Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Something is going on at Nexon HQ from news

Comments

• Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited July 9, 2019
    Town Square rant:
    Honestly, the trade wars thing is worse than going back to Gaia Online and posting factual reasons, only for (Anosognosia) Pride Folk to come out and say that they're offended at every turn.
    That wasn't a metaphor, either.
    I really had to post on a thread telling them why item names can't be changed, unless it's a name that goes against ToS.
    The sad fact is that newbies these days can't even realize that seeing unintended symbolism in an item name is a sign of mental illness. (Apophenia)
    The other fact that they wanted to change an item name because of their "fee fee" issue makes me wonder why alternative schools even exist if they're not utilized across the states.
    (Even after repeatedly telling them that my words aren't intended to be rude... more "Reee"ing.)

Criticism and bluntness are dead, I tell you.
    ...... Psyche! Nexon is in a pile of dung at the moment, as even Nintendo items haven't had lowered prices in a long while.
    Too much exportation can be a very bad thing if you're unprepared.

As for the scrapped sale, here's an article.

As Kim officially scrapped his plans to sell his stake in NXC, it seems to be difficult to openly proceed with the sale of Nexon for a while. Instead, he is expected to focus on raising the growth potential of Nexon. This is because he confirmed the market’s view that although the company has its cash cows – MapleStory and Dungeon Fighter – they are not enough.
    Kim is forecast to raise the corporate value through an aggressive M&A strategy as new game products are needed to have an additional growth. In fact, Nexon bought an additional stake worth 110 billion won (US$93.28 million) in Swedish gaming firm Embark Studiosin July 1, making it its subsidiary.

Oooh, he's focusing on the growth. Niiiiice...
    What better time to milk profit, than when the trade wars prevent other companies from making the profit they want?
    tenor.gif

Nexon becomes majority investor in Patrick Söderlund’s Embark Studios Article
    Owen-Mahoney-Pachter.png?w=578&strip=all
    Above: "Communities That Last for Years" with Owen Mahoney, President & CEO of Nexon and moderated by Michael Pachter
    Image Credit: Jason Wilson/GamesBeat

Embark’s founder, Patrick Söderlund, joined the Nexon board of directors after Nexon made its initial investment in Embark in November 2018. Söderlund was previously an executive at Battlefield developer DICE and Electronic Arts. Now Nexon owns 66.1% of Embark’s shares as it hopes to use the studio to expand its influence in Western markets.

Patrick Soderlund's Embark Studios has been acquired by Nexon Article
    As part of the deal, Soderlund will remain on Nexon's board of directors, a position he was granted when the first investment was made, and it seems that everyone's delighted with how things went.
    Early Artwork from a new game:
    12832_soderlund_bcc6017bddf5811249a62b9d985e6c2e.jpg
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    In news regarding Nexon.
    At the beginning of the month, they announced their acquisition of Swedish based game developer Embark.
    https://pdf.irpocket.com/C3659/CAxD/U68r/jN5N.pdf

Yesterday, they announced that Quarter 2 earnings will be released 1 month later.
    https://pdf.irpocket.com/C3659/Uxy1/KSk6/Jh1C.pdf
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Sweet, so the press is late to the party then.
    edited July 9, 2019

The press is usually late, or rather, filter out things they deem not important.
    Darkpixie99Wolfsinger
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99

The press is usually late, or rather, filter out things they deem not important.

Yeah, humanity crises usually sells more papers. If virtual newspapers still have subscription fees, that is.

Yeah, humanity crises usually sells more papers. If virtual newspapers still have subscription fees, that is.

I'm interested to see what their 2nd Q earnings are after a seemingly tumultuous 2nd Q globally in many sectors, and the flight of investment from the canceled sale of NXC. Their acquisition of Embark enabled them to offer more shares to the market as well, so it will be interesting if investors are willing to bite now that they have decided to stay put as they are. 2nd Q results, definitely something to watch for.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited July 9, 2019
    I'm interested to see what their 2nd Q earnings are after a seemingly tumultuous 2nd Q globally in many sectors, and the flight of investment from the canceled sale of NXC. Their acquisition of Embark enabled them to offer more shares to the market as well, so it will be interesting if investors are willing to bite now that they have decided to stay put as they are. 2nd Q results, definitely something to watch for.

