Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Server Merge

Comments

• BlortadBlortad
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,490
    Would it be possible to do cross-server content? We can already add friends from other servers, so would it be possible to have something like a means to invite people from another server to a party for instanced content like dungeons and shadow missions? That way there doesn't have to be any massively costly adjustments made to accommodate a server merge. Maybe there could be a cross-server channel for people who want to try doing cross-server field bosses. This would completely eliminate the problem of Ancient and field boss monsters being killed too quickly, the problem of name overlap, the problem of transfer of bank, dressing room, and pet data, and even the seemingly impossible problem of guild names and stone placement, but it still allows for a good solution to the problem at hand in that low population servers have trouble getting some things done. It could even be as simple as having a single cross-server zone you can enter through some means solely for the purpose of forming a group, then when you exit that channel you get taken to the native server of the host of the party. Names at that point would be as simple as adding the players server name when they are doing cross server activities.
  • ookieookie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,925
    edited September 27, 2018
    maybe Mabi could just advertise better outside of Korea to fill up all the servers....while they're at it put in a new 'visual' playing mechanic.....underwater....i've pushed for an Atlantis tie in years back....legend has it that Druids were descended from Atlantis so it totally ties in....we need this....new dungeons, pets, NPCs, items, clothing, weapons....so many things in game are already capable of crossing over like Bone Marine Armor might actually serve a purpose....also we have the NPC named Aer that can serve as the medium so to speak between realms.....who wouldn't want to fight a kraken boss...flying is the same as swimming just with different backgrounds....instead of focusing on condensing Mabi perhaps try to grow it instead
    THICCthighssavelivesBronzebreak
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited September 27, 2018
    Helsa wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Darkpixie99
    If they give name priority to anyone, it might be whoever had the name first, amongst all the servers. (IE- Veteran 1st Anniversary or CBT vs 8th Anniversary.)
    You don't know this. -- It's just another assumption. -- It's been talked about time and time again for 12 stinking years, and there's still no reason in the world why same name characters cannot coexist on the same server (just like equips, mobs and npcs do all day long). As stated in the previous forum, the server name can be amended to chat, guild, and on hover when holding alt; instead of stinking up the name / title line (so people know who each other are). ~ There is no reason aside from absolutely laziness to make people fight over their names. Not to mention some of us having same name characters on all of the 4 servers (like myself; Hardmuscle on all 4).

Well exactly! For all four Hardmuscles to have what would amount to be the funniest group PvP ever to occur would literally require (given four servers) adding as little as 2 bits to the size of each characters record. You're totally right, name collisions are just not gonna be a problem.

I guess the word might was rather lost somewhere.
    Again, this thread's meant for discussing speculation as reasonable as the text sounds to the poster.
    (Mostly it's just a dump thread I left to Vmods for untangling the massive wave of server merge threads.)
    But as I said, whichever character Hardmuscle created first, down to the very second recorded in the code, might be the only one on his account with that name. (Megaserver speculation.)
    The example I gave was a simple solution of many, and it doesn't necessarily reflect what Nexon wants in a server merge.
    (Whatever Ferghus kinda deal that is.)

Regardless, duplicate names are always an issue with server merges. It's practically unavoidable, unless you adopt WildStar's two name method.
    I rather like the idea for a display toggle method, but it might be a bit too complex for Nexon.
    (Given the GMS issues in the past with server and client crashes.)
    Whatever system they're on right now for Mabinogi, is no doubt old, and probably a bit outdated for such a method.
    But then again, we as players don't really know what they've been up to behind the scenes.
    Having the servers be invisible in the background is one thing, but displaying them is another.
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a game that does cross server playability without server initials in brackets, displayed on some character UI display.
    Doing the same might take the joy out of the game for the RP fans who don't use it to pair up with a guild.
    anime-thinking-gif.gif?w=676
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Honestly, what proportion of the active community will be impacted by name collisions with another person?
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Congrats folks merging is maybe happening since it says

* Server merge??

So maybe it will happen, maybe it won't maybe something similar? O 3o
  • DrognakDrognak
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,165
    Really worried about the merge. Got an active family and guild, lots of items on pets and in the dressing room, etc.

If there's any data loss I'd rather not go through with it.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Why won't these fears die! There will not be name collisions. The ALREADY EXISTING FIELD that says what server we are on will make you unique. Your name will be fine. You will not lose pets or possessions there is no reason for them to be lost, this is just a database merge, nothing more. The only thing that will need to be competed for. post merge, is guild stone spots. The only other faux pas Nexon can do then is if they forget to rename Alexina when the other three databases are merged into it. It'll be fine and it is happening. I said so months ago.
    IyasenuZeo
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Name change and server merge is a maybe. Rather than speculate now just wait to see how things go next year
  • SenjiSenji
    Mabinogi Rep: 720
    edited December 3, 2018
    Maybe some like " Tree of Savior " how they have a ( team name/family name/tavern name/etc ) over their char names

Guild titles ( insert here )
    then " Group Name " layer over character names
    then " character names " will remain the same

while players may have the same names running around but their group name will always be different

and certainly not gonna change my name.
    Since we're also talking about names, how about alts, pets and partners? How will that be sorted out?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Since we're also talking about names, how about alts, pets and partners? How will that be sorted out?

They're all themselves from one of the four great houses. So the same as regular characters; no problem.
    Kensamaofmari
  • LosheLoshe
    Mabinogi Rep: 620
    +1 to marge all in one
    ZeoJouichirou
  • JouichirouJouichirou
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    edited December 21, 2018
    So you are telling me, this discussion has been happening since JANUARY and nothing has been done yet?
    Edit: So everyone is too worried about their names?
    Senji wrote: »
    Maybe some like " Tree of Savior " how they have a ( team name/family name/tavern name/etc ) over their char names

while players may have the same names running around but their group name will always be different

^ this idea but with server they originated from as a suffix. There problem solved.

^ as stated above.
  • HelsaHelsa
    I'm expecting a full server merge in 2019.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,155
    Guild names are global. Least you won't have to worry about that.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Jouichirou wrote: »
    So you are telling me, this discussion has been happening since JANUARY and nothing has been done yet?

^ this idea but with server they originated from as a suffix. There problem solved.

^ as stated above.

Well, for starters, name conflict is a legit issue. Furthermore, considering Nexon NA doesn't program anything game-wise, they probably have to do some extensive work with Nexon Korea in order for this project to proceed, especially if we want it as seamless as possible.

Also, the forums have been going on longer than January (Is that when we got the new forum setup?) and so has the server merge topic. =T
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited December 22, 2018
    The whole idea is cancer.

I'd rather not play with the garbage from Alexina.

^ as stated above.
    The discussion has been happening since 2010.

Nothing happened then, and nothing will happen now

Also, your post count is too low.

In fact, a majority of those supporting a "merge" have a low (VERY low) post count; like they were made just to make the "merge" crowd look bigger.
    Helsa wrote: »
    I'm expecting a full server merge in 2019.
    00XGXjt.gif
  • JouichirouJouichirou
    edited December 23, 2018
    deleted
  • JouichirouJouichirou
    So whens the merger?
    So whens the merger?

Whenever they decide if it's good to do a merge.
    WolfsingerDarkpixie99