Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

PayPal transactions, and a disagreement. thoughts?

Comments

• DonPatchDonPatch
    Mabinogi Rep: 850
    Zephyrmaru wrote: »
    Oho, I see how it is. If we talk about the real reason, our post gets deleted.

To answer your post OP, the reason the person was wary of you was because he was afraid of you being a Snow Imp. You see, Snow Imps have been going around lately using Lorna's Gold Boxes to buy massive amounts of Giant Potatoes. You might be wondering, "How can Snow Imps make so much selling Giant Potatoes with Lorna's Gold Boxes" and that's a very valid question. The answer is that they go to make a Banner Imp and sell all of their Giant Potatoes in ch1 Peaca Dungeon for 70-80% of what the natural price is. Because of this, Brown Foxes tend to buy them without paying much attention, and then the Banner Imp will give all of his Alby Arena Coins to the Snow Imp before Nexon inevitably hits the Banner Imp with Spear of God. The Snow Imp will then take all of the Alby Arena Coins and use them to purchase a Stiff Stimulating R7 Bipennis.

Any novice Red Succubus who is trying to sell Giant Potatoes the normal way can't keep up with the market and should be warned to invest in either the Hot Springs Monkey Fur market or try buying and selling Alpaca Wool instead. If you are going to sell Giant Potatoes anyway, I highly recommend you only sell them to Mysterious Man you trust, or at the very least sell them to Young Tarlach and not Adult Ruairi.

And whatever you do, only tell Succubus Kristell when you're selling them, because otherwise you'll get Monkey Mask Akule at your doorstep at 4 in the morning asking if he can buy one more Giant Potato for his Barbaric Fox Scythe...because Potato Gathering is his only coping mechanism for Goddess Morrighan and him fighting and his extended time sleeping on the Single Sun Bed.

I'm dead bro lmao. absolutely dead looooool.
  • spamellaspamella
    Mabinogi Rep: 810
    edited July 19, 2018
    Or..you know.. put them in the Auction House and be done with it.

But back to the original topic. Your guildie was a jerk at best. They should not have tried to force the transaction the way they did and I have my suspicions that they wanted to use the paypal on one of the illegal sites themselves, or simply not on reforges at all. I also gotta disagree with the above opinion that the voucher system would have saved you from getting scammed. I've seen the following happen many, maaany times in trading card groups:

--Scammer completes lots of trades, gets a lot of rep in a community.
    --Scammer comes across person that seems new and naive enough to not document their side of the trade (taking pictures or video of the packing and unpacking in those cases)
    --Scammer scams them, and when Newbie cries foul twists the scant evidence in their favor. (Or, in the more toxic groups, simply does nothing while the community says 'but all my trades with them were fine')

As long as the scammer doesn't do this too often in the same group, they avoid suspicion. Or, alternatively they get their name on a list that no one checks anyway and keep doing their thing.
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Zephyrmaru wrote: »
    Oho, I see how it is. If we talk about the real reason, our post gets deleted.

Your post was removed for FUD/trying to incite. Trying to sow doubt in others and get them to adopt attitudes or actions against Nexon is against the rules. Please be mindful of this, going forward. Thank you.
  • AlalaroseAlalarose
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,955
    i think there may be a few people like that on tarlach honestly, i wouldnt have trusted em either
  • LongSlyLongSly
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,210
    Very suspicious... her reasoning makes no sense to me, even if she tries to justify it. What's also suspicious is how they keep making fragmented responses instead of one complete response like yours. I've ran into people who keep communicating like that when making a trade, and it usually leads to a sour impression or a bad result...

You already had the item on hand, you weren't offering a serial code or something that could've been used or stolen prior to the transaction, but THE actual item. Instead of wanting to do the transaction in-game they rather do it via a third-party out-of-game method, which I have seen scam people countless times in other games like TF2's hats or CS:GO skins (you be surprised how much money one would pay for a rare cosmetic in those games, it's scary and overall stupid of how to handle money properly; up to $400 or more for ONE virtual thing, it's equal to a gambling addiction).

Your method is far more safe than using a third-party method, which solely relies on trust of the other person... Whoever this was, they wanted you to do something that is illegal to the game for whatever reason they had to justify it.

If this person is this skeptical about transactions in game that they have to justify using third-party means, they might as well not be in the trading business at all in this game and buy the reforges themselves.

That's my thoughts on this...
    Foxgirlkatie
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited July 19, 2018
    LongSly wrote: »
    Very suspicious... her reasoning makes no sense to me, even if she tries to justify it. What's also suspicious is how they keep making fragmented responses instead of one complete response like yours. I've ran into people who keep communicating like that when making a trade, and it usually leads to a sour impression or a bad result...

