Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Renovation Season 3 Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/74541/renovation-season-3-patch-notes-may-26th-2022
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why are people killing the market on purpose?

Comments

  • Al_CidAl_Cid
    Mabinogi Rep: 840
    Posts: 16
    Member
    An item is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. Basic economics dude. Crying on the forums won't change that.
    GretaPolicromaAlexisEULeineiCrimsọnoffwithyourheadsImaizumiWolfandWolfLutetiumAlshianand 4 others.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,745
    Posts: 4,986
    Member
    If I read it correctly, the latest wings gacha pretty much guarantees you'll get SOME kind of wings, and several to boot. It is first year basic Micro-economics, oversupply means lower prices. No mystery here.
    Greta
  • FroglordFroglord
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,920
    Posts: 337
    Member
    The logical answer is this; People suck, they really really really reeeaaaallly suck.

    Just like there are people who will post multiple listings on an Auction board to make it look like multiple people are underselling themselves, it's just another elaborate attempt at driving down the price of something to buy it, and resell it later for alot more.

    There are also people who will try to "shoot themselves in the foot", or under appreciate and undersell an item just to take a dump on future sellers to establish a consensus that an item is not needed, or not that great just to be a malicious cancer.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,765
    Posts: 6,975
    Member
    edited March 9, 2019
    I like how whole forums got called toxic for saying the truth, but when OP complained claiming that people ruin market on "purpose" for selling stuff for too low, because they think their price is reasonable in which is not considered to be toxic for some reason.
    Ok, great logic there.
    Let people sell low to get rid of stuff faster. Stop being self entitled jerks. Their stuff - their price.
    KttyLutetiumAlshianKensamaofmariTtheHero
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    Posts: 1,752
    Member
    edited March 9, 2019
    buzzwords you say.... :thinking:



    I had a spicy meme to post but I don't wanna get banned :|
    Lutetium
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,640
    Posts: 675
    Member
    edited March 9, 2019
    FayeKaiba wrote: »

    Normally first 24 hours is hard to pick what to sell stuff at. Yesterday when the gacha came out. After an hour people were trying to sell the floral fairy wings for 25-45m. This morning they are down to 750k-2m.

    I was able to buy Orange Floral Fairy Wings at 300k this morning on Mari. I didn't even want them really, but the super low price told me to grab it. :x

    It's pretty funny sometimes. Wish something I actually wanted dropped like that.
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,255
    Posts: 232
    Member
    I wrote a really long response but like Arjune I fear the Mods would have felt it was too spicy so heres a very mild substitution so I don't have a saved draft when I view the thread again which conveys most of my feelings on the subject at hand:
    02a642964c.jpg

  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,890
    Posts: 786
    Member
    edited March 9, 2019
    Ah....Look. And I hope you won't take this the wrong way. But think of it like this: You can try and sell pistachio ice cream to a group of people as much as you want, but if they don't like pistachio ice cream they will never buy it. It's in the same line of reasoning: you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

    The AH is not made of infinite money that is randomly generated at will. It's comprised of consumers who are real people, with real likes and dislikes and tastes in fashion. They will spend ridiculous amounts on things they really want, and refuse expensive prices on things they don't want. And there tends to be trends: When it comes to wings, I've noticed that the following tends to fish the highest prices:

    1. Wings with combat/idle animations (bonus if they're black or white)
    2. Enchantable wings (bonus if they're black or white or have animation)
    3. Feathery, decently sized (*not tiny/miniature) wings that are ALSO black or white (must be both; any other colors are sold very cheaply)
    4. Dyeable wings of any kind.

    The Abaddon box, unfortunately, does not have any of these top contenders. So I do not anticipate that this is something people would want enough to pay higher than 5mil for (*depending on which server's market is. But basically, no higher than an average, middle of the road wing price).

    People tend to really want whatever the latest and greatest gacha has to offer, and unless the item is in high demand (Cheerful Bride outfit), they're usually willing to leave older gacha items in the dust so they can focus on raising money for the new gacha. Having someone sell an Abaddon wing at around 3 mil is pretty reasonable, and is at a price most likely to sell in this current context (because Abaddon stuff is "old gacha").

    Another thing to consider is that there are a lot of people in the game are not rich enough to drop more than 4 mil on a single item on a whim; those who are usually deal in gacha themselves, and likely already have the item in question (so wouldn't bother spending to get it anyways). A lot of people who may not be terribly rich might be more willing to spend on items that are practical (training pots, enchants), and so they may prefer to save their money for those items instead of fashion.

    No one is stopping you from trying to sell higher, and you may actually get a sale by someone who desperately wants it. But that may be nothing more than a rare anomaly, and not a guaranteed one either. You might have to be lucky enough to find a rich whale who didn't dabble in the Abaddon box, but that will simply take time. Perhaps even months worth of time trying to sell the item. But if you're committed, it's possible. A lot of people are currently looking through the Wings slot of the AH, because of the new gacha, so now is definitely a good time to sell wings (because they're more likely to look through wings and notice them).

    As to the reason why people undercut themselves or sell things at lower prices: I cannot speak for everyone. But for myself? I often find myself having too much stuff to sell, and only 12 auction house slots. I don't really have the space to waste on items that take weeks on weeks to sell, especially when I get new stuff. So yes, I will sometimes sell things at a much lower price just to get rid of the item and make space for new stuff, especially if the new stuff I get is currently "hot" on the market.

    I hope this helps! ^ ^
    PolicromaVeylaineFariison
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,755
    Posts: 1,230
    Member
    edited March 10, 2019
    I see nothing ruined here...Just players doing they're own thing, nothing wrong. Its really up to the buyers, when they see what look like a good deal, they take it.
    If you think its being ruined as in players ruining "Your" chance for the big golds then I guess its a problem for "you" but not me or anyone else with gold in the pockets willing to pay what they want.

    Don't want to be "One of those" but this post is just plain stupid just sell the items for the price you like and if no one takes it? Well deal with it, your not playing with idiots who prefer to buy high instead of low, anyone would prefer to buy low. You can't control what others can price items, let them do what they like and do your own thing.

    Posts are becoming more selfish than good and I can't be the one to say in the matter THAT is just what is sad about this post. Things like this happens in games, its reality.
    GretaCrimsọn
  • JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,300
    Posts: 499
    Member
    I guess the most evil and toxic players those who give things to people for free?

    On another note, why do people pay more for the exact same item? Sometimes I'll put an item up for sale at a higher price than other exact items to anticipate the price rising. I expect it to sell over night after the cheaper ones have sold. A few minutes later mine sells. I look at the AH board and see the cheaper ones still for sale. It baffles me. Do people not sort by price? Or maybe they're feeling extra generous?
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,765
    Posts: 6,975
    Member
    edited March 10, 2019
    jjeremy wrote: »
    I guess the most evil and toxic players those who give things to people for free?

    On another note, why do people pay more for the exact same item? Sometimes I'll put an item up for sale at a higher price than other exact items to anticipate the price rising. I expect it to sell over night after the cheaper ones have sold. A few minutes later mine sells. I look at the AH board and see the cheaper ones still for sale. It baffles me. Do people not sort by price? Or maybe they're feeling extra generous?

    Probably OP bought them so they could trick people into buying them for higher. :trollface:
    Kidding. Just saying random conspiracies like one guy did above.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 64,205
    Posts: 8,867
    Member
    edited March 10, 2019
    I give stuff for free all the time to help my friends and guild members in Blackwatch. I sell stuff way cheaper than anyone else and still have tons of gold. I am destabilizing the market and screwing people out of becoming super rich through my selfless generosity! I am the most toxic player of all time! Woooooooo!!!

    Can I get a title?
    KttyTheNyanCatWolfsingernajee508Fariisonduckman
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,290
    Posts: 2,789
    Member
    Gaea wrote: »
    I give stuff for free all the time to help my friends and guild members in Blackwatch. I sell stuff way cheaper than anyone else and still have tons of gold. I am destabilizing the market and screwing people out of becoming super rich through my selfless generosity! I am the most toxic player of all time! Woooooooo!!!

    Can I get a title?

    No, but I can include you in my documentary.

    Mabinogi: Players from HELL.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,745
    Posts: 4,986
    Member
    When you hear on TV occasionally how some rich person had some bad luck and are upset about it, most folks react by saying something like "Oh poor millionaire now you're only a millionaire." Regular people have little sympathy for the wealthy. So, the lesson here is that since most folks are buyers and not sellers, when a seller complains they are unlikely to be met with sympathy.
    LutetiumJJduckman
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 64,205
    Posts: 8,867
    Member
    edited March 10, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »
    When you hear on TV occasionally how some rich person had some bad luck and are upset about it, most folks react by saying something like "Oh poor millionaire now you're only a millionaire." Regular people have little sympathy for the wealthy. So, the lesson here is that since most folks are buyers and not sellers, when a seller complains they are unlikely to be met with sympathy.

    Seller who is a buyer trying to buy this thing but can't get enough gold because their things are not selling for enough and so they rage about it. That's OP in a nutshell.

    Solution: Get off your butt OP and make more gold other ways along with the stuff you are trying to sell.
    Alshianduckman
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,755
    Posts: 1,230
    Member
    Gaea wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    When you hear on TV occasionally how some rich person had some bad luck and are upset about it, most folks react by saying something like "Oh poor millionaire now you're only a millionaire." Regular people have little sympathy for the wealthy. So, the lesson here is that since most folks are buyers and not sellers, when a seller complains they are unlikely to be met with sympathy.

    Seller who is a buyer trying to buy this thing but can't get enough gold because their things are not selling for enough and so they rage about it. That's OP in a nutshell.

    Solution: Get off your butt OP and make more gold other ways along with the stuff you are trying to sell.

    But these days players like them just get to lazy to make extra gold instead of JUST selling...

    May the god of wealth have mercy on the souls of the lazy~ XD
    duckman
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 64,205
    Posts: 8,867
    Member
    edited March 11, 2019
    And...comments were deleted. Damn, some of those were good. Maybe too good. Damn.
  • YuoichiYuoichi
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,435
    Posts: 161
    Member
    Ok lol u acted salty here
    I dont care who you are or what you are AND if I want to sell it for 250K THAT MEANS I WANT TO.
    duckman
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,685
    Posts: 7,898
    Member
    Greta wrote: »
    I like how whole forums got called toxic for saying the truth, but when OP complained claiming that people ruin market on "purpose" for selling stuff for too low, because they think their price is reasonable in which is not considered to be toxic for some reason.
    Ok, great logic there.
    Let people sell low to get rid of stuff faster. Stop being self entitled jerks. Their stuff - their price.

    In this day and age, truth isn't truth!
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,765
    Posts: 6,975
    Member
    Really... Huh. I don't see any changes here..? I think?

    Not surprised if Gaea's got deleted... :trollface: