Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

[COMPLETED] Scheduled Maintenance - April 24th

KatherzKatherz
Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
edited April 24, 2019 in Vault
Mabinogi will have a scheduled maintenance on Wednesday, April 24th. During this time, the game will be unavailable. Maintenance is expected to begin at 5:00 AM PDT and last approximately 12 hours.

maintenance_590x165.jpg

Please note that the estimated length of time for each maintenance is subject to change without notification.

- Time -
Wednesday, April 24th
Pacific (PDT, UTC-7): 5:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Eastern (EDT, UTC-4): 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Paris (CEST, UTC+2): 2:00 PM - 2:00 AM

To address the following:

• Weekly server upkeep.
  • Windows Update.
  • Server configuration changes and upgrades will be made.
  • Yarr har fiddle dee dee, Pirates and Partners are coming for thee. Do what you want cause a Milletian is free. You'll become a pirate!
  • April showers bring May flowers, with a new event!

- The Mabinogi Team

Comments

• OwntrolfOwntrolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,000
    server merge
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Owntrolf wrote: »
    server merge

Or...preparing for one. You would need a server upgrade before merging servers in the future. :)

Also still calling that they are only going to merge Ruairi and Tarlach for the time being.
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Alex's merchants are preparing for the cold market war.
    WolfsingerTheAki
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited April 24, 2019
    12 hour maintenance... Some people will miss their Coffee coins, R.I.P. I think that might be me too.
    LidrsterKensamaofmariroseangel
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Alshian wrote: »
    Alex's merchants are preparing for the cold market war.

9dnGeIh.png
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited April 24, 2019
    OAO TWELVE HOURS?! I haven't seen a maintenance that long since the origins of Iria! Please keep Ferghus and any kittens out of the server room!

anime-freak-out-gif-8.gif
    InJectTheFluxPoisonjustshowingCrimsọnJiantovioletkittWolfsingerAlexLightIcedrake
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Because this is an upgrade, which requires backing up data and transferring it. I made sure to document all my important stuff with screenshots featuring all the enchants and upgrades that cost $$$. Just in case anything bad happens I will expect nothing less than all of my items restored or replaced. I hope I will not have to break out any of those screenshots.

Let us pray to the goddess for everyone.
  • YukarikoYukariko
    Mabinogi Rep: 810
    Is there any way to somehow let users who can't log in today not miss out on a consecutive log in? I work night shifts so I'll be unable to play at all tonight :(
  • JiantoJianto
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,105
    Wanted more coffee coins
  • LeineiLeinei
    Gaea wrote: »
    Because this is an upgrade, which requires backing up data and transferring it. I made sure to document all my important stuff with screenshots featuring all the enchants and upgrades that cost $$$. Just in case anything bad happens I will expect nothing less than all of my items restored or replaced. I hope I will not have to break out any of those screenshots.

I wish they could have given us all a heads-up so we all could have equally prepared in such a fashion. =T
    orcabluewa
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Gaea wrote: »

Oh gosh now you've got me scared since I missed seeing this and preparing yesterday XDD
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Least I won't miss a day from the coffee event from this.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Just wanted to let people know, this is NOT a server merge. A la Katherz via the discord

5c6284eb5c.png?width=497&height=256
  • kairisoadorikairisoadori
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,725
    edited April 24, 2019
    You say its not a server merge but what els would take them 12 hours+ because long maintenance never end when they should if it isnt a server merge what could it be any ideas
  • OdinMOdinM
    Mabinogi Rep: 610
    edited April 24, 2019
    You say its not a server merge but what els would take them 12 hours+ because long maintenance never end when they should if it isnt a server merge what could it be any ideas

Data recovery on a failed storage array takes about that long. Given the current degraded performance, that'd be my first guess. RAID arrays start to get very complicated and time-consuming when they get large, and a 10 year old MMORPG is going to have an absolutely gigantic file size behind its working databases. Migrating all that data from a dying server to a new one takes a long time to do, and it is far simpler to make this migration while the database is not in use- such as the result of shutting the game down for an extended maintenance.

The server merge is not going to happen. It would require major functional changes to the game in order to deal with the name conflicts that would result, and Nexon would have to implement a cash shop item that allows players to change their names to deal with these conflicts without being an absolutely staggering customer service burden.

Besides, I'm pretty sure it was revealed years ago, circa 2014 or so, that the entire game is actually running on 1 physical machine to begin with. Hardware performance has improved relative to the game's needs to such an extent that where it used to be 1 server node per channel, now that 1 physical box can host multiple containers to maintain the same functional structure at a greatly reduced hosting cost to Nexon.
    Leinei wrote: »
    OAO TWELVE HOURS?! I haven't seen a maintenance that long since the origins of Iria! Please keep Ferghus and any kittens out of the server room!

You've missed a lot since then. As I recall in the same circa 2014, when the golden age gave way to the dark times of black robing exploits, the game was down for more than 24 hours at one point due to the need of an immediate fix for the hacks that were taking place. And somehow we're still ahead of Mabinogi EU, which was completely destroyed by the same exploits. I'm glad that mess is over.
    Yoriden
  • LeineiLeinei

It's not that I'm saying it's not a server merge, it's KATHERZ saying it's not a server merge as per the image via the Mabinogi Discord. Plus, it could easily be a hardware update/upgrade and the transfer of all data between them like Gaea says. That takes a long time. Ever build a new computer and have to transfer all your data onto it from your external harddrive? It takes a long time.
  • LidrsterLidrster
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,830
    edited April 24, 2019
    Greta wrote: »
    12 hour maintenance... Some people will miss their Coffee coins, R.I.P. I think that might be me too.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. What a nice maintenance for european players.
    We will probably miss one day because of it, killing the consecutive login count.
  • kairisoadorikairisoadori
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,725
    But OdinM Mabinogi should of had things like this fixed ages ago it isnt like they changed servers providers or did anything insane with the server i hope like having Ferghus fix it again and games like final fantasy xiv hasnt done an update over 3 hours in over 5 years even when we take new expansions into account overall
  • OdinMOdinM
    Mabinogi Rep: 610
    But OdinM Mabinogi should of had things like this fixed ages ago it isnt like they changed servers providers or did anything insane with the server i hope like having Ferghus fix it again and games like final fantasy xiv hasnt done an update over 3 hours in over 5 years even when we take new expansions into account overall

Server hardware doesn't last forever. Its been about 5 years since the last time I remember them talking about making hardware changes. That's a good lifespan for hardware in this usage, taking a beating every day from hundreds if not thousands of regular players. Wears out the hard drives, you couldn't even put normal SSDs here because they would get eaten and fail after a few months exposure. Specialty database server rated SSDs would be required to withstand the punishing of handling the game database.

The provider change that took place was Nexon NA changing who their internet provider was. That change didn't replace any server hardware, it only changed what connection they were using to link the servers to the rest of the world.

There are administrative techniques to reduce how long the downtimes are for situations like this, but they require structural changes to be made when the server is set up in the first place. Its entirely possible that such changes are not compatible with Mabinogi, or at least Nexon has their reasons for not making use of them. Probably the additional complexity required, and the staffing required to maintain the resulting server. Lets face it, having the game down is only inconvenient, its not the end of the world. Different story when your server runs a large corporation and a server outage means thousands of dollars a second in lost profits.

LeineiYoriden
  • TsumikkiTsumikki
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,200
    That's a big maintenance.
    Leinei