Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Server Merge

Comments

• PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Jouichirou wrote: »
    So you are telling me, this discussion has been happening since JANUARY and nothing has been done yet?
    Edit: So everyone is too worried about their names?
    Senji wrote: »
    Maybe some like " Tree of Savior " how they have a ( team name/family name/tavern name/etc ) over their char names

Guild titles ( insert here )
    then " Group Name " layer over character names
    then " character names " will remain the same

while players may have the same names running around but their group name will always be different

and certainly not gonna change my name.

^ this idea but with server they originated from as a suffix. There problem solved.
    Since we're also talking about names, how about alts, pets and partners? How will that be sorted out?

^ as stated above.
    Helsa wrote: »
    I'm expecting a full server merge in 2019.
    So whens the merger?

Not happening, low post count.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Leinei wrote: »
    Well, for starters, name conflict is a legit issue. Furthermore, considering Nexon NA doesn't program anything game-wise, they probably have to do some extensive work with Nexon Korea in order for this project to proceed, especially if we want it as seamless as possible.

Name collisions won't be an issue. Right now you can friend and chat with someone on a different server. When you do this you enter their name then you have to state which server they are on, this identifies them uniquely. Each character record already has a field stating which server they are on. This is what makes Buttmunch55 of Alexina distinguishable from Buttmunch55 from Ruari. The most important reason for the field, that indicates server of residence, is so that the log-in server knows which server to shunt the session to.

For a server merge to happen, first the databases of each server have to be merged. Since each of our characters, pets, and partners have this server field they will already be unique in a combined database. The second thing that needs to be done is that the code on the log-in server has to be modified to not read the server field first before shunting the session. That's easy enough. Since a server merge means just one server then the login server can just shunt directly to that one server. Easy Peasy.
    So whens the merger?

It's been said that when the bottom line calculations from the finance department indicates better revenue minus cost expectations under a merged server. No one but folks on the inside knows for sure but I suspect that this has already been determined as so and my gut is telling me this year 2019.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited January 7, 2019
    It is going to take some time to get it done. A server merge is going to be a big undertaking for the game.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    It is going to take some time to get it done. A server merge is going to be a big undertaking for the game.

Assuming Nexon NA can even do it CORRECTLY.
    Darkpixie99
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    edited January 7, 2019

Assuming Nexon NA can even do it CORRECTLY.

Assuming Nexon is/isn't sold off before then.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited January 9, 2019

The actual maintenance period to undertake it will probably be longer than the usual 3 hour one. It will mostly depend on how big the databases are and how long it takes the scripts to merge them. My guess is that they would announce a longer than normal maintenance just to give them some breathing room to ensure the merge went off correctly. Before any merge would occur it would be tested internally on test servers with a practice run or two. The actual act of merging the databases is something they should be able to do right now and be a fairly straight forward thing. Manipulating the code on the log-in server for a single combined server probably literally involves editing one or two lines of already existing code. Leading up to this castle ownership by guilds will have to lapse by stopping any new guilds from owning one, ditto with the houses in their respective residential areas. Between the auction house feature and the shift from residential to commercial areas this seems to have done a lot of this work already. The same will have to happen with the farms in Tailteann. Once they have all been cleared, then the merge will be able to take place. In terms of hardware requirements, all the existing hardware is already in place so a combined server will likely have many more than 7 channels. Curiously enough guild battle takes place on channel 20. All that remains is that the database cluster be robust enough to handle a larger number of channels on one server. Considering Mabinogi is, what, 15 years old, I suspect that the database software, working behind the scenes, has matured enough in that time to do the job.

I can only see two issues occurring:

- assuming Alexina's database is the largest it would make sense to merge the other three into it. After that has happened Nexon would want to clear any evidence that that is how it actually went. Not that this is not a problem per se, but non-Alexina and even some Alexina people might be upset by knowing this.

- there is one thing that will be lost by a server merge, guild stone placement. Post merge guild leaders would have to replace their stones and likely have to re-upgrade them. Those who don't get their old spots back might be upset by this not to mension be upset by the lost gold and GP spent on upgrading the stone.