You already had the item on hand, you weren't offering a serial code or something that could've been used or stolen prior to the transaction, but THE actual item. Instead of wanting to do the transaction in-game they rather do it via a third-party out-of-game method, which I have seen scam people countless times in other games like TF2's hats or CS:GO skins (you be surprised how much money one would pay for a rare cosmetic in those games, it's scary and overall stupid of how to handle money properly; up to $400 or more for ONE virtual thing, it's equal to a gambling addiction).

Your method is far more safe than using a third-party method, which solely relies on trust of the other person... Whoever this was, they wanted you to do something that is illegal to the game for whatever reason they had to justify it.

If this person is this skeptical about transactions in game that they have to justify using third-party means, they might as well not be in the trading business at all in this game and buy the reforges themselves.

That's my thoughts on this...

latest?cb=20130813162137

Anyway, lets take this to DM. Please feel to on here or on discord.
  • TrythisTrythis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,170
    edited July 19, 2018
    @Gaea
    They aren't talking to/about you , if you read OPs post she mentions the person blocked out in red is a her

Unless you mean you do want to talk about red person but honestly their post is just talking about how OP did not want to do a PayPal trade and how understandable it was since it was scam prone just like GTCv said but in a much lengthier kind of like bronzebeaks response.
    Bronzebreak
  • LongSlyLongSly
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,210
    @Gaea Your response confuses me...
    BronzebreakBlissfulkill
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    edited July 19, 2018
    I'm still staying with the opinion of they were trustworthy (Ironic, I don't trust anyone in game minus a handful of people regardless of their vouchers.)

I did a trade just the other day where I could've scammed for nearly 30m. 30m isn't worth dragging my name through the mud, even 200+ isn't as whats the point in good gear when no one will do content with you? Aside from that, I'm not a horrible person video game currency isn't worth potentially harming someones feelings irl.
    This goes double for sellers, their business relies on word of mouth reputation. Not saying this is the case here, but in general it is.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Paypal is flawed.

I once bought NX via Paypal, and spent it as soon as I got it. My account got flagged for "suspicious action"; apparently, they gave me the NX before the payment cleared, and I got punished for that.

So, screw Paypal.
    ZephyrmaruImaizumi
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Paypal is flawed.

I once bought NX via Paypal, and spent it as soon as I got it. My account got flagged for "suspicious action"; apparently, they gave me the NX before the payment cleared, and I got punished for that.

So, screw Paypal.

Online transactions always have risks.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited July 19, 2018
    Trythis wrote: »
    @Gaea
    They aren't talking to/about you , if you read OPs post she mentions the person blocked out in red is a her

Unless you mean you do want to talk about red person but honestly their post is just talking about how OP did not want to do a PayPal trade and how understandable it was since it was scam prone just like GTCv said but in a much lengthier kind of like bronzebeaks response.

I didn't say they were talking about me, but I would like to talk about it elsewhere, perhaps some place where we can convene off of these forums or somewhere private for this very topic. ^_^

People are so triggered by this very topic and I am very curious why. I mean it's very plausible and perhaps we need to pull our heads together.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Oh look this thread is still alive. I thought it was ninja deleted.
    [Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    This thread. The question being proposed in thread. None of it belongs here.

OP could've gotten their answer from the Terms of Use. It's extremely clear.

I. USE OF THE SERVICES

Limited License. Subject to these Terms, you may access and use the Services running operating systems on which the Services were designed to operate for your personal, non-commercial, entertainment use only. The Services are licensed, not sold, to you on a limited, revocable, non-sublicensable, nontransferable, and non-exclusive basis. You may not modify, copy (except for a single backup copy and transient copying required to operate the Services), distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, create derivative works from or adapt, sell, rent, lease, sublicense, or otherwise transfer or make available the Services or any portion thereof. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you agree that you have no right to sell or otherwise transfer any of the virtual items, virtual currency, points, or any other content or information from the Services, in whole or in part, on internet auction sites (such as eBay or IGE), hack sites, private server sites, gold farming sites, or any other third-party sites or services or in return for anything of value (whether real money or otherwise). You have no rights in or to the Services unless expressly granted to you under these Terms.

Your license is automatically rescinded and terminated if you breach any provision of the Terms.

https://www.nexon.com/main/en/legal/tou

It just basically says that if you conduct transactions like this and you get scammed they can't do anything for you. I've seen staff say this through out the years. It protects Nexon more than the player and rightfully so.