Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Defeating the Ulgarms...

Comments

• NaxosNaxos
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,405
    For those still having problems with the run away method, I remind you : It autofails when too many spawn, all you have to do to counter this is to kill 1 Ulgarms Before the mission ends, Simply go back to Subaru and kill an Ulgarm when the timer hits 01:00.

From what I noticed -1- is enough.
  • bobobobo
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,775
    edited August 19, 2018

spam normal attacks as fast as possible to cut down the amount of mobs.
    use ice spear mostly to hold aggro if it's too overwhelming.
    use stronger chain skills on the tankier ulgarms

hope this helps!
    Greta
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited August 19, 2018
    bobo wrote: »

hope this helps!

Thanks for clarifying about Rem's Morningstar. A lot of players assumed it can be used to cast Intermediate Magic. It's hilarious how this weapon in first few days of gacha was worthy of like 3-5m and suddenly jumped up to freaking 8m and even more. There's was even a few that costed around 20-60m too for some reason. AH is so random sometimes. That weapon has such crappy stats as well.
  • NeirennNeirenn
    Mabinogi Rep: 490
    I managed to clear it on day 1 too. My runs looked a lot like Policroma's video. towards the end of this chore of an event. Though maybe not as clean as theirs, except on my less laggy runs.

Anyways, for those still working on this, just focus on clearing the waves with normal attacks, skills are practically a waste of time. A wave has a big and a lil wolf, or 4 to 5 lil ones. I just let the big ones go after subaru, while I mopped up all the lil ones hopefully before they even noticed me. If you managed to clear the first 3 waves completely or just have a couple of the big wolves attacking subaru to knock him away, you have a pretty good chance of winning, even if you lose control of the fight at that point. Granted there are the unlucky crits on him, so if you can keep clearing the waves even better. My lag didnt let me win everytime, but the success rate for me was definately over 90%. Well good luck to those of you still working on it.
  • TarlachJaedenTarlachJaeden
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Some of you guys are just petty. =/

Can confirm as someone with a low reaction time that just reg. attacking can get the job 3/5 times. What I've noticed is that if I can get the first 2 waves cleared, then I am almost always able to get to the end. If I can't even get the first wave clear before the domino ripple begins then I'm just prepared to have a bad time by the end. There's a bit of RNG involved in hoping that the one or two that attacks Subaru will push him back away from the spawning point, but there's sometimes that the doggos will push him back into the spawn area depending on the direction he runs once knocked down.

It's frustrating but like after using up my tickets I've saved from yesterday and 5 quests from today, I'm 3/6 and positive that I will see the end of the week event by tomorrow.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    In defeating ulgarms, I ended up running around the entire Tir and it is basically the regular Tir but at night and no npcs and you can enter buildings. But, for some reason you can do bandit pursuit, which is useless because you can't enter Dugald.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Greta wrote: »
    bobo wrote: »

hope this helps!

Thanks for clarifying about Rem's Morningstar. A lot of players assumed it can be used to cast Intermediate Magic. It's hilarious how this weapon in first few days of gacha was worthy of like 3-5m and suddenly jumped up to freaking 8m and even more. There's was even a few that costed around 20-60m too for some reason. AH is so random sometimes. That weapon has such crappy stats as well.

Its just a reskinned Cutthroat Chain Blade. That's all it is.
  • NerezzaNerezza
    Mabinogi Rep: 685
    Look on the bright side: The mission says to protect Subaru for a full minute, but whoever wrote the mission accidentally made the target time 45 seconds instead :3
  • CloverslothCloversloth
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    LUCKILY I got the Rem and Ram Chair from a reward box from the quest repeat.
  • CicholsbaneCicholsbane
    Mabinogi Rep: 425
    Nerezza wrote: »
    Look on the bright side: The mission says to protect Subaru for a full minute, but whoever wrote the mission accidentally made the target time 45 seconds instead :3

It takes a minute. If you watch the timer as soon as you spawn in, it's already at 15 seconds, and you do not automatically clear once the timer hits 1:00.

On-topic: I think people are overthinking this mission. Both the chain blade and magic loadouts are quite doable without running away for a full minute, and with very consistent success. My hotkey notation might be a bit off since it's been several days since I completed the week two RP quests, so if they're off, it's only by one key.

Universal Strats:

-The most important starting skills for either skillset are Dorcha Conversion for Chain Blade and Ice Spear for Magic. Incidentally, both skills are right next to each other on the keyboard, so keep your fingers above the - and = keys for what skillset you get. If Magic, start chain-casting Ice Spear. If Chain Blade, pop Dorcha Conversion. It is really easy to tell what loadout you get from a glance based on the end of your hotkey bar.

-Your basic attack is excellent for thinning the smaller Ulgarm numbers. They ideally get one-shot, but outside of Deadly survival, none of them should take more than two hits to kill.

-The Chain Blade basic attack has variable attack speed. The closer you are to your target, the faster you attack.

-If you must use skills when you're getting overwhelmed, prioritize enemies near Subaru.

-When the Ulgarms spawn, kill the ones closer to Subaru first and, if need be, put yourself between Subaru to draw aggro.

-If you must leave Subaru to fend off a stray Ulgarm, the big, tanky Ulgarms are ideal. They hit for next to no damage and are only dangerous when countering. In the best case scenario, a big Ulgarm can push Subaru far away from the aggro of the other spawns.

Magic:

-Chain Cast Ice Spear the moment you recognize your loadout. You should have 3 charges and be halfway through your fourth by the time the first wave spawns. If you were charging immediately upon spawning, do not stop casting until you reach five. If you were late for any reason, stop at four.

