wouldn't. I would hope.

The merged server would obviously be more capable than any one of the current ones we have.

And, seeing how there would still be just as many players as before, you could expect the login server to go down now and then, just like it apparently does like now.
    But why would it go down MORE just because all the players are going to the same place?
    Zeo
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    @Pie5434 ~ When reading the first sentence of your post; it's pretty clear what you didn't read. ~ Names are no issue at all. The picture I posted before your post was to show that I am aware of how it works (per server). Look at the names. Hardmuscle on all 4 servers is not oblivious here.
    ~snip
    You're right. That was mean of me. I apologize for being a grouch. ~ Did you read anything else I said since then? :s

Oh, thanks, no worries.
    And yes, I know now that there's a lot of technical stuff standing in the way of a merge.

Like, it'd be nice if the merged server being as capable as all 4 servers together was a forgone conclusion, or, if not perfectly 4x the ability of a single one of our current servers, then at least sufficient.
    And if the merged server wasn't up to task, then we'd run into the issues you talked about. And/Or worse versions of the ones we already run into.
    In which case, we would probably be worse off than before.

But that's hard to say, given I don't really know Nexon's available resources to ensure such a thing. Or the specifics about our servers.
    And of course, whether they'd find it worth the bother. That's definitely another issue.
    [Deleted User]
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    Server merge alternative:

Server merge.

The point in taking risks is that the results are better for the long term. The people affected will just have to get over it
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited January 29, 2018
    @Darkpixie99 ~ They didn't say no because they're stupid, or their equipment is antiquated. ~ They said no because they don't want to do it.

My case in point from above you:

I mean... If we can't do a server why not create a system where players can actively choose which Servers to play on every time they log in?

Is that too much to ask for?? 0.0

Unfortunately, that exactly defines merging/transferring the servers in order for the old mechanics to be modernized and allow such a thing.
    The high costs of the tech and human resources required are vastly larger in number than NA has at the moment. (As far as we the players can observe.)
    Such actions would require KR Devcat to move over to NA momentarily (weeks to months) to fix the issues themselves, and tell the NA team how to handle the situation from there. This would leave both branches vulnerable to a content hiatus, if nothing is already set in motion at the time.
    Nexon KR likes to do things their own way, and the current situation that the NA community placed the KR community in begging Devcat for the homestead housing update only caused them more trouble. (KR community outcried, more revisions were made to bring back the housing channel. IE- Emergency Maintenance, long downtime.)
    Such actions like going out of the way to do more for KR's other global branches may seem foreign and an unnecessary waste of both time and money if things go wrong.

Hence the example of the KR homestead housing and housing channel situation.
    All the NA community has done for them so far, is push forth new content that the KR community really had no say in once it was released.
    We as a community, who have already caused Nexon KR great inconvenience, are not in a current position to be asking for a server merge.
    (We also caused more work for Nexon NA to do when KR transfers that content's code as well.)
    It's already above and beyond our reach at this point, as I highly suspect that the KR CM will be looking much deeper into suggestions sent by any NA forum CM before forwarding them to Devcat in the future.

f05f3a250f5ca7c01e1f76fd46e615da.gif
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Jazmyn wrote: »

I already reported it before anyone had even posted, yet here it is, 4 pages later, a "Feedback and Suggestion" topic in the "General Chat", that is essentially a repeat of everything already said in the "Server Merge" thread.

My opinion stands: "If they want to do a server merge, go ahead and do it as long as I do not lose 1 of my 50 pets or 1 of my 11 characters, as long as I do not have to change a single name of any of my said pets or characters, and as long as I do not lose a single item I have. If they can do that, have at it. If they can't do that, then I am going to play to my hearts desire on the "most dead server ever" Ruairi, and enjoy the time I have to play the game with my husband, until they just stop supporting Mabinogi all together."

You're gonna have to reselect or change your names. It's inevitable. In fact if this does happen, I will call off from work, my car broke down, ext ext, one way or another I am keeping my name. But I don't care about all the other freaking names. In fact I am one of probably many players who took up decent names that actual players could of used. I gave them to pet and alts. Server merge would also free up a lot of ign's.
    Darkpixie99
  • JazmynJazmyn
    edited January 29, 2018
    You're gonna have to reselect or change your names. It's inevitable. In fact if this does happen, I will call off from work, my car broke down, ext ext, one way or another I am keeping my name. But I don't care about all the other freaking names. In fact I am one of probably many players who took up decent names that actual players could of used. I gave them to pet and alts. Server merge would also free up a lot of ign's.
    It's only inevitable if they do a server merge, and as of now, it's not happening.

I put thought and research into a majority of my pets names, and I DESPISE numbers in my names, I really have an extremely hard time doing it, (I did do it for my PSN name)... One of my characters is my IRL name and this character/forum name is a family member... I've been around since day 2 of open beta, it would not be fair if I/we had to rename my/our characters... Every once in awhile I even play as my pet... They aren't just storage for me...

And think of it this way too, say you couldn't get to your usernames first, how would you feel running around seeing someone else running around with your IDENTITY....? Honestly, I'd quit playing all together.... u.u;

My opinion still stands, I would not want them to do a server merge if I have to change my names... Sorry...

EDIT: I also just want to point out that I do understand my opinion will not help Nexon decide if they do or do not choose to do a server merge, it is just my opinion and does not matter.