Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

[Announcement] Server Merge & FAQ

Comments

• VasumatiVasumati
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    i know they said more info is to come, but this is a pretty easy question to answer.

dear nexon, are you going to make the name change coupons available to Alexinians as well??
    i know we aren't getting merged but... i really want to change my damn name and there really ISN'T a reason we shouldn't have them... even if we have to pay. just make it happen pretty please??
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited May 22, 2019
    Vasumati wrote: »
    i know they said more info is to come, but this is a pretty easy question to answer.

dear nexon, are you going to make the name change coupons available to Alexinians as well??
    i know we aren't getting merged but... i really want to change my damn name and there really ISN'T a reason we shouldn't have them... even if we have to pay. just make it happen pretty please??

We're trying to get them to implement them within the week or next week from the server merge with new character and pet creation still disabled because of imminent trolls and griefers. If they release this BOTH servers would gain access to name change coupons.

DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
  • MyrillieMyrillie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,080
    I kinda wish they would be merging Alexina as well. When I first started, I played in Mari, but went over to Alexina. I love my Alexina account, but my family plays on Mari. Would so love to do dungeons and shadow missions with them! Playing on my old Mari account just isn't the same for me. So hope they eventually merge all the servers together.
    GretaNegumikoDJSparky
  • ZeroPantsZeroPants
    Mabinogi Rep: 855
    edited May 12, 2019
    When I heard about a possible server merge I already wondered what they'd do about duplicate names. I really don't look forward to having the server behind my characters' names. Why couldn't they have opted for a symbol? I had been hoping they'd do that... You know, kind of the way a second title works, but before the name. Like a little colored letter symbol, M, R, and T. Perhaps even allocate a different color per server symbol to discern them more. That way the actual original name doesn't really get butchered as much. Either that, or every name should just get their server behind the name per default, to create equality, cause now some people get to keep their name untouched, and some will basically get a second word plastered behind it that imo ruins the name. It isn't really fair. But I guess people that would have otherwise gotten lucky since their name only exists on one server would be pissed then, but still... I just find equality better since it's fair. And, even if we'd get a name change option for free, I just don't want to change it to a different name just to get rid of the tag. I am still more than happy with my main's username. I also honestly can't see it getting to the point either where I can be proud of it and feel like: "Yeah, see? I used to be from this server, that you never even knew about." I mean, how many new players are we seriously gonna get anymore where it's a special type of thing to have? Plus, even then, I don't care for that idea at all either.

Edit: In Final Fantasy XIV, you can run into people from a different server with the same name. Just like in Mabinogi, one of each name can exist on only one server, so this means you could run into someone with the same name. They've done it, so that it shows your server on your character info when someone would check your info, but not in your actual name. And only when you speak, it'll have @server behind your name in the chat. They could have just done it as something like that too...
  • SenjiSenji
    Mabinogi Rep: 720
    what was once an OLD Nao server then split into 3 then being Merge into and calling it " NEW NAO SERVER " .... killing the uniqueness that 1-3 year millitians names gained .... instead of being Senji now running around as Senji+NEXONDontcareif your the first to get the name
  • SenjiSenji
    Mabinogi Rep: 720
    edited May 12, 2019
    tagging user names with earliest creating with #001 and so on OR Tagging Mari being #001 (Old former Nao Server Users placed in Mari as far i know) Ruiri as #002 then Tarlach with #003 with the current chars out there and rest after that are RNG #tags

would result in higher avail of names than being tag Mari, Rui, Tar. ... if thats where its going then there was no point in merging this BS in the first place.

All i can say is that the Former Nao Server Users were KICKED so far to the corner with our tail between our legs and only cared for current Mari, Rui, Tarch Servers. Not an inch was cared for this event

then How the Hell are the new chars gonna be? +NewNao? cant be just +Nao cuz it was formally called a NaoServer........we really do have a Fergy President in NA Nexon.

May the Time of Server SEGREGATIONS Begin! Id like to see World PVP enabled for this change .... Mari Vs Rui VS Tarlach .... that be interesting to see...

