Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why don't other MMOs do what mabinogi does?

HellkaizerHellkaizer
Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
edited March 6, 2018 in Town Square
I've played A LOT of different MMOs and none of them have systems that mabinogi does. From life skills, to quests and even storylines. But even things like player shops and skill progression just doesn't exist in the same way. The only things I've seen personally is archeage was similar in a way, but it still had a very generic MMO feel to it. Runescape is closer I'd say with most of the skills leading to making your account better in some way...

But really. The current MMO market is dead and stale, and a lot of the upcoming ones are "NEW" and "INNOVATED" "NOT P2WIN" *until the devs realize they can cash in on their game*

I'm tired of being put on a leveling railroad, grinding a storyline and then having nothing left but daily restricted raids or dungeons.

EDIT: What do you guys think? Have you played any mmos that are unique?

*ah yes, town square where threads go to die.*
[Deleted User]
  1. Have you played any mmos that are unique?31 votes
    1. Yes
       35% (11 votes)
    2. No
       16% (5 votes)
    3. I don't play other mmos
       13% (4 votes)
    4. I can't find any
       35% (11 votes)

Comments

• IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    I could've sworn there was some upcoming MMO that was doing some stuff Mabi does.

I don't think it's released for NA yet, and it probably isn't just like Mabi.
    Peria Chronicles or something.

Ya'know, MapleStory 2 has their own music-making/playing system. Not MML like Mabi's but something sort of like it.
    There are a few MMORPGs where your skills improve through using them, or otherwise need to be used and trained to improve, rather than just hitting a character level milestone and putting in skill points.
    Though, I don't think I've ever played an MMO with something like Mabi's rebirth system.
    Twelie[Deleted User]ZarozianAlchemistjk
  • HyosungHyosung
    Mabinogi Rep: 835
    I've tried, but nothing's quite like Mabinogi. It's so sandboxy... there's literally so much potential for one character. Even down to things like character customization. The fact that there's almost limitless customization you could do to your characters is pretty rare on most games since clothing is usually behind a pay wall or race wall (i mean, they gotten better w/ making clothing available for all races). Mabi is cool in a sense that the marketplace allows trading almost all items for gold.

All I want in a game rn is a sandbox game that doesn't force me to pvp for gear or play in a pvp world. One that I can customize my char to my hearts content. Give me something that's fresh and new to explore with some friends.
    [Deleted User]
  • CiriCiri
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,185
    I've played practically every mmo from f2p to sub-based. All I'm going to say is that quality + customer support is a huge difference but by the end of the day I go on/off with mabi out of nostalgia reasons.

When I'm hankering for an mmo while feeling burned out from the same formula, I play rpgs instead like fallout and witcher.
    [Deleted User]
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    because you're not 13 anymore and won't associate those newer games with childhood memories, that's why no game does what mabi does to you or ever will
    [Deleted User]ZarozianXxBearslayerxXKyaryTJastec
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Too much effort and not enough revenue in return for said effort.

Everyone knows it's easy money to make a linear progression system rather than a dynamic one.
    [Deleted User]ZarozianKakiPi
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    TNinja wrote: »
    Too much effort and not enough revenue in return for said effort.

Everyone knows it's easy money to make a linear progression system rather than a dynamic one.

its literally this.
    Mabi uses skills to level up stats to a ridiculous degree.
    And all those stats (or most of them) have different damage calculations and such.
    Mabi also lets you do whatever you want where literally every other mmo just forces you to kill things for loot and grind raids everyweek.

Guess its too hard for people to get out the "easy money" box and come up with something unique for a change.
    [Deleted User]TJastecAlchemistjk
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    edited March 9, 2018
    Mabinogi is one of the most unique MMOs out there. Which comes from many many years of just adding content and new features (other than swimming!) non-stop. Many things other MMOs of the time never thought about. Like the music and rebirthing systems.

I think the next most unique MMO I ever played was a TRUE sandbox called Wurm Online. [Not to be confused with those limited 60-100 potential player ones. An actual MMORPG] You can terraform just about anything and build your own place in the wilderness. You could also get hurt in different places on your body that would need to be treated or it'd get worse and screw you over.
    That game requires way too much time and dedication. It take so much effort to build, craft, maintain, and not get eaten by everything out there. Too much going on.
    [Deleted User]TJastec
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    I can't really think of a mmo that does what mabinogi does. this game is my favourite mmo mostly cause almost all other mmos are boring and the same. but I have found a few unique or at least interesting mmos out there.

Spiral Knights: the community is kind of dead now but it is still very unique, fun, and different.

Pokemmo: a mmo that literally lets you play through some of the old Pokemon games with Kanto region, Hoenn region, and Unova region but all connected and online.