A reasonable outlook, though a studio with nothing of profit will only drain money until something is produced.
    I take it the meeting went well, since even the press confirmed everyone's happy at their current positions.
    Though what worries me most is what Soderlund has been up to these 12 years outside of EA.
    Is he on Nexon's gachapon train, or is he aware of the rising loot box tensions?
    It's important to know if more than just the graphics of Nexon games will improve, as the industry will likely change the most in 2020.

A reasonable outlook, though a studio with nothing of profit will only drain money until something is produced.
    I take it the meeting went well, since even the press confirmed everyone's happy at their current positions.
    Though what worries me most is what Soderlund has been up to these 12 years outside of EA.
    Is he on Nexon's gachapon train, or is he aware of the rising loot box tensions?
    It's important to know if more than just the graphics of Nexon games will improve, as the industry will likely change the most in 2020.

I would believe game companies are aiming towards the future of the industry as the market grows and the need for increased regulation as well to prevent it from going out of control. With the outlook on gachas not as good, I think marketing teams will need to produce a product/service that will still generate revenue but not fall under the "gambling" label. Rather than see gachas get eliminated, I would see gachas evolving into a different product, but still having similar functions.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited July 10, 2019
    I agree, regulations and revisions are in dire need of heavy consideration before multinational governments take hold of the loot box monopoly.
    I also happened to find an interesting article on the matter:

Four children spent nearly £550 in three weeks buying player packs to play the Fifa football video game online on the family's Nintendo Switch console.
    Article
    Mr Carter, from Hampshire, admits that he did not take full precautions to limit access to his Nintendo account: he did not use a unique Pin number and the emailed receipts were sent to an old email address with a full inbox.
    "I just never thought [the children] would do it," he said.
    He and his wife only realised what had happened when their card was declined elsewhere because their bank account was empty.
    _107790269_66118238_454327302032717_5523664457638608896_n.png
    Fifa 19 has been certified as suitable for players from the age of three.
    Mr Carter said his children, who are all under the age of 10, felt very remorseful and had not understood the impact of what they were doing.
    However, he also said he felt that the in-game concept of buying player packs without knowing what was inside them was unethical.
    "You pay £40 for the game, which is a lot of money in itself, but then the only way to get a great team is essentially by gambling," he said, referring to online play.
    "They spent £550 and they still never got their favourite player, Lionel Messi."

And the issue in this is that young children may have the concept of right and wrong, but they never truly understand the impact of things which were not explained to them.
    If your credit card is open, and they're tempted to keep spending without actually knowing the value of real money, then you're going to see more situations like this.
    That last line is truly heartbreaking, and viable proof of rate rigging to commit transaction scam.
    Again, going back to gachas... the product of a gacha has existed long before it became an electronic gaming items.
    Collectible cards for a very long time are distributed goods in the market that function similarly to a gacha, yet they have not caused the problems of gambling that electronic gachas have. The same goes for the toys and gadgets sold in gacha machines.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited July 10, 2019
    Again, going back to gachas... the product of a gacha has existed long before it became an electronic gaming items.
    Collectible cards for a very long time are distributed goods in the market that function similarly to a gacha, yet they have not caused the problems of gambling that electronic gachas have. The same goes for the toys and gadgets sold in gacha machines.

The problem isn't that Nexon utilized it since 10 years ago, it lies within the staff controlled pull ratio.
    Standard issue physical gachapons contain no more than 5-10 items, all of which children can physically trade with.
    Modern virtual gachapons may instead contain 10-100 items total.
    Even with the disclosed rates on virtual gachapons, you still have no idea what you will get.
    That spending money for something of value at a mere chance has always been gambling by definition.
    It's just that because the physical products can be traded or resold, the entire gachapon thing became a legal grey area.