-Target an Ulgarm close to Subaru once you're ready to fire Ice Spear. Ideally, you will hit multiple targets but save at least one smaller Ulgarm for last. Draw its aggro and keep it close to the currently frozen target(s). The reason for charging as long as possible is because the second wave should spawn before the first detonation. By keeping at least one smaller Ulgarm alive, even if your detonation misses most of the second spawn, you have an extra target for chaining the detonation.

-If your first spawn has a large Ulgarm, use Ice Spear on it first and begin wailing on it with your basic attack. Ideally, you will get it within killing range from the detonation and will still chain to the next spawn.

-ANY time you have nothing to do, you should be casting one charge of Ice Spear to hit anything the detonation chains miss. If you are being pushed around by spawns, use basic attack to get breathing room, and only then prep an Ice Spear. It's up to you whether you target the enemies closest to Subaru or the ones aggroing you, but generally you should prioritize Subaru if he's in trouble.

Chain Blade:

-The minute you recognize your loadout, cast Dorcha Conversion. You have more than enough health to spare for this cast, and the only way you could hope to die is repeatedly running into counterattacks. This immediately gives you 6 bars of Dorcha energy. Your basic attack also fills the gauge, albeit slower (each hit is half a bar, and I think crits are a full bar).

-If the first wave is smaller Ulgarms, kill them with your basic attack. You have slightly more than enough time to kill all of them before the next wave spawns, even if one or two Ulgarms from the first wave take multiple hits to kill. If a large Ulgarm spawns, spam Chain Impale on it (I believe this is 8 on the hotkey bar). It dies in a single crit, but two Impales and a couple basic attacks will also do the trick. It is also the case that your basic attack is stronger with the Chain Blade loadout than the Magic loadout, since you have more skills and stats supporting your weapon.

-If you are getting overwhelmed, Chain Sweep (0 on the hotkeys, if I recall) is useful so long as you are predicting where the Ulgarms are going to be and not just targeting where they are. Once you select your zone, it takes 2 seconds before the hit comes. Only enemies present in the zone at the moment of that hit will be affected by the skill. It's generally a good idea to include either yourself or Subaru in the skill's targeting zone, since chances are, the reason you're using Chain Sweep will be because one or both of you are being swarmed. One of Chain Sweep's greatest advantages is that the startup and most of the recovery give you Advanced Heavy Stander.

Once I got the hang of this mission, it took about as long as the first week to clear. Hell, it was probably even faster (I built up 35 metias at one point towards the end of my grind, and succeeded at 29 of them). The mission is fine. Change the way you approach it before saying it's poorly designed.
  • VenezziaofArcadiaVenezziaofArcadia
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,270
    This mission is not as hard as the whining first led me to believe; matter of fact, come Week 4 I think I'll do this mission since I find it far easier and entertaining than avoiding the ulgrims.

Another tip I think has yet not been mentioned: the large ulgrams deal almost no damage to Subaru, so you don't have to panic if one targets him, just ignore it and go for the small ones.
    Ktty
  • CalmWinterCalmWinter
    Mabinogi Rep: 815
    The game has been running for 14 years in Korea.
    The game has been runnin for 10 years in NA.

AND IN ALL THAT TIME THIS WAS NEVER EVER CORRECTED:

KCNNhsV.png

I can't believe that's still an issue.
  • IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
    edited August 21, 2018
    But how else will you know the rank of your mastery skills on the fly?

On a serious note, yeah this is pretty annoying but the default keybindings for RP missions have always been super janky.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    You only need basic attack in the Rem RP, anyways.
  • CalmWinterCalmWinter
    Mabinogi Rep: 815
    Iyasenu wrote: »

No you don't.

That's what people that were lucky enough to 1 hi ko all the ulgarms in 1 run say.

In reality there is a big chance the ulgarm is on deadly or 20% HP after a hit, almost always guarantees another ulgarm will start targetting you, constantly knocking-down you until you fail the mission.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    CalmWinter wrote: »
    Iyasenu wrote: »

No you don't.

That's what people that were lucky enough to 1 hi ko all the ulgarms in 1 run say.

In reality there is a big chance the ulgarm is on deadly or 20% HP after a hit, almost always guarantees another ulgarm will start targetting you, constantly knocking-down you until you fail the mission.

My reality is a lot different from yours, I guess.
    I didn't fail any runs after I stopped trying to be fancy with Chain Sweep or Ice Spear and just spammed basic attack.

You attack faster if you're closer to the target, so try not to spam basic attack from the max range, it'll be slower.
    It should be enough to take the occasional non-1hko or deadly.
    That and make use of Counter if you get hit, it's bound to finish off the one that activates your counter, and that's one less wolf hitting you.

The biggest thing is not clearing the enemies fast enough, if you get even slightly backed up, it just makes it much harder to manage.
    offwithyourheads
    But it is true that listing useless skills for a RP mission is quite pointless.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165

Yeah we know captain obvious! But it's not obvious to them! XD
    Helsa
    Gaea wrote: »

Yeah we know captain obvious! But it's not obvious to them! XD

captain-obvious-skipping-hed-2016.png
    Really?...
    Clovis15BlissfulkillSherriCrimsọn
  • SlugFillerSlugFiller
    Mabinogi Rep: 490
    I know it's a bit late, what with the week being almost over, but I figured out a 100% way to defeat the Ulgrams. Since I've found this out, I haven't failed the mission even once.

What you need to do is, as soon the mission starts, run over the Deian's place (That's the shepherd in Tir). Move quickly. If you've done it quickly enough, you will win just as his hut (Barn? I'm not sure what that is) comes into view.

I've tested it myself, multiple times, and it works. I hope this is helpful to any of you who are still not done with the event this week.