Otherwise Nexon DO as stated above and Not half A**ing the MERGE.

if this is going thru then i really hope that the Server TAG STAYS in the Char Info and not with (ALT)

....could have edited it -.- and be on the same post..
  • GembiGembi
    Mabinogi Rep: 635
    edited May 12, 2019
    Oh my goodness! What an exciting time for everyone. (I hope) It has been awhile since I played, but I feel more people are going to come back for the new feel. I hope the maintenance won't bring any issues to the player's accounts.
  • WoollywitchWoollywitch
    Mabinogi Rep: 435
    Im not sure if this is a good question or not but will the items in my inventory, dressing room, and pets be safe? Should I screenshot all of my stuff as a precaution? If anything were to disappear, where do I go to ask for it back?
    FOXAssassin
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    You'll probably lose it because Nexon has a history of breaking things in every maint/patch.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Im not sure if this is a good question or not but will the items in my inventory, dressing room, and pets be safe? Should I screenshot all of my stuff as a precaution? If anything were to disappear, where do I go to ask for it back?

If you only have characters on one server per account, then you should be okay. If there is another YOU on another server you may lose your name. But if they ever do a full merge (and they do it right) you'll be able to get it back. Katherz said you will lose your UI, although I don't really see why you would permanently lose it, but that's what they said.
  • WoollywitchWoollywitch
    Mabinogi Rep: 435
    Im not sure what a UI is but I do have characters on other servers with the same name. I dont care too much about losing any names. Im very concerned with how they will transfer my stuff though. Ive heard people say that they'll be taking stuff out of there dressing room to be safe but I dont have the inventory to do that. Ive thought about selling alot of things but I love so much of my items I cant do it. I like collecting things both clothing and just random items like umbrellas, instruments and those little stuffed animals in the bags. I like to collect funky robes and hats. Ive recently been getting quite a few of those large fans. I love all my items. Normally I wait till events to get pets for more inventory but pet creation is disabled. And I dont have anymore room for more bags in the character slot. Im not sure what to do.
    FOXAssassin
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    I've set up an experiment to see how exactly the Dressing Room will break post-merge.

tumblr_inline_pra0ihhRIb1tosjsi_640.png

tumblr_inline_pra0irjFcd1tosjsi_640.png

tumblr_inline_pra0jggyZK1tosjsi_640.png

These three Eras are on the same account and will all be moved to the Nao server, combining their dressing rooms into one. Anyone wanna bet on what will happen?
    FOXAssassin
  • PanPan
    Nao's going to crash and wipe.
  • ZeroPantsZeroPants
    Mabinogi Rep: 855
    Unless they make a whole new code or something to implement the ability to have more of the same item in one slot in the dressing room, with like a drop down menu to select the one you want to take out if you click on it, yeah. I can't see this not causing any issues. They can hardly expect everyone to take out the stuff from characters on other servers, especially since so many people have space issues as well to even be able to do so.

Maybe they'll keep the dressing rooms separate so for example characters originating from Ruari get to keep the Ruari version of the dressing room, and characters from Tarlach keep the version they had on Tarlach, so basically the dressing rooms will still be accessed through their own "server" and which one you will access depends on the server the character came from.

I guess that sounds a bit convoluted though but it's better than nothing. I wouldn't know what else they could do to be accommodating in the best way possible other than the option to be able to store more than 1 of each item. They'd better make this work out well, else I fear they may as well close the servers instead of merging them cause it will cause people to leave, it's already happening just from the announcement itself, after all.

I also don't understand exactly why we'd lose our UI. It's different and stored per character, it's not a specific server wide thing. so shouldn't that data just be easy to transfer, there won't be any duplicate issues after all. =/

All these possible issues this merge can bring, makes me pretty wary.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    So if Alexina's market has what I want...I'm still screwed?

UGH. My OCD continues...