Nexon has the Player Shops/Auction House in Mabinogi, but EA has no F2P standards implemented to allow users to obtain items without real cash. One could argue that the only thing Nexon could be busted for is rate rigging, rather than gamble endorsement.
    Irregardless, EA abused the ability to rig the lottery pool and rates in order to make a dishonest profit.
    EA got busted, can't hold a logical or smart legal battle, and now they are part of one of the two reasons Nexon's company auction was no longer seen as liquid.
    Those two reasons recapped:
    -Lootboxes
    -Trade Wars

And now Nexon has acquired a studio which hasn't even completed development of a videogame.
    When the 18 months in the EU come to pass where companies will be forced to submit scientific and legal evidence on the matter...
    UK users of Mabinogi stand the risk of same drop of Cash Shop investment as Belgium.
    This means more profit loss for Nexon KR, possibly even termination within the staff.
    After that, NA users could see the same line of buffoonery when Uncle Sam calls loot boxes to the stand.

JP and KR might be fine and dandy with gachapons, but the NA industry will only continue to decline in interest.
    I have reason to believe Nexon's ship is going to be running rather tightly, until they can quickly adapt to the modern market.
    After spending money on an acquisition, they had better have something more to show in 2020 other than Peria Chronicles for an already unpopular Google Stadia.
    I would say that Korea is one of the most heavily regulated countries on gaming. Gachas have long been regulated in Asia before these recent issues in the Western world. Everyone knows that China heavily regulates as well. Yet, despite the heavy regulations, China and Korea remain Nexon's revenue core. And I see that growing no matter what happens out in the west.

Gachas won't be completely banned, they'll be restructured to fall in coordination of the legality of whatever new legislation to regulate them come about. Lobbies will spend and pitch enough to legislators, as much as opponents would to create balance. A complete ban shits the balance of power in favor to the opponents, and that is not desirable as that will give them fuel and ammunition to push further regulation of gaming and other forms of entertainment in the current era.

As for the acquisition of the developer company, an business acquisition isn't always one that is done for the results. There are many reasons for acquisition; talent, technology and other things as well. Nexon is a large and vast corporation with many different type of holdings, not just video games. And just because they couldn't sell the company, doesn't mean they shouldn't stop diversifying their assets and continue to grow as an industry leader.

A strong business doesn't mope around when something doesn't go their way, they analyze and pounce on opportunities created even when things don't necessarily go their way.
    Darkpixie99
    Not directly related, one of the bidders, Bain Capital completed an acquisition of advertising firm WPP's market research unit Kantar.
    WPP needs the money to pay of debts. WPP is the world's largest advertising firm.

I tell you, these equity companies are scary.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Not directly related, one of the bidders, Bain Capital completed an acquisition of advertising firm WPP's market research unit Kantar.
    WPP needs the money to pay of debts. WPP is the world's largest advertising firm.

I tell you, these equity companies are scary.

More money problems, just about sums up why mister Kim closed down the company sale.
    Why bother with a handful of chums as deep in the debt water as you are, when you got an ex EA executive to rub elbows with?
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited July 19, 2019
    Speaking of problems.....

Nexon America and Final Strike Games have agreed to amicably part ways.

RIP Rocket Arena, Nexon's only chance at out competing Fortnite.

AgonizingFlakyAfricanpiedkingfisher-size_restricted.gif
    Speaking of problems.....

Nexon America and Final Strike Games have agreed to amicably part ways.

RIP Rocket Arena, Nexon's only chance at out competing Fortnite.

AgonizingFlakyAfricanpiedkingfisher-size_restricted.gif

And a good revenue source.
    Now, time to garner more attention for us Mabi faithful.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Psh, good revenue source?
    The Nexon Rocket Arena forums hadn't even been updated by anyone at Nexon, or uh... who were they again?
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited July 20, 2019
    Wow no one wants to touch Nexon and those that were mildly interested grossly underbid. I can say that this is potentially worse than being bought out. The future of Nexon is looking dim.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Gaea wrote: »
    Wow no one wants to touch Nexon and those that were mildly interested grossly underbid. I can say that this is potentially worse than being bought out. The future of Nexon is looking dim.

I'll have to update the lootbox thread with a new video YongYea made.
    Everyone's bailing ship, even Gaia Online lost investors.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    I guess they know that Nexon without gachas cant make anything else to work. And since the whole lootbox/gacha thing in games are getting really heated topic lately...