Or,

Nexon could preserve upgraded stones, but then THEY would have to place them during the maintenance in order to do so, like they did for some when Poulnabrone was introduced into the game. What this means is post maintenance you will still have your stone and it will still be at the upgrade you had but you may not know where it is and you might not like where it is. In this case you can't have a perfect solution so Nexon may want feedback on which choice would be preferred. If Nexon places the stones this would greatly extend the time that is required for the actual maintenance to occur.
  • BASS1243BASS1243
    Mabinogi Rep: 500
    Ok, i know about all worry about the problems to"fuse" all servers of Mabinogi Kr and NA version in 1 global server... but...
    Why not fuse servers of Kr and NA in one server but keep every sub servers. I mean like migrate all servers like Alexia, Ruary and more from NA and all servers of Korean and put in one server without touch the server information, like Blizzard Entretaiment with World of Warcraft (WoW) but in one server surge much subservers and all players from anywhere of theworld play, and maybe NEXON add a probability of u can migrate u character and u stuff from server to other server and viceverse.
    I mean, why dont group all servers of NA and Kr in one server without be one server. Can made a server and all servers like Alexia and Ruary coming a Subservers and keep channels.
    Maybe work it. But yeah, NEXON NA and Kr need think 2 times for try keep all account data per user, like a back up by dont get problem between fuse servers, is like u see anybody get a same name in the server... thats looks like i meet a Dopperganger... maybe made a problem like the data fuse and get problem of u account like lose items, but maybe NEXOn made a programm to can filter players like this

Me: BASS1243 from Mabinogi NA
    Other user: BASS1243 from Mabinogi Kr
    (and can live in same server, but keep our own names, data include pets and stuff.

Please, NEXON, isawsome fuseserver in 1, but think about the account data first and later other stuff. If u cant keep the account data, like dont lost items coz the data of the IGN from 2 players is same? well is better dont touch anymore the Fuse servers theme.

I wish talk what i try mean in this post... with my native language... in spanish :/, ismore easy than i try feed a idea in english... Sorry guys.
  • BASS1243BASS1243
    Mabinogi Rep: 500
    Ok, i know about all worry about the problems to"fuse" all servers of Mabinogi Kr and NA version in 1 global server... but...
    Why not fuse servers of Kr and NA in one server but keep every sub servers. I mean like migrate all servers like Alexia, Ruary and more from NA and all servers of Korean and put in one server without touch the server information, like Blizzard Entretaiment with World of Warcraft (WoW) but in one server surge much subservers and all players from anywhere of theworld play, and maybe NEXON add a probability of u can migrate u character and u stuff from server to other server and viceverse.
    I mean, why dont group all servers of NA and Kr in one server without be one server. Can made a server and all servers like Alexia and Ruary coming a Subservers and keep channels.
    Maybe work it. But yeah, NEXON NA and Kr need think 2 times for try keep all account data per user, like a back up by dont get problem between fuse servers, is like u see anybody get a same name in the server... thats looks like i meet a Dopperganger... maybe made a problem like the data fuse and get problem of u account like lose items, but maybe NEXOn made a programm to can filter players like this

(and can live in same server, but keep our own names, data include pets and stuff.

Please, NEXON, isawsome fuseserver in 1, but think about the account data first and later other stuff. If u cant keep the account data, like dont lost items coz the data of the IGN from 2 players is same? well is better dont touch anymore the Fuse servers theme.

I wish talk what i try mean in this post.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited January 9, 2019
    You can't say WoW anymore; either WoWc or WoWs! :) Anyway, the technology is there to do such a thing but how do we all talk to each other. As you say you are a native Spanish speaker and recognize that your English needs work. Good for you for trying though. But this does illustrate a point. Such a server would have to be in one language, and let's face it, that language would have to be English.

Or you don't do it that way.

One would have their own localized client. This could work with set dialogues with NPC's but PC's are a whole other kettle of fish. It would require on-the-fly real-time 100% accurate translation of what is said. We know how internet is already where things can be misunderstood. So this would require some new development on the part of Nexon which would not go live for some time. Mind you, if Nexon could pull that off and develop such a technology, it would be a tremendous feather in their cap.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    BASS1243 wrote: »

I wish talk what i try mean in this post.

If I read your post correctly, you want Kr service and NA service to merge (essentially, we'd be playing alongside KR people).

No. Either we get even WORSE connections (what with having to connect to some Korean servicepoint), or Koreans finally get slammed with the same ghastly network issues that plague us here in America (a.k.a the reason why their archers are far better than ours) and give the Koreans a real reason to hate us.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Leave for 3 months, and this is the first thing I see when I come back. ~

Way more drama than any game should ever have to put up with. ~

This topic has been "ongoing" since 2009... //table-flip

Isn't it exciting when they also tell us maybe there will be server this year as well?
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited March 17, 2019
    Isn't it exciting when they also tell us maybe there will be server this year as well?