T_________________________T

This is why I only wanted a market merge...
  • RaykaRayka
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    edited May 13, 2019
    Eralea wrote: »
    I've set up an experiment to see how exactly the Dressing Room will break post-merge.

These three Eras are on the same account and will all be moved to the Nao server, combining their dressing rooms into one. Anyone wanna bet on what will happen?

the shoes will fusion into one and become <shoe's name>+3
    and the 3 characters will perform a dragon ball style fusion and become a new race with long ears, high stature, big build and able to use final hit final shot and final strike all togather !!!???
    Eralea
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 13, 2019

Oh, that's clever! Which ever survives tells you which of the three servers the other two were merged into. So, say your Mari stuff survives, then you know Nao is really Mari renamed. Nice!
    ZeroPants wrote: »
    Unless they make a whole new code or something to implement the ability to have more of the same item in one slot in the dressing room, with like a drop down menu to select the one you want to take out if you click on it, yeah. I can't see this not causing any issues. They can hardly expect everyone to take out the stuff from characters on other servers, especially since so many people have space issues as well to even be able to do so.

Maybe they'll keep the dressing rooms separate so for example characters originating from Ruari get to keep the Ruari version of the dressing room, and characters from Tarlach keep the version they had on Tarlach, so basically the dressing rooms will still be accessed through their own "server" and which one you will access depends on the server the character came from.

I guess that sounds a bit convoluted though but it's better than nothing. I wouldn't know what else they could do to be accommodating in the best way possible other than the option to be able to store more than 1 of each item. They'd better make this work out well, else I fear they may as well close the servers instead of merging them cause it will cause people to leave, it's already happening just from the announcement itself, after all.

Unfortunately, the clumsy gawdawful naming kludge they're using shows that they're accomplishing this merge with no new code but database manipulation alone. It should be noted that these issues of storage will only be of concern to folks that have characters on multiple servers on the same account. If your account characters are all on one server only, then you should be okay. The dressing rooms won't turn into virtual partitions based on the old servers because the old server name stored in each player record is going to be changed to Nao. Their kludge for this solution is going to be to ask us to deal with it by emptying all redundant copies, just watch.

Bank items should be fine. But bank gold will have to be merged with a script running on the database. So, that should be okay too.
    ZeroPants wrote: »
    I also don't understand exactly why we'd lose our UI. It's different and stored per character, it's not a specific server wide thing. so shouldn't that data just be easy to transfer, there won't be any duplicate issues after all. =/

All these possible issues this merge can bring, makes me pretty wary.

Totally, I don't see why it should be affected other than Katherz said so. But that could just be Nexon getting ahead of the curve and being prudent to cover their hinnies just in case.

If they eventually go to a full merge, and do it right, that will correct any name loss/theft problems not just moving forward but retroactively.
    Rhey wrote: »
    So if Alexina's market has what I want...I'm still screwed?

UGH. My OCD continues...

T_________________________T

This is why I only wanted a market merge...

Probably, Alexina should be unaffected? But I can't say with absolute confidence.

EDIT: Wait, that's confusing the way I wrote it. I think you'll be okay since Alexina will PROBABLY NOT be affected.
    FOXAssassin
  • SikelhSikelh
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
    Personally I think they should look at character creation date in the case of duplicates and allow the oldest one to keep the name without the addition. So instead of Guy1mari and Guy1tarlach if mari was made first you get Guy1 and Guy1tarlach.
    AkkedoDragoolfireWoollywitchDarkpixie99Danievictria
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 14, 2019

You've inspired me to do the same! :)

8rGzaWW

So the idea here is that:
    1. everyone has a Bracelet
    2. Tarlach and Ruari have Pet Instructor Glove
    3. Tarlach and Mari have Cores' Thief Glove
    4. Ruari and Mari have Studded Bracelet

Then, by seeing which survives, we can see which of the servers was used as the destination database and the order that the other two servers were added in.

EDIT: DOH! The Cores' Thief Gloves are the same colour!
    <logs into Mari, replaces with a dark grey version>
  • PanPan
    Alexina merge when?