Dragon Ball Online: there are a few other mmos with systems like it but it is unique cause it is pretty much the only good Dragon Ball mmo out there. (I played on the Taiwan servers which were sadly shutdown)

Dragon Ball Online Global: literally Dragon Ball Online brought back by hardcore fans of the game looting the game files and stitching it back together and translating it into English.
    [Deleted User]
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    I used to enjoy Tales of Pirates or TOP (aka Pirate Kings Online or PKO) until it went out of business in 2016. It has a lot of unique qualities of its own (a lot of things I would love to see incorporated into our game). Things we don't have, but nothing near as good as Mabinogi. A strange sort of addictive quality game. Like Dragon Ball; the hardcore Tales of Pirates (TOP/PKO) hacking community brought the game back online (https://pirateking.online), via retrieval and translation of Chinese source files into an English release. I own a copy of the source and client files, and I operate a local-host server (for no particular reason), but I'm not at liberty to share them here of all places on the internet. ~ I hinted at this once before in a thread about boredom (something I experience a lot of lately). http://i.imgur.com/M6xgu5O.jpg

I think I have heard of TOP/PKO before. the graphic style is very similar to Dragon Ball Online. must be insanely difficult to put games like that back together. when I played on the DBO Taiwan servers it was difficult enough just learning how to install a English patch properly. the hackers probably avoid legal issues since they are in different countries or something? Pokemmo has avoided copyright issues since all content they release is their own and not copyrighted at all and it is the players job to find the roms on their own (which there are legal ways to obtain the roms but frees the game from any responsibility either way)
    [Deleted User]
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    I'm gonna be laughed at or something but MapleStory is very unique, at least for me anyway. It means a lot to me, I played MS before I even heard of Mabi.
    [Deleted User]
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Sherri wrote: »
    I'm gonna be laughed at or something but MapleStory is very unique, at least for me anyway. It means a lot to me, I played MS before I even heard of Mabi.
    Well, Maplestory was quite innovative at that time. A real time action MMORPG side-scroller wasn't something you would find any day.
    [Deleted User]
  • ValenmirValenmir
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,385
    Final Fantasy XIV kinda :x .. you have different classes you can switch to as well as life skills, or so i thought.
    [Deleted User]
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    edited March 10, 2018
    in FFXIV you don't really switch between classes, you just have like 20 characters that all look and share the same name and character slot, and you don't need to log out to switch between them, it's really more of a disadvantage since you have to share inventory space for all your characters.

but that's a good thing, because requiring you to grind every life skill and related stat increasing skill to have an endgame character is stupid

in fact the whole sandboxy design limits the game a lot since you can't really expect the devs to adjust the difficulty for a player minmaxing to a player just ranking up any skill they can, and the game does absolutely nothing to tell them to not rank up any skill they can
    [Deleted User]
  • ValenmirValenmir
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,385
    edited March 10, 2018
    KelpSoda wrote: »
    in FFXIV you don't really switch between classes, you just have like 20 characters that all look and share the same name and character slot, and you don't need to log out to switch between them, it's really more of a disadvantage since you have to share inventory space for all your characters.

._. but.. the moment you switch a weapon and so on you change class, its one character.. Or so it was when i played- unless it changed.
    Either way, you make one character and you can do more then one class on that said character.
    [Deleted User]
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    edited March 11, 2018
    Tayloreski wrote: »
    KelpSoda wrote: »

._. but.. the moment you switch a weapon and so on you change class, its one character.. Or so it was when i played- unless it changed.
    Either way, you make one character and you can do more then one class on that said character.

it has the same effect as logging out, selecting a different character, and logging back in, it's a snakeoil mechanic made to feelgood, like the illusion of choice when selecting gears and melds

the entire game felt like snake oil tbh
    [Deleted User]
  • LeiliciaLeilicia
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    Luna Online. It got shut down a while back (years ago) and idk if its back or not. It's very similar to mabi but I don't remember much since it was so long ago. I miss it though-
    [Deleted User]
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    Leilicia wrote: »
    Luna Online. It got shut down a while back (years ago) and idk if its back or not. It's very similar to mabi but I don't remember much since it was so long ago. I miss it though-

This was really the only other mmo next to Mabi that I stuck with over the years until they shut down. Then I found Celestia Luna. <3
    [Deleted User]Leilicia
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    edited March 11, 2018
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    --although I do have some choice words for "Wurm Online" (the game @Sai pointed out). I spent more time dying and trying to retrieve my things after death (from my own corpse) than I did of anything else in that game. Wurm takes survival to a whole new level. (10/10, will run for my life again).

Those were good times. Nothing like fearing for your life from everything and anything.
    [Deleted User]
  • ZarozianZarozian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
    Well there was Runescape and it was a lot easier and less grindy than Mabi.
    [Deleted User]
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Zarozian wrote: »
    Well there was Runescape and it was a lot easier and less grindy than Mabi.

I think you mean the opposite. My bf is playing Olschool Runescape and it's way more grindy and tedious than Mabinogi.