We have yet to see any official news on either server merging or an adaptation of the character transfer service.
    KR would always be the one in charge of such decisions, leaving players constantly in the dark about why we don't have server transfer service as well.
    This topic will likely continue, so long as there are new players upset with the vast amount of inactive and AFK veteran players.
    However, in light of recent talk of the Nexon founder auctioning off the company, it would be more than just KR the GMs would have to ask.
    Seeing as how Lootboxes are considered illegal gambling in the modern decade, a server merge would likey be too cost effective once gachapons are removed world wide. (If Nexon Global decides that Belgium was correct, and that preventive measures are wise.)
    We as players will remain uninformed, and as always... the Megathread gets bumped for any other threads that might have to be merged into it.
  • HelsaHelsa

We have yet to see any official news on either server merging or an adaptation of the character transfer service.
    KR would always be the one in charge of such decisions, leaving players constantly in the dark about why we don't have server transfer service as well.
    This topic will likely continue, so long as there are new players upset with the vast amount of inactive and AFK veteran players.
    However, in light of recent talk of the Nexon founder auctioning off the company, it would be more than just KR the GMs would have to ask.
    Seeing as how Lootboxes are considered illegal gambling in the modern decade, a server merge would likey be too cost effective once gachapons are removed world wide. (If Nexon Global decides that Belgium was correct, and that preventive measures are wise.)
    We as players will remain uninformed, and as always... the Megathread gets bumped for any other threads that might have to be merged into it.

Either we are hearing the amount that we are hearing because they just aren't planning on doing so, or right now it's not a first priority. At the campfire event it looked as though their to-do list extended until summer of this year.

The good thing about threads such as these that discuss the issue is that there is a chance the community will come up with a problem that Nexon might not have anticipated and so help them pull it off better. Issues such as guild stone placement are basically bookkeeping issues that can be implemented independently by each of the world installs of Mabinogi, meaning no real requirement for new coding from Korea. Single account bank merger brought on by server merger might require modest work on the game code from Korea but then again might be entirely handled by scripts running on the database during the change-over maintenance. Twiddling the session shunting code on the log-in server might require a patch sent from Korea but then again it might be easily handled locally and even be as simple as changing a resource value.

There have been some curious changes to the game over the past year that make a server merge easier to do; some of these being things that needed to occur for it to happen. That coupled with the fact that Nexon brought up the topic of server merge at the campfire when they really didn't need to has made some folks, including myself, suspect that a server merge is nigh.
    Darkpixie99
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    I want to say, rather than crying about something that is probably a technical nightmare to do, why not make complains to NA about something they can do. Namely advertise the game more and push for more people to play the game so that instead of having to complain about a server merge, we fill up the servers instead.
    Darkpixie99
  • HelsaHelsa
    Or do both!
    Darkpixie99
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    The campfire event specifically said "server merge?"
    And literally never once stated that there was going to be a server merge.
    As for the one thread made "just for fun"
    It also had name changes in that thread and had nearly the same or more votes for name change.
    Then low and behold they tell us that we're getting name changes this year.

Basically server merge is most likely not coming.
    Just like how it hasn't for the past "9 years people have been asking for it"
    Everything to this points has been hype or and attempt to force Korea to see that NA wants a merge.
    Even Supreme said this at the campfire event. That we want it, at an event with the korean devs.
    At this point i'm just gonna keep assuming there is no merge until nexon tells me otherwise.
    Darkpixie99
  • TwlnTwln
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
    edited May 18, 2019
    Well. Only took them a years of demeands LOL I only know because this youtube channel told me

1:57

So . I'm guessing Mabinogi didnt improve much after I quit years ago to hit this point.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Twln wrote: »
    Well. Only took them a years of demeands LOL I only know because this youtube channel told me
    This thread was meant to be archived, and has not yet been archived.
    Server Merge Announcement Page

• TwlnTwln
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020

I already know about the server merge. I just came back to see how low the population was to make Nexon listen LOL
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited May 18, 2019

I already know about the server merge. I just came back to see how low the population was to make Nexon listen LOL

How low of you coming to forums only to make fun of us.
    Draech