Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Doki Dye event

orcabluewaorcabluewa
Mabinogi Rep: 1,330
in General Chat
I have tried different combinations and still only seem to be able to make a light greyish color. Does anyone know if there are specific combinations to get certain colors or is the color just random?

Comments

• nevyn25nevyn25
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,135
    the good ingredients increase the colour values, making it gradually lighter, up to pure white. the rotten ones gradually decrease values towards pure black. for example, if you want pure purple you have to decrease green to zero by catching the rotten green things, while avoiding the red and blue ones to keep those at 128. I don't know which value poduces which colour though. also keep in mind the pressing spacebar gives up to 10x multiplier, meaning an ingredient of +/- 1 is worth +/- 10
    TwelieSakura2503
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited March 20, 2019
    Using this event to obtain pure whites and blacks is sooo pointless. Better make rarer colors than that. Also it's impossible to get it even pure, unless you are pro at it.
  • SylviaWolfeSylviaWolfe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,310
    Greta wrote: »
    Using this event to obtain pure whites and blacks is sooo pointless. Better make rarer colors than that. Also it's impossible to get it even pure, unless you are pro at it.

Pointless/impossible lol? You just take the values to a multiple of 5/10 and then spam the x5 or x10 multiplier to hit white/black pure dye respectively. Usually takes me like 3-4 tries to get a pure dye. Much respect to folks who can get their specific non- 0/0/0 or 255/255/255 dye.
    Sakura2503Policroma
  • LepeltjeLepeltje
    Mabinogi Rep: 895
    orcabluewa wrote: »
    I have tried different combinations and still only seem to be able to make a light greyish color. Does anyone know if there are specific combinations to get certain colors or is the color just random?

Each color value represents a strength of red, green and blue. You can mix them to create other colors such as for eg: 255 red and green become yellow, 255 red and blue is a magenta and so on.

If you don't know what numbers you need to make a specific color you can try opening paint or another program and selecting a color you like. You can see the red green and blue values from there and try to match the values in the minigame to get it.
    Crimsọn
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Greta wrote: »

Pointless/impossible lol? You just take the values to a multiple of 5/10 and then spam the x5 or x10 multiplier to hit white/black pure dye respectively. Usually takes me like 3-4 tries to get a pure dye. Much respect to folks who can get their specific non- 0/0/0 or 255/255/255 dye.

It is pointless, but it is not impossible. I did it twice, before realizing it is a waste since I can vie for it with enough regular dye ampoules, but not say, pure red.
    GretaSylviaWolfeImaizumi
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Be aware of the spacebar.
    SylviaWolfe
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    I can make my perfect R:0 G:80 B:32 dye almost every time... though sometimes I settle for R:0 G:82 B:34 etc etc. as long as it's 1-2 pixels off idc :P gonna start going for my brown wig color soon though
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    I've been going for even grays. Don't care about the shade, as long as the values are balanced the same.

:)
    Kensamaofmari
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited March 21, 2019
    Yeah same thing, when making true crimson dyes I've just been going with 118,8,8 and 78,8,8 and 48,8,8. It's easier and faster, gives me the 3 different crimson shades I need. I intend to have in total close to 300 dyes by the time this event is over. I will never have to buy dyes again (as long as I don't frivolously use them, and these will be for my private and personal use only).
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Yall weak
    D3tmS.png
    D1B99.png

(I turned the pure black into a metal dye, of course. Goodness knows how many synthed black cloth dyes I still have left to sell.)

The only other thing I've made is a metal version of that bright purple that came from pet dyes. Might start loading up on some proper burgundies too - I vaguely remember struggling to find one for a wig and people are selling the Eweca Orb burgundy for 6m or some nonsense.

=======================

As for OP and any other confused people - if this is the first time you've seen colours defined in numbers between 0 to 255, welcome to the RGB colour space. The numbers are not random. This is how colours are encoded on screens like your computer and your TV.

Quick guide for how colours work in this system:
    - If you have R at 255 and the other two at 0, you get pure red.
    - If you have G at 255 and the other two at 0, you get pure green.
    - If you have B at 255 and the other two at 0, you get pure blue.

The RGB model is additive, meaning that when you add colours together, they become lighter. (This is the opposite from subtractive colours, like inks and paints. It actually makes zero sense for a natural dye mixture to be additive, but that's Mabi for you, I guess.)

RGB_illumination.jpg

Following this:
    - If you have R and G at 255 and B at 0, you get yellow. (Adding red and green light together)
    - If you have R and B at 255 and G at 0, you get magenta. (Adding red and blue light together)
    - If you have G and B at 255 and R at 0, you get cyan. (Adding green and blue light together)
    - If you have all R, G and B at 255, you get white. (Adding all lights together)

What happens when a value is at 0? That's equivalent to that colour of light not being there, so an RGB value of (0,0,0) is black.

All other colours can be made by adjusting the amount of red, green and blue you put in. The smaller the number, the dimmer the light.

That's why, in order to get deep red (the only dye worth making), you turn off the green and blue lights (making both of them 0 or as close to 0 as you can get) and adjust the red value to however bright or dim you want it.
    BlissfulkillKensamaofmariWolfsingerSylviaWolfestarkiller1286
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited March 21, 2019
    I actually like a little green and blue in my reds, I am doing it intentionally, that's why I call it crimson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson. Gives it a more realistic hue than just blotch XXX,0,0.

:|
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    Eralea wrote: »
    The RGB model is additive, meaning that when you add colours together, they become lighter. (This is the opposite from subtractive colours, like inks and paints. It actually makes zero sense for a natural dye mixture to be additive, but that's Mabi for you, I guess.)

What's funnier is that homestead paint mixing kettle seems to be additive.

Meanwhile, I don't really have anything to dye at the moment, so I'm kind of scratching my head to figure out what I should make while we still have this event. Blood red seems to be a rare enough color that I also use that I should probably try to go for...I guess?
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn

Meanwhile, I don't really have anything to dye at the moment, so I'm kind of scratching my head to figure out what I should make while we still have this event. Blood red seems to be a rare enough color that I also use that I should probably try to go for...I guess?

I would start stocking up now and worrying about what you'll dye later. That's the whole point at this point. You will have some nice dyes for something in the future and you won't have to scour or pay for it.
    WolfandWolf
  • AerunisAerunis
    Mabinogi Rep: 800
    The minigame follows the RGB spectrum just like actual dyes do.

Cherries = Red
    Blueberries = Blue
    Herbs = Green

RGB ranges from the numbers 0 to 255, hence why you fail when surpassing either threshold

0/0/0 = Pure Black because there is no colour
    255/255/255 = Pure White because all three colours are at their max value

So it's all just a matter of knowing the colour spectrum and knowing which to combine to make a specific colour.

Here's a link to a Colour Picker You can find the colour you'd like and then it will display both the Hex # and the RGB value on the side.

Hope this helps! Enjoy the event!

KingEphySakura2503
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890

I'm actually not sure about that, because my attempts at making a budget white paint have been... entertaining, at best.

D3G6Y.png

The default green paint is a little darker than pure green light, so that probably has something to do with it. Still, mixing red and blue doesn't make the bright magenta an additive colour system would produce, and forget about making any kind of yellow with red and green.

D3G7u.png
    D3G9i.png

My best guess is that they've hacked together a mixing formula using either HSB or HSL, averaging out the brightness of the input paints (so that they don't get much lighter or darker if you only add colours), forcing you to use black/white paint. Maybe someone who's dug deeper into this knows the details.

I like unnatural edgy colours so it's been just reds and neon purples for me. 8) Having a stockpile of metals for future weapons/gear is great too.
    WolfandWolf
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    While we're on the subject of dyes
    Does anyone know any good dark blues? Like a deep rich blue with a hint of purple maybe.
    I could probably figure this out myself but I'm lazy XD
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Just google "hex colour picker" and adjust the slider.
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    Does anyone know any good dark blues? Like a deep rich blue with a hint of purple maybe.

Try something like what's on this page.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Sai wrote: »
    Wolfsinger wrote: »

Try something like what's on this page.

W.O.W. Thanks, I'm keeping this page the rest of the dye event! :D
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    I love making pure purple